Author Topic: Guerilla Gardening  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
Guerilla Gardening
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
Does anyone practice Guerrilla Gardening, that is growing things on public land? I live on a small suburban plot, but I've often thought of growing things on public land like parks and quasi-public lands like cemeteries.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Guerilla Gardening
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »
I"m tempted to make some seed balls and 'seed' them on the meridians on the roads I travel to/from work... Brighten up the view a little.
Now I don't know how I'd feel eating food that was grown in/on a cemetery...

Kara

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »
Hraz,

What kind of things are we talking about planting...just herbs that are easy to grow, or are you thinking something more substantial?

leatherneck

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:30:03 PM »
I have done it in the past. Around here we have a wild fruit tree called a PawPaw. PawPaw's grow in clumps from seed and off of root suckers.  However, to produce fruit they have to be pollinated from unrelated trees.  Problem is only a few insects are interested in the flower. Whenever I come across a patch of fruiting PawPaws I eat the fruit and save the seeds. I then take the seeds to a different patch and replant them. I have no Idea if any of my seeds have took off but I figured its worth a shot.  I have also started some asparagus on some state grounds that I like to mushroom hunt.  That way in the spring, I can collect Asparagus  even if I don't find the Morels I'm after!

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
Wintersparrow,

Yes, I was thinking of onions, herbs, or anything that could grow with minimal care.. I also collect nuts from Oaks and Chestnuts and just toss them in wooded areas when I take walks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 01:00:50 PM by Sister Wolf »

SouthernLiving

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:26:04 PM »
I have done it in the past. Around here we have a wild fruit tree called a PawPaw. PawPaw's grow in clumps from seed and off of root suckers.  However, to produce fruit they have to be pollinated from unrelated trees.  Problem is only a few insects are interested in the flower. Whenever I come across a patch of fruiting PawPaws I eat the fruit and save the seeds. I then take the seeds to a different patch and replant them. I have no Idea if any of my seeds have took off but I figured its worth a shot.  I have also started some asparagus on some state grounds that I like to mushroom hunt.  That way in the spring, I can collect Asparagus  even if I don't find the Morels I'm after!

Interested in sharing any of those seeds?

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:07:55 PM »
My only experiance with it is growing stuff that you want to grow but wouldent want to get caught growing. I have heard that a 5 gallon bucket in a tree in the park can grow lots of things.

edibleyards

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »
I have been interested in guerilla gardening for a long time. I have been growing some sesame plants the last couple of years. They sprout within about 2 days, look nice and reseed readily. They need good moisture though, so for guerilla gardening, where they wouldn't be watered by a person, I would plant them during our rainy season.

I would also like to spread around any plants that attract bees and other pollinators. Even if they are not food sources for us, keeping the bees happy is a high priority!

What are some other good plants for guerilla gardening?

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »
There are some old American Chestnut trees where I live in an urban area. I gather the nuts and throw them out the window on my commute to work. Hopefully some of them will grow and keep their genes alive.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »
Thought about it, yes.  Done it, not yet.

There are some irregular lots left when the city widened the road 2 blocks from my house that are perfect candidates.  I have considered working with the city to create a community garden on the sites.  (The city wouldn't have to mow anymore which they would like!).  However, until I am fully utilizing my yard, I don't think there will be enough motivation on my part to go and do.

On the flip side, I do harvest where I do not plant (without stealing).  I pick black walnuts and hickory nuts from the roadside and local parks.  In the spring, I pick Polk, Lambs Quarter, Dandelion, wild onions, etc. from alley fence rows, a "future park" area (currently delapidated industrial the city is converting to greenway and soccer/baseball fields), and the "community garden" area. 

Occasionally, someone will even pay me to remove walnuts from their yard!  But it is VERY easy to get them free if you pick just by knocking on doors.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
There are 4 Chestnut Trees within 2 blocks of me. I always pick them up. I think I'm the only one. I know people probably think I'm "nuts". ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I am planting sunflowers. I see keeping the dove and quail on the property fat as an investment. I am in the process of cataloging the wildlife around so I will know what to plat to attract tasty things.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:25:32 PM »
I'm thinking of asking permission to seed bomb the highway road frontage leading south to my house, it may be a little tricky as it is all farmland but it is definitely a 2010 project. I need to meet the neighbors first before I start trying to get them to greenlight one of my greenie projects.  :D

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »
I would think carrots would be a good choice.  One could go to a forested area, use your shoe to move a bit of soil then scatter seeds.  Kick the soil back over the seeds and come back to harvest.  Carrot tops would blend in well with the local vegetation where I live.

I have an old package of seeds, I might just try it after I plant my garden.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »
The most recent podcast of The Alternative Kitchen Gardner tals about a book written on Guerilla Gardening.
http://coopette.com/akg