Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1976230 times)

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5550 on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
Welcome to the forum tumtum73

Glad to see more fellow Virginians on board.

Offline Deadgirl1121

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5551 on: October 25, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »
Like many others, I've been here a while, but haven't been very active.  I'm 26, recently widowed, with three children and another on the way.  We are living in a yurt on 16 acres in Missouri.  I've gotten a lot of flack for my decision to stay on our budding farm, and would like to use this forum for support in my endeavors.  I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5552 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
Like many others, I've been here a while, but haven't been very active.  I'm 26, recently widowed, with three children and another on the way.  We are living in a yurt on 16 acres in Missouri.  I've gotten a lot of flack for my decision to stay on our budding farm, and would like to use this forum for support in my endeavors.  I look forward to getting to know you all better!

I'm sorry for your loss.  This forum is a great place to come for support.  My wife and I are planning on building a yurt in approx. 1 year.  Ours will most likely have to have a little bit more insulation than yours though.

Offline Deadgirl1121

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5553 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
Yeah, mine is a Pacific Yurts one.  Are you planning on making a traditional yurt?

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #5554 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:54 PM »
Not 100% sure yet, but we are leaning towards taking the concept of the Nomad Shelter [ http://www.nomadshelter.com/ ] and adapting it to fit our own needs/budget/ideas. 

Offline wilsh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • One of the good guys.
« Reply #5555 on: October 25, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm an almost-30 NW native whose been listening to Jack's podcast for a couple years, but never really put any of the TSP principles and methods into practice. This year my wife and I welcomed our beautiful daughter into the world. My overall perspective on life instantly changed, and I began to take more seriously my role as a husband and provider (and now also, and most importantly, a father).

The Survival Podcast and this forum community are helping me change my life for the better, and I want to thank you all for sharing your hard won practical wisdom with all the others.

Right now I'm trying to learn the basics, and to set my family up with emergency preparations that will last one month, in house. That means my first order of business is water and food storage. The wealth of information I've gathered from this site in the last 24 hours alone is almost overwhelming. I feel I finally have the knowledge I need to make good decisions about basic water storage, and I'm starting right away.

Home defense/security is also a top priority for me. I currently own one firearm, a GLOCK 19 pistol (3rd gen.), which I really enjoy shooting. I haven't taken any defensive pistol classes yet, but I have a father-in-law who is very experienced in firearms and defense, so he's a wonderful mentor. I have a decent supply of quality JHP, and plan to acquire more over the next year. I'd like to purchase a shotgun for home defense, and also to help my wife learn to use our firearms. She's interested in learning, which I'm grateful for. I'm somewhat ashamed to say I do not yet have a concealed pistol license in my home State, but I plan to rectify this in the VERY near future. Washington State makes it pretty easy to get a license, so I have no good excuse for not having one yet.

I know that because I'm a newbie, I will likely take more than I can give at this point. Nevertheless, I hope to be as helpful as I can to all of you. I look forward to getting to know you all.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:56:37 PM by wilsh »

Offline ouphie

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5556 on: October 25, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
Howdy everyone.  My name is Len, but I go by Ouphie (oh-fee) as I am a major klutz.  I work as an electronics design engineer for a semi-conductor manufacturer in central Oregon. 

Until the beginning of this year, I had no ideas or concerns for self sufficiency.  No plans for tough times.  Then I met my girlfriend.  She was living at a permaculture demonstration site in Vancouver, WA.  I spent many weekends up there seeing how stable and viable the concepts were.  The amount of food three people were able to grow in just about 1/3rd of an acre was astounding.  I grew up in the wheat fields of Kansas and helped around a farm, but this was beyond anything I had seen.

A few months ago, she left the lushness of the gorge to live with me in the dusty central Oregon mountains.  It turns out this is not the best climate for growing much of anything.  The summers are hot, the winters are frozen, and the workable growing season is short.  We are doing what we can though.

This summer we constructed 4 raised beds and a chicken coop.  We are about to finish adding the hoop houses to the beds, but we are not looking to do any more planting till spring.  Instead, we are focusing on building our food and water stores while preparing for a food guild for the front yard.  With a bit of work, we should have things ready for a long and productive grow next year.

I'm looking forward to growing in both my own knowledge and helping the group as a whole.

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #5557 on: October 25, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »

Ouphie,

Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like the two of you can offer quite a bit.

Offline bigbcustom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5558 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
Hello,

I am in my mid 40's.  Grew up in northern Idaho way out in the woods, worked on several fishing boats in Alaska for three years, some college, attended gunsmithing school in Colorado (didn't get to finish due to finances), managed a tire/auto repair store, spent some time as operations manager at three different Home Depot stores, railroad conductor/engineer/trainmaster for short line for several years, own business doing custom woodwork and cabinet installation as well as retailing knives/outdoor items.  I have been a firearms enthusiast as long as I've been able to walk (my father shot competitively for many years, and brought me up in his footsteps... at least in that regard),  I am a confirmed knife nut (well over 300 quality knives in my collection), I study the materials, design, and all uses of edged tools every chance I get.  I enjoy weapons training from firearms to several martial arts covering both empty hand and knife.  I have my ameteur extra class ham radio license, and I tend to be a little obsessed with electronics.  I have built several computers (assembled from parts), and am working towards credentials as a database administrator/developer.  I can fix pretty much anything from broken dishes, to rebuilding an engine, to replacing components on a circuit board, and if I haven't seen it before, I can usually fix it with time (sometimes a long time lol, but I love to learn).  My motto has always been: "If somebody somewhere can do it, it means I can probably figure it out".

As to prepping, I have always been one to be prepared for contingencies, then I went through the "oh shit! I am not ready and everything is going to colapse" phase.  Now, as I try to do with everything else, I spend what time I can learning all I can about what scenarios may really occur, what I need to be ready for in regard to them, and how I can avoid them if possible.  A friend I met in Colorado turned me on to Jack's podcast about two years ago now, and I have listened to every episode since.  It is rare to find someone with the width and depth of knowledge Jack has, and has access to through his guests.  All that, and willing to share it free with everyone who wants to learn.  The TSP has opened my eyes to many areas/topics I hadn't really considered previously as well as many new resources that I didn't have before.  I probably should have joined the forums before... don't know why I didn't...

I could ramble on more, but if you have gotten this far, you are probably tired of reading the condensed version of my life lol. 

Stay Safe!

Brian

Offline stry67

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5559 on: October 26, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
Greetings from a newbie prepper here in central Va.
Taking a break from checking stuff in preparation of the possible hurricane hitting us in two days!

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #5560 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
Stry67

Welcome to the forum.

WOW had a lot of folks from Virginia join lately.

I'm in orange county.

Offline Mystidawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5561 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
Hey!

It's a pleasure to meet everyone! We are semi-new listeners. You can call me Misty. I'm an Order Entry Technician for a large pharmacy, so is my husband. It's not the most exciting job, but it allows me to take lunch with my husband and listen to the podcast while being paid.  ;D
We purchased our first home last year. It's a 5 acre ranch. We only have a few neighbors and we get along great together. We all try to help each other, when we can. We couldn't ask for more... except a lower mortgage. We'd love to be debt free.
My husband and I didn't know the first thing about gardening, livestock or preserving food. I'm not even sure if we do yet, but we are up to 16 hens, 5 cats, 4 baby chicks, 2 bunnies, 1 rooster, and little Miss Piggy. We planted our first garden this year, and learned to do some canning and dehydrating.  I have a blog to help keep me focused, and to share our progress. We would love to meet some local-ish people who share our interests in homesteading and survival. Lastly, we are interested in learning to live a healthier lifestyle. I would love to find out more about this Paleo diet that I keep hearing mentioned in the podcast. That's about it, I reckon. I'm excited that I found all of you, and can't wait to find out more.

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #5562 on: October 28, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »

Hello Mystidawn,

Welcome to the forum,

We would love to meet some local-ish people who share our interests in homesteading and survival.

Check out the regional board for like minded people in You area. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=115.0

Offline CulexPipiens

• Prepper
    • CulexPipiens
« Reply #5563 on: October 28, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
Hi. I'm from Illinois. I'd be happy to relocate to almost any other state but family keeps us tied to this area for the foreseeable future. Been adopting the prepper lifestyle for about 2 years now and listing to the podcast almost as long. Mostly working on providing for my family. We're got the debt under control and within a few years expect to be debt free which will give us a lot more flexibility.

Offline North WI Thriver

• Prepper
  • Walking to Freedom from WI: Destination TBA.
« Reply #5564 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
Hello TSP Forum!

I'm Matt in Northern Wisconsin on the South Shore of Lake Superior.  I'm in the MSB and listen to the show often, but this is my first brush with the forum.  I can't wait to meet more of you in the TSP community! 

Community is really the reason I'm here.  I'm hoping to connect with some other people in general and more specifically in my part of the country.  Not to mention all the great advice and discussion I've heard about! 

Offline Rock-Salt

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5565 on: October 29, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
Hi everyone, I have already introduced myself, but i wanted to know which would be the best thread to follow or subscribe to when trying to reach other like minded individuals in my area. I am located in Rhode Island,

Offline BillP38

• Prepper
  • Gardening is cheaper than Therapy & you get Tomato
« Reply #5566 on: October 29, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Namaste, while i"m not "new" to the idea of being prepared for and emergency I'm new to a more organized form of prepping.
    I found Jack's podcast about a month ago via the Android market place and am catching up on past shows. So I'm not sure where my interest lay though be accepting the 13 in 13 skills challenge I'm certain they'll come to the surface.

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
« Reply #5567 on: October 29, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »
Welcome Rock-salt

Check out the regional board for like minded people in You area. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=115.0

Offline BattleCatPrepper

• Prepper
  • exit the rat race ASAP!
« Reply #5568 on: October 29, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Drew and thank you for all your knowledge and support ahead of time. It is awesome to have this resource to touch base and learn from other like minded folks out there. I was introduced to TSP about 2 years ago and have been hooked ever since. Up until then I knew that I had a mindset of wanting to be ready for what life throws my way, but really didn’t know what to call it. Now I can call myself a prepper.
Unlike a lot of you I come from a family that is very far from the outdoorsy type but grew up forcing my family to spend as much time as I could camping and fishing. I got into firearms as soon as I was able to buy one and it has become one of my greatest passions. As backward as it sounds I bought my Dad his first shotgun last Father’s Day and he, my brother and I try to get out and shoot a little trap together as often as possible.

I am 26 years old and currently single with no kids. I have been Paleo since about January feeling great and currently down 52 lbs. working as a sales representative for a local wholesale foods company I spend about 1000 miles a week on the road giving me a lot of time to think and plan. I am currently living the apartment prepper lifestyle and restarting my search for my first home. I am a chef (but honestly a little rusty since I only cook for one currently), bass player and home brewer with dreams of owning a brewery or bottle shop someday.

Well that’s probably enough for now.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5569 on: October 29, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »
Hi everyone, I have already introduced myself, but i wanted to know which would be the best thread to follow or subscribe to when trying to reach other like minded individuals in my area. I am located in Rhode Island,

Eventually, when you have posted enough, the Regional Boards will be opened to you.

Offline mindgamez

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5570 on: October 30, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Hi all.  My name is George.  I am from the Lake Erie Coast in North Central Ohio.  My lady and I and our ferocious guard dogs (think Toto not Cujo) have a home in a suburban Lake side area west of Cleveland.

Been listening to the Podcast now for about 6 months.  This is my first visit to the Forums and I just joined the MSB today.  Today is day 2 for us of Hurricane Sandy which is what prompted me to join the forums.  I realized today how far I have come in these last 6 months just listening to the podcast and want to find more like minded individuals. 

Its going on 18 hours without power now and no drama at all.  Thanks to Jack and Steve Harris I was ready.  Food and water, extra fire wood to supplement my heat, and the generator to chill the fridge and let us hear the news.   The best thing about it all is my lady is starting to come around on my prepping.  Every time she said "but we need..." i was able to just hand it to her.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #5571 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
The best thing about it all is my lady is starting to come around on my prepping.  Every time she said "but we need..." i was able to just hand it to her.
Coming around? She's going to be 100% sold after a few days without grid power. You couldn't have asked for a more perfectly-timed opportunity to show off. I hope your power gets back on quickly and you stay warm and toasty. In the meantime, keep giving her a little more of the gateway drug pusher-man.

Offline Mystidawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5572 on: October 30, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
Hey Mindgamez!
I'm also from Ohio. Pleased to meet you. We live in central Ohio, and are also new here. Everyone has been friendly. I hope you and your family stay safe. It sounds like you have things under control. My husband and I haven't experienced anything too horrible, but I think we're ready for it.  I know, I know... those are famous last words. I'm sure our paths will cross again. Stay Safe.

Offline Restless Boomers

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Lovers of Freedom, Liberty & The Constitution
    • Restless Boomers
« Reply #5573 on: October 31, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »
We are a husband and wife team blessed with a partnership of collaboration, cooperation, hard work and action. We have recently relocated to our permanent BOL away from the madding crowd. The tradeoffs are few and the increase in security is well worth it.

So happy to have been referred to TSP by a great friend in our former home state, having left him behind being one of our very few regrets.

Looking forward to participating and learning more here as our nation moves closer to TEOTHAWKI.

Offline pgrommesh

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5574 on: October 31, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »
Hey!

It's a pleasure to meet everyone! We are semi-new listeners. You can call me Misty. I'm an Order Entry Technician for a large pharmacy, so is my husband. It's not the most exciting job, but it allows me to take lunch with my husband and listen to the podcast while being paid.  ;D
We purchased our first home last year. It's a 5 acre ranch. We only have a few neighbors and we get along great together. We all try to help each other, when we can. We couldn't ask for more... except a lower mortgage. We'd love to be debt free.
My husband and I didn't know the first thing about gardening, livestock or preserving food. I'm not even sure if we do yet, but we are up to 16 hens, 5 cats, 4 baby chicks, 2 bunnies, 1 rooster, and little Miss Piggy. We planted our first garden this year, and learned to do some canning and dehydrating.  I have a blog to help keep me focused, and to share our progress. We would love to meet some local-ish people who share our interests in homesteading and survival. Lastly, we are interested in learning to live a healthier lifestyle. I would love to find out more about this Paleo diet that I keep hearing mentioned in the podcast. That's about it, I reckon. I'm excited that I found all of you, and can't wait to find out more.

Decided I should register also.  Mysti is my wife.  We have been listening since around episode 850 and Ive listened to all since then and a few others when they have been referenced. 

Have to say a big thank you to Jack - I listened to the shotgun episode before my wife and told her to listen to it, and what do I get for my Anniversery?  Ya buddie I got me a 12 gauge.

Offline Mystidawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5575 on: October 31, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
I'm glad you made it here babe! :-*
You just remember I can always turn that 12 gauge into a big metal club if you get out of line.  :deadhorse:
You gotta find you way over to the regional section, and say hi to folks.

Offline F15CrewChief

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Whoever dies with the most toys wins!
« Reply #5576 on: October 31, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Nick and I've been listening for a couple months now. It's nice to finally meet a group of like minded indivduals in regards to preparedness.

A little background: I'm an F-15 Crew Chief in the US Air Force. Been in for 11 years and it looks like I'm a lifer at this point. Also a volunteer fire fighter at my local department here in North Carolina.

I'm married and have a 2 year old son.

I had been avoiding these forums for awhile because its so much easier just to listen to the podcast while in the car and never really have a lot of time to sit down and search through the forums. Boy was I overlooking an incredible resource!

Anyways, nice to meet you all.

Offline Charlie17

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Ironweed Farm Pasture Raised Chicken
« Reply #5577 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Ryan and have been lurking on the forum for over a year now and decided it was finally time to join the conversations.  I've been in the Air Force for the past 13 years and recently relocated to the Dayton area of Ohio.  I'm a C-17 pilot by trade and have dabble in other areas as well.  I've been listening to Jack for about two years or so and have joined the MSB.  Looking forward to posting some questions/seeking some advise and maybe even helping out a little when I can.  Thanks in advance for anything and everything.  Cheers!

osubuckeye4

« Reply #5578 on: November 01, 2012, 01:15:04 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm 30 and live just outside of Chicago. I'm happily married and my wife and I are expecting our first child (baby girl) in a few weeks here.

I started listening to TSP about 2 years ago (2010'ish), but really wish I would have started listening earlier. I don't listen to EVERY episode, but I do make sure to look at every episode on a weekly basis and pick the ones I feel I can potentially apply into my life at this time.

As far as what I can bring to the board... I have an economics and financial planning degree from The Ohio State University and currently work as an auditor for a large corporation that operates primarily in the for profit education sector. If anyone has any questions about financing a college degree or about just general financial planning/ preperation/budgeting, I like to consider myself a pretty solid resource. Like Jack, I will never tell someone to do something, but, at least from what my friends have told me... my suggestions in this area generally tend to help people when they choose to apply my advice to their lives.

I wil say that if I don't know the answer to something, I will try to research it. If I can't figure out the answer through reserach, I'll let you know that I don't know.

I'm debt free (outside of my mortgage), but, my family and I live in a pretty modestly sized condo. For that reason, some of the topics that Jack gets into (like farming, gardening) are unfortunately not in the cards for us at this time. That doesn't stop us from prepping in other ways though. We have a 72 hour bug out bag. I have a firearm (properly locked up at all times of course) and participate in shooting competitions with some buddies to keep my skills sharp. We ALWAYS have at least a one week supply of fresh water in the house, along with a simple filtration system, and well as two weeks worth of non-perishible food. Again, we'd like to devote more space to storing prep essential things, but our space is extremely limited... espeically with a daughter on the way.

I will say that we're definitely not exactly where we want to be right now, but I feel like we're getting a little closer every day... and I think that's an overall good place to be in life.

Anyways, I'll wrap up this gigantic wall of text. I look forward to contributing here and to continued listening of TSP for many years to come.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5579 on: November 01, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »
I'm debt free (outside of my mortgage), but, my family and I live in a pretty modestly sized condo. For that reason, some of the topics that Jack gets into (like farming, gardening) are unfortunately not in the cards for us at this time.

First welcome to the forum and all the other new posters.

Congrats on being debt free, working towards that in our house.

I used to think I couldn't have a garden while living in an apartment. An old friend turned me onto container gardening and window boxes. When It was just me and my daughter in an apartment we had spinach, lettuce, green beans, cucumbers and tomatoes in window boxes inside and several containers on our balcony. Could always start small even a salad or two a week is growing your own food. I recently saw where New Yorkers were growing vertical gardens in their apartment high rise windows. They (two adults) were able to have fresh salads three times a week. Or try aquaponics, but I am a little partial to that.