Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1918037 times)

Offline WVHunter

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1020 on: September 27, 2009, 06:13:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am 30 years old and live in good ol' West "by God" 'Virginia.  My wife spent 8 years in the Army as an MP, so naturally she is on board with the gun thing but, other than that, she doesn't see the importance of being prepared.  Although I think she is coming around.
I am glad to finally join the forum.  I, like most out there, had been doing a lot of these "prepper" things for most of my life, but I thought I was just one of a few.
I started out listening to the podcast about a year ago but just never took the time to join.  It's nice to find a group of like minded people.
I've read many great posts over the past year and am thankful for all the insight I've gained from everyone.  Maybe now I pass on some of my own info (for what it's worth!).
Looking foward to becoming part of what I think is the best survival board out there.

Offline badseed

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1021 on: September 27, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
Well since this forum is so well controlled I guess it would be nice of me to play along with the introductions...

I'm 24 and came to listen to Jack through lewrockwell.com which I'm sure we all know and love; I found Lew's site after listening to him interviewed and speak his mind on the Alex Jones Show. Most of my experience comes from an interest in primitive skills and primitive living. I once tried to convince a girlfriend to live primitively in the forests of Hawaii with me for a while, I lost the girlfriend and tried the primitive living anyway with little (read zero) success except for the lessons I learned about preparing for such undertakings. I've studied with Tom Brown Jr. at the Tracker School and now I realize the importance of dirt time for those skills.

I used to desire to forsake this society and go it alone into the wilderness, I was very radical in my youthful exuberance for primitive skills, but now I see that there is no way back from whence we came since life and the great wheel of the universe drives us forward not backward. I have come to see Jack's point of view about survivalism being about making your life better now and I haven't heard him say this but I think we all agree that living life "plugged in" to this matrix-like grid robs from us a piece of what it means to be human and that primitive skills, self-sufficiency, prepping and liberty are really all a way to take back our birthright.

I live in Sacramento, CA and welcome (more like beg) for people even hours away to contact me so we can share experiences face to face.

Offline mactexas

• Prepper
« Reply #1022 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
Hello, my name is Mac and I live in Ft worth, Tx. Back in the late 70's I became interested in self sufficency, may have had something to do with the President and the economic problems of that time. When things got better, Ronald Reagan thank you, I was busy making a living and raisiing a family. Never lost sight of self sufficency.

Retired at age 55 and now living the retired life. One year ago I woke up and realized history repeats itself. We now have Jimmy Carter on steroids in the Presidents office. I have my gold, guns, and food stashed so I am ready for whatever may happen.

Enjoy the Survival podcast and I have learned a lot from Jack. Do not have a garden and to tell the truth it does not interest me but my wife likes to grow things so she will be the gardner.

I have a get home bag in my car and my bug out location is my home. Do not plan to leave no matter what happens. I have a natural gas generator to power the house so unless they cut off the natural gas I am set.

Enjoy the forum, probably will not post much.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1023 on: September 28, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
Welcome all!!!! Enjoy the forum, post away and PM any of the Moderators if you need anything.

MOD team
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:33:31 AM by Beetle »

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #1024 on: September 28, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
Well I just realized this was here... I guess I'm not very good at following the social protocol of internet forums... so I'm a bit late...

ANYWHO- I'm 26 male, married, and renting.  My degree is in Mechanical engineering, but about a month back I got laid off... defense work as a contractor isn't the most stable route to go >:(  The week before the the 2008 elections, my wife and I went to Wally world and bought a few hundred in food... I was afraid of what might happen being stuck in the city and hearing rumors of riots if the current president didn't get elected... before that I was like Jerry in conspiracy theory... whenever I saw a survival book at a book store, I had to buy it!  Then I'd go home and study it.  I honestly felt a little weird, but couldn't really help it  ;D

I stumbled upon the podcast shortly after receiving an I-pod for Christmas and love it!  When I find a job and get the slush fund back in place, I'd love to join the TSP Support Member Brigade, but for now it'll have to wait. 

My wife came from a crazy prepared family, so she's good to go on the survival deal... and now that I lost my job, we're both glad that we've done as much as we have in the past 6months!  Our two little tomato plants in front of our apartment are doing quite well!  I plan on going deer hunting for the first time in October to take another step towards learning how to live off the land.

If anybody in KY ever want's to share ideas, I'm game!

Offline kripton

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1025 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:27 PM »
Hello, I have been a listener for several months and decited i needed to get on the forum.

I am 25, just married in June 2009 and currently unemployed. My wife and I has had a preper mindset and just didnt know it. We are trying to find ways to save and be prepaired for the future every day.

I Graduated from Purdue with my BS in MET (Mechinacal Engineering Technology) in December 2008, got layed off of my job in March 2009, and Married in June 2009. Last month was the first time i did any canning. I was more than supprised that there is nothing to it.

We are currently living with my parents (which is tuff). But planning on building on family land if i can get a job in the area. When building we are going to plan in some self sufficiant theorys for immediate use and future additions.

Daniel (Kripton)

RatioNeiL

« Reply #1026 on: September 28, 2009, 06:09:54 PM »
Here we go!  I Just thought I’d come out from behind the safety of my computer screen to say Hi to all the forum members and Hi to Jack.  I’ll add a BIG thanks to that hi too because the Podcasts and this site are inspirational to say the least.

I’m 36 and from the UK, London originally but I now reside in the slightly quieter Manchester.  Over the last year I’ve listened, learned and enjoyed sooo much from TSP its scary.  I’ve always had a little itch that I couldn’t scratch….I kinda knew what it was but I had no direction at all!  No real forces training and stuff like that but I’m an out door man to a degree.  I also feel that society these days is getting more superficial and realisms going out of the window.  I really wouldn’t like to see what would happen If Times Got Tough, but I think we all know though.
Things are very different in the UK you don’t really talk about preparedness survivalism and liberty even though these subjects are very relative, I hope we start. 

So all in all I’m making the most of the wisdom and honesty shown by Jack.  I honestly feel lucky to have found Jack and TSP.

Here’s to you Jack and all the TSP Mods n Members.

Oh yea, episode 285…the bread’s fantastic!  Now what about that wine…….;-)

Cheers All, Neil.

P.S. Yea, the UK members need to get a bit more active.  We’ve got a lot of notes to swap an a lot of prepin to do!

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #1027 on: September 28, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »
Hey Folks,

My name is Ben I live in Mass and i'm a new member here. I do a lot of hiking, fishing, hunting, canoeing, camping, etc... hence the name outdoorsben lol. I'm 26 years old with what I believe is a firm starting point in modern survivalism. I currently have all the skills needed to do my outdoor hobbies and financially I've put myself on a good track. My girlfriend and I live ALMOST debt free. She is 100% debt free and I just bought a truck last year so I've got that debt. No credit cards, house is paid off, etc... Basically I'm here to get ideas and start things I haven't thought of and expand on things I have started.

P.S. I hate this state with a passion and as soon as I find a BOL that meets my needs I will be moving there. BOL would ideally be in the white mountains region and up of NH.

Offline Balaam

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1028 on: September 28, 2009, 08:03:31 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Jason, and I am excited to join in this amazing community.

I began listening to the podcast about two months ago after searching out new podcasts for my commute (1.25 hours each way, 5x a week). I have to say that several podcasts, including this one, have woke me up.

I just recently got my concealed weapons permit, purchased my first firearm, built my first bug-out bag, became debt-free (except the house), built up supplies... a good start but a long way to go! My next goal is to get a garden going, and to find a good bug-out location up in the mountains somewhere. I grew up backpacking and camping in Arizona, so I know how to rough it there, but I am in Georgia now so the environment is very, very different.

Anyway, excited to learn, grow, and share with everyone!

-----
Jason

Offline Martin Blank

• Prepper
« Reply #1029 on: September 28, 2009, 08:08:51 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a retired Army guy, my wife and I live in western Washington. I Found TSP on iTunes and really liked it. I suppose I have been a prepper for a while but have not approached the matter with a coherent plan until now, and calling our plan coherent at this point is a bit of a stretch. However it is getting less murky by the day.

Fortunately my wife is on board with the prepping mindset. She has always pointed out to me that throughout history those who have lived in cities during upheaval have fared much worse than those in the country. And by extension she means produce their own food and enjoy a bit of splendid isolation (I know, I know you gotta network). Presently we are set to bug-in, once we are debt free the big move will happen.

I thought I knew a lot about prepping, after listening to the show and reading the forum I realized many planning shortcomings and a few strengths.

I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning from all of you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #1030 on: September 29, 2009, 12:00:35 AM »
Hello and welcome to all the new comers!!!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1031 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »
As the Archer says, Welcome one and all! 

Berserker Prime

ryanag

« Reply #1032 on: September 29, 2009, 08:05:33 AM »
Howdy everyone from Houston!  My name's Ryan and I've been a faithful listener of the podcast for about half a year now.  I've done quite a lot since then including making BOBs for my wife and myself, preparing for emergencies that we experience in Houston---->Hurricanes, starting to have reserve food stores.  I'm going to post a question in the Gardening forum if anyone can help.  I've been considering making a patio garden.  Thanks to all that make this forum great.

oboecop

« Reply #1033 on: September 29, 2009, 08:05:50 AM »
My turn.

Hey There. Name is Chris, and i started listening about Ep 247, through there are plenty of eps since then I srtill need to listen to. Foudn the podcast kind fo on accident. I was looking for a podcast dealing with post-apocalyptic pop culture/fiction/etc but has been very happy to have had this accident.

I'm 41, married happily with 4 kids, living in Iowa and really want to live more independantly. Nice thing is, my wife is on that same bandwagon. We're finalyl in a position where we can start taking back some control of the things in our lives in relation to money and where we want to be in our lives.

I have to say this podcast has changed my thinking on some matters, and that's a good thing.

Glad to be here!

Offline WestTx753

• Prepper
« Reply #1034 on: September 29, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Hello form West By God. Just trying to learn what is needed to make sure the family is taken care of no matter what the need.

embsupafly

« Reply #1035 on: September 29, 2009, 11:33:15 AM »
Hello,

My name is Eric but will be going by embsupafly as a forum handle. I've been listening to TSP for about 6 months now. Have been researching and prepping for economic and political uncertanties for about 2+ years now.

Love the show, hope to be part of the forum community here. I have been participating for a couple of years at the Kitco forums under the same handle.

Thanks,

Eric

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #1036 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »
So many new people!
Welcome to all of you.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1037 on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
Hello,

My name is Eric but will be going by embsupafly as a forum handle. I've been listening to TSP for about 6 months now. Have been researching and prepping for economic and political uncertanties for about 2+ years now.

Love the show, hope to be part of the forum community here. I have been participating for a couple of years at the Kitco forums under the same handle.

Thanks,

Eric

Since Hare didn't pick up on it, I'll have to ask.

It's not Eric the half a bee by chance?

Phreethinker

« Reply #1038 on: September 30, 2009, 02:51:47 AM »
Hello all, my name is Liam, i am irish but living in NZ, i'm 34 and not married and no kids.

I discovered this podcast yesterday and it completely blew my mind, not because i disagree, but because this is the first time in my life i found someone who agrees with me! so i have listened to about a dozen episodes already and spent half the day downloading the complete collection. I have used up all my broadband allocation for this month but it seems more then worth it.

So firstly i would like to thank Jack for doing this, isnt technology wonderful, i still cant believe he does it in his car! In one day he has focused my mind completely, i now know what i need to do, exactly. So i dont know if this is government sponsored or part of some political group or other, but i simply dont care, this is one of the most authentic and genuine things i have ever come across in my life, almost everything Jack says has the beautiful ring of truth.

So thank you extremely from the bottom of my heart everyone involved with this podcast and website i really mean that, i'm not scared anymore and maybe for the first time in my life i know what it means to be a man. 

Hopefully i will get to post here some more and learn some stuff and maybe even give soemthing back to you guys if i have any info worthwhile.

Cheers....or slainte (health) as we say back home in Ireland

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1039 on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »
Hello all, my name is Liam, i am irish but living in NZ...

Any impact on you folks in NZ with the tsunami? Thanks for the aid your country provided to the American Samoans...

Offline SaltyHobbit

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #1040 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:34 PM »
How's everyone doing?

I'm Daniel and from Atlantic Beach Fl. I'm not married, but will hopefully be engaged soon and no kids. Been in the Army now for a little over 6 years. Started off up at Ft Bragg NC as a line medic in the 82nd ABN. Now I work in the ER at FT Stewart GA.

I guess I have always been a prepper but never payed much attention to it until listening to the podcast, which I stumbled across on accident. Needless to say there is a lot to learn and after reading some of the posts on the forum before joining, there is a lot of people with a vast amount of knowledge to teach.

I'm almost 29 and for the first time have started turning back to my roots that I had seen growing up watching my family grow gardens and fruit trees, fishing and hunting.

I won't tie up anymore of y'alls time with this but I look forward to learning from any of y'all that are willing to teach and hopefully I could teach something myself.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1041 on: September 30, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
Welcome, welcome, welcome.

You'll love it here.

Offline Stinger570

• Prepper
« Reply #1042 on: October 01, 2009, 06:51:22 AM »
Greetings from NEPA (northeast pa).

Enjoying the podcast for a little while now. Taking from it what I can. New to the forum. Keep up the good work!

Offline dflem62

• Prepper
« Reply #1043 on: October 01, 2009, 09:30:13 AM »
Hi everyone, I've been listening to the podcast for a few months now, I'm 24 year old guy from Montana.  Right now I'm trying to work on creating some sort of permaculture system at my house and one acre lot I have recently purchased.  I look forward to getting involved in the forum.

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #1044 on: October 01, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
Well, let's see...

Just found the forums today.  Read through some of the content, listened to a few podcasts (good stuff!) and then registered.

54, divorced, daughter just moved out for college and now live in a very quiet home. ;)

My handle is woodsman, but my skill set is rusty.  Being a single parent has a way of eating up spare time.  Ex-Boy Scout who understands the motto, but getting very serious about preparing for emergencies.  The ice storms in the Kentucky/Indiana areas last winter besides the whole Katrina thing really opened my eyes (not that the election had much to do with it either ::))

Working on updating firearm skills and working the kinks out of the old body, which doesn't work the way it did 25 years ago.

Look forward to talking with you!

lobsterboy

« Reply #1045 on: October 01, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
Good Morning! Sean P Murphy, I live in Arizona, no there are no lobsters, I grew up on the Florida Gulf Coast. I am 39, married, one son(19) married,one son(17) and daughter(14) at home. Navy for 10 years, own a computer repair business and am feed up with the man. I am here to learn all I can about being independent. When I stumbled across TSP, I was in a blind rage,but now, solace, because I have an inkling of a plan now after listening to the podcast and reading the posts.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1046 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »
Welcome one and all!  I hope you find the forum as helpful as I do!

BerskerPrime

teleman

« Reply #1047 on: October 01, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »
Hi all,
  been listening to the podcast for a while, decided to check out the forum.
in central PA, currently increasing my food stores...
-t

Offline r00tbeer

• Prepper
  • root with zeroes
    • Cashdollar Automation
« Reply #1048 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:46 PM »
Hi, my name is Matt.  I live in the Chicago suburbs and have been listening to the podcast for a couple months and am also a supporting member.  I found it by browsing itunes.  I'm 32 and I have been interested in preparedness stuff for years, although I never really did anything about it besides buy some silver coins and a pistol around 2002 or so.  I work a desk job in IT for an internet website.

I have for a long time wanted to own a cabin or farm somewhere in the countryside.  I grew up in Pennsylvania and really like the outdoors (which is quite strange for a person in my area in Chicago).  I am not really sure how I am going to go about owning a place in the country that since I still have a full-time job in the city.  I do find Jack's podcasts to be very informative though and am still trying to decide the best place to buy some land.

Offline Chug A Lug

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1049 on: October 02, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »
Hi, I'm Kevin in Jacksonville, FL.

I started reading the about modern survivalism a few months ago and got really interested.  I wanted to see if there was a podcast on the subject and searched on iTunes and found this and got hooked.  I've been listening to the archives and have been trying to get caught up.  Listened to about 30 or 40 episodes so far.

I'm thirty-one, former Marine (machinegunner), and am currently a firefighter/paramedic. I have a wife and a 1 yo girl and another girl due to be born in about a month. 

Right now we are on one income so I'm happy when I can rub two nickels together at the end of the month (which is rare) so spending money right now for me isn't much of an option so I am trying just to get into the survival mindset and acquire as much knowledge that I can for free.  Which I can, thanks to Jack. 

I enjoy the show and hope to be able to enjoy and learn from the the forums as well.