Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1937980 times)

freedomrik

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
welcome SueDonim. I'm from NC myself.

jarhead

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »

[/quote]The last couple years I've been focusing more on personal defense, taking up boxing and jogging.  I'm female and I live alone, so I'm ready to kick ass if I have to.  (And if you piss me off, I'm ready to kick ass even if I don't have to!   ;) )
[/quote]

Welcome Pangie.  I would suggest Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Boxing is great to build up your cardio, but you limit yourself to a stand-up/striker attack.  At least with MMA you concentrate on all aspects of fighting from ground, striking and submissions.  I have been a fan (since UFC #1, 1993) and doing MMA for a few years when I can and it is good training, but remember that MMA has rules and the street has none.  Also, I recommend having pepper spray (OC) on you at all times.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:42:26 PM by jarhead »

Offline Pangie

• Prepper
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »

Welcome Pangie.  I would suggest Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Boxing is great to build up your cardio, but you limit yourself to a stand-up/striker attack.  At least with MMA you concentrate on all aspects of fighting from ground, striking and submissions.  I have been a fan (since UFC #1, 1993) and doing MMA for a few years when I can and it is good training, but remember that MMA has rules and the street has none.  Also, I recommend having pepper spray (OC) on you at all times.

Thanks for the tips.  I am a huge fan of UFC.  Unfortunately, I have bad knees (double knee surgery twice so far) so I have to be careful what I do with my legs.  I do have pepper spray, but I have to admit I'm guilty of leaving it at home more often than I should.  I always have a knife handy in my back pocket though, so it's better than nothing.  I also just ordered this:  to put on my key ring.  I initially was just ordering one for a cat-loving friend who just moved to a big city alone, but I thought I may as well get one for myself, too.  I'll post back on how I like it and if I think it's worthwhile.

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Richard and I recently found the podcast while browsing iTunes for some new listening material.  I live and work in the Tampa Bay area with my wife and two kids.  We are slowly building our survival resources.  Fortunately, my wife is 100% on board, so there are no conflicts there.  Eventually, we want to buy some land in northern Maine (yes, huge difference), but for now, we do the best we can with what we got.

--Richard

jarhead

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2008, 01:25:01 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Richard and I recently found the podcast while browsing iTunes for some new listening material.  I live and work in the Tampa Bay area with my wife and two kids.  We are slowly building our survival resources.  Fortunately, my wife is 100% on board, so there are no conflicts there.  Eventually, we want to buy some land in northern Maine (yes, huge difference), but for now, we do the best we can with what we got.

--Richard
I am also looking into property in Maine.  Not as a place to live, but looking into buying a survival home in the middle of nowhere in case the SHTF.  Here is a site that I that I have been using to find a nice survival retreat for me and my family, it might help.  http://www.unitedcountry.com/

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2008, 06:30:56 AM »
Thanks for the link!  That site has properties I have not found on some of the other places I have looked at.  Thanks!

SproutRanger

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2008, 07:41:58 PM »
Hey guys!
   Another NC dude. I'm in Western NC and feel like I hit gold discovering the podcast! Thanks Jack! I have so many questions that have been answered.... it is just an awsome service you are doing. To others: I probably will do alot of lerking and learning. I have always been survival minded but just in the "Rambo" sense (never put anything into practical aplication). So I have read from alot of really inteligent people on these forums and I want to thank you all. This is really awesome and I really appreciate it. I hope to have something useful to contribute but for now maybe just finishing the podcasts and reading and learning. Thanks again!
By the way, I am an Army vet: Team Spirit, Reforger, Desert NTC, and ROKA Ranger school complete. Missed out on fun and games in the mid east (87-89) RIP 3rd Cav and 2nd Infantry buds.
I am a vegetarian but not above hunting for survival or even tough times ( no ill feelings to those who aren't, my family isn't on board no problem) Anyway Hello to all!

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2008, 07:28:28 PM »
Howdy Ya'll,

I am Taylor, a 46 year old native Texan. I am a machine operator by trade and was a HM2 in the Navy for 6 years (that's a hospitalcorpsman for you non-jarheads) and served during the first Gulf War. Before that I was a police officer in a midsized Texas city for a bit. I have been into survivalism since the early 70's and have quite a bit done in preparations. My hobbies are shooting, reloading, shooting some more, hoarding gold/silver/copper coins, putting food away like a psycotic squirrel, building the world's finest survival library, stashing medical gear and supplies, and generally pondering the TEOTWAWKI. Found Jack's podcast on iTunes when searching for something to listen to in the car during my commute into Dallas (I live in Kaufman county, SE of Dallas). Not the Walter Mitty type but do believe in a zombie apocalypse ;). Anyways Jack keep up the good work, yer great fun to listen to and even an old geezer like me can learn sumthing new from you.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
Nice to meet you Taylor3006!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2008, 10:29:37 PM »
Howdy Ya'll,

I am Taylor, a 46 year old native Texan. I am a machine operator by trade and was a HM2 in the Navy for 6 years (that's a hospitalcorpsman for you non-jarheads) and served during the first Gulf War. Before that I was a police officer in a midsized Texas city for a bit. I have been into survivalism since the early 70's and have quite a bit done in preparations. My hobbies are shooting, reloading, shooting some more, hoarding gold/silver/copper coins, putting food away like a psycotic squirrel, building the world's finest survival library, stashing medical gear and supplies, and generally pondering the TEOTWAWKI. Found Jack's podcast on iTunes when searching for something to listen to in the car during my commute into Dallas (I live in Kaufman county, SE of Dallas). Not the Walter Mitty type but do believe in a zombie apocalypse ;). Anyways Jack keep up the good work, yer great fun to listen to and even an old geezer like me can learn sumthing new from you.
Welcome aboard T3006.

Sounds like you have worlds of experience to share. ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »
Hey all!  I'm here from TMM (The Mental Militia - formerly The Claire Files), as well as several other places.  My husband (TW - or The Wilderness) is already here, and has said his hellos, so I thought I'd join in.  *waves*  Hi!

Together, my husband and I are the biggest survival nerds in California.  I swear, we keep the local army/navy stores in business with our uncontrollable desire for MORE PARACORD, and MORE thread for the awl, and more filters for the water purifier, and on and on.  We're constantly checking out how we can improve our lives while circumventing the federal/state welfare and reeducation systems that are so easy to fall into in a place like California.  (I mean, hello, I'm attending a state college right now, where everybody's interest is in expanding the government 100 fold - if not more.  Propaganda much?) 

Between the two of us, we'll be sharing recipes (we have little crock pot cookouts at our house quite often), morale boosters (I play the guitar, TW loves to create things that go boom, or thwack, or fwoosh), sciency type things (We have science Sunday whenever we can swing it - where survival methods of doing things are tested in our local, extremely windy conditions.  Also - things have a tendency to go boom on science Sunday.  I didn't used to think this was on purpose, but the glee that my husband and our dog exhibit when things DO go boom is starting to get suspicious   :-\ ).

I know that we both look forward to becoming members of the survivalpodcast family, and I hope you'll accept us and all of our .. eccentricities .. with open arms!  :-*

MrsRustyShackleford

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2008, 09:01:03 PM »
Hi, I'm Tina & I live in the MO Ozarks with my husband Shane.  He bought me a new iPod nano for our anniversary and I learned about the Survival Podcast from him!  I've been hooked for about a month and a half.  I've learned SO much and hope to learn more as I go.  I have lots of questions and hope to contribute when able.

When not prepping my husband and I enjoy spending time at the gun club shooting the AR's.  I also have 4 dogs that I enjoy spending time with & during the summer I enjoy fishing.  This year Shane's taking me deer hunting for the second time & I'm looking forward to spending time in the woods.

Slowfade

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2008, 05:16:07 AM »
Hi All!

I'm from N.W. Indiana...I live with my hubby of 23 years, two (older) kids, and a great dog.
I'm at the point where it's time to do more than just think about and research this kind of thing. (time to poo or get off the pot, so to speak) Hubby really isn't into this, (but the kids are pretty helpful and supportive so far). He's a hunter, though, so he's contributing whether he realizes it or not.
I have my older daughter to thank for telling me about these podcasts. It's actually saved me a lot of trouble, time, and expense already. ...I'm looking forward to learning more. I'll try to contribute when/where I can.
Our goal long term is to move to KY. We bought some land there, and we all look forward to the time when we can build something there to live in that's paid for, no matter what the size.
Hope everyone has an awesome day!!!

millerized1

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »
Hi All!

I'm from N.W. Indiana...I live with my hubby of 23 years, two (older) kids, and a great dog.
I'm at the point where it's time to do more than just think about and research this kind of thing. (time to poo or get off the pot, so to speak) Hubby really isn't into this, (but the kids are pretty helpful and supportive so far). He's a hunter, though, so he's contributing whether he realizes it or not.
I have my older daughter to thank for telling me about these podcasts. It's actually saved me a lot of trouble, time, and expense already. ...I'm looking forward to learning more. I'll try to contribute when/where I can.
Our goal long term is to move to KY. We bought some land there, and we all look forward to the time when we can build something there to live in that's paid for, no matter what the size.
Hope everyone has an awesome day!!!

Welcome Slowfade!
 You're the 400th registered member.  A milestone that was probably not even considered 3 months ago.  Your mission, should you accept it, is to bring someone on board, spread the word and above all, prepare.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, while we  sound like we have all the answers, well....uh, actually we do have all the answers, we just forgot where we put them.....

Again, WELCOME!!!!!

Caleb

« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi I’m Caleb, 41 from Kentucky, former fire and sar. Jack of all trades. Been into wilderness survival for years, but recently have gotten more concerned and into preparedness. I have a better half who is right there with me working on preps. Looking to meet a few like minded folks.

Offline earthling?

• Prepper
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2008, 06:45:54 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm Steven. I am 30, I live in Southern West Virginia, married, one daughter. I spent nine years in the Army(6 active, 3 National Guard) and then went to college for three years for a Major in Information Technology and Minor in Business. That got old before I could finish my degree and now I work for the railroad, and enjoy the hell out of it. I look forward to great discussions in what looks like a great online community.

striker

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »
 my name is striker and i first heard this show from a coworker around #25. I am 22 and work on oil drilling rigs as a roughneck. i live in Montana and i have been growing %20 of my own food for about the past 3 years in the form of mushrooms. well tanks to all u guys for all the great knowledge i have learned so far and i hope to become a member of this community.

jigsaw

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm Derrick, 32 y/o and live in Ohio.  I am currently not working.  My last two jobs were in the airline industry as a baggage handler and I worked for an auto finance company analyzing credit.  I was laid off from those jobs, due to high gas prices and the other due to the financial collapse.  I'm am currently attending bartending school. 

Wife is 100% on board.  She is a student and works full-time.  She will be graduating in May 2009 with 2 degrees in Accounting and Business.  We have been stocking up on food for about 1 week.  We are making a strong commitment to learn as much as we can about survival. 

I found this website through boredom on iTunes.  I purchased my iPod-touch about 4 weeks ago and just started experimenting with all of its doodads about 2 weeks ago.  Finally, I wanted to see what the podcast was all about.  And wala!  My eyes became open and I felt free.  I asked my wife if she wanted to swallow the red pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes.  We both became free. 

When I go to the grocery store, I can't help but noticed prices keep going up and up.  I keep thinking something isn't right here!  It's like I know something going on, but what I know, I can't explain. Something is wrong with the world but I do not know what it is.  It is this feeling that has lead me to the survival podcast.  The world has pulled my eyelids shut.  The truth is I am a slave, like everyone else.  I was born it bondage. Born into a prison I cannot smell nor touch.  I listen to Jack almost every day to catch up on past episodes.  I'm finally caught up on all the episodes and decided to join the website.  I have a lot of questions.  Some answers might have been overlooked.

-I was wondering what is the best state to live in for survival for low and middle income folks?
-How to purchase farm land, mountain property?  And what to avoid/expect?
-How to survive in the city? Urban areas?
-Basement homes vs. non basement homes are there any advantages/disadvantages? (State of California doesn’t offer basements because of earthquakes) What states offer basements?
-Warmer climates vs. colder climates which makes survival the easiest?

I might have overlooked the answers to these questions but I will be searching the website also. Thanks and everyone have a great day. 

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2008, 09:54:23 PM »
Hello to everyone from S.W. Ohio. I'm 49, married, and we have a son who is 8. (Yeah, I know we started late, but better late than never)
I have been listening to the podcast since episode 67. My cousin, who also preps, sent me the link. I have been listening ever since.

I especially liked the episode 69 show about getting your spouse on board. I learned a good deal of helpful info from that one for sure.
I have been doing mine for quite a while, and I know where everyone that talks about " the look" is coming from.
We got hit with the remnants of HURRICANE IKE, and were without power for three days. Some folks around our area were without for almost two weeks.

While this was a minor inconvenience for us, my wife saw the writing onthe wall so to speak, and I have not seen the look, or heard the usual tinfoil hat comments since.
As a matter of fact, she has even suggested a couple of things that would greatly help with any future events that might happen.
With what I learned from listening to the podcast, I think that I may be making progress to that end.
Of course the three days without power also made a good impact on the need to prepare for bad times.

Thanks Jack, and keep up the good work.

awayfrmitall

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:20 AM »
Hi, I'm Jamie. I now reside in North Idaho but transplanted myself here from Seattle in mid June sometime.

I use to be in Mortgages for a living but about 6 months before the 1st sign of trouble I was getting sick of it and somethign told me to get out so when another opportunity arouse I jumped on it as I wrapped up my Mortgage work.... The 1st sign of trouble was when I had one of my last loans closing in December 2006 (yes 2006... this started much earlier than the press tells everyone). The lender the loan was suppose to close with on a Wednesday closed up shop with no warning on Tuesday afternoon. By the end of that December 3 more lenders were out of business.

I thank God every day that he steered me away from that mess before the majority of it happened. I am self employed and do all my work now via phone and internet.

Anyway, even watching numerous friends lose their jobs throughout 2007 in that Industry I still was just a "research prepper" reading things and reading more things but not really taking any action other than to buy extra stuff when it was on sale but that was my standard mode of operation anyway.

Finally, when the "food shortage" scare happened earlier this year with the rice is what put me into action. I re-evaluated my life and thought .. this is stupid, I am living in a city that, even though I lived here since I was a baby, I hate. You are gonna be 40 in December and you better get your butt moving in the right direction... so I did..

I made plans and moved me and the kids to North Idaho where we own property. We are renting throught this winter to make sure my ideal of country life matches reality then if all goes well AND if it is even possible to get a construction loan next year I'll build a house on our 5 acres of heaven.

Right now according to my inventory sheet we are stocked up good for 6 months if anything were to happen. I am adding a little bit extra each shopping trip and hope to expand to a years worth.

I have 3 kids, a daughter whose 11, one son who is 15 and another son whose 14 in addition we have 13 laying hens and 3 cats.

I found this podcast/forum about a month ago while browsing itunes for podcasts and typed in "survival"... it was exactly what I was looking for.

That first weekend while driving 2.5 hours south to the "big city" to get some supplies my 14 year old and I listened to many of the episodes. Then yesterday I asked my 14 year old "do you want to listed to music or the survival podcast?" He opted for the podcast and when we were driving again to do errands we listened to many more and he asked questions about what he was hearing. It's nice for him to be engaged in the subject.

Although, I don't claim to be an expert by any means I hope to be able to help newer people find information they need and be an active participant on this forum.

Thanks Jack for your time & effort and for the wonderful podcasts you produce.

Regards,
Jamie

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
That's awesome Jamie, congrats on making the move.

Welcome to the boards!

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
Howdy everyone, I'm a newbie here. I recently discovered The Survival Podcast through an internet search for "survival" & "survival kits" and so far this has been one of the most worthy information sites I have found.

A bit about me: I'm a 37 year old gal, from Texas :). Although thoughts of survival are not new to me in light of recent events the 'concept' has taken on a whole new meaning. I have been aware for quite some time that I need to do everything I can to 'get out of the system' but only recently have I been able to implement a plan. I believe this forum and other sources of information will be of valuable aid.

Thank you to all who have not only started this forum and the site but to all of you who willingly contribute your personal experience and knowledge for the edification of others.

I am looking forward to a mutually prosperous relationship with this forum!

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2008, 04:57:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TXChikk!
Glad to have you with us.  :)

Offline LandRaider

• Survivor
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
Hey folks.   

late 20's from gulf south.   

Always had the survival mentality since I was a child.   I got linked here from the SF on Arfcom.   Still lurk there.   

Just got a small BOL built... 8 acres, and 10X10 cabin with the starts of a house on it.  (ICF)  :D 
It's got an artesian well, that feeds a small creek.  Lots of wildlife.  Hogs, Deer, Squirrels, hawks....
I'm setting it up as my homestead by planting as many fruit trees as I can afford. 

Currently working on my new tractor, and keeping my eyes out for a bush hog, disc, and other implements that I can use. 

Recently made a post about good deals, and how to score them.   

jarhead

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
Welcome Land Raider.  :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »
Welcome Landraider! Sounds like you have a good start to a BOL. Let us know how it goes or post pictures!

Ebbtide

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »
Nice to meet ya! This is a great place. Welcome.

Earth Monk

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2008, 08:42:19 AM »
Greetings Friends,

I am Tay Ras from the State of Jefferson (also known as Southern OR / Northern CA). I have been married for a decade, have a teenage boy and a preteen girl, am active duty USAF Security Forces K9, and am prepping a homestead site in rural Klamath County Oregon just East of the Cascades for retirement. Currently, I am stationed in East Anglia, UK, but will return stateside after the New Year. Looks like I will be calling New Mexico home for a while.

I have lived all over Region 8 and can offer insight into the West Coast area for non-locals. I can also offer advice on Dog training.
Looking to become better educated as education is a life long process in my view.

I intend to revive the old ways of sustainability. Great Grandma didn't call it Survival Prep, she called it Life.

Wife is mostly on board with the concept, Kids are being educated as a way of life. All is well for this Peaceful Warrior.

To me, its as much about the journey as it is the destination. One of our rights as described in the preamble of the constitution is the 'Pursuit of Happiness', not actual happiness, but the pursuit of it...it is what you make of it!

I choose to be happy (and am prepared to be angry).

On a closing note, my handle is Earth Monk, my name is Tay Ras. I created Earth Monk because I am but a member of the Brotherhood of this planet. It is not a religious reference.

Glad to be here, thanks for the facilitation Jack.

-Ras

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2008, 10:07:17 AM »
Welcome Earth Monk. If you don't mind, I'll pick your brain later about living in Klamath. My brother has some property up there he wants to build (more) on.

IonicDOG

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Hello everyone.

I'm josh. I'm 20 years old and live in Thibodaux, Louisiana. I've been listening to the show for about 2 months now and just got around to registering on the forums, gonna be browsing around and soaking up all the info that I can for a while.