Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 5312989 times)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #25290 on: June 02, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »
Split and moved hostas and daylililes for the landscaping in front of the house.  I know that doesn't sound like prepping, but both hostas and daylillies are edible, so I'm both beautifying my home AND increasing the edible around the house (even if I don't usually eat the hostas it's good to know it's there in an emergency.  The daylillies I do occasionally use, just to know how).   My front landscaping now includes a ton of the hostas, several daylillies, two rosa rugosa (for the rosehips), white coneflower (aka echinachea) and Nanking Cherry bushes. . . along with all the other pretty flowering annuals etc.  It's taken about 4 years to slowly get to this point.

Finished hoeing the front garden.  Once the peas are a bit taller I'll take off the floating row covers and stake them. . . hopefully that will let them be big enough for the bunnies not to destroy them.

Harvested 5lbs of rhubarb from my plants.

Ordered 12 cans of B&M Brown Bread in the can.  I have checked most of my local groceries and they don't carry it. . . but the price was reasonable on Amazon and had free shipping.

Also picked up two 8pks of the D adapters for AA batteries on Amazon--that will let me use my rechargeable AA's in the battery powered fans I purchased earlier in the week.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25291 on: June 02, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
Split and moved hostas and daylililes for the landscaping in front of the house.  I know that doesn't sound like prepping, but both hostas and daylillies are edible, so I'm both beautifying my home AND increasing the edible around the house (even if I don't usually eat the hostas it's good to know it's there in an emergency.  The daylillies I do occasionally use, just to know how).   My front landscaping now includes a ton of the hostas, several daylillies, two rosa rugosa (for the rosehips), white coneflower (aka echinachea) and Nanking Cherry bushes. . . along with all the other pretty flowering annuals etc.  It's taken about 4 years to slowly get to this point.

Finished hoeing the front garden.  Once the peas are a bit taller I'll take off the floating row covers and stake them. . . hopefully that will let them be big enough for the bunnies not to destroy them.

Harvested 5lbs of rhubarb from my plants.

Ordered 12 cans of B&M Brown Bread in the can.  I have checked most of my local groceries and they don't carry it. . . but the price was reasonable on Amazon and had free shipping.

Also picked up two 8pks of the D adapters for AA batteries on Amazon--that will let me use my rechargeable AA's in the battery powered fans I purchased earlier in the week.

Taking care of the homestead is prepping. I spent yesterday spreading 4 yards of mulch and planting raspberry starts in the neighbor's yard. This morning I replaced the screen on the patio door.

My neighbor was shocked to see my backyard. Apple tree, cherry tree, hazelnut, grapevines, raspberry patch, blackberry patch, serviceberry, currants, strawberries, annual garden, and herb pots.

I wish more of us made the movement more appealing. I'm doing my best to create my own garden of Eden in the back. I want a nice house, not a bunker cluttered with ammo crates.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25292 on: June 02, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Taking care of the homestead is prepping.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Yes

I wish more of us made the movement more appealing. Amen

I'm doing my best to create my own garden of Eden in the back. I want a nice house, not a bunker cluttered with ammo crates.

Mine isn't cluttered, and I'd rather have ammo than 1500 pocket knives.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25293 on: June 02, 2018, 07:29:35 PM »
Garden work today. Weeding and mulching and watering.
Rain storm blew past us, breaking off several squash plants that were lookin fine.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25294 on: June 02, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »
What's wrong with a bunker and a reasonably nice house?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25295 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
What's wrong with a bunker and a reasonably nice house?

Is the bunker on top or bottom?  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25296 on: June 04, 2018, 08:54:34 AM »
Today I'm cooking a large pot of "baked" beans. Pot is so heavy I'm afraid to try to put it in the oven so it's on the stove top. That's why "baked" beans. Won't get them canned today so they'll have to be reheated tomorrow before canning.

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #25297 on: June 04, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »

I've seen this at the store, but haven't ever tried it, and don't know anyone that has?   What's it like, is it just a super dense bread? I  know I need to just buy one and try it.. but for some reason have wanted to just have a little insight first.   More dinner bread, or sweet bread type?

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25298 on: June 04, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »
Garden weeding 99% done. (Psst...it's never 100% )

Mostly watered, key plants that were suffering were taken care of.
Lost 4-5 various pepper plants, so just planted pole beans in their place.

Tomorrow is another cash for da stash day.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25299 on: June 06, 2018, 02:48:44 AM »

Tomorrow is another cash for da stash day.

If you keep having those "cash for da stash" days you ain't gonna have time to spend it.  :rofl:

Finished canning 18 pints of beans yesterday.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25300 on: June 06, 2018, 05:45:59 AM »
If you keep having those "cash for da stash" days you ain't gonna have time to spend it.  :rofl:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Finished canning 18 pints of beans yesterday.

Cool beans.  8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25301 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
Taking care of the homestead is prepping. . . I wish more of us made the movement more appealing. I'm doing my best to create my own garden of Eden in the back. I want a nice house, not a bunker cluttered with ammo crates.

I agree wholeheartedly.  There is a balance between being ready and enjoying life right now.  For me enjoying life right now means having pretty landscaping and a nice home.  Being prepared doesn't have to mean camo and completely utilitarian.  I think that 90% of the folks who know me know I garden, can, dry food, do crafts, read all sorts of weird stuff and am patriotic. . . but I think many of them would be shocked to find out that I'm "one of those preppers" because we are pretty normal.  Of course most preppers are pretty normal, but that's not what people in general assume.

Oh, except for my Mormon friends who say that I'm basically a Mormon without the theology ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25302 on: June 07, 2018, 05:48:43 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly.  There is a balance between being ready and enjoying life right now.  For me enjoying life right now means having pretty landscaping and a nice home.  Being prepared doesn't have to mean camo and completely utilitarian.  I think that 90% of the folks who know me know I garden, can, dry food, do crafts, read all sorts of weird stuff and am patriotic. . . but I think many of them would be shocked to find out that I'm "one of those preppers" because we are pretty normal.  Of course most preppers are pretty normal, but that's not what people in general assume.

Oh, except for my Mormon friends who say that I'm basically a Mormon without the theology ;)

You set a great example for others. There are few things besides HUNGER,POVERTY (loss of income) and THIRST that one can fight and expect to win ...every time with little risk to self.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25303 on: June 07, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
Workin pretty much this whole week for the cash stash.
Wife has been maintaining the garden duties till I get home.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25304 on: June 08, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
Finished canning 24 pints of carrots.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25305 on: June 08, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Finished canning 24 pints of carrots.

:clap:

How long ya figger those will last?

Our house, probably 2 years

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #25306 on: June 08, 2018, 11:38:51 PM »
Communictions: frustrating HAM week. I havent done any with it for a few weeks, and last time I used the hand held I manually programmed a frequency setting CERT was using for a drill and messed up the offset for my usual repeater channel. I didnt know this, so the other day, I went to do WED evening check in with ARES and I could hear them, but I couldnt transmit in the right spot...... not enough time to fix it right then. SO, yesterday I put the offset back, verified I could use that frequency ( I drove over to a HAM operator house, I needed to help his wife with something anyways) so he got on his and we verified I set it back properly. Then he fixed the programming for me to reach the CERT mobile repeater and verified we could reach it from his house, he said it wasnt a very good connection and he thought they had too low or too underpowered of an antena, given the location and the terrain and distance of his house to it. This morning, we have a CERT check in, and of course, my house being farther than his, I can hear them and they cant hear me. We have plenty of other repeaters we can all hit, esp the one that ARES uses has repeaters in a few locations in this area. But, we are trying this repeater that is at a CERT members house. The idea they have is that the good repeater network will be full of real emergency traffic and that we will have a local way to communicate that is seperate. Noticed our CERT leader did not use proper protocol and identify himself by call letters.....CERT is frustrating. ARES people are solid. Later today I had a CERT household around the corner practice simplex with me, as we also have a simplex channel identified that is where we go  for that, but the other CERT member farther inland could not transmit nor receive with me via simplex, not line of site between our houses. Basically, it is not trivial to have handheld HAM radios communicate in the terrain around here unless they are using the "good"  repeater networks or are pretty close together on simplex.  Being that this is CERT, it will be too bad, so sad on our repeater as it is at a person house, and there is control and politics involved. If they cooperated more with HAM people out of CERT, they could put the darn thing on one of our towers in the area, and more height would help. There is room..... 

Animal care: Went and helped a neighbor with a young ( 5 week old) kitten she had taken in. I was worried as she said it was lethargic and all she had tried to feed it all day was a teaspoon or two of bone broth, and it was 5 more hours before the Vet appointment. I ran over with some raw milk I had in my fridge, showed her how to hold it and it perked up pretty well with the milk. We heated in just a bit and used a syringe. When I had been on the phone with her, I mentioned that it needed better food and she said, I could give it almond milk ! You can buy raw milk at the store 10 minutes from her house, but I wanted the little guy to live

Garden: Yes,  do have a few things in the garden. Set out all the tomato plants this week, late as usual there are 24 of them though. I have also moved around various self seeded greens ( red chard, rainbow chard, red russian kale, magenta spreen lambs quarters) and worked on the beds. It is my limited ability to dig and carry that makes me so slow and late with all this. 2 weeks ago, I set out potatoes, yep, beginning of June ! But, they are up, and they might survive the coming heat. I may get around to shade cloth then. Potatoes are on 1 ft centers pretty deep.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25307 on: June 09, 2018, 01:48:24 AM »

How long ya figger those will last?

Our house, probably 2 years

Very likely. I got 2 lbs. left over for fresh use. Might make coleslaw today.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25308 on: June 09, 2018, 01:03:57 PM »
Well dealing with Comcast lit a fire under my ass and I just completed the paperwork for a refi moving our loan from 18 years left on a 30 year to a 15 year. Saves us $40k, 3 years off the mortgage, and gets us paid off the year the kiddo heads to college (if such a thing still exists). It was particularly nice to hear the loan officer comment that he doesn't see a lot of credit scores above 800.

Now I get some shop time. But I'm still looking for more stuff we can cut to save.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25309 on: June 09, 2018, 04:34:14 PM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25310 on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:15 PM »

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #25311 on: June 10, 2018, 07:39:08 AM »
Gardening, gardening and more gardening...all three gardens are now planted with the exception of the tree collards (I got three cuttings in the mail that are rooted & doing well, but I’m going to wait a bit longer before planting them out) and space for one more row of root veg in the 3rd garden.   I’m worried because my poke beans still haven’t come up.  If they don’t pop in another day or two I’ll replant...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25312 on: June 10, 2018, 08:44:24 AM »
I've had trouble with seeds sprouting this year.
Bush beans and cantaloupe. I've replanted both 3 times now. Not all, but some.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25313 on: June 10, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »

Put in fridge over two nights ,then plant and see it you sprout higher numbers.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25314 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
Put in fridge over two nights ,then plant and see it you sprout higher numbers.

Thanks. I'll try that if I can remember

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25315 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »

Read years ago about scarifying difficult seeds. Rub them over some sandpaper. Supposed to help germination. I've never tried it. Seems like it came from a Rodale publication, should be good info is so.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25316 on: June 10, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »
Read years ago about scarifying difficult seeds. Rub them over some sandpaper. Supposed to help germination. I've never tried it. Seems like it came from a Rodale publication, should be good info is so.

320 or 60 grit?  :-\ ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25317 on: June 10, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
I don't recall that it said but I'd guess a finer grit. Purpose would be to break the hull to allow moisture into the rest of it as I recall. Maybe even just rubbing them on a rock or concrete block, just something rough to scar the hard outer part. I think it must have been Organic Gardening magazine where I read that. I used to subscribe to it.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25318 on: June 10, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Ok here ya go. Carl suggested a similar idea just didn't give it a name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #25319 on: June 10, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »
 8)