Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1917847 times)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #5730 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks for signing in and checking out this wonderful forum all you new folks.  There are lots of nooks and crannies, and ask a question, offer a solution or just sit back and check out around the campfire for enjoyable chats.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Offline Herpout

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5731 on: December 17, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
Hello, Found the podcast about 4 months back. I have been doing basic preps for about 4 years now. Just got a 9 acre homestaed in North Florida about 6 months ago. So much to do. So much to learn. Looking forward to sharing ideas. I am more of a lurker.  :D

Offline HazBrowncoat

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Prep n00b in Utah
« Reply #5732 on: December 17, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
Hey everyone - been listening for a while, finally getting around to joining the forum. I have lots of questions now but I hope to be helpful at some point soon.

Glad to meet y'all.

Offline AlaskaGrover

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5733 on: December 17, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »
Hi all
New here but interested in everything.  I have been listening for a while :)
I am a single mom who works too much and is also running a small farm. 

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5734 on: December 17, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
Seraf, that was one of my favorite episodes of Angel.

Offline Lady TS

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Living Healthy in the Modern World
« Reply #5735 on: December 19, 2012, 03:05:02 PM »
Hi all!
Lady TS here. :)
I am a Colorado transplant living in Ohio here the last decade +.  Hubby and I bought the old family farmhouse and some acreage from his side of the family and we've dabbled in homesteading and self-sufficiency ever since. Hubby and I are both into prepping; he leans on the side of protection and bugging out and I lean on the side of everyday feeding-the-family and such.  We have made use of some of our prepping stuff a couple times with ice storms and power outages and the like.

I have a BA in English, and only recently have begun using it doing some ghostwriting on homesteading/sustainability/back to basics/health type topics and a few years ago I started a blog that has morphed from an allergy/homesteading blog to a health/what's happening on the homestead/back to basics sort of blog. My hubby's blog is linked from my blog, if you care to peruse that. It is The Prepared Christian. He and I both view prepping as both a way to be ready in emergency/economic downturn and as a ministry to help others.

We have 3 kids, all in elementary school now.

That's it for now! :)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #5736 on: December 19, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »
welcome to the forum! make y'all selves at home!

Offline runvamprun

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5737 on: December 19, 2012, 06:55:53 PM »
Hi everyone, new to forum but listen often to podcast. Currently in Kings Mountain NC, lived in Upstate SC for a decade, originally from Southeast Louisiana. Enjoying the open spirit of sharing and positive feedback on the FORUMS!

Offline Americanbullfarms

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5738 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Hi Folks,
Massachusetts resident, coming in from beginner full time homesteader angle, excited to find you all. Onward and upward.

Offline ksmama10

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5739 on: December 20, 2012, 07:07:59 AM »
Hello from South Central Kansas. I'm Vicki, a SAHM with a great husband and ten mostly wonderful children ranging in age from 11-29. We have three grandkids, with  another on the way. We're sorta newbie preppers, in that we've still got some buckets of Y2k wheat downstairs, and a few good purchases made for that scenario, such as our wood burning stove, solar powered water pump, Amish box oven(goes on top of the Coleman stove), and a former chicken coop that's about to be called back to active duty.  As soon as Christmas is over and I'm done with this gawdawful  cold, I plan to tackle the storage room downstairs and reclaim the bookshelves and metal shelves for food storage. Now, what to do with all those tubs of yarn?!? One of my 13 skills goals is to crochet a tubful of hats, scarves, mittens, etc for stockpiling/charitable giving. 
 I've spent the last few days looking around here; I'm very impressed with the level of commitment and camaraderie I've seen. Looks like a good place..I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5740 on: December 20, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
I'm very glad to see all you new folks joining us here. Hope you jump right in and participate in the conversations. If you have questions or problems on the forum, moderators and admins are only a PM (personal message) away...

Welcome!

LC

Offline David Nash

• Fledgling Prepper
  • I'm not Scared, Because I am Prepared...
    • Shepherd School
« Reply #5741 on: December 20, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
Hey, I am new to the survival podcast, I have listened on and off, but just started listening regularly. 
I am a full time emergency management planner, as well as a long time prepper.
I live in Middle Tennessee, and am very interested in urban homesteading, DIY projects, firearms, self-reliance, and personal preparedness.

I am married to a wonderful woman who supports my prepping, but doesn't really get it - and a baby boy.

I love learning new skills, and do a lot of my own prepper projects - I believe that skills, knowledge, and attitudes are much more important to a prepper than equipment and gear.

Offline BCKNH41

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5742 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm Brandon from NH. I've been listening to the podcast for a while now, so I decided to sign up for 13 skills and this forum. Hope to challenge my self this year, and learn a lot in the process.  :)

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #5743 on: December 20, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
Hello All,
New to prepping here, but hope to get up to speed fairly quick. My name is Paul, but Hypax is my forum tag. Im an EMS Lt, with FDNY. Sandy opened my eyes to how badly unprepared NYC is and I was just a bit better.
Married with two kids and postage stamp house. Found the podcasts here to be great info.
One newbie question right off,,what is with the ants ?

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5744 on: December 20, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
...what is with the ants ?
Welcome Hypax. Check the Aesop's fable, The Grasshopper and the Ant. You will get it.

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #5745 on: December 20, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
face palm to self,,,should have seen that. Thanks TexDaddy.

Offline BabyHarley 82nd

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Airborne! All the way!
« Reply #5746 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm new to forums but Jack has me hooked and I'm hoping I can find some good info here.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #5747 on: December 20, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm new to forums but Jack has me hooked and I'm hoping I can find some good info here.

Welcome babyharley and welcome to all the other new members. As Jack says there is a college education in the forum. If it isn't in here already ask away and almost for certain either someone knows the answer or can point you to where to find it.

Offline kellgy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5748 on: December 21, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm Donald Kjellberg from So. Cal, fairly new to all this and now ready to get out of Dodge. Right now, I'm exploring the country and trying to figure out which state to relocate to. There is a huge learning curve with all this information. I am wanting to just get back to basics and be as the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared".

Offline Semperparatus

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Endure. Adapt. Overcome
« Reply #5749 on: December 21, 2012, 04:01:23 PM »
Hello everyone, My name is Tom I'm from Pennsylvania near Philadelphia and have been traveling back and forth from PA to Wilmington, DE. Been prepping for about 5-6 years now. Found out about the podcast through the TSP Zello channel. Very good podcast, a lot of very useful info. Some hobbies include firearms, backpacking, camping and prepping to name a few. Hoping to meet some fellow preppers in my area.

Offline DCAL

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • TruSolace
« Reply #5750 on: December 21, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I'm Carrie from New Hampshire.  My husband David (Saint Tyr on the forum) and I have been listening to Jack for quite a while and are hooked.  My husband 'teases' me about not being a "true" prepper but we are moving forward fairly rapidly with our preps.  Does he prep more than I do? Actively, yes.  Do I give him my blessing to do whatever he wants in the name of prepping?  Yes.  I may be a bit more of a follower than a leader in the prep department but, I'm the full time homeschooling mom to a 5 year old and, coming along, 4 year old, while also still working and trying to maintain the everyday household to the best of my ability.  Can't homeschooling be classified as a prepping category?  :)  Anyway, I'm going to try to be more involved in the forum (Can I add that as a 13 in 13 skill?) and learn as much as I can so that I can contribute to household preparations for whatever is coming in the (not so distant) future.  I'm looking forward to continuing my prepping education.

Offline Shmoges

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5751 on: December 21, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

My name is Aaron and I am here because of my awesome brother Brian who introduced me to TSP and I have been a sponge ever since.  I live in The Colorado Springs area.  Tsp and keeping up with the in-laws has recently prompted us (wife and I) to get our first handguns, ( don't know why I waited this long to get something other than the sks I have had since I was 16).  My wife is very like minded and wants a tactical shotgun as well.  I'm thinking mossberg non zombie edition but I like the 18 inch barrel and pistol grip with an extended magazine and barrel shield!  Oh btw we got springfield sa-xd 9mm and a .40 cal.  I know I know two is one and one is none and with ammo prices I am kinda kicking myself but the wife wanted some oomf for hiking if a mountain lion shows its face.  Wish I had the extra money to buy the rcbs rockchomper master reloading kit from sportsmans warehouse they have atm for Xmas but oh well all in due time I will save my brass till then.  I have been a regular at 4 local grocery stores that are within like 2 square miles of where I live for free food buckets.  I have about 20 now and its time to get Mylar bags and hand warmers!  Thinking about digging out the crawl space under my town home to make room for a reloading room in the future lol.  I'm a fan of common sense and prepping seems just that.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5752 on: December 23, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »

Welcome! make yourself at home brother.

Hey everyone,

I'm Donald Kjellberg from So. Cal, fairly new to all this and now ready to get out of Dodge. Right now, I'm exploring the country and trying to figure out which state to relocate to. There is a huge learning curve with all this information. I am wanting to just get back to basics and be as the Boy Scouts say, "Be Prepared".

hey don i was born outside of Oakland so i can imagine how you feel. take your time learning. you can't learn it all in a day week or year. we're all here for the community. just hit up a board and enjoy the learning. i was a Life Scout myself. did my project. found out about girls with 3 merit badges left to do. LOL

Hello everyone, My name is Tom I'm from Pennsylvania near Philadelphia and have been traveling back and forth from PA to Wilmington, DE. Been prepping for about 5-6 years now. Found out about the podcast through the TSP Zello channel. Very good podcast, a lot of very useful info. Some hobbies include firearms, backpacking, camping and prepping to name a few. Hoping to meet some fellow preppers in my area.

welcome Tom. there's plenty of info here and the community rocks!

Hello Everyone,
I'm Carrie from New Hampshire.  My husband David (Saint Tyr on the forum) and I have been listening to Jack for quite a while and are hooked.  My husband 'teases' me about not being a "true" prepper but we are moving forward fairly rapidly with our preps.  Does he prep more than I do? Actively, yes.  Do I give him my blessing to do whatever he wants in the name of prepping?  Yes.  I may be a bit more of a follower than a leader in the prep department but, I'm the full time homeschooling mom to a 5 year old and, coming along, 4 year old, while also still working and trying to maintain the everyday household to the best of my ability.  Can't homeschooling be classified as a prepping category?  :)  Anyway, I'm going to try to be more involved in the forum (Can I add that as a 13 in 13 skill?) and learn as much as I can so that I can contribute to household preparations for whatever is coming in the (not so distant) future.  I'm looking forward to continuing my prepping education.

hey carrie. yes homeschooling is a prep!

Hi everyone,

My name is Aaron and I am here because of my awesome brother Brian who introduced me to TSP and I have been a sponge ever since.  I live in The Colorado Springs area.  Tsp and keeping up with the in-laws has recently prompted us (wife and I) to get our first handguns, ( don't know why I waited this long to get something other than the sks I have had since I was 16).  My wife is very like minded and wants a tactical shotgun as well.  I'm thinking mossberg non zombie edition but I like the 18 inch barrel and pistol grip with an extended magazine and barrel shield!  Oh btw we got springfield sa-xd 9mm and a .40 cal.  I know I know two is one and one is none and with ammo prices I am kinda kicking myself but the wife wanted some oomf for hiking if a mountain lion shows its face.  Wish I had the extra money to buy the rcbs rockchomper master reloading kit from sportsmans warehouse they have atm for Xmas but oh well all in due time I will save my brass till then.  I have been a regular at 4 local grocery stores that are within like 2 square miles of where I live for free food buckets.  I have about 20 now and its time to get Mylar bags and hand warmers!  Thinking about digging out the crawl space under my town home to make room for a reloading room in the future lol.  I'm a fan of common sense and prepping seems just that.

welcome aaron. check out the firearms boards and the DIY boards for the "reloading cellar" lol. it'll be good to have one more like minded prepper in the community.

Again welcome to everyone and enjoy the ride. It's gonna be bumpy but we've all got each other to hold on to,

Offline Light-Zone

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5753 on: December 24, 2012, 06:30:19 AM »
Hello,
Glad to have this forum. I am looking forward to the exchange of ideas. We are in the process of putting together our plan to go off grid, and hope to find useful information, and to offer what knowledge we have to those in need.
We are currently in Georgia, moved here from Arizona, but looking to move back out west.

Have a Merry Christmas all!

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5754 on: December 24, 2012, 06:48:32 AM »
Hello,
Glad to have this forum. I am looking forward to the exchange of ideas. We are in the process of putting together our plan to go off grid, and hope to find useful information, and to offer what knowledge we have to those in need.
We are currently in Georgia, moved here from Arizona, but looking to move back out west.

Have a Merry Christmas all!

Merry Chiristmas. completely off grid? when y'all get the plans in motion you should start a thread so we can all see how you do it. very interesting.

Offline Light-Zone

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5755 on: December 24, 2012, 11:47:39 AM »
Merry Chiristmas. completely off grid? when y'all get the plans in motion you should start a thread so we can all see how you do it. very interesting.
Yes completely off grid. Solar and wind for energy, depending on the land, water collection via cistern or well. We are looking at either an eco dome type of housing or earthship. It will probably end up being a hybrid of the 2.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #5756 on: December 25, 2012, 06:34:07 AM »
Yes completely off grid. Solar and wind for energy, depending on the land, water collection via cistern or well. We are looking at either an eco dome type of housing or earthship. It will probably end up being a hybrid of the 2.

Yep, I'm agreeing with Louisiana Suvivor - I would love to get the whole play-by-play story of how that goes.  The learning curve, the lessons learned and the skills developed.  Definitely thread worthy, if not more.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #5757 on: December 25, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »

I'm interested in following your progress on that as well.

Welcome to the TSPF everyone! We're glad you showed up!

Offline 67gtcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Calvary Arms & Training
« Reply #5758 on: December 25, 2012, 08:05:02 PM »
Howdy folks,

Coleman Here, here is my story.....

I am happily married family man who co-founded Calvary Arms and Training with my three partners.  I have been shooting for over 35 years and teaching people to shoot for over 15 years.  I am a Licensed Concealed Carry instructor for the state of New Mexico, and was a Licensed Private Investigator for over 12 years in both Texas and New Mexico.

I serve on my church safety and security team.  As an avid big game hunter, I specializes in wilderness survival and first aid.  Many of my skills were learned as a young man in Boy Scouts.
I am a 3rd generation Eagle Scout and has been involved in Boy Scouts for over 20 years.  I am  currently the Scoutmaster of the troop I founded over 8 years ago.  I have  mentored several Eagle scouts through our troop, but have also offered myself to the Scout organization by advancing to the level of Brotherhood of the Order of the Arrow, as well as graduating the Woodbadge program.

I love teaching and an not only a district merit badge counselor for all boys in the counsel, but have also taught many adult training courses such as IOLS, BALOO, and Scoutmaster Trainings.   

I am a certified NRA instructor in Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Rifle, and serve as a Range Safety Officer.  In a sustained effort to perfect my shooting and training skills, I am  constantly taking further courses at the NRA Whittington Training Center, and with the highest of qualified trainers, such as the internationally known author and expert firearms instructor, Msaad Ayoob.

I am very new to the prepping thing, and I am looking forward to learning.  Any help I can be, please let me know.

Offline DeanL

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • DeanLangley.com
« Reply #5759 on: December 26, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
Hi, my name is Dean. I'm married and we have six kids. I'm a welder / fabricator by trade. A long time ago I worked as a mechanic. My parents were raised during the depression, so I learned to be frugal and make do as a kid. I have always been interested in everything just in case I needed to know in a survival situation. I like to hike, fish and shoot firearms. I've learned how to do all my own mechanic work, construction and repair of everything. I think a person should be prepared to take care of their self and their loved ones. It's just dangerous and irresponsible to think the government will do it for us. I can keep a cool head in a situation and I think I would fare pretty well if times got tough. But I haven't stopped learning new things and honing my skills. I look forward to trading ideas with everybody.