Author Topic: Goatdog's Project 505  (Read 163325 times)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Goatdog's Project 505
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2009, 02:46:14 AM »
DEV, what would a ham setup run me? Something capable, but not top of the line.
That's a loaded question brother. ;)

Depends on how many resources (frequencies) you'd like to have at your disposal, & how simple you'd like the operation to be.

PM me your specific requirements & I'll take a look.  Generally speaking we could probably get you in a decent set up for anywhere from $200 to $500, it's largely going to depend on how versatile you want the comms to be.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:46:29 AM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Goatdog62

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2009, 09:04:44 AM »
Will PM you soon DEV. Do you have a link that is designed for a simpleton like me to understand basic Ham stuff? I can setup a sat system and talk around the world, but commercial stuff is voodoo to me.

Is it feasible to setup a ham at my TN residence (with my wife/family) and a mobile setup in my BOV that can talk to her? Am I just dreaming?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:30:18 PM by Goatdog »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »
Will PM you soon DEV. Do you have a link that is designed for a simpleton like me to undersatnd basic Ham stuff? I can setup a sat system and talk around the world, but commercial stuff is voodoo to me.
Getting Started in HAM Radio

Is it feasible to setup a ham at my TN residence (with my wife/family) and a mobile setup in my BOV that can talk to her? Am I just dreaming?
Yes, it's possible.

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »
I am hoping the Yakima's fairing will keep wind noise to a minimum during my highway usage. I do a lot of driving.

http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/product/8007070/loadwarrior.aspx

I am intrigued by the RTT (Roof Top Tent) models.

The fairing is a godsend for those Yakima racks.  It was unbearable without it on our hightower rain gutters!

The RTT is the next big purchase for us.  We are heading into the North West Territories for a couple weeks and everyone in our group has a RTT.  We are going to go over them closely and see what model/brand to go after.  There not cheap, but look well worth it.  We are struggling for room on this trip with still trying to sleep in the rig.

That rack that timsuggs posted is very intriguing.  I really like it.  Weight might be an issue as it gets pounded out going down the road??

Goatdog62

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
Getting Started in HAM Radio
Yes, it's possible.

Is it possible in the $500 - $1000 range, or possible in the Donald Trump realm?

Thanks for the link too DEV!

Goatdog62

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »
The fairing is a godsend for those Yakima racks.  It was unbearable without it on our hightower rain gutters!

The RTT is the next big purchase for us.  We are heading into the North West Territories for a couple weeks and everyone in our group has a RTT.  We are going to go over them closely and see what model/brand to go after.  There not cheap, but look well worth it.  We are struggling for room on this trip with still trying to sleep in the rig.

That rack that timsuggs posted is very intriguing.  I really like it.  Weight might be an issue as it gets pounded out going down the road??

Thanks for the fairing info. I was concerned.

The RTT's I have looked at fall between $750 and $1900 or so. I really like them. They look like they pretty much take up all the room up there, but I guess that is balanced by not needing to leave room inside for napping.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2009, 07:11:40 PM »
Is it possible in the $500 - $1000 range, or possible in the Donald Trump realm?

Thanks for the link too DEV!
For $1000 you can get a pretty damn nice "do almost everything" set up.

If that's the price range, I already have some gear picked out.  I can send you model #'s & specs.

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »
The RTT's I have looked at fall between $750 and $1900 or so. I really like them. They look like they pretty much take up all the room up there, but I guess that is balanced by not needing to leave room inside for napping.

That would be OK if you have the room inside for other gear.  Personally I don't like hauling fuel or anything heavy on a rack so the RTT is a perfect option.  The idea of having your bedding ready as soon as your tent is deployed is very appealing.  And I think the bigger RTT are under 150lbs??

My problem is deciding on a brand like the Eezi-awns that are tried and true but $$ or looking at the ARB and Camping labs that are Chinese knock offs (in a sense)

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
For $1000 you can get a pretty damn nice "do almost everything" set up.

If that's the price range, I already have some gear picked out.  I can send you model #'s & specs.

I can't do much comm-wise at the moment, what with being unemployed and all, but could you break it down by price level for the rest of us? Maybe a starter set for $x, then a mid-range set for $Y, and a high-end set for $z? I'm guessing radio set, antenna(s), amp(?) and ? ? ?

I'm going to check out the Getting Started link . . . .

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
I can't do much comm-wise at the moment, what with being unemployed and all, but could you break it down by price level for the rest of us? Maybe a starter set for $x, then a mid-range set for $Y, and a high-end set for $z? I'm guessing radio set, antenna(s), amp(?) and ? ? ?

I'm going to check out the Getting Started link . . . .
I can as long as you realize my needs won't necessarily meet your needs.  That's why I asked GD what specific requirements he was looking for in comm gear.

Goatdog62

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
If you're telling me that, during my epic 505 mile journey post-SHTF, I'll be able to grab a microphone on a mobile ham setup in the BOV and talk to my family at our TN home on a base station ham...I'm all over that idea.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2009, 10:33:09 PM »
If you're telling me that, during my epic 505 mile journey post-SHTF, I'll be able to grab a microphone on a mobile ham setup in the BOV and talk to my family at our TN home on a base station ham...I'm all over that idea.
I wish it was that simple....

Unfortunately there are, or can be, a lot of factors that determine whether or not you actually get thru to the home base.

Goatdog62

« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:41 PM »
Other than atmospheric conditions and the right equipment, what would be the next hurdle?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »
Other than atmospheric conditions and the right equipment, what would be the next hurdle?
Atmospheric conditions will be the biggest factor IMO.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »

Well repeaters too, right?  If you have a physical disaster (say, another country bombing us, or mass earthquakes across the US or something drastic and dramatic like that), you may lose repeaters necessary to make the call.  I think.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2009, 03:14:11 AM »
   500 miles is really stretching it even with repeaters. GD ham is your best option for comms hands down though. You would probably get a hundred miles with a repeater unless you hit a linked system and maybe 50 miles line of sight if your lucky. On HF at night though you might hit 500 miles but it would go back to atmospheric conditions and getting the right bounce.
   How tall are your mountains in your area?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2009, 03:19:31 AM »
   Check out Brians toyota he has an awesome site.
http://www.brian894x4.com/

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2009, 04:13:11 AM »
Well repeaters too, right?  If you have a physical disaster (say, another country bombing us, or mass earthquakes across the US or something drastic and dramatic like that), you may lose repeaters necessary to make the call.  I think.
Practically speaking all a repeater does is extend your line of sight, they can extend it for quite a distance, but not enough to talk across a couple of states.  Unless, like Bail...er...Beetle pointed out, it's a linked system.

I wouldn't depend on the repeaters when the SHTF.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »
Practically speaking all a repeater does is extend your line of sight, they can extend it for quite a distance, but not enough to talk across a couple of states.  Unless, like Bail...er...Beetle pointed out, it's a linked system.
I wouldn't depend on the repeaters when the SHTF.

Ahhh...  <insert Mad Scientist cackle here>  I see another application for my "balloon hoisted antenna" idea here.  "IF" you could ground tether a winchable balloon system capable of hoisting an antenna 1500', 2500', 5000' feet above your horizon in the black of night, post SHTF at your BOL...

Yeah, I know, it's pretty far fetched logistically, but just think about for a minute...  Coast to Coast!

Tim.

Goatdog62

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »
   500 miles is really stretching it even with repeaters. GD ham is your best option for comms hands down though. You would probably get a hundred miles with a repeater unless you hit a linked system and maybe 50 miles line of sight if your lucky. On HF at night though you might hit 500 miles but it would go back to atmospheric conditions and getting the right bounce.
   How tall are your mountains in your area?

The mountains are the tallest east of the Mississippi. Mount Mitchell at 6684' (tallest), Mount Leconte 6593', Clingmans Dome 6643, and Mount Guyot 6621' are in the way. As would be many smaller 5000+' peaks. Even from a different angle the Shenandoah Valley (and hence the Appalachian trail and all of Virginia's tallest peaks) would be in the way.

Cool link Beetle.

Goatdog62

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2009, 09:06:31 AM »
Ahhh...  <insert Mad Scientist cackle here>  I see another application for my "balloon hoisted antenna" idea here.  "IF" you could ground tether a winchable balloon system capable of hoisting an antenna 1500', 2500', 5000' feet above your horizon in the black of night, post SHTF at your BOL...

Yeah, I know, it's pretty far fetched logistically, but just think about for a minute...  Coast to Coast!

Tim.

No problem Tim. I can see me now:

"Scotty...put down those blasted dilithium crystals and hoist the winchable balloon to 5000'. Spock...find me a green tinted alien woman to have sex with."

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
No problem Tim. I can see me now:
 "Scotty...put down those blasted dilithium crystals and hoist the winchable balloon to 5000'. Spock...find me a green tinted alien woman to have sex with."

I thought it was Uhura that booked the "green tinted" entertainment, since she was the comm officer and had all those kinky long distance conversations going on all the time.  But that's another thread entirely!

Post SHTF will definitely be "out of the box" and will require some out of the box thinking AND solutions for the modern survivalist.  My "air antenna" was originall conceived by me for SAR Command Post comm for remote mountainous terrain to enable a better signal coverage down in the valleys where we typically found ourselves without comm.  I tinkered with several different designs including a balloon hoisted reflector antenna that basically was "visible" to all from anywhere in the search area and would "reflect" a signal so that others could receive it.  It was marginally effective.

Tim.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »
The mountains are the tallest east of the Mississippi. Mount Mitchell at 6684' (tallest), Mount Leconte 6593', Clingmans Dome 6643, and Mount Guyot 6621' are in the way. As would be many smaller 5000+' peaks. Even from a different angle the Shenandoah Valley (and hence the Appalachian trail and all of Virginia's tallest peaks) would be in the way.

Cool link Beetle.

You might go on line and see if the ham radio clubs in your area can tell you the "footprint" of the repeaters. With those heights you might get some good distance out of them.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »
   Check out Brians toyota he has an awesome site.
http://www.brian894x4.com/

THANKS for that link Beetle!  Another +1 fer ya my friend. 

This guy's site is FABULOUS!  I LOVE this kind of stuff!  Got anymore links along this line?

Tim.

Goatdog62

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2009, 05:29:58 PM »
I added the Yakima Load Warrior Roof Rack, It cost me $199 shipped from BikeGuys.com. They sent it in TWO days! Originally I thought the 44" version was big enough but, after I put it together, I realized it needed the extension. I ordered it from BikeGuys.com again for $96 shipped, again the two day arrival. Real impressed by those guys.

It screwed together with some effort. Lining up the holes on each section wasn't real easy. The instructions were for multiple applications and you had to interpret which parts applied to you. I used blue Loctite on all screws. Blue is good, because it holds well but you can still unscrew it without difficulty. The fairing came with a great big YAKIMA logo across the front. I reversed it as they aren't paying me to advertise for them. The YAKIMA logo is visible from behind if you are up high and looking for it, so I might try to cover it up. I'll end up advertising the PIAA driving lights that I ordered last night, because they say PIAA on them also, but what's a man gonna do?

Attaching it to the existing Toyota roof rails was not hard at all, just time consuming. The entire rack only weighs 30 lbs and it was an easy one goat lift. I measured over and over again before I even tightened one bracket, then continued to measure throughout the process. I can say with some degree of certainty that it is centered along the 505's axis. I placed it forward enough to make sure the spoiler on the liftgate wouldn't come close to it and any loads would be distributed as evenly as I could make them. The brackets on this thing are very strong, works of art really. I'm glad I didn't go cheap and get a lesser rack, could have done so at 1/3 the cost, but it may have been too fragile.

The brackets are held on by large hand tightened plastic covered nuts. There are no instructions on torquing them down, so I just used common sense. Your hand might get sore if you tighten them as much as I did, but I am sure that they will stay put. I did some rather gorilla-like testing on them and I am happy. I will check them again soon and every so often after that.

The Yakima has a huge amount of accessories available. Things like bike racks, canoe/kayak racks, shovel and Hi-Lift jack attachments. I have a roof bag that fits in there perfectly and still leaves over 20" in front of behind it. The extension also came with a brace bar that can be placed anywhere within the rack to maintain rigidity when flexing over rocks and, more importantly to me, help keep cargo from shifting.

The Bull bar is made by Hunter. It cost me $129 shipped, it took four days staright from the manufacturer in TX. It is very nice, but only something I will use as a stopgap. As soon as the warranty runs out on 505 I will be doing a major Phase IV upgrade. This will include an Old Man Emu lift, ARB air lockers, 31" wheel/tire combo, and an ARB or Shrockworks bumper. If I'd put on the bumper now, I would have had to lift the thing now too. There are a number of things I want to do before that.

I got the bull bar for mounting lights, not for vehicle protection. It will provide minor protection but is not even close to what an ARB or Shrockworks bumper kit will do.

Mounting was very straightforward. Instructions were a one page sheet with one diagram. You don't need more than that. It came with extra washers, probably because, unlike the bull bar itself, the bolts and nut kit is applicable to many vehicles.

It took me a moment to get the nuts loose on the bumper mount underneath the 505. I am not at home with my mountain of tools. I am 505 miles away with just some basics. I fashioned a cheater pipe out of my 2" ball hitch and got the 4 nuts loosened (two per side).

After that everything went on pretty easily. Once again, I did everything loose and measured a billion times to make sure it was centered. Then I cranked it to 30 ft lbs on the bumper and 65 on the brackets, per the instruction sheet.

The bull bar already had tabs attached to it for adding fog or driving lights. I was dismayed to see they were off center by 1/8 of an inch. If, after I get the PIAA's mounted, I can see the offset I will fashion a cure for that. I have a couple options with that but will wait to see if it is an issue.

The Yakima Load Warrior instructions and the messy blue Loctite I use on everything.

Yakima logo. I don't desire this to be visible.

Fortunately, the reverse side was blank.

This is the two ends. The extension I forgot to photograph prior to mounting it on the car. It is powdercoated.

The Hunter Bull Bar is also powdercoated. It doesn't weigh much at all, in fact I held it on with my left hand while I wrenched with my right with no strain at all. It is really only a light bar. Very nice finish on it.

The brackets seem pretty sturdy and fit perfectly.

They are also powdercoated.

The rack with the reversed fairing. It is cool that the fairing folds forward out of the way should I need to carry a load longer than the rack itself.

The Yakima logo can be found if you look for it. I'm not sure how to cover it up. In Phase IV I will add lights to the rack and the fairing will go away, making the problem moot.

On a whim i threw a fire extinguisher into the left rear door water bottle pocket. It fit snug, doesn't rattle, and comes out when I pull it out. Perfect actually. I'll put the other one on the passenger side and not worry about mounting them anywhere.

I drove down the Interstate at 75 mph and started to hear the wind from the rack when I listened for it, with the stereo playing softly. With the stereo muted, I could definitely tell it was there from as little as 55 mph, but it was not loud at all and I got very used to it. I am used to the dead quiet ride of a Toyota, but compromises are a way of life for all of us. It will probably affect my gas mileage slightly too. I'm pretty sure the lift, bumpers, and bigger tires will affect my mileage too when I get around to it. Oh well, I guess Al Gore will scratch me from the Christmas list now. ;D

What's next? The PIAA driving lights. I already have a great pair of OEM fog lights on there, so the driving lights will enhance my distance vision.

Maybe some Silverstar Ultras for high and low beam bulb replacement. Need to research that though. I loved them on my Silverado, but am also looking at HID conversion kits too.

The sleeper and storage in the rear of 505 will also get some attention very soon.

Yesterday, I tried to get the left and right front windows tinted to match the rest of the factory tinted windows, which are at 20%. But the shop I went to said that 50% was all Virginia allows. I see darker than that all the time. I told him I'm a Tennessean and he still wouldn't do it, though I think he hinted at doing it for more $. Screw that. I had 20% put on my Silverado in TN a couple years ago, so I'll get it done when I get home.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:38:03 PM by Goatdog »

Copyright 1972

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »
Nice Rack Man!   ;D

Where were the pic's of yer' bull bar?  I only saw a "Calf bar" in yer pic's!  LOL!!!!!   :D
I guess that'll do till you turn the key on phase IV

Good lookin out with the fire extinguisher!  You reminded me I need to get me one for our rig.  I think that's one thing people tend to forget when building our rigs.  Not being able to put out your burrning truck, tends to be a buzz kill.....   :(

Keep the updates commin'.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
Nice Rack Man!   ;D

I bet he never expected to hear that in his lifetime CR1972 <grin>.

Tim.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
Nothing like a PDSWAT license plate and a skull & crossbones front plate to hide your BOV in plain sight!!!!!  Naw, that doesn't scream "I'm a badass - come get my stuff!!" - Not at all!! ;D

Nice update though  . . . . Thanks.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
Nothing like a PDSWAT license plate and a skull & crossbones front plate to hide your BOV in plain sight!!!!!  Naw, that doesn't scream "I'm a badass - come get my stuff!!" - Not at all!! ;D

Nice update though  . . . . Thanks.

LOL
The fact that it has both the Blackwater frame and the SWAT reference, I'd say you just sent 85% of potential bad guys looking for some other car to mess with.
 ;)

Goatdog62

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
Yep, Copyright72, I always have a fire extinguisher. In 1982 I watched my 73 Cheyenne 10 melt while I stood by. Leakage from a fuel line onto the hot manifold while I was driving down the road. An extinguisher would have saved most of it.

That plate, obtained in 2000, has saved me approximately $2000 so far in tickets and an unknown amount in auto insurance premiums over the past 9 years. They walk up to the window, tell me to slow down, and walk away. I can't understand why... ;D

That makes it worth it.

As Hare alluded to, I've always had the mindset that a hard target will be bypassed for an easier mark. Bad guys don't want to meet the owner that just might be able to end their chosen career path very abruptly. Thinking back to my cop days I rarely did reports for sheepdogs, only sheep. I may be wrong, but so far...

It would take a tow truck to actually steal 505. I've made sure of that through some undisclosed mods, another benefit of the vehicle commandeering training. I only park it at extremely secure facilities when I'm working. I secure it inside the gate of my cottage, parked 25 feet from my bed at night, so I don't worry about break-ins. I don't troll at bars or hang out at malls, so rarely is it in peril. The stereo is useless if someone steals it, thieves know which ones are set up that way or not, and if they really want to run off with the first aid kit, come-along, tow chains, and bungee cords...well, I guess they need them more than I do.

Now, a little something I got in the mail looks like it will work for my purposes, should I have to sleep in the truck.

I ordered these a few days ago. They are mosquito net screens with magnets around the perimeter so you can leave your side windows open on your SUV and still let air in. They come in gray. A pair of them were $29. They overcharged me for shipping ($11) so they don't get a "two thumbs up" from me. The product however, appears to be well made. It has a magnet every inch or so and the seams are strong. They only come in a 34.5' x 30' size. I have a rear window on the liftgate that also rolls down and I wish they made one that would cover that size. I think I can make a crude one out of mosquito netting, magnets, and 100 mph tape. I think I will, in fact.
This gives me the option to sleep in the 505 when I'm too tired to set up the Texsport SUV tent. Anyone know where I can get magnets that are roughly the size of a quarter?

Another brand, called the "Skeeter Beeter" makes them in RealTree camo, but they cost more.

Links;

http://www.theskeeterbeater.com/index.html

and where I got mine;

http://www.tentsonsuvs.com/suv_window_screens.htm

They are packaged individually, I bought two.

Outside

Inside