Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2007562 times)

Offline monger20

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Welcome all new members - its crazy how diverse we are.

patrat - always nice to have another CO member, hoping for a CO get together soon.  

agricola

« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »
Hello all

I discovered the podcast a little while ago and decided to join the forum. I  live in Frisco Texas. I'm an artist by trade, I drew my farmer avatar, you can see my stuff at www.mscottsart.com. I love to create things and build things with my own to hands, I guess that's why I became an artist.

Anyway, I'm a self sufficiency enthusiast, and I try to grow as much food as I can on my tiny rented property, but shade and soil born pathogens are socking it to me.  I've been into permaculture principals for a while too, its amazing stuff.  My wife and I like the simple life and don't buy into the spend mania that most of our consumer minded neighbors seem to appeal too.  Eventually we want to have a small homestead and have a nice little farm with some animals. For now were doing everything we can.  

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
Welcome to the board!

Offline The Ryguy abides

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #753 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:56 AM »
Hello All,
  My name is Ryan. I have been listening to The Survival Podcast for about two months now. Since I was a young turd I have been inclined to survival philosophy without having a means to do so or knowing that it was an actual philosophy. Unfortunately, for the past number of years I have been stuck in a grasshopper mode and am now working towards an ant mentality. The podcast has started a major fire under my mental butt but I still have not jumped on board with physical preparations. But, I'm starting now and look forward to being an active and contributing member. I will likely be a sponge in the beginning because I have a lot to learn and little teach at this point. I am 31, married, originally from Minnesota and have recently moved to Northern Virginia. My wife and I have taken over a business and I find myself with means and the mentality to hopefully be a success in modern survivalism. Glad to be here, and thanks to others for being here.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
« Reply #754 on: August 27, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
I forgot to do this part...

Greetings from Cape Cod, Massachusetts.  I started listening in March after receiving my first IPod.  I've since listened to every episode ever recorded and found wisdom in them all.  I'm a lawyer, building contractor, husband, father, and veteran.  Slowly, I've gotten up to speed with my preps.  I'm doing ok on my gardening, food storage, debt reduction, and home improvements, but I have no firearms or other means of defense.  I have a backup foul mouth and rolling pin if necessary.

I do have a Concealed Carry Permit and will join a gun club shortly.  Sadly, nobody in my family is too enthusiastic about my future cache of weapons.  I'll do it anyway, knowing I've pledged to defend my family at all costs and I won't be caught defenseless.

See you all on the boards, particularly Region 1, Massachusetts.

tywebb

« Reply #755 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »
Hi folks...Been listening to the podcast for about 2 months and put many away on my 3 hours of travel each day.  The trips go by quickly as I am glued to it and others- mainly on the the Gun Rights Radio Network- Practical Defense (Alex Haddox), Proarms (Massad Ayoob ) and Handgun Podcast (Eric Shelton).  I applied for my CC permit 2 months ago and it will probably be a while as LA and other states have had a huge influx of permit apps. I continue to train with an instructor with my Glock 23 and try to learn as much as I can about the responsibility and legality of carry and lethal force.  I think we have a huge responsibility so we can be safe and also so we can teach others about our gun rights.  My wife has been surprisingly cool about the 2 handguns and shotgun; of course I gave her some time and told her the her blessing was important.  Last Saturday she took a CC permit class along with my Mom and a few other females. 

I am an Eagle Scout and always like to be prepared...although that I have been a sheep for a while with regards to real SHTF scenarios.  Growing up in New Orleans, I guess I was lucky to survive unscathed after going to many bars in not so great neighborhoods...and drinking.  I am now more aware than ever and make sure my wife is also.  The Practical Defense podcast is great for that.

I survived Hurricane Katrina when we evac'ed, but my house was not so lucky.  In fact 4 years from this moment (Aug 27th) we had already left. K hit on Aug 29th.  That bug out was a wake up call- when ran out of gas in Jackson, MS and also felt like a target since everyone evac'ing had their prized material valuables- any jerk with a gun could hurt us and made bank.  Now I have said gun and always extra fuel on hand, among other supplies.

I have few cool projects I am working on- a chicken tractor to house 3 hens that I will get in 10 days (eggs).  I am composting and eventually want to see if I can survive without trash pick up by recycling, reusing, composting, burning (all cool in my area) and the parish dump for other stuff. We'll see.   I will harvest rain soon for watering and eventually emergency drinking water back up.  Lastly, I want to start square foot gardening.  I limit TV, so I find time to do these things- trying to get my family involved too.

I know I will learn a great deal on this forum and hope I can give back also.  If you are still reading this long post- Thanks!

Good to meet you all.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #756 on: August 27, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
Hi folks.

Welcome to the boards!  Looking forward to hearin' everyone's stories.

PreparedCitizen

« Reply #757 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:30 PM »
Greetings. I have been a prepper for about 18 months now. Been poking around listening to Jack's podcasts, decided to join the forums and participate in discussions.

Offline MB4wd

• Prepper
  • MOLON LABE
« Reply #758 on: August 28, 2009, 01:10:28 AM »
Greetings all,   

Matt here, I'm chemical plant operator living on the upper Texas coast.  I ran across TSP while researching how I could have improved my post-hurricane experience.  Before that, I had never heard of the "prepper" movement, and like most, considered survivalists the crazies in the woods with the tin foil hats.  I have come to understand that I have been a prepper for a long time, and didn't even know it. 

I have been listening to Jack now for about three months now, and have enjoyed every bit of knowledge he dumps while grinding out his commute.  I have been lurking on the forums now for a while, and finally decided to join the party.  I am making steps to become more self reliant, and become more of a producer and less of a consumer, so I will likely be picking the minds of the forum members here when I hit a snag I can't work through.  I only hope I can contribute something to this party.

Matt

sarahluker

« Reply #759 on: August 28, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Welcome Matt.  My husband is an Polyethylene operator in the Houston area.  I hear a lot of people denigrate Houston, but there are some great places to live in this area if you don't mind the hurricanes.  Good to have you in the forum.  By the way, please go to the explain your avatar in "around the campfire".  I'd like to hear the story. There is also a Region five section you can check out. 

ancienthacker

« Reply #760 on: August 28, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Al from the once great state of Illinois. Came to TSP from the Handgun Podcast a few weeks ago and have come to the conclusion that I'm a semi-prepper. My doesn't realize that she is too!

In real life I'm in IT for a research facility managing authentication systems. Spare time fun includes playing with computers, some gaming, shooting, wood working, and gardening. Sadly, as I've learned recently, it's been mostly ornamental. One of my winter projects will be to figure out how to integrate some vegetables into my gardens.

I'll be in sponge mode most of the time and will do my best to not ask any stupid questions. Looking forward to learning a lot.

H2Oman

« Reply #761 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:56 PM »
Hi! My name is Roman, and I'm from western Massachusetts. I found the podcast a year ago, and am now a huge fan. I especially love the wealth of practical advice, and the wide range of subjects discussed. It's refreshing to find a philosophy similar to my own, where the truth gets the respect it deserves. I have a few philosophical disagreements with some of Jack's views, but I agree with what he's saying 95% percent of the time. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and having a great time here on the forums!

chadwantstolearn

« Reply #762 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:39 PM »
Hello all!,

My name is Chad, I’m 34 and work as a Fraud Analyst monitoring Credit and Debit cards for fraud. I’m from and live in Wisconsin, one of two states without concealed carry and as you can imagine I'm pretty unhappy about it. I just recently began listening to the survival podcast and I’m working my way backwards through them all.

I’m starting from a point of having a pretty large self-imposed disadvantage on becoming prepared. Growing up I had many chances to learn to hunt, fish, trap, work with wood, mechanical, and all forms of electrical from my father and squandered them. I thought I knew better and instead Skateboarded, Snowboarded, rode BMX and Motocross, played in rock bands and partied through my teens and into my 20’s. All of this I regret tremendously as my father is now in his mid 60’s and wants nothing to do with any outdoors activities any longer.

I served in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman, but wound up screwing that up as well, over a girl of course. I live with this shame every day and look for ways to atone whenever I get a chance. Not one minute of the day goes by that I do not wish I could take it back. 

I currently live in a debt snowball that I have created for myself, and this is where I start over.  Listening to Jack’s recent podcast on debt is what solidified my resolve to change my life once and for all and turn things around.  I dedicate myself to listening to any advice from forum members with an open mind and desire to improve my life, and my family’s lives, and my neighbors. 

Offline Dan Forrester

• Prepper
« Reply #763 on: August 28, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
Hi

Daniel from north Florida.  I’ve had an interest in survivalism since somewhere around 9/11 but haven’t been able to do much about it up until a couple months ago being in college.  Well I’m finally done with school and for the first time in my life have a little spare time as well as some money (and a lot of student loans). 

A friend turned me on to this podcast about 6 months ago but I’m just now planning on becoming active on the forum.   

Dan

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #764 on: August 28, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »
Welcome everyone!

Dang, if we get anymore Dans on here we’ll have to start our own section of the forum.  ;D

Offline Urban Medic

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Urban Medic
« Reply #765 on: August 28, 2009, 11:42:56 PM »
Hey All.  I'm a long time planner, much newer preper.  I started listening to the Podcast on and off about a year ago.  I have since planted a garden in my front yard that I can actually eat food out of!  Crazy for me.  I'm a former FF and trying to get back into USAR.  And I'm looking to meet like minded folks so here I am.  Oh, I met noobsurvialist at Dirt Time '09.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #766 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »
Welcome All! 

BadgerStateChad, you are in good company as we are (at least I am) chased by our demons.  Sounds like you've got your priorities in order and now just need to realize them.

Good luck one and all! 

Berserker Prime

Offline wayoutwest

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #767 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
Well my first post, have been wanting to get ready incase "something" happens but never started and could not get my wife to believe that something will happen....after some snow storms last winter shut my wife in the house for several days with the power off and on and off and on, she started to get it some.....after reading "Patriots" and starting to listen to the podcast I decided to get things together.....

Got a lot of homework todo

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #768 on: August 29, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
Just did my first post on here and figured I'd better introduce myself. I currently live in the Burbs of North Seattle, Married with no Kids yet, working off our student loan debt but luckily for us have no consumer debt. We try to buy with cash whenever possible and were looking at getting a BOL in the next 2-3 years, currently looking but haven't found the right deal yet.

Just found this site about 3 weeks ago through a post on Northwest Firearms and have been hooked since, have downloaded about 170 of the podcast so far and have listened to close to 100+ and I love it. We recently went on a road trip and I had my wife listen to a few as well and she's really getting into it as well, we now have a good plan set and I feel much more comfortable talking to her about situations...

Thanks so much Jack for a doing such a great job, plan on joining the members support real soon!

Offline e551st

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #769 on: August 29, 2009, 02:35:31 PM »
Intro- I was directed to the site by my brother 2 weeks ago, and have been downloading the SPC to my ipod since. growing up in a Hurricane zone I have been a modest prep-er up until the latest BS with our government actions, i.e. Bail Outs, Cap and Trade, Health Care reform...

So, I decided to join the forum and obtain valuable insight from knowledgeable members here that are like minded.

I've lived all over the U.S., Born-Yosemite and ended up at the Outer Banks of North Carolina courtesy of the National Park Service and my father's career.

Currently living in Virginia and preparing for hard times even if it never happens.

Cheers,

Ed

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #770 on: August 29, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
So many new people.
Welcome to all.

Its so nice to know that you aren't "The voice of one crying in the wilderness" as I felt I was this time last year.

Offline No One of Consequence

• Prepper
« Reply #771 on: August 29, 2009, 11:22:37 PM »
Hello. I’m Jim, a fairly regular (early 40’s, unmarried, professional) guy currently in Southern California. I discovered TSP somewhere around #40, and appreciate a place with quality information and minimal shouting.

The “Prepper” label would probably fit, but I’m not really into labels. A volatile job market (Film & TV) was enough to make me an opportunity buyer, natural and other disasters just reinforce and expand on a good idea. ‘Been asking “what if” since childhood. I’m a general-purpose tinkerer, comfortable with projects like cars, solar, and woodworking - kinda’ weak on comms and food production, but working to change that.

Not much of a political agenda, beyond the Jeffersonian concept of “the problems of too much liberty are preferable to the problems of not enough of it”. ‘Guess I’m a libertarian with a small “l” – grrrrr, there goes another label.

Not completely socially incompetent, but think Mark Twain got it right when suggesting we use our ears and mouths in the same proportion that nature gave ‘em to us.

Not looking for trouble, but mistreat my friends, an animal, or a lady at your own risk.

Hey, once you get past the Earthquakes, Fires, Floods, Pestilence, and Civil Unrest, LA’s a pretty nice place to live. Oh, I forgot Traffic, Taxes, Panhandlers, Potholes, Gangs, Graffiti, and expensive Just-About-Everything…what am I still doing here?

I’ll add what I can, when I can. Thanks to those who have added quite a lot already. And a thank you to Sister Wolf & The Wilderness for being so hospitable to a complete stranger at Dirttime.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #772 on: August 30, 2009, 01:37:14 AM »
Welcome all, we have been offline for about a week and its great to see so many new members here when we returned.

No One of Consequence, it was our pleasure, DT09 was a blast.

The Wilderness

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #773 on: August 30, 2009, 01:40:23 AM »
NOOC - GREAT to meet you at DT09.  I'm thrilled that you're on the forum now.  :)

patrick_b

« Reply #774 on: August 30, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »
Morning folks. New guy around here. Started listening to TSP in recent months after reading Forstchen's, "One Second After." I've always enjoyed PAW fiction but Forstchen's book was really eye opening. Took a work of fiction to open my eyes!

I recently started to research the personal prep world and found TSP and have really enjoyed it. I'm just getting started down this road and am trying to avoid some of the pitfalls like buying a bunch of stuff right off the bat. I'd like to learn a bit first.

To date, I've stocked up on additional 5 Gal water bottles and my wife has started to buy some bulk non-perishables as she sees items on sale. I've always been a flashlight junky so I probably have a half dozen or so modern LED lights (Fenix, SF & Olight) but I stocked up on CR123's and AA's to run them. I've started to put together a couple of BOB's with FAK's, clothing and other essentials for the family (tough to plan clothes for a 3 & 6 yr old. They grow out of stuff so damn quickly! I travel for business just about weekly, so that throws a bit of a curve into my preps as well. Lastly, I've slowly been buying extra ammo.

Anyway, look forward to learning and eventually participating. Thanks for offering such a great resource!

Offline Tiretool

• Prepper
  • Airsoft Maniac
« Reply #775 on: August 30, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »
Howdy all,
Tiretool here. My name is Curtis I'm a registered nurse living in SE Oklahoma father of 1 great daughter.  ;D
I've been a "I got that around here someplace just in case " prepper most of my life. Now I'm trying to get it organized , prepped, and sustainable for the long haul. I think this site community is the place to help learn how to do that.
Hats off to Jack and all the great folks keeping this site running!

Tiretool

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #776 on: August 31, 2009, 08:57:51 AM »
Tywebb,

Welcome to the forum! I was living in New Orleans a few years ago (attending grad school at Loyola) and had to evac for Hurricane Katrina too. It has been weird the past few days, thinking back to that hectic and scary week. Katrina was a wake up call for me too.

Hi folks...Been listening to the podcast for about 2 months and put many away on my 3 hours of travel each day.  The trips go by quickly as I am glued to it and others- mainly on the the Gun Rights Radio Network- Practical Defense (Alex Haddox), Proarms (Massad Ayoob ) and Handgun Podcast (Eric Shelton).  I applied for my CC permit 2 months ago and it will probably be a while as LA and other states have had a huge influx of permit apps. I continue to train with an instructor with my Glock 23 and try to learn as much as I can about the responsibility and legality of carry and lethal force.  I think we have a huge responsibility so we can be safe and also so we can teach others about our gun rights.  My wife has been surprisingly cool about the 2 handguns and shotgun; of course I gave her some time and told her the her blessing was important.  Last Saturday she took a CC permit class along with my Mom and a few other females. 

I am an Eagle Scout and always like to be prepared...although that I have been a sheep for a while with regards to real SHTF scenarios.  Growing up in New Orleans, I guess I was lucky to survive unscathed after going to many bars in not so great neighborhoods...and drinking.  I am now more aware than ever and make sure my wife is also.  The Practical Defense podcast is great for that.

I survived Hurricane Katrina when we evac'ed, but my house was not so lucky.  In fact 4 years from this moment (Aug 27th) we had already left. K hit on Aug 29th.  That bug out was a wake up call- when ran out of gas in Jackson, MS and also felt like a target since everyone evac'ing had their prized material valuables- any jerk with a gun could hurt us and made bank.  Now I have said gun and always extra fuel on hand, among other supplies.

I have few cool projects I am working on- a chicken tractor to house 3 hens that I will get in 10 days (eggs).  I am composting and eventually want to see if I can survive without trash pick up by recycling, reusing, composting, burning (all cool in my area) and the parish dump for other stuff. We'll see.   I will harvest rain soon for watering and eventually emergency drinking water back up.  Lastly, I want to start square foot gardening.  I limit TV, so I find time to do these things- trying to get my family involved too.

I know I will learn a great deal on this forum and hope I can give back also.  If you are still reading this long post- Thanks!

Good to meet you all.

Offline John McCann

• Prepper
  • A knifeless man is a lifeless man.
    • Survival Resources
« Reply #777 on: August 31, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »
Just checking in as normally required by a new member.  New to this forum... so letting everyone know I'm here.  I'm from the northeast and have an interest in survival techniques and kits.  Hope to learn new things.

Coyote Spirit 

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #778 on: August 31, 2009, 08:13:30 PM »
welcome everyone! hope you find it very lovely here.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #779 on: August 31, 2009, 09:16:49 PM »
Just checking in as normally required by a new member.  New to this forum... so letting everyone know I'm here.  I'm from the northeast and have an interest in survival techniques and kits.  Hope to learn new things.

Coyote Spirit 

People you need to know a lot more about Coyote Spirit, he is not new to survival at all, this is John McCann the author of  Build the Perfect Survival Kit. The only book published exclusively about survival kits. His website is Survival Resources. John was one of the instructors at DT09 and Sis and I spent a fair amount of time with John and his wife Denise. Not only do they sell survival gear they have an Outdoor Skills School that they run together. They are very good people and will be getting all of my business in the future. John is obsessed with the quality of his products and the satisfaction of his customers. His business philosophy is exactly what members of this forum would expect from a company. I cannot say enough good things about these people. I urge all of you to check out John's website and send as much business his way as possible. 

The Wilderness