Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1939088 times)

ReluctantWarrior

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »
Hey, everyone-

New to the forum, but been listening since early fall.  My name is Ash and I'm a husband and father of two from the Cincinnati area.  I've been a pastor and worship leader for three years, and was a full time touring musician for six years before that.  I was also a passifist until a year and a half ago.  Not exactly the 'survivalist' profile.  I think that's dandy because not having been raised with self-sufficiency values I have the good fortune of being confident in what I have learned and come to believe as almost everything was taken on with the heart of a skeptic.  So, now that I'm here, where can I help?

Thanks!

Ash 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »

I was also a passifist until a year and a half ago.  Not exactly the 'survivalist' profile. 

You are exactly the kind of person we call a "modern survivalist."  It isn't about guns and conspiracy theories.  (Although I have plenty of the first thing and things are so obvious and in the open that you don't need the second thing.)

You'll find self-described hippies on this forum.  We have people of every race, etc.  We're basically libertarians and don't care about things that divide us like race or whatever.

Welcome.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »
Welcome.  I've only been here for a couple months, but I've found that this is not the typical survivalist board. The only thing that separates us is geography.  We have all realised, or begun to realise, that the things like race, political parties, etc. exist, but our differences are played up by TPTB and mainstream media to keep us divided.

As for where you can help, just poke around the forums and you will find opportunities.

ReluctantWarrior

« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcome, guys.  Yeah, I'm a former hippie.  ;)  Still a vegetarian, though.

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2009, 08:09:49 PM »
Hello all,

I’m 27 and live about an hour west of DC, and I work in the biotech field. Growing up here always got me to think what would happen if some nuclear attack were to occur. 9/11 Y2K, hurricane Katrina, knowing the realities of global pandemic, a bunch of zombie movies, and whatever scenarios my fertile mind could conceive, got me to make my own bug-out bag, before I even knew what a bug-out bag was, I called it my emergency bag.  But it was searching for survival skills on itunes that introduced me to the show some time last September; it has definitely been a catalyst. 

Right now I’m trying to finish paying off my car, and student loans, before I begin any extensive prepping.  I’m giving some basic container gardening a try by growing strawberries and slowly building up a month’s supply of non-perishable food.  I’m trying to encourage my parents who live an hour west of me to put their 10 acres to use and start some raised garden beds. 

Thanks to Jack and to the members of this forum, it’s all great stuff.  Thank you. 

angryamerican

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »
I never know what to say on these intro things, so here it goes any way.

They call me angryamerican.  I have two kids.  a son and a daughter  two dogs and two cats.  I am the team leader of a CNC laser cutting department and I also run a survival website.

I also run a side line business repairing and upgrading computers.  I am using the profit from that to build my own CNC router table, which should be done next week.  Its for the sole purpose of not only adding to my survival skill set but selling the products to add to my finical freedom. 

I have been into survival and prepping all my life.  only difference is we just called it living.  Well that in a very brief nutshell is me.  Cant Waite to read more and listen to more podcast. 

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »
welcome  ;D

MarTac

« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
Hi Folks,

I found the pod cast and forum through a link over at John Willis's Original SOE site, and have only been able to listen to one podcast so far, but it was GREAT!

I am part of a family business located in north Texas, near Dallas. We are knife makers focussing primarily on tactical and survival style blades. We are Martin Knives.  As you can guess by the vocation, we have been into prepping for a while and I have been a student of wilderness survival skills for many years. Love the outdoors.

Prior to knifemaking I spent 14 years running a guided horseback operation in south Texas. I am thankful for this experience as it taught me much about livestock and "alternative" transportation.

I also grew up in south Texas, and I think this really reinforced my preparedness mind set. I have done numerous evacuations for hurricanes and in Sep. 2001 experinced the Port Isabel/South Padre Island bridge collapse up close. Participating in the recovery efforts and then dealing with the aftermath logistical issues. Saw a lot of good and bad from that tradgedy, and learned a lot.

In my daily work I have the pleasure of talking with many preparedness minded folks and have seen an amazing surge in their numbers in recent months. Because of this, we have started to branch out from just knives and get into other items we feel would be helpful. Small projects that focus on helping  manage those short term emergencies.

Sorry about the long intro. I am excited to be here, and hope to get to meet some other members in person sometime.

Thanks for such a great place.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »
Welcome, MarTec.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2009, 12:19:30 AM »
I never know what to say on these intro things, so here it goes any way.

They call me angryamerican.  I have two kids.  a son and a daughter  two dogs and two cats.  I am the team leader of a CNC laser cutting department and I also run a survival website.

Welcome angryamerican, you should fit in nicely here. How about a link to your website so we can check it out?

angryamerican

« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
Welcome angryamerican, you should fit in nicely here. How about a link to your website so we can check it out?

I will be happy to once I ask permission.  Don't want to step on any toes.  I am enjoying the podcast and site way to much to get banned.  I will seek permission latter today.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2009, 09:38:27 AM »
You don't need special permission.  Blanket permission has already been given.  There is a thread for putting links to your own blog, etc, here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

And like TW said, WELCOME!!!  :D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
I will be happy to once I ask permission.  Don't want to step on any toes.  I am enjoying the podcast and site way to much to get banned.  I will seek permission latter today.
Post your link.

In fact, why don't you add it to your signature in your profile.  That way whenever you post it'll follow you around the boards.

There, now you have permission. ;D

angryamerican

« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »
Well thanks.  the site is http://www.simplesurvival.us  I also as suggested put the link in my signature.

Goober Pyle

« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
Howdy - been listening to the show since last September or so.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
Dark here!  I would like to thank everyone for ALL the information and opinions on this forum.  I have been seriously prepping for about 8 years now. But I  have always camped a lot, so had a leg up on some of my fellow preppers when it came to gear.  Working on getting that 360 day mark with food storage now.

Up here in NE Ohio and have the wife and two babies to prep for in both financial and survival aspects.  It has been much easier to do with the help of this forum.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
Welcome goober!

And darkwinter, while you've been here a while now, welcome to you too!  :)

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »
Yeah, I have been here a little while, but it has taken a WHILE to get through all these threads!  - Thanks for the welcome.!!!

Offline perfect hick

• Prepper
« Reply #318 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
New here.  Love the podcasts. 

Grew up in Potter County Pa on a farm.  Joined the USMC and stayed in for 6.  I've done a lot in my life since then.

Indipendant/ holistic/ sustainable/ intelligent living has been a lifestyle of my family for as long as my Grandmother can remember (she's 90).

Glad to be here,

PH

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
Welcome, PH!  Marines (and all other military) are ALWAYS doubly welcome here, far as I'm concerned.  Thank you for protecting me and my family for the 6 years that you served.  We appreciate it.  :)

DragonSoldier

« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »
I said hey in my Region Board, but found this. I currently live in Upper Middle TN close to Ft Campbell. I came from Hinesville GA, near Savannah. I am here permanently. I've lived in SC for 12 years, and the Detroit and Flint Michigan area for a total of 32 years, and had and apartment in Nashville for five years, but lived elsewhere mostly. Hope I can learn a lot and contribute.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
'sup dragonsoldier! :)  Welcome home.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
Hey everybody.

Glad to have you on board, welcome to the....madness?

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #323 on: April 18, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
Welcome to all of our newest members.
Glad to have you here!  ;D

Sandman

« Reply #324 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »
Howdy! New to the podcasts & the forum here. Great Stuff! I'm from Texas and enjoy camping & other outdoors activities. I look forward to getting in on some good threads & maybe some camp-outs too.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #325 on: April 20, 2009, 06:20:18 AM »
Welcome Sandman.

Who is that in your avatar, just for curiousity's sake?

Sandman

« Reply #326 on: April 20, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
Welcome Sandman.

Who is that in your avatar, just for curiousity's sake?
Why it's Michael Chertoff, one of Skynet's T-800 series prototypes, now obsolete and replaced with the JN Series 888.

New Englander

« Reply #327 on: April 21, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.   I am an admin on another forum where we go over survival plans for the tough times ahead but is not nearly as large as this one.  I am very interested in learning more about survival and have listened to the radio show for several weeks now.  Browsing around the forum I see there is a ton of useful information and learning here.

I work as a senior HVAC service technician and am going to attend part time night school at U Mass to study Mechanical engineering.  Sometimes I wonder at the thought of attending school in the middle of an economic crisis but I am paying for classes up front with no loans or debt.  I figure if we come out of the crisis, fine, but if the economy collapses it was fun trying.

My interests are wilderness backpacking, fishing, archery, and hunting.  I have backpacked Alaska, Yosemite, Arizona, Colorado, as well as around New England.

I am what you would refer to as a tin foil hat wearer and believe that the process of bringing down America's sovereignty and merging us under the control of world government is happening incrementally and steadily, which is my motivation for survival prep.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself.   I am an admin on another forum where we go over survival plans for the tough times ahead but is not nearly as large as this one.  I am very interested in learning more about survival and have listened to the radio show for several weeks now.  Browsing around the forum I see there is a ton of useful information and learning here.

I work as a senior HVAC service technician and am going to attend part time night school at U Mass to study Mechanical engineering.  Sometimes I wonder at the thought of attending school in the middle of an economic crisis but I am paying for classes up front with no loans or debt.  I figure if we come out of the crisis, fine, but if the economy collapses it was fun trying.

My interests are wilderness backpacking, fishing, archery, and hunting.  I have backpacked Alaska, Yosemite, Arizona, Colorado, as well as around New England.

I am what you would refer to as a tin foil hat wearer and believe that the process of bringing down America's sovereignty and merging us under the control of world government is happening incrementally and steadily, which is my motivation for survival prep.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Welcome New Englander.  I'm sure you've seen the tin foil hat board.  You'll probably enjoy the heck out of it.

Offline PeteG

• Prepper
« Reply #329 on: April 22, 2009, 05:08:22 AM »
Hello, Just a short post to introduce myself...
My wife & I live out on MD's eastern shore, downwind of pretty much everything...We both want to move to a better location one day, but for now we are here.

Watching the way things are going we have kind of ended up with a survivalist mentality, not on purpose or maybe it was, different areas of our lives all went a certain direction: getting out of debt, gardening & hunting to supply as much food as we can, putting back some food and ammo, etc. Then just stumbled across the podcast and it all seemed to make sense.

So here we are.....

Pete