Author Topic: Taking down a big tree.....When to call a pro....  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
Taking down a big tree.....When to call a pro....
« on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:53 AM »
I have an Elm tree on my place that is probably 3-4' in diameter and 50-60 feet tall. It is a big, old, very dead tree. It sits on one corner of my garage. The tree has been dead probably two years now and I keep looking at it and thinking I need to get it cut down.

I have been debating trying to do it myself.....no more. Due to it's location the only way to bring it down safely will be in pieces- whoever cuts it is going to have to go up in the tree or a bucket and chunk it out. I decided that whatever the reasonable cost, it was worth it to hire it done. With winter coming and the ice and high winds it brings....I can't have that tree in my garage some morning.

So, I have spent part of my morning calling tree removers. We'll see how it goes. As much as I like to do things myself- and I have cut alot of trees.....this time I'll pay the money and let someone else do the job.

millerized1

Re: Taking down a big tree.....When to call a pro....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
Call a sawmill or local woodworking shop.  Some times they'll pay YOU for the tree.
Happens all the time.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »
I'm making it into firewood. I'm just having them pull it down to a manageable level, no brush haul off etc....First quote I got today was $500. Having three more done, will be interesting to see the spread.

millerized1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
Oh, nevermind.....That's gonna make a cord or 12, ain't it~! ;) Even at that price, that's only about 3-4cords money wise up here.  Not a bad deal, especially if they're insured.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:28:14 AM »
Definitely get it done.  I had a big one come down when we had the last big wind storm.  Ended up with minor roof damage & a whole lot of firewood I didn't need.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:21:38 AM »
Glad I got bids. Second bid came in at $285. Quite a spread for the same work. The second crew has a good reputation- I have seen their work around town......

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »
Call a sawmill or local woodworking shop.  Some times they'll pay YOU for the tree.
Happens all the time.

Many don't like yard trees. They can be full of nails and bullets, and are hard on saw blades.

We had 2 black walnut trees that we couldn't find a home for. We even had a 14 foot 18 inch log from the one.

Burned really good in the fireplace, that one. Miserable splitting though.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »
My dad and I have dropped 2 Elms that size in the yard now.

It's sad to see them go, them big, wonderful elms. We can't get an elm bigger then 10 inches in the yard now before it dies.

We took both down ourselves. My dad is good at felling trees. I would never attempt it, myself. Not enough experience.

We dropped them both in winter. The ground is frozen, and they don't tear up the yard near as bad coming down.

Both of them we guided with a chain. One to the old John Deere tractor, the other with a Chevy suburban.

The one fell just where we wanted it in the back yard. It dropped between the house and the pines planted as a windbreak. It took years to burn that stump out. It was so thick that Dad hat to cut it about 6 feet up so the saw could reach half way through. HUGE tree.

The other we got in the general direction, but it did end up coming down on a Maple tree, snapping it off halfway up. We just missed the power line in the yard, one branch clipped the line, but the line held.

I would say get it done if your contemplating whether to do it yourself or getting it done.

A big tree like that, they won't always go down where you want them to. The base of the trunks can also do surprising things. The one stayed on the stump (of course, the tall one, so we had to pull it down with the truck), the other stopped moving about 8 feet from the stump and about 2 feet behind the stump - that tree just didn't like where we where 'suggesting' it fell and tried everything it could to go it's own way.

That Elm makes great firewood if I remember my dad right.

It would be worth every penny to have the tree come down without taking the garage out in the process.

Supertramp

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 05:46:50 AM »
"Burned really good in the fireplace, that one. Miserable splitting though. "

you got that right! Elm is the most miserable of woods to split.the grain is all twisted and corkscrewed  and is just miserable.last year i cut one down for my brother-same size,they get some kind of Elm disease and die out.anyway i swore never to cut another for firewood again but what can you do when it's already there

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:38:35 AM »
Well, I should have updated this I guess. Tree came down without any issues. I collected all the branches and piled them up- using those for kindling. The big chunks I spent a weekend splitting. It was alot of work but am glad to have that one behind me.

We burn mostly elm here. It is the predominant tree in our city. It burns quite good when dry, good heat and a very fine grey ash. It's free so what the heck.