Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1918659 times)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 02, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »
Greetings everyone,

Live in the Southwest. Started prepping thanks to Jack and his podcasts. Late in the game to prepping, married, and we are prepared but not as much as we would like to be. I tend to lean towards the tin foil hat people, as Jack stated it is beneficial to keep tabs on what happening. I reload with a hand press all my six shooters ammo. Have about 3 months food storage, building it up every few weeks. 

Been looking to acquire a BOL, but not until February. Hopefully, nothing happens until then....LOL.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #1051 on: October 02, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Gunslinger!

Offline oneshot1kl0975

• Prepper
    • http://www.cashlessmt.com/
« Reply #1052 on: October 02, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »
Not sure if i got this right, trying to introduce myself.

Im in Montana, looking for a group of people prety much like you guys. i have been in the Prepairedness boat for about a year now
and slill feel like a milllion miles out. so much stuff so little time. 

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #1053 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
New guys with guns - looks like you'll fir right in.

Welcome Gunslinger & oneshot1kl0975

Offline otierney

• Prepper
« Reply #1054 on: October 03, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
Hi all - I just posted a question in the gardening forum and it was suggested that I go introduce myself. I assume that they meant here.

So...Name is Owen, 38, married 16 years (wife is also 38), twin boys, 7. Used bookseller by trade for 18 years (online only these days, but had a shop for 16 years). Wife starts nursing school in January. We live in Centennial, CO (southern suburbs of Denver). Started listening to TSP about 6 months ago.

We've been preppers of a sort for a long time, at least by TSP's definitions - no debt except a mortgage, gardening, reasonably well stocked pantry, gun owners, pretty frugal. Not a whole hell of a lot of direction to it, even now, but working toward it. I would love to keep bees and chickens, but that may be difficult given the neighborhood, even though I know most of the ones on our street.

Would love to meet up with some of the Denver area TSP folks.

Thanks and take care,
O

Offline ltlewis15

• Prepper
« Reply #1055 on: October 03, 2009, 02:36:55 PM »
Hello everyone, My name is Luke. I live in NEMO, Callao Missouri. I currently Drive a truck for a living out of Kansas City and listen to jack as I drive. My brother and I are saving up to buy our own land in rural Missouri. When we do I will be making my homestead there from scratch and love to learn all the great Ideas everyone has to share. I drive through DFW all the time in my 18 wheeler so I hope I have never been responsible for any of the jack auto rants. Thanks

Offline Iraq/AfghanVet

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #1056 on: October 03, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
Hello all I am from Northern Minnesota, married, have an 8 year old son and a 14 year old stepdaughter.  I work full time for the National Guard and have been deployed in Desert Storm, OIF, and OEF. 

I am close to retirement and have recently started to get interested in prepping, my bigest concern since I feel it's the most likely for my area is loss of services during the winter.  Where I live the winters are harsh and the temperature can get down to -40 plus.  Loss of electrical service during that type of weather could be deadly.

I look forward to learning the basics from those of you that are more experienced than me.

Goatdog62

« Reply #1057 on: October 03, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
Welcome I/A vet and happy prepping. Lots of vets and retirees here.

Goatdog

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1058 on: October 04, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »

... Wife starts nursing school in January. We live in Centennial, CO (southern suburbs of Denver)...

Would love to meet up with some of the Denver area TSP folks.

I have a younger sister who lives in Centennial (along with her family)... wish I could say they are preppers and get you linked up, but she's not quite on board yet. She is also a nurse... married to a pharmacist :) At least they have professions that will most likely always be needed, right?

I'll keep at her... maybe she'll come along eventually.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you on your prepping.

Offline otierney

• Prepper
« Reply #1059 on: October 04, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
She is also a nurse... married to a pharmacist :) At least they have professions that will most likely always be needed, right?

I'll keep at her... maybe she'll come along eventually.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you on your prepping.

That's certainly the hope. I'm afraid that the world has little use for booksellers like me anymore. :(

Thanks for the welcome! Take care,
O

Sir. Vive

« Reply #1060 on: October 04, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
(I posted this same reply in the region section that im in as well sorry for the repost but i thought it should be in both places)

Hi all! I'm a new listener and a new forum member this is my first post but Ive been into survival and emergency prep for some time now.  I currently live in Maryland and work in DC.  I just wanted to say hi to everyone because Jack makes the forum out to seem like a friendly place and the meet and greets that seem to happen would be something nice to do to pass the time.  Any questions you have about me id love to talk to as many as i can.  I'm most interested in chatting about bug out bags and gear and emergency vehicle prep.  I'm also in the market for some firearms (legally of course I'm working on getting my ffl and i can conceal carry anywhere i like) so id like to talk about some options with anyone.

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #1061 on: October 05, 2009, 01:21:44 PM »
Hello Everyone.  Just thought that I would take a moment and introduce myself.  My name is Ian, I am 39, married, one son.  I live in southern kalifornia, though hopefully not for much longer.  I work as an automotive technician, have also been a Harley mechanic, paramedic, newspaper production manager, corporate security, and spent some time in the Army in the 80's and 90's(5th ID, 2nd AD, JSOC, 7th SFG).

I am an avid martial artist. I study, or have studied, Shotokan Karate, Bujinkan Budo taijutsu, Krav Maga, Aikido, and misc. combatives.  I am heavily into primitive living skills, and am starting to pursue sustainable living and homesteading in preparation for moving somewhere where my family and I can live a more rural lifestyle hopefully off the grid.  I enjoy camping, backpacking (esp. on the PCT), fishing, sailing, and reading anything that I can get my hands on.  Bit of a computer geek, I love Linux. 

So much more, but reading about myself is putting me to sleep.  I look forward to learning and meeting people on these forums.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #1062 on: October 05, 2009, 02:31:45 PM »
Welcome all.  This place is the real deal.

Sten

« Reply #1063 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
Hello everyone,  I am from Kansas City with a wife and two kids.  Very interested in learning more about preparedness.  I have been listening to Jack since the early days when he used the two dollar microphone.  Love the show and it's wide assortment of topics.  I have finally decided to get involved in the forum and see what it is all about.  Some of my goals are to learn and learn and learn some more about staying prepared.  I am also looking forward to meeting people near where I live that have similar goals.

See you later.
Sten

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #1064 on: October 05, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
Glad to see you have made it to the forum Sten!!! Welcome, we are glad you came.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1065 on: October 05, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
welcome to all the new folks.

offgridmontana

« Reply #1066 on: October 05, 2009, 09:07:45 PM »
Howdy ya all! 

I'm up on top of the hill of my gulch on 31 arces in Montana. We live outside of Helena, Montana and have a view of the "city".  However there are many looking for real estate to make an off grid location close to their city jobs. Me, I'm looking for a two acre bug out location far from a small town: Lincoln, Montana. I want a piece of property with BLM and Forest Service surrounding for a bug out location - this is just prep practice for really living off grid. Check my progress at http://offgridmontana.com .

Manayunker

« Reply #1067 on: October 06, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
Hello fellow preppers!

My name is Andrew and I live in NE Philadelphia.  My wife and I are on the hunt for a new house a little farther out in the suburbs.  And especially now since we just found out we're pregnant! :o  Living in Philly isn't so bad but my survival instinct is telling me to bug in or bug out much further out.  I'm a graphic designer and I'm 35 years old.  I've been listening to Jack for the last 4 months or so and I love the program.  I listen on my daily commute from Philadelphia to Conshohocken, PA.

I've currently got about 3 months of food supply and some bottled water but I'm looking for a recommended water filter.  I'm also looking for a recommendation on a reliable and easy-to-use generator. (at least 3500 watts/4-cycle).  Also, if you know of any local survival camps or stores in the Philadelphia area, I'd appreciate the feedback.

My best to you all!!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #1068 on: October 06, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
That's certainly the hope. I'm afraid that the world has little use for booksellers like me anymore. :(
Oh yes we do. Electronics are OK when everything is running smoothly, but when things start to fall apart, books will be the best way to pass on knowledge.

Offline Lost_Airplane

• Prepper
« Reply #1069 on: October 06, 2009, 04:07:07 PM »
Hello.  I"m Jeff from St. Louis.  I'm a police officer for a local community college, and a security officer for a private high school.  My wife Christy and I have embraced prepping together (a relief to have her on board!) and so far have begun storing food, dehydrating a bunch of stuff all the time, and we bought our future bug-out location last May.  I anticipate being a leader in my neighborhood in case of a crisis, so we also have a GMRS base station set up at the house for community communications in case the phones are out.....in the meantime, it's like the old days when I had a CB base station in my kitchen before cell phones!  I'm a ham radio operator as well, but have become a bit dormant there......equipment is too pricy for me.  I am the CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) coordinator for my police department, recently finished the training, so I hope to educate and inspire a new group of people to become prepared for disasters big or small. 

Our next project:  BILTONG!

Offline Ivan

• Prepper
« Reply #1070 on: October 06, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
Hello everybody, I have been listening to the podcast for almost a year now, I just never got on the website or forum, so I am finally taking that step.

My name is Ivan, I live in Tacoma, WA (moved here from Sequim for a job).  I work for Tacoma Power as an Electrical Trainee.  I have been in the Army National Guard for just over six years now, and have deployed to Iraq once.  I am married, and have two dogs; a boxer, and a border collie mix.  My dad has always talked about preparedness, survival stuff, and civil unrest, but I haven't yet been able to convince him to listen to a podcast.  Anyways, the whole topic is very interesting to me and I am pumped to learn some more and become more prepared myself. 

Look forward to meeting you all,
Ivan

Offline delta69alpha

• Prepper
    • PAw productions
« Reply #1071 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »
Hello everyone.
Delta69Alpha here .
Been watching and listening on and off for a bit now. Figured i'd finally sign up and hang out for a bit.
Just your avg guy thats  into being prepared and meeting others like myself.

Evil von Scarry

« Reply #1072 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »
Hello everyone.
Just started listening to the show about a month ago.
Liked what I heard, heard about the forum and figured
I'd see what was going on and pitch in where I could.

Cheers, EvS

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #1073 on: October 07, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »
Holy moly, welcome to all of our newcomers!!!!!!!!

Evil, is your vampire wearing a tutu?

Ivan, your pic reminds me (for some reason) of the book "catch-22".  Cracked me up when i saw it.  ;D

Thanks for joining the forum, guys!  :)  Yer gonna like it here!

steve in aiken

« Reply #1074 on: October 07, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
Hello all ;)
I am kind of new to the prepper world. I have been on the  road for some time now, you know garden, milk cow, chicken and such. Still working the 40 hour work week as well. Just wanted to say hello, Gadget and soccer mom sorry i haven't been active on the forum, i am new to this portion of the TSP site.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1075 on: October 07, 2009, 01:04:45 PM »
Steve in Aiken: Glad to see you here. We're in the planning stages of an Aiken area get together soon.

Evil von Scarry

« Reply #1076 on: October 07, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
Holy moly, welcome to all of our newcomers!!!!!!!!

Evil, is your vampire wearing a tutu?

LOL, no its Bela Lagosi he's wearing a cape its just a bad pic with the Igor looking guy in the suit ;D
thanks for the welcome

Goatdog62

« Reply #1077 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
It is really great to see all the new TSP members. It seems to be exponential now. Welcome all!

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #1078 on: October 07, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
Uhm, hi.

Not much to say about me. I have a day job as a professional geek. In another guise, I am a forum moderator on the USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) forum, and I write for them from time to time; I should have something appearing on their website this week, in fact.   :)  I read a lot. I have cats. Not sure what else to say. I appreciate the chance to exchange information here, but mostly to learn things. That's it.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #1079 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
Welcome All!  Look forward to hearing from all of you!

BP