Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1916845 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2008, 07:32:28 AM »
Welcome hil_in_cs! Glad to have you on board!

millerized1

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
. I often say about the Gary North's of the world that constantly predict the collapse in the next 18 months that they will be right at some point.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)  He may eventually get it right.  But, regardless of when, you'll be ready.  THATS really all that matters, right?

Welcome!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
I’m new to this forum, but have been in survival mode my whole life. I’m in my mid 40’s, and was conceived during the Cuban missile crisis and grew up on the Gulf Coast, so preparedness was something my parents took very seriously. They took a big hit from Hurricane Audrey in 1957, a storm that killed over 600 in SW Louisiana and SE Texas, and that event shaped quite a bit of their thinking. Add to that I was a teen in the late 1970’s, when the Russian were invading Afghanistan, the US Economy was going to hell, and it was pretty easy to see why we joined the survivalist push back then.
These days my wife, daughter, and I are living in central Texas, in a location that gets ‘bugged out to’ whenever there is a major hurricane. We try to stay as active and outdoorsy as we can. I shoot IDPA and Service Rifle, and play bass when I can gigs: I've done over 2 dozen musicals with a local theatre company as well as some jazz and church work.

I know BigDanInTX and JeremyA from ZS; even met them for dinner when I was in in Austin once. For those that haven't met BigDanInTX, "Big" is an understatement. GiantDanInTX is much more accurate.

Dan and Jeremy have been flogging me to listen to the pod casts for 4-5 months, I guess. Oddly for someone that does computer software for a living and sits at a computer 70+ hours a week, I'm something of a neo-luddite and did't have any way to listen to them beyond sitting at the computer more hours. We traded my old car in for an older one that gets nearly 40mpg in 2007, and the current old car doesn't even have a CD player. My phone can play MP3s and I have listened to a couple that way....

My wife is fully on board with the prep lifestyle. We are working hard to make sure we're ready when TSHTF, but also to be solid if the powers that be are successful at staving it off indefinitely. I tend to be very cynical about immeadiate predictions of doom. I mentioned that I'm a second generation survivalist - my dad has books from the mid 1970's about how the crushing US debt will overwhelm the market and cause a collapse. The same authors (Gary North comes to mind) revise those books every couple years and put them out as new works, continually pushing back their estimate of when the collapse will happen. Dad's got some Krugerrands he bought in 1981 for $850+ too, so don't go telling me that's a good investment, either. 27 years later, they are back to break even...

Still, there's no getting around the issue that Social Security and Medicare are $60 Trillion under funded, and there just isn't enough money to meet those obligations. I often say about the Gary North's of the world that constantly predict the collapse in the next 18 months that they will be right at some point.

It's good to have you over here.  You make a good addition to the TSP family.

Supertramp

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
hey everyone-new guy here,been lurking around for a while after finding site through the podcast.although not an american political junky or crazy big tactical gun owner (were not allowed here)i love the show and all it stands for and now am loving this forum.thx for such a vast knowledge base and from millerized-loving all the non swear swearwords.anyway i am 37 yr old father of 5 and owner of 1 choc lab avid hunter,fisherman,gardener and have been a hobby farmer and trapper. i heat and cook (in winter)with wood and have trained for 3 yrs in mma but have recently retired due to injuries(getting older) and if i don't work - we don,t eat.i am a carpenter by trade and also the caretaker of my church. my wife is a stay at home mom and a wonder in the kitchen and a creative sewer. she is a survivalist without trying to be just by the groceries she squirrels away when things go on sale .i always prided myself that i could be self sufficient but you guys have raised the bar and i look forward to learning more
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:06:53 PM by Supertramp »

AmadorShooter

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2008, 06:59:31 PM »
Glad you found us, SuperTramp!

I've got 2 chocolates as well.... and 3 kids under 8 years old.  Active in my church.

I'm pretty new here as well, but have been doing "this" off and on for a while.  I learn something here every day.  I would especially pay attention to the "What have you done today" section, as there is some great dily tidbits posted there.

I wish you well,

Chris
AmadorShooter

Fuzzykub

« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2008, 07:49:46 PM »
Hi Everyone.
I found the podcast almost by mistake two weeks ago and have been hooked ever since.
I'm 31, married, father of 2 with a third on the way.  Also can't forget my two labs and 2
rabbits living with us.  It was a pleasant surprise to hear Jack's views on things, and now
to know there are so many people out there just wanting to live a better, simpler life is a
relief.
I feel fortunate to know there are so many kindred spirits out there and I look forward to
learning and sharing with everyone.
Thanks.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »
Welcom fuzzykub!  Hope you enjoy!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »
A round of welcomes for everybody!

Firetoad's buyin'....^^^^^

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
A round of welcomes for everybody!

Firetoad's buyin'....^^^^^
Yeah Firetoad!!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2008, 10:08:14 PM »
Welcome fuzzykub.  Where are you from?

mojoworkin

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2008, 08:05:47 AM »
For gardening, try a few "simple" books like either of the "Square Foot Gardening" books.  Simple, effective and not hugely time consuming. The V2.0 even gives you a dirt recipe, leaving out the part of making your own soil work. It's a proven method.

Millerized - Thank you so much for the resources. I think that now (and I guess forever) is a great time for me to research. The ground's frozen here in OH so I can't do much yet.

I forgot two other very crucial objectives of mine. We have fruit trees that I MUST learn to take care of. I am able to prune properly but I lack the knowledge of using sprays (if I must) and other ideas of how to increase production and keep the deer out. Apple, cherry, peach, and pear.

The other is pond management. I have controlled algae with Copper Sulfate in the past but I have not done anything else. The fish population is abundant and I'd like to keep it that way. (without the over use of chemicals or the popular dyes that people use to control algae)

Again, thanks for the welcome and resources. I'm already learning...

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2008, 08:57:52 AM »
I'm Heavy G from western Washington State.  In my late 30s and work a white collar job.  Fabulous wife and three kids.  Wife doesn't know a thing about my prepping.  (If you're curious why I don't let her know you can read previous postings of mine on this.) 

I grew up poor.  So I understand, unlike most of the people around me (hint, hint), that things can go bad and mean people will try to take your stuff if you can't fend them off.  I kind of live in two worlds: the nice world of white collar pleasantries (and I excel in this world) while I am simultaneously thinking about what happens if the pleasantries get stripped off because a catastrophe turns nice people ... into mean people who will try to take your stuff if you can't fend them off.

In 2008 I was noticing things like food prices going up, oil hitting new highs, and the completely disfunctional political system.  I was listening to Glenn Beck and thinking that things were no longer on the usual American path of lots of stuff and lots of opportunity.

I've always liked shooting so I was listening to a podcast from Michael Bane on guns called Down Range Radio.  In one of his podcasts in the summer of 2008 he mentioned his experiences in several riots and how nice people turned into mean people.  A light went off in my head.  Then he mentioned a book on basic survival called When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin.  I read it.  Wow.  I need to be prepared.

Then I searched the iTunes store for the word "survival."  Jack's show came up.  I listened and was hooked.

All this happened right at the time the economy started collapsing.  I remember early September 2008 when the feds took over Freddie and Fannie and then AIG.  All these "crazy" possibilities of things getting bad were unfolding right before my eyes.  This was exactly when I started listening to The Survival Podcast.  The timing was perfect and TSP made a big impression on me. 

Now I've stepped up the preps (to the extent possible when your wife doesn't know).  I have a bug out location with some food.  It's a farmer's house and he would let my family live there if SHTF.  I have plenty of good guns and know how to use them really well.  (The farmer doesn't so there's a little trade going on there.)

I can't really do a lot of things I'd like to do (like plant a garden).  My white collar suburban set up won't allow it.  Why not just move off to the hills?  I love my wife too much.  She won't go for it.  I'll take my chances fighting my way out of the suburb toward my bug out location.  Life is full of trade offs.  I'm not going to break up my family because I think there is a possibility of SHTF.  Not worth it. 

Here's the most important fact about me: I'm a Christian.  I saved that fact for last so if you're turned off by religion you wouldn't quit reading my intro thread.  I'm not preachy and people are sometimes surprised that a swearing, drinking, wild man like me would be a Christian.  I can't explain it.  But no description of Heavy G is complete without the fact of my faith.

I've learned so much from you guys at this forum.  It's nice to know there are people out there like me.   

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
A belated Welcome to you HeavyG!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
A belated Welcome to you HeavyG!
Ditto.

...& I'll add thanks for your contributions & thoughtful posts.  Well done all around. ;)

Earth Monk

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2008, 06:55:23 PM »
Welcome Folks,
Love that NW Native Owl Supertramp!
Congrats on 700 DEV.
-Ras

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
Hi everyone, I seemed to have missed this thread the few times that I've been here.  I found the podcast through other forums and have been listening over the past month or so (I'm still catching up on the back episodes).  I'm loving the environment here, seems different and friendlier (?) than some of the other survivalist forums out there. 

Anyway, fairly new to the modern prepping thing.  I've been survival minded since a kid, but didn't really start until I was out of high school and had a kid of my own.  Now I'm hoping to keep my family safe no matter what the situation.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2008, 07:55:42 PM »
Hi everyone, I seemed to have missed this thread the few times that I've been here.  I found the podcast through other forums and have been listening over the past month or so (I'm still catching up on the back episodes).  I'm loving the environment here, seems different and friendlier (?) than some of the other survivalist forums out there. 

Anyway, fairly new to the modern prepping thing.  I've been survival minded since a kid, but didn't really start until I was out of high school and had a kid of my own.  Now I'm hoping to keep my family safe no matter what the situation.

Welcome CT9A are you related to C3PO?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2008, 05:25:10 AM »

Not unless C3PO was made by Mitsubishi. ;)

Offline Q_Dog

• Prepper
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2008, 08:23:25 AM »
Hello friends and neighbors,

My name is Eric. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania. I'm new to the survival community and mindset and look forward to learning from Jack and the rest of the community. I am on a couple of other forums, Frugal Squirrel's, and Viking Preparedness. I found The Survival Podcast on Itunes and have learned many things from Jack. I usually listen to the show on my 25 minute drive to tae kwon-do class each Monday and Wednesday. Thanks for having on board.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
Q Dog:

If you're from Eastern Pennyslvania, you probably have the same accent as Jack.  I'd do my imitation of him, but there's no audio capability on a forum.

Welcome.

Heavy G

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2008, 06:36:04 PM »

Had to google that one...Does Mitsubishi still make cars?

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »

Pretty good.  This is the last place I thought I would find someone who knew that chassis code.

Storm

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
Jake, 23, West Virginia.

Currently: In finals week, getting my C&R, CCW, attempting to get out of debt.

Not a lot to tell, I take knowledge where I can and shell it out if it's needed. I'm a proud Mountaineer and my family is the most important thing in the world and worth planning and fighting for. My pet project is to, within the next two years I hope, organize a homegrown militia (dirty word!) that will help out in the community, give survival/preparedness seminars, assist in alternative energy installations/seminars, help out the National Guard during annual flooding and generally get the word Militia undirtied.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
Jake, 23, West Virginia.

Currently: In finals week, getting my C&R, CCW, attempting to get out of debt.

Not a lot to tell, I take knowledge where I can and shell it out if it's needed. I'm a proud Mountaineer and my family is the most important thing in the world and worth planning and fighting for. My pet project is to, within the next two years I hope, organize a homegrown militia (dirty word!) that will help out in the community, give survival/preparedness seminars, assist in alternative energy installations/seminars, help out the National Guard during annual flooding and generally get the word Militia undirtied.

Welcome Storm and +1 for the passion to 'un-dirty' an American asset. Become educated and then educate, I like and agree with your spirit. Good luck and enjoy the community here.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2008, 01:25:47 AM »
+1 storm welcome to the forums.

jarhead

« Reply #145 on: December 08, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
Glad to see so many new members.  Welcome to all.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #146 on: December 08, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »

Welcome CT9A!  I think your observations are correct, this is a very frindly environment with some stellar information flying about! 

V/r Berserker Prime

Fuzzykub

« Reply #147 on: December 08, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes.
By the by I'm located about forty miles south of Pittsburgh
in the scenic Laurel Highlands... :D

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »
Hello, all!   8)

Ron, 40, Tallahassee, Florida.  Married with two kids.

I work in IS/Training in the healthcare field.  Awaiting the issuance of my CCW.  Recently attended Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at church and are well into "Baby Step #2" (Still owe on my truck and the mortgage).

I was more prepared for whatever might happen, or whatever might not, when I was a teenager.  After 8 years in the Army I got more complacent instead of becoming more resolved.  Many years later, I find my preparedness sorely lacking.

I've gone back and have listened to all of the Survival Podcasts until mid-August.  All of that in the last week or two.  I hope to get current in another week or so.  Naturally, hearing all of that and realizing all I need to do is a little overwhelming.  I do realize that the "journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" and all that, though.

I'm working the finances, preparing my vehicles, putting together a good bug out bag, and hope to really prepare my home.  Living in Florida, I have the excuse of "Hurricane Preparation" to not *totally* freak out the wife.  We'll bring her on board slowly.

I look forward to learning a lot.  So be prepared for some, hopefully, thoughtful questions.  Who knows, I might even be able to eventually return the favor and help others along the way too!

8)

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2008, 09:33:48 PM »
Welcome Ron.  We are glad to have you here.