Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1917071 times)

HOUNDDOG

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #990 on: September 22, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
Hello from Anchorage Alaska. I am 50 years old married man with three kids (grown) and seven grandkids. I was in the Army for six years and been in security and law enforcement since 1978. My wife and I both have our BOB in our cars and been in the prep mode for about 10 years. Always looking for new information and contacts. Just found this sight tonight. Working on the kids to get them more ready should the SHTF. Its a slow process but we have  family plan at least. Which by the way is a living document changing as we get older and the grandkids change schools etc.
Hey Arcticman. Welcome. I signed up yesterday. I was born in Anchorage 53 years ago. Back then it was a territory. Ft. Richardson is actually my place of birth. My father was in the army at the time. Stay cool. Peace.

Offline wrj0

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #991 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
Greetings, All.

Just joined the forum but have been lurking for a while and have listened to the first 50 or so podcasts, along with those from the last couple of months.  Lots of terrific info – thanks.  Currently living/working in the Raleigh, NC area; also do some occasional work on a BOL in the much less populated NW corner of the state.

gfmun

« Reply #992 on: September 22, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »
Hello everybody from Granbury, Texas.  My name is George and I am mostly retired, but my wife still works full time.  Hurricanes Katrina and Rita really gave us a wake up call to do something, and start doing it now.  We have some food and water stored, maybe a months worth and we will be starting a small garden in the spring.  We will probably " Bug In " rather than Bug Out, but we do have plans in case and are ready to go if we have to.  Finding the podcast and the forums are a great help, and we appreciate you.

George

Offline dallasfromdallas

• Prepper
« Reply #993 on: September 22, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »
Hi, Everybody --

I figure it's time for me to introduce myself.  My name is Dallas and I am a TSP junky.  I grew up in rural southern OK, spending a great deal of that youth on my grandmother's small-scale rabbit and chicken farm.  Naturally I spent a lot of time working in the one acre garden as well as maintaining and butchering the meat animals.  I also grew up doing a lot of small game hunting with my father and grandfather, both avid hunters and bird dog trainers at the time.  Being in the outdoors was THE way of life. 

I ventured away from this lifestyle when I went to college.  A liberal environment will suck the Southern soul out of the most avid country boy on occasion.  Fast forward to three years ago...teaching at a very liberal university in Seattle, I realized that I missed my roots.  So, I planted a SF garden.  A few months later I built a chicken coop and raised four layers, five minutes north of downtown Seattle. 

Since I've always been into firearms, I was a regular on AR15.com.  As an aversion to the drama that exists there on occasion, I ventured into the Survival forum and became heavily involved in preparedness.  Shortly after TSP started someone made me hip to it and I forgot about it for several months.  However, as a result of Arfcom's survival forum, I came across "Lights Out" by Halffast (David Crawford).  I loved it.  After reading it, I heard that someone was putting together an audio version.  Once again, I came across TSP.  I listened to one of the podcasts while cleaning house one day and I was hooked.  Needless to say, TSP has had a serious impact on my life. 

I have since taken a "break" from academia and am in the process of opening my own business in Houston.  I look forward to, hopefully, connecting with like-minded individuals in the Houston area and region five in general.  I have been reading a lot of the forum as of late and am incredibly impressed with the amount of knowledge that is being exchanged here.  So, with my life story in check, I thank you all for the contributions you have made and continue to make.  And, I thank Jack for being the catalyst that has spurred the growth of this group.  My quality of life continues to improve every day and TSP is a major impetus in that growth.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #994 on: September 22, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
Welcome to the boards everyone!

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #995 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »
Hello all...Brian here. I'm new to the forum but have been listening to TSP for quite some time. I've been into this lifestyle for some time, have a great wife who is fully on board and helps anyway she can.

I'm in the process of moving from a more prepper centric philosophy to one of more self sufficiency. I think I'll eventually end up down the middle some where.

Not much to know about me really, I'm a computer geek and currently in IT sales selling storage, more from a technical perspective than a sales one. I'm really into riding motorcycles, mostly dirt bikes, my wife and 3 kids ride as well and I also ride a big adventure bike. We're also very into camping, shooting, bow and gun hunting, reloading, 4x4's and I just passed my Ham radio Technician this past weekend. We're learning to garden and have a small one going out back producing some staples, but we definitely have a lot to learn there.

I'm really on a mission to eliminate all of my debt as soon as possible as I've finally realized it's a cancer. Much like smoking cigarette's it's not easy, you need to go cold turkey but it can be done.

I'm slowly getting my extended family on board.

Anyway, that's all there is know about me. Looking forward to meeting and talking with all of you.

-Brian

Offline slamfire69

• Fledgling Prepper
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/slamfire69
« Reply #996 on: September 22, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
Hey my name is tony. I’ve been into survival for as long as I can remember.  I have just recently started ramping up my food storage program. I am stocking up for 7 people so it’s taking me a little longer than I want. I have taken firearms classes at Tactical Response (fighting rifle and fighting pistol) and Trident Concepts (Combative Carbine). I have also taken the basic scout class from Onpoint Tactical. I found one acre of land in SW Wyoming around where I live and am building a Earthbag/Papercrete  house. Im not an earth hugger but building this way is cheap. I pretty much finished my root cellar this summer. I built the cellar out of railroad ties. Right now I have a well. I have to use solar and wind power. There is no other power source. In the weapons and ammo department I am pretty well set. I was well ahead of the curve on the ammo and gun buying spree. This is my third year of gardening. I have yet started to can my own food.

Maverick68

« Reply #997 on: September 22, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
Hi.
Live outside of Minneapolis.  Just got interested in these topics with the recent economic/political items going on. 

Living out on a hobby farm and starting to put the pieces together. 

Love all the topics.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #998 on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:51 PM »
Welcome All! 

Offline Seth

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #999 on: September 23, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I have been listening to the podcast since...about 125 I think...still trying to catch up.  I live in the Richmond area and I'm still trying to become a better American every day.  Thanks for all your help Jack!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #1000 on: September 23, 2009, 08:05:27 AM »
I think I already posted on the intro thread, but I wanted to have the #1000 post, so here I am  ;D

I am a mommy in northern Utah, and have had a prepper mindset for a very long time.  thought it was homesteading, but now I know it is prepper.  thanks Jack for guiding me in my journey!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #1001 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:36 AM »
Morning Sunshine

Okay with your forum name and the quote " "Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" you sound like my kind of people.  Life can be short so we need to enjoy and live it fully while here.  Thanks for the smile. TBM

Offline Valleymom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1002 on: September 23, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »
A hearty welcome to you, Andrea; WOW! 5 schooled at home! Bless you, my child!  :D

Ha ha, thanks! I need it! ;D  ;D

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: September 23, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
Good afternoon i am new to the spc forum! I am a recently retired from the public safety field.
and am beginning my next careers. ;D i have been listening to the forum for several months.  have a great day

Figurecarver

« Reply #1004 on: September 24, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »
Hello,

My name is Sig. I dabble in primitive technology.
I am also a ham (AC6JC).
I'm an instructor at both Rabbitstick and Wintercount and the last 2 Dirttimes.

Thanks
Sig

roof_top_eagle

« Reply #1005 on: September 24, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
Hey all  :)

I am new here, been listening to Jack for about 2 weeks now.  I love his point of view and frankly I loved the smack in the face he gave me in podcast #239.  I'm 24 years old and I was sitting at a tim hortons early this morning ticked off because my truck (crappy old 89 ford ranger) crapped out last night at 2330hrs on my way to my job as a security guard and I had to walk to work at midnight. 

I'm totally pumped by that podcast and I'm really working on my world view and the way I look at life.

A few things I'm thinking of is taking the advice of buying an RV and get into a good trailer park.  I think I'd feel so much more at home than in this apartment.  Do that while saving for a house and start building a homestead.

I think Jack saved me from falling into total crap and debt!

Oh and BTW I'm in Southern Ontario Canada.

Frazer

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #1006 on: September 24, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »
Howdy,

Imperial Goat, here.  I'm known on other boards as SASGlock2, but I am phasing all my prep and liberty surfing to the new name.

41, married, no kids, live on 2 acres in a rural area near a pretty good size city in Virginia.

Been prepping off and on since I was a kid, used to get Tappan's Survival Guns from the library frequently as a middle schooler.
Got SOF and American Survival Guide throughout the early 80's (recently found all my old ASGs in my Dad's attic! ;D)  Watched Red Dawn over and over.  Had a BOB and a couple of guns stashed under my bed through HS.

Served 6 years in USMCR as artilleryman, combat vet of Desert Storm.  Have nearly 25 years of combined law enforcement and security management experience, currently security director for a large urban school district.  Actively involved in emergency management for the city as well.

Prepped heavily for Y2K, lived with 3 other dudes in a rented farmhouse way out in the country on 300 acres backing up to a military base.  We could have lived pretty comfortably if the SHTF then.  Drifted away for several years, but now, with a wife and home and responsibilites, have been back in for several years.

Well armed, reload on a Dillon 550, currently have about 2-3 months of food and dry goods, working on a garden for next year.  Neighbors have a great garden and chickens, we have a good mutual aid network up.  Have several other close and long-term friends who are also into prepping.

I've got a lot of experience, but no where near as much as some folks.  I love to share my knowledge when I have it, and gain others' knowledge when they want to share.

I hit survival blog daily, and just started with TSP (I have a one hour commute and listen on teh IPOD) - I'm a regular on Practical Preps and Homesteading Today.  I subscribe to Mother Earth News (great articles on being self sufficient - don't care for their politics) and Backwoods Home.

That just about covers it!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #1007 on: September 24, 2009, 05:36:44 PM »
Uh oh...another Goat.

Hope this one's house trained. ;D

Look forward to hearin' your perspective on things Imperial Goat.  It sounds like you have lots to offer, welcome to the boards. ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1008 on: September 24, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »
Hello,

My name is Sig. I dabble in primitive technology.
I am also a ham (AC6JC).
I'm an instructor at both Rabbitstick and Wintercount and the last 2 Dirttimes.

Thanks
Sig

SIIIIGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sig is an awesome guy.  AWESOME.  Thanks for comin' on over, sig!  Look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome to the new goat, and to Frazer!

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #1009 on: September 24, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »
Hey ya'll,

Thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm 35, married, 2 toddlers.  Live in a small town... really a farming community, but we're in a subdivision with 1.2 acres in SE NC.  Been interested in preparedness most of my life... I was a Boy Scout afterall.  Current interest is in developing my house into more of a homestead by way of gardening first, followed by canning, storing, etc.  I've been listening to the podcast for a good while now, and have learned a lot.  Hope to learn more here.

Thanks!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1010 on: September 24, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, buddha! :)

Offline rowdy

• Prepper
« Reply #1011 on: September 25, 2009, 05:43:25 PM »
Hi.  My name is Bobby.  52, We live in the Texas panhandle.  Found TSP on itunes.  Growing up on a farm we always had big gardens and kept lots of food on hand.  We were pretty self sufficient.  Leaving the farm and taking a desk job made us soft.  We raised three boys.  Unfortunately they know very little about prepping.  It is never too late to learn so we are planning on encouraging them and teaching them the skills that they need to be prepared.   I am sure we will be looking for help here on the forum to fill in the gaps.  We have enjoyed TSP and have enjoyed reading this forum.   Thanks for the info Jack and the members on this forum.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #1012 on: September 25, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
Hi.  My name is Bobby.  52, We live in the Texas panhandle. 
Welcome to the forum rowdy! I grew up in Hockley County. In the DFW area now. Great to have you aboard.

Offline lzhome

• Prepper
« Reply #1013 on: September 25, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
Hello all from the Florida Panhandle. I'm a systems engineer but only recently got my first Ipod; found The Survival Podcast and the rest is history.

I live on 6 acres in a rural area not far from Pensacola, FL and have been preping since moving here 16 years ago and going throught two hurrricanes the first year. We garden, dehydrate, can and have recently put in a lot of fruit trees. We're on our third generation of raising German Shepherd Dogs and are really in love with these guys. They are german working bloodline and not the AKC show breed which is quite different.

I have built many websites and several web forums including Florida Shooters Network which I'm still an Administrator. I don't have a lot of time for web surfing but it looks like TSP Forum will be one of my favorites.

Since we are rural now we don't have a bug out location however we have a 35' motorhome with a 75 gallon fuel tank if we ever need to leave Dodge.

Oh, did I mention that I shoot SASS? My handle is FloraBama Kid! YeeHaw.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #1014 on: September 26, 2009, 06:08:08 AM »

Oh, did I mention that I shoot SASS? My handle is FloraBama Kid! YeeHaw.

Howdy!  I'm Cousin Wilfred

Offline Commissioner

• Prepper
« Reply #1015 on: September 26, 2009, 07:07:29 AM »
I've been listening for awhile and just signed on to the Forum.  In the industry I work I see how quickly necessities will deplete if systems break down; that realization started my search for information to take care of my family.  Vitals: married to high-school sweetheart for eighteen years, two pre-teen children, former Air Force, former self-employed, took corporate job partially for stock options immediately before the decline began.  My crystal ball still isn't repaired.  It's good to find the forum and I'm looking forward to learning more as my plans come together.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1016 on: September 26, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »
Welcome Commish, LZ, and Rowdy!  Great to have you all aboard!  Commissioner, I'd like to hear more on your take of system vulnerabilities.  Maybe as you get settled in, you can start a thread on the subject?

BP

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1017 on: September 26, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Uh oh...another Goat.

Hope this one's house trained. ;D

Look forward to hearin' your perspective on things Imperial Goat.  It sounds like you have lots to offer, welcome to the boards. ;)

I just hope he doesn't smoke take this stuff, like that OTHER goat:

;)

Offline TRobertFox

• Prepper
  • "Alright, LET'S GO!"
    • Coming Soon...
« Reply #1018 on: September 26, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
Greetings!
I am relatively new to forums and to TSP. Minnesota is where I claim stake and really love it here. I served in the US Army Airborne Infantry, yeah, my recruiter lied to me too. I have always had the mind of a survivalist and grew up in the cold war so that says a lot too. I too have fallen asleep since the late 80's and one thing this whole Obama presidency has done for me is waking me up. I have to dig out of the hole and revive the American dream in my life. TSP is going to be a part of that. Am looking forward to learning from you all and making some friendships. Peace. TRF

Amyglyn

« Reply #1019 on: September 26, 2009, 10:57:51 PM »
Heya,

I'm Amyglyn, I live in Portland Oregon. I have only heard a few TSP episodes, but have really enjoyed what I have heard. What brought me here is my partner is an avid listener and is winning me over to this side of things, tho i can't say i am resisting the change, as it all makes sense to me.

So ya, lady prepper in training i guess :)