Author Topic: GMRS vs MURS  (Read 46189 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: GMRS vs MURS
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:07 AM »
Just thought I would add my 2 cents. ...

I think that was at least 3 cents worth. ;)

Welcome to TSP Forum, and thanks for a great first post!

Offline mobilecabin

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
Hey everyone new to the forum, and as it were I went right to the communications page.

In response to the topic however: Why would you only need one kind? If you really need to rely on radio communication you are going to need more than one frequency and type.

From what I understand you can modify or change to any size of antenna with a MURS radio as long as you are within the watt requirements.
mobilecabin

nosce te ipsum

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »
I am not an expert, but I will share my experience with GMRS.  I have used the Garmin Rino 530Hcx for about 3 or 4 years (GMRS and FRS).  I purchased it because it met my hunting needs perfectly.  It's nice to see the locations of my hunting buddies (on the GPS map) each time they key down.  I once dropped a cow elk about 1.5 miles from camp and my hunting buddies were about two miles on the other side of a mountain.  I needed their help and called them on the radio.  They guy with the FRS radio did not pick up my call, but the guy with the other Garmin Rino530HCx and I could speak clearly to each other. Since my location was immediately updated on his map, I did not have to guide him to my location.  Think geocaching games here.  Personally, I do not believe in relying solely on technology, but when you have it, use it.  (We should all know how to read a compass, a sextant, the sun, moss, etc.)  I think it's a great tool that fills a niche.  Various maps can be loaded/updated.  It even provides turn-by-turn directions on the highway.  This GPS seems to always have a strong GPS signal even in this brush or indoors.  It can be picked up for about $373 in the big box stores.

I have read at various websites that this radio CAN be programmed to use repeaters.  I have not yet figured out how to do this nor could I find this in the directions.

I will not say that it's any better or worse than a MURS radio, but I do believe, in my case, this radio fits my hunting needs well.
http://www8.garmin.com/rino/

Edit:  Here's a website showing how to set up this radio to use repeaters.  It also shows a feature that I did not know it could do: polling.  Apparently, you can "poll" the other radios in your group to automatically ask for updated locations.   http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/012909.php
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:43:15 PM by ag2 »
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline Nicholas Mason

• Prepper
    • Dandelion Dreas Permaculture
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »
On the Murs radios, hooking up the motion detectors and the car alerts can you only have 4 one a channel or more. The way that Jack makes it sound to me is that you can only 4 different additions.

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
One think for anyone to keep in mind about MURS and GMRS.

They are fixed, well known frequencies.

Don't say anything on them that you would not want overheard.

I know my scanner has all of those freqs in it, as well as the marine freqs. I don't always scan them, but I do turn those banks on when I think someone may be using it close that I would want to hear.

I can tell you for a fact that the game wardens here scan all of them in their cars because so many poachers use them, and some local cops do as well.

SHTF, I will have them in a scanner listening, to aid my situational awareness.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 06:48:21 PM »

Offline KSDeputy

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
I know just enough about these types of radios to get me in trouble. I did read that by 2018 everything has to be digital. If I am buying any additional radios they will be digital. The state I live in has a network of trunking systems state wide for the highway patrol, and other state agencies. They allow other law enforcement agencies to also use their system. The system is in the process of changing from analog to digital. I have a number of trunking scanners I wish to sell, due to this. I would caution anyone buying new equipment to buy digital. 2012 is not that far away. Cell phones are already digital, TV is digital. The radio spectrum is finite. As I understand it digital takes a far less part of the spectrum than analog does.

Offline radio user

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 03:23:36 AM »
ummm my thoughts :)
Why are we comparing GMRS (LOL) with MURS?
Try comparing (with both of the above) 2/.70 meter mobile, 35 and higher watt, battery pack powered radio (and just buy a murs too if you really feel the need)

oh plllllllllllllllease  ;)

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 02:53:43 PM »
Post SHTF, I doubt the FCC will be patrolling with a van to detect your over rated signal... so IMHO do as you need to maintain comms...  This is of course entirely up to you as to what you do...

I know there are a butt load of hams that violate the rules, typically on 75M, that get away with it for decades before there "caught"... 

Unless your interfering with someone, and you are reported, there is very little chance you will get "caught" running 5W on MURS...   This is just an observation and not condoning any action that is not legal.

The ham credo of "use just enough power to establish reliable communications" should apply here too...  No need to run 100W for a subdivision neighbourhood watch. 

Reliable does not mean the receiver can hear your tonsils rattle when you talk... It means being able to make a 100% copy of the transmission.

Persue more research, but IMHO... MURS has more to offer than GMRS...

TOG

Offline rsilvers

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
One thing to remember is that even though MURS maybe superior in many ways. It is useless if the party you want to contact does not have one. I chose GMRS because it is relatively cheap, and widely available. The money I have saved vs. MURS will be spent on other important purchases. I gave my brother my older FRS set of radios.  I can communicate with him on them because my GRMS has some shared channels with the FRS frequencies. This setup is a low cost alternative that I will use.
The flip side is that if you are at an event, say the Fourth of July, everyone will be on FRS and you will have no space to talk. MURS may be completely open.

nelson96

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
There's no larger event in my area than hunting camp, where people are using radio.  I've still not had a problem finding a channel that is open enough to communicate to my party.  The only problem I have with GMRS is being able to cover long distances in mountainous terrain and dense canopy.

Offline libertydefense

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »
Hi, I emailed Rob of murs-radio, years ago I bought several tytuvf and tx888 from Rob...both do the scrambler.

I've been googling around looking for scramble capable radio.

I own a ft60, tyt, mobile unit.

but, I'd like to outfit my kids with some radios that are scamble/voice inversion capable.

please advise

my requirements for a radio
1) two freq monitoring
2) scramble codes
3) kenwood headset (two pin)
4) aa/aaa battery shell for backup
5) listen in on FM radio (common freq)
6) weather/dust/drop resistant
7) program able - chirp or otherwise

tia,

Liberty