Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2010393 times)

Shadowstealth

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1170 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:14 PM »
Hey, guys and gals! my name is Dave im 26 y/old and live here in Pittsburgh PA. I just recently found this site as i was looking up m14 mags for sale.... and some how I landed on here. I have been scanning threw the site for over an hour now and decided to sign up. Hopefully Ill be able to learn a bit and share any info I may have for you guys.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1171 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
I guess this is where I chime in.  Sidney here.  Let's see, what can I say about myself?  I have always had the mindset of a prepper, but just never did it.  Now at 60 yrs I am thinking about retiring and finding my retreat to be self-sufficient and to have that place I always wanted to have but never did.  I am an attorney (lawyer to some folks) in Colorado Springs, originally from south Louisiana.  I'm as Cajun as they come, but living in the swamp with the bugs and snakes never appealed to me.  Here in the Springs I have learned a lot about prep things, but just haven't made the jump.  I hope to do that in the next year.  We like the idea of being close within an hour or so of the ocean to the east, not interested in the west side at all.  Looking at some stuff in the Carolinas but no decision yet.  I would like to settle in amongst a community of survivalists, if such a thing exists.  Does anyone have any idea of where would be a good place to look for a retreat location with the requisite land for livestock and farming, and among good folk who like the survivalist ideas?
Sidney

Welcome aboard, Sidney!

If I was to make the jump, it would be to New Hampshire. Check out The Free State Project http://freestateproject.org/ One of our own forum members, liftsboxes, is directly involved with that organization. I have a friend who moved over this past spring and loves it. No income tax is one big draw.

That being said, I've seen the Blue Ridge Mountains and wouldn't mind living there. Summers are about the same as here in NY, but winters are milder.

Offline ironfish

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1172 on: October 17, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
Hi All,
I'm going by Ironfish (Ken), I live outside Wooster,Ohio. I'm 60yrs young. I've been a prepper/survivalist since the late '70's. I was a bricklayer for 20yrs. Having to prep to make it through the winters.
 Starting off as a hobby and feeling that I needed a trade that was depression proof, I started blacksmithing (30 yrs ago). I've been full time for 20 yrs. I've always believed you should have a job 20 years, then out, starting something else so not to get bored.
 I'm now starting my retirement business in aquaponics (Ironfish Aquaponics). I'm figuring about two more years before I can go full time. Again, looking for a depression proof business (people have to eat!).
 I'm also interested in appropriate technology,solar and wind power, permaculture and organic gardening. I started listening to Jack about a year ago. I found him running pretty parallel with my ideas.

Have a good day!
Ironfish

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1173 on: October 17, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »
That's awesome Ken.  Sounds like you have lots of skills.

Welcome everybody!

Tommk9

« Reply #1174 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
How's it going all?  Tommk9 here.  39 yoa.  Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA.  Prior K-9 handler.  Former Paratrooper, 13F Forward Observer, currently 1SG in the California Army National Guard.  Served in Persian Gulf War, LA Riots, Northridge Earthquake, and Hurricane Katrina.  12 more drills and I retire.  Work for the "G" on the civilian side.  Married with no crumb snatchers.  I have extensive firearms/tactical training and experience.  I wouldn't say I'm new to the prep. mind set however I am certainly kicking it into high gear now.       

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1175 on: October 18, 2009, 01:41:15 AM »
Welcome all!  Tommk9, good to have fellow former handler on board!

Berserker Prime

Offline turnlow

• Prepper
« Reply #1176 on: October 18, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »
hello
Thanks for having me.  I been listening a bit, reading some too.  Heard Jack mention the introduction thread and I thought it would be the polite thing to do. 

I work in the manufacturing world, I am a welder and all around the factory kinda guy.  Married a good gal a few years ago and she is now pregnant with our first, got a good dog and a small garden in one of the nicest parts of the world. (I think anyhow)  Debt free out side of the Mortgage.  Planing to get our family off the ground is how I found this community.  I have been slowly working at getting back to a way of life like the one I grew up in.  I am really want to be able to show my kid what is real in the world so he/she won't have to learn that all alone. 

thanks again. 

julian 

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1177 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:30 AM »
Welcome turnlow, and all oue other new folks. Glad you could join us.

Offline survivalmedic

• Prepper
  • "failure to plan is a plan to fail"
    • Shelf Reliance Independent Rep
« Reply #1178 on: October 18, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I work as a FF/Paramedic for one of the larger fire departments here in Oregon. I found Jake's podcast earlier this summer on itunes. Great Show. I haven't been able to miss an episode since. Slowly but surely we are developing our plan, BOB, food storage and the huge laundry list of other things. Love the forum, tons of great information. Keep up the good work Jake. I just finished a wilderness survival class yesterday at the Oregon Firearms Academy. Top notch class. I would highly recommend any of my fellow Oregonians to consider taking any of their classes.

I look forward to learning and sharing as much as I can through this forum.

Chris

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
« Reply #1179 on: October 18, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
Hello, i have been listening to the podcast for about a year and finally decided to introduce myself and check out the forums.   I am a custom knifemaker and emt-t with the local ambulance here in Montana.  I hope to learn alot over here as well as maybe have some valuable input.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #1180 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:43 PM »
I thought I heard a ringing in my ears!

Welcome Bladesmith. Hope you enjoy forging your new path through survivalism.

Pound out a few posts and i'm sure you'll feel like part of the family.

*decides to quit while I'm ahead...*

;-)

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #1181 on: October 18, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
« Reply #1182 on: October 19, 2009, 07:59:31 AM »
I thought I heard a ringing in my ears!

Welcome Bladesmith. Hope you enjoy forging your new path through survivalism.

Pound out a few posts and i'm sure you'll feel like part of the family.

*decides to quit while I'm ahead...*

;-)

Ringing ears, pound out a few posts i like it not much into subtelty but it is neet.

Jennie_in_Iowa

« Reply #1183 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:34 AM »
Hi all!
Women are allowed in right?   ;D ;D
I'm an unemployed computer engineer in Iowa. Don't let that fool you though, I'm pretty handy.
With my free time I grow most of my family's food, I hunt a bit when I can afford it, and I'm helping my BFF build an insulated concrete bermed house. 
I hope to have a job again someday soon.... but until then I'm happily being Mom to my 6 month old son.
I look forward to meeting everyone.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1184 on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »

Women are allowed in right?   ;D ;D

Heck yeah!  Lots and lots of women here.  Check out the board here called Lady Survivors.

badbeamer

« Reply #1185 on: October 19, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »
Hello,

I'm a newbie here.  I'm 38 and a single mom in Georgia.  Have had the preparation bug bite me in the butt about 8 years ago and have really dug in since being divorced for almost two years now.  I guess being independent again has reality setting in.  Glad to find this podcast and really enjoy what Jack talks about and also how he presents it to the audience. 

I'm a professional soapmaker and candlemaker and love to make things by hand so I just learned how to grow and can food.  Now I am working on long term storage for a crisis and also to save some cash in the meantime!  Heck I can even make pottery on a wheel if times get REALLY bad and fire in a wood fired kiln! 

Well, I don't even have my profile set up so I am off to do that and then checkout the posts and numerous threads. Thanks to all who have written such great information.

Offline zakshu

• Prepper
« Reply #1186 on: October 19, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »
HI all!

I am Zak.  Computer/Electrical Engineer in Dallas, TX.  I am currently working on some food storage, etc.

Offline GotFurryKids

• Prepper
    • Smith & Werder, Inc
« Reply #1187 on: October 19, 2009, 02:29:49 PM »
Hello,

My wife and I have been listening to Jack For about 3 weeks now. We listen at work everyday. I don't remember how I found this site. I guess it was a link from one of the online survival stores. The biggest thing we learned so far is how unprepared we really are. My wife is on board with this so we are working together to get prepared for anything that comes our way.  We are self employed and live in west Texas on 10 acres with 4 dogs.         

Thank you, Jack for a great Podcast!!

sarahluker

« Reply #1188 on: October 19, 2009, 02:34:30 PM »
Wow, lots of new Texans.  Welcome all.   Jump in so you can learn, share, and enjoy likeminded people!

ShallCarry

« Reply #1189 on: October 19, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »
Hey y'all.

Rich here.

Been working on the survival prep since reading James Rawles' "Patriots" a few years ago.  Have a plan and stocking up.

Used to be an NRA instructor and a pistol competitor.  Have had a CPL for years.  Studied MA for several years before getting married.

We home schooled for awhile, but send our kids to public school now and just supplement the education.

We grind our own grains and make homemade bread, pancakes, cookies, etc... and THEY'RE GREAT!!!

Garden every year.

Politically, I'm a moderate conservative.  I probably lean Libertarian.

Nondenominational Christian.

Married with three kids.

RN, but work in the medical device industry now.  Used to be a pipe fitter and a shoe repair cobbler.  Do some work with leather.  All these should be good barter skills.

Guess that's all for now.

God bless.

BetzCell

« Reply #1190 on: October 19, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
Hey Folks,

I'm Matt, and I've been lurking here for a while, but I've finally got the stones to introduce myself.

I'm pretty much a grasshopper born and bred, but I'm looking to reform. 

I'm a med student finishing up and heading into my internship come July 2010.  I'd like to start prepping, at least a little bit, before I head into the 80 hour workweeks coming my way, so I develop some good habits that I can do even when half asleep.

Unfortunately, education debt, no income (med student), and living in a place with only a tiny non-sun-exposed porch mean I've got to learn to be creative and disciplined.  I'm keen on any and all advice I can get!

Love the show, love the forums, and I look forward to being a part of the community.

God Bless y'all.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1191 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
Welcome, shallcarry and Betzcell... glad to have you here. As for advice on getting going, Jack's recent show on how to get started is a great place to start... little by little...

It sounds like both of you have great skills and experience to help the rest of us learn from you.

Offline cajonezzz

• Prepper
    • socaldrumsociety    drum meetup.com group
« Reply #1192 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
repost from region 8)

Hello, my name is Craig aka "cajonezzz" ( not a reference to what you think ).

I  live in Carlsbad Ca, and discovered thesurvivalpodcast about 4 months ago. I've been listening to the archives, and also looking at a few other resources that deal with the economy, and self sufficiency.

i've got to say, at first I was a bit skeptical about ANYTHING with "survival" in the title, feeling that it was a bit as jack says "foil hat".  But then, very simply, the first time he mentioned that owning life insurance was in the same sense "preparing" for an eventuality that may or may not happen in short term-- I felt quite a bit less silly about listening in.

a little background: I'm mid 40's, with a wife of 8 yrs, a 4 yr old daughter and a 6 week old son. I've lived in California most of my life, grew up in San Diego-- and have been in the music biz for the past 25 yrs.. I've been fortunate to travel the world alot, and make a decent living. That's changed with the collapse of the music biz, but we're hanging in there, as my wife is now working and making a solid income.

We are pretty typical in so. cal....   in debt, upsidown on a half million dollar condo. We're digging out slowly, have been trying to follow Dave Ramsey to do so, but it's slow going.

I grew up hunting birds in Bakersfield with my dad and brother, and did a bit of shooting as a kid, but as of the last twenty five years, it was maybe an occasionaly trip to the range with my bro ( gun enthusiast ).

I"ve just inherited some guns from my pop... 12 and 16 guage winchester shotguns ( long barrel pumps) a Rem 760 Gamemaster 30-06 pump, and our first 22 cal rifles that we got as kids. I own a little Berretta .32  auto as my "camping and mtn biking " gun, and I'm looking into purchasing a .40 cal usp or XD  in the near future.

I'd really like to meet others in the area that are interested in prepping--- I've no interest in the paramilitary type stuff that gives survivalists the "wacko" badge... but i'm definitely into preparing for my family for what I see as the probable break down of the economy coming up.

My challenges are:   We live in a condo. Food prep storage is limited, but doable in a garage "booth" that I had originally built for a home recording studio that I had...it's about 6.5 x7 feet x 7ft tall.

anyhow... thanks Jack!  such great info, and I'm now really comfortable that your not a "survivalist nutcase", and I appreciate your delivery so much. Thankfully, my wife is now starting to understand that being prepared is a priority, not a crazy notion.

anyone in my area like to have a beer in and put heads together on this stuff, I'd much appreciate it.

craig

EDIT: Email address removed
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:07:49 PM by Archer »

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1193 on: October 21, 2009, 01:18:54 PM »

I've no interest in the paramilitary type stuff that gives survivalists the "wacko" badge... but i'm definitely into preparing for my family for what I see as the probable break down of the economy coming up.

You fit in to a "t" here on this forum.

Offline kyfirefighter

• Prepper
« Reply #1194 on: October 21, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Greetings all,
my wife and I live in a rural area of Kentucky, and have been listening to jacks show for about two months, and i think that we have officially become TSP addicts. We have been doing much of the "prepping" and lifestyle changes before we started listening to the show, but since then have changed our outlook some and now are working to begin homesteading and some of the other items that have been discussed.   great to finally join the forum and try to meet more like minded people like us.  hopefully there are more of us kentuckians on here

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1195 on: October 21, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »
Welcome Cajonezzz and kyfirefighter.

Kyfirefighter, check out the region three posts and you will find one for Kentucky. There are plenty of KY folks on board.

Offline cajonezzz

• Prepper
    • socaldrumsociety    drum meetup.com group
« Reply #1196 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »
How's it going all?  Tommk9 here.  39 yoa.  Born and raised in Los Angeles, CA.  Prior K-9 handler.  Former Paratrooper, 13F Forward Observer, currently 1SG in the California Army National Guard.  Served in Persian Gulf War, LA Riots, Northridge Earthquake, and Hurricane Katrina.  12 more drills and I retire.  Work for the "G" on the civilian side.  Married with no crumb snatchers.  I have extensive firearms/tactical training and experience.  I wouldn't say I'm new to the prep. mind set however I am certainly kicking it into high gear now.       

beautiful dog there!  is that a Belgian Mallinois?

Offline Political Atheist

• Prepper
    • Medical Marijuana Mentor
« Reply #1197 on: October 21, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »
Hi friends and patriots! New to the Survival Podcast (~2 week) but I'm so impressed with Jack's content and everyone here seem like a really great bunch of people with common interests. I consider myself a political atheist because I no longer subscribe to the left/right, liberal/conservative, democrap/repugnant paradigm. Both parties are controlled by the same banksta and corporate interests.

Its funny because my husband started buying ammo pretty aggressively about 2 years ago and i thought he was going a bit over board. However, in the last year or so, I've "woken up" to what our government is really doing to us and now he thinks I'm a conspiracy kook. He even made me a tin foil hat.  ::)

I look forward to learning more from Jack and everyone on this forum and sharing ideas and intelligent conversation!

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1198 on: October 21, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
welcome Political athiest.

Offline DandDinDallas

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1199 on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:35 AM »
 :) Howdy All ! I am Dustin accompanied by lovely bride Diane.  We live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in the Great Lone Star Republic.  ( No, I am NOT one of THOSE Texans that thinks EVERYTHING is bigger & better in Texas .....if you have any doubts visit Amarillo.  There are lots of great places in this country and a few that suck. )

I am recently disabled ( spinal cord trouble ) so I have a great deal of time on my hands and I will be happy to help folks research things necessary for their prep in any way I can.  We are very new to emergency preparedness,but I have been interested in such things as far back  as I can remember.  I come from the medical field ( spine rehab no less & some EMT training )  and just basic "jack of all trades"  for all things  MEDICAL.   I am a lifelong shooter and martial artist ( now I  am learning to whack people with my walking stick, and really study edged weapon and firearm tactics.......something I  had always meant to do but never had time ).   My favorite areas of firearms ( for the moment ) are the 9x18 pistol round & all pistol caliber carbines.   My wife enjoys shooting, and is usually interested in emergency preparedness matters. 
We decided to join this site when I discovered quite by accident we were close to the host's area.    When we aren't doing stuff like this we are probably hanging out with our friends from our local AANR group ( if you don't what that is google it and give yourself a chuckle )

D & D