Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 2005209 times)

Offline Matt66

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #540 on: July 27, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »
Hi All,

Matt here from Dayton, OH.  37 years old, married with no kids.  I’m a police officer (15 yrs) and my wife is a retired deputy sheriff.  My wife and I have been prepping for about the last year and a half and are progressively getting more and more into it.  My mom and step dad are even starting to show interest!  Our current preps include:

- 2 to 3 months worth of food stored and always adding more
- 110 gallons of stored water
- his, hers and pet BOB’s
- his and hers firearms
- evac lists and plans
- both involved with HAM radio for emergency comms
- back-up generator and fuel

On the food prep side of things, our family has started a “family garden” on my parents land.  We started the garden last year and suffered quite a bit of loss to insects, animals, etc.  This year we took lessons learned from last year and the garden is thriving!  The ladies of the family are really the brains of the operation, I just do what I’m told and say, “Yes dear” or “Yes mom”.   ;)  My wife calls me the “king of watering” because that’s really all they want me doing!  My wife started a blog about the garden and updates it each week with pics and happenings.  (See Link Below)  We of course would love any comments or suggestions!  My wife has taken up canning, freezing, dehydrating and preserving in general to keep us in good food all year long! 

I personally work on the safety and security aspects for the family.  I’m a firearms instructor with my police department and train quite a bit in firearms and tactics.  I also shoot USPSA and multi-gun matches.  I’ve taken steps to better secure our home and make it a “less desirable” target for thieves, looting hordes, zombies, vampires, vicious dogs, etc.  On the topic of dogs, we have four mangy ones!

As far as what we do for fun (other than shooting).  We LOVE baseball!  As far as I’m concerned, all other sports on TV are just passing the time until the next April rolls around and baseball starts again!  And which team is our favorite you might ask …… DETROIT TIGERS BABY!!!!!!

As far as Jack’s site and podcast …. I can’t honestly remember where I read or heard about them but I found them about a week ago and got hooked!  Jack and I seem to be, fundamentally, alike in most ways and I’ve gained a great deal of knowledge in the 10-15 podcasts I’ve listened to so far.  Looking forward to hearing the rest and all the ones in the future.  I’m also looking forward to reading and learning here on the forum and hopefully making some new friends!  Take care and stay safe!

Regards,
Matt

PS:  My wife joined the forum too; she’ll be posting as “MrsBarber”.

http://mcgathagarden.blogspot.com/

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #541 on: July 27, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »
Welcome Matt & the Mrs! You really seem to have your act together. With your background, we look forward to your input and your wife's garden blog. Baseball is probably going to be a good way to help put things back together after TSHTF!  ;)

Offline Matt66

• Prepper
« Reply #542 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
Thanks dude!  It's good be here.

Regards,
Matt

Fontaine

« Reply #543 on: July 27, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
Hey there I'm new, I've been listening to the survival podcast for a while now and decided to join the forum.  Although I don't agree with everything Jack Spirko says in the podcasts, it's always an interesting show and I respect him for putting it together.  I'm in my early 20's and the recent advice to young people episode made me feel thankfull for being debt free at this point in my life.  So I appreciate that episode in particular.

Also I hope to hear more commentary from Jack about that show The Colony, I enjoyed his thoughts on the first episode and am interested in what he'll have to say about future episodes.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
Welcome Matt and Fontaine!

Sounds like you both will be a great fit in this forum!  Your both off to a great start and look forward to your inputs. 

BP

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #545 on: July 28, 2009, 06:22:41 AM »
Hey guys,

New to TSP and this forum, so this is my first post. I was turned to TSP by my buddy in CO while I was visiting a week or two ago. But I am not really new to the idea of preparedness. To start, I am 27, live in central PA, married, no kids. And for years growing up, we would always try to have extra food on hand in case of bad weather or whatever. We had a good sized garden to keep food costs low and would dry and can food to supply us through the winter. I guess it was a part of living in the country and trying as best as possible to live off the land. In addition, growing up I was actively involved in Boy Scouts and have always tried to live by their motto of "Be Prepared". So after getting married and moving out from the parents house, I have always tried to keep up these methods. And the wife is usually on board with me. While she might not have undertaken some of them herself, she is fine with keeping additional supplies of food on hand. We just need to get in a good habit of rotating it and making sure we keep good tabs on the levels. And next year we plan to start out own garden and continue to can more and more each year. While we both come from similar backgrounds, we are now trying to find what ways best work for us to do these things.

So all in all, I am glad to have joined the forum and hope to learn a lot. And hopefully I can share some of my views on things as well.

Derek

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #546 on: July 28, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »
Welcome Matt, Fontaine and Zef and the others that I missed. Jump right on in.

TW

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #547 on: July 28, 2009, 02:42:53 PM »
Welcome to the boards folks.

Glad to have y'all here.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #548 on: July 28, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »
For all of you new guys and gals, be sure and consider posting about how you picked your user name and what your avatar means.  There are usually some good stories behind names and avatars.

Those threads are (user name): http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5527.0

and (avatar): http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1340.0

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #549 on: July 28, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Heavy G suggested I post on the Intro Thread so here I am. I'm a senior citizen and can't get around too well anymore. There so much in my head of what many people always considered useless info saying "that's the way ya'll did things in the old days". Maybe, just maybe, now it's not considered so useless. 

I'm the oldest of 7 kids. Growing up in a large family with parents who lived through the Depression, we were taught how to save and not waste. I've heard too many stories of how my parents would walk the train tracks with an old wagon picking up pieces of coal to heat their houses. Living in the city, they scrounged through the garbage behind grocery stores looking for vegetables and fruit they could take home, cut away the bad and cook the good.

I've been in SC for 10 yrs but am originally from TN where I spent most of my working years in the typesetting/printing business. There's a DH, son, daughter and grandkids ranging in age from 10-21. And yeah, you guessed it, the little one plays soccer therefore my name Soccer Grannie.

I enjoy cooking, sewing, quilting and being a pack rat. Taking nothing and making it into something useful gives me a great deal of satisfaction. These things were learned from greatgrandparents and grandparents. Although they would keep us kids busy helping them with breaking beans, shelling peas, etc., we sat at their feet and listened to their stories and oh so many wise sayings.

As the grandparents passed on, I inherited lots of their old kitchen items, wash boards, etc. Nobody else wanted them b/c they'd never use them. LOL The joke just might be on them.  :o

Presently, my son and I are really the only ones in the family interested in this site and this kind of information. We're working on the others to get their heads out of the sand. Since I'm home all day, I'm constantly searching the web for info I'm interested in and once in a while my son gives me an assignment to search for something he's interested in. I can thank him for getting me involved with The Survival Podcast.

Back in the early to mid 70s I helped typeset the 1st published edition of Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living. I have to admit we laughed and said "who will ever use all the junk" ... I'm not laughing now.

Jack does a great job with the Podcasts and there's a lifetime of information on the forum. I will be posting recipes, tips and more so-called useless information. And you better believe I'll be asking questions, too.

Heavy G may be sorry now that he asked me post here, I can tell tales all day long. I'll leave you with this one from my grandpa. If you can't play checkers and win, you'll never make anything of yourself. You always have to figure out if you make this move, they're gonna make that move. A little food for thought.

Well, enough about me and my ramblings ... I feel welcome here already. Great bunch of people.  :)

Fred_47460

« Reply #550 on: July 28, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Grannie...I am seriously looking forward to your posts!! Welcome to the forum!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #551 on: July 28, 2009, 06:04:49 PM »
Grannie, do please share. I think you have much to offer here.

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #552 on: July 28, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
Hey everyone

I am a 20 y/o engineering student, I stumbled on to TSP a bit over a month ago and I have listened to about 70 episodes or so
I am enjoying what I have heard so far and it is making me realize how much I dont know.  I heard someone say once that learning to fly the space shuttle is like trying to drink out of a full flow fire hose and get all the water, I am feeling much the same so far with all the information that is on the podcast and all the windows it opens up, also the stuff on the forums.

I have had the thought process of being ready for stuff for a while from talking with my dad about events and how they might play out etc, but it has been mental exercises rather than actually getting ready for those things which is better than nothing but not as good as it could be

cant think of anything else to put in this post here right now, I will probably be asking alot of questions, but as one of my teachers says "there are no stupid questions, only exceptionally inquisitive idiots" I will try not to be one of those anyhow when I am asking  ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »

Heavy G may be sorry now that he asked me post here, I can tell tales all day long.

soccer grannie:

I am very glad of what I've unleashed.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #554 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »
Back in the early to mid 70s I helped typeset the 1st published edition of Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living. I have to admit we laughed and said "who will ever use all the junk" ... I'm not laughing now.

soccer grannie,

Glad to have you aboard. As for the section I quoted, I find this particularly interesting because of my family interest in printing. While I am a Manufacturing Engineer now, my father was a public school printing teacher, so I spent a lot of my youth running presses and learning that trade. And through my schooling, I worked a lot for various printing companies in town. And as it is now, my brother and uncle still work for a local printer. So it is great to hear someone that knows the typesetting skills and worked in the old time printing industry. And while my father is just recently retired, when he did teach, he always made his first year students do a short lesson on type setting. They hated it, but he felt it was necessary for them to know where the trade has come from, as well as where it was going. Not sure if the new teacher will continue that lesson or not, but there are still cases and cases of type still.

Offline Taltoz

• Prepper
« Reply #555 on: July 29, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
Hello all. My name is Jason and I am a 30 years old. I have been married for 12 years and we have two kids. I north Florida native who relocated to western Kentucky about 2 years ago. I am a network administrator for a small consulting company here.

I am fairly new to prepping but we have always tried to be as self sufficient as possible. We are finishing up the process of building our house on a small family farm that we run with my wife's parents and siblings. We try to grow and store as much produce as we can and we also raise chickens (layers and broilers) along with cows, sheep, and goats. Oh and we also have more horses than we should.

I am looking forward to participating in this forum and learning from all of you.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #556 on: July 30, 2009, 12:38:04 AM »
Welcome All!

Soccer Grannie, I just recieved my copy of The Encyclopedia of Country Living last week on the advise of Sister Wolf and was not disappointed!  It's very cool to have you aboard! 

Berserker Prime

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #557 on: July 30, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
Hi. I'm Pat Huttanus. I live in the Philadelphia area. I've been prep minded for a long time. Unfortunately, I'm very well prepped at present. I've hunted and fished when younger. I've worked farms, construction, Army, butchering/meat cutting, warehousing, etc. So I have a good base of useful skills.
I was always the guy with a huge pantry that could make anything taste good. Neighbors used to come to our house when they smelled my cooking. They always wanted a taste but didn't want to know what is was. You could never be sure what meat was getting spiced and turned into biscuit gravy.
I was injured several years ago and I'm still trying to get my prep and body back where they should be.
I found Jack's podcast a week or so back. Listening to him and browsing the forum have motivated me to get back where I should be prep and fitness wise. I'm going to put some raised beds in the back yard and work more on overall fitness for a start. My progress may be slow because of stuctural and pain issues. But I'll stumbling in the right direction again.
I want to thank Jack for a motivating show and I should be a supporting member within the next few weeks.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #558 on: July 30, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
Hi. I'm Pat Huttanus. I live in the Philadelphia area. I've been prep minded for a long time. Unfortunately, I'm very well prepped at present. I've hunted and fished when younger. I've worked farms, construction, Army, butchering/meat cutting, warehousing, etc. So I have a good base of useful skills.
I was always the guy with a huge pantry that could make anything taste good. Neighbors used to come to our house when they smelled my cooking. They always wanted a taste but didn't want to know what is was. You could never be sure what meat was getting spiced and turned into biscuit gravy.
I was injured several years ago and I'm still trying to get my prep and body back where they should be.
I found Jack's podcast a week or so back. Listening to him and browsing the forum have motivated me to get back where I should be prep and fitness wise. I'm going to put some raised beds in the back yard and work more on overall fitness for a start. My progress may be slow because of stuctural and pain issues. But I'll stumbling in the right direction again.
I want to thank Jack for a motivating show and I should be a supporting member within the next few weeks.
Welcome to the board Pat, & welcome back to the preparedness fold.  Sounds like you have lots of useful skills already.  Don't be afraid to share with the less experienced here, they could use your guidance.  I saw your post on butchering BTW, solid advice.  Thanks for sharing it. ;)

Best wishes to your continued recovery.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #559 on: July 30, 2009, 08:07:43 PM »
Welcome Phuttan!  Won't you be my neighbor? ;D

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #560 on: July 31, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully, I'll be checking the forum daily and I'll try to weigh-in when I think that I can help.
I don't have random meat coming into the house much these days, but my kids have been bugging to spend more time in the kitchen.

Offline johnlebris

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Disgruntled Military Veteran (under a fake name)
« Reply #561 on: August 01, 2009, 02:45:44 PM »
Hey y'all,

First of all, thanks Jack for the great podcasts. I've been listening for the past few months. They are wonderful.

I'm yet another Texan, 42, married and no kids from Houston. I was born and lived up until 11 years old near Manhattan. My dad transferred to here and now I consider Houston home. I've spent many years living through flooding, hurricanes, and tornadoes. I also had the privilege and good fortune to spend my summers at my family's farmhouse in a remote part of Spain. I learned about gardening from my grandpa and a local gentleman named Pedro. We raised vegetables, roses, and a bunch of other plants.

I went to UT-Austin, married a wonderful lady, and then enlisted in the Navy. I served eight years. I was a Cryptologic Technician, Interpretive (Russian). (Army equivalent is a 98G.) I did a lot of odd things, some of which I can talk about, some I can't. I've spent some time on ships and subs, and on chemical depots and biological weapons research/production facilities.

I realized that I was a libertarian when I read Free to Choose by Milton Friedman and How to Prosper During the Coming Bad Years by Howard J. ruff as a kid. I also learned the value of preparing from the second book and the value of taking predictions of doom with a grain of salt.

So you can see why The survival Podcast resonates with me.

I've always had extra food around the house, flashlights, batteries, etc. I've made it a habit to have at least a half tank of gas in my car during hurricane season. I had never sat down though and made a list of how many flashlights and how many batteries I have. I've started doing that kind of thing now. We got really lucky with all the storms we had in the past. I think I've been relying too much on general preparing and luck. I found this podcast and forum out of a desire to learn more.

I also recently watched the TV program Jericho online and that has made me mentally raise the bar on how prepared I want to be. We bought a house with a big yard and I always meant to start gardening again and never did. Jack discussing gardening has made me want to start, but I think I should start small.

The wife is on-board, although she likes to joke about my "militia compound supplies." We both like to live with as little debt as possible and have spent a lot of time building investments and cash reserves in our personal and business life. (We own a small business and I work in the oil business.) As long as I keep my preparing spending sensible, we have no conflict.

This has been such a valuable set of resources for me I just wanted to say thank you to everyone and introduce myself.

I hope I can repay the forum with some contributions in areas where I have some knowledge.

Also, this is weird, but in the past few weeks I have been diagnosed with tinnitus, permanent ringing in the ears. One thing that drowns it out well is the podcast. If everyone suffers with this condition they'll understand what a relief it is to mask the sound for a while.

Finally, please excuse me using a pseudonym on the forum. I'm usually one to be direct and transparent, but here for a while I'd like to be private.

Cheers,
John Lebris (taken from the name of my favorite writer Jean Louis de Lebris "Jack" Kerouac, pictured)

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #562 on: August 01, 2009, 04:30:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum John. We can always use more Texans on the list. Quite a few of us here actually. And by the way, TexDaddy is not my real name either. ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #563 on: August 01, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »
Welcome John Lebris.  You'll fit in just fine here.

Gunslinger57k

« Reply #564 on: August 01, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
 Hey,
  I been listening to the show for awhile just never had a chance to drop by and register for the forum. I enjoy listening to every new episode most of the time while Im on lunch at work or relaxing at home. I'm kinda been into the whole preparedness thing for a while, I have always had and interest in wilderness survival. I am a registered merit badge councilor for the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge. I'm also the Scoutmaster of Troop 187.  I also run a small blog just something to entertain myself and a couple of buddies who check it out occasionally ill include a banner and link below. I have a couple other hobbies and interests too but thats all for now.

http://survivorman57k.blogspot.com/

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2009, 12:02:32 AM »
Welcome johnlebris and Gunslinger!  We welcome your wisdom and camaraderie.

BTW johnlebris, do you know that if AK was cut in half, TX would be the 3rd biggest state? ;D

Offline johnlebris

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Disgruntled Military Veteran (under a fake name)
« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2009, 06:02:55 AM »
BTW johnlebris, do you know that if AK was cut in half, TX would be the 3rd biggest state? ;D
Thanks for the welcome! I've always wanted to visit Alaska. BTW, if you take away the federal lands in both states, we get pretty close as far as "states" go. http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/291-federal-lands-in-the-us/  8)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I've always wanted to visit Alaska. BTW, if you take away the federal lands in both states, we get pretty close as far as "states" go. http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/2008/06/17/291-federal-lands-in-the-us/  8)

Well played! :D

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #568 on: August 02, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »
Thanks John. Kept me from having to do it. btw, Berserker Prime is still a pretty good guy. He has given us a lot of good info here. When he is not showing brag pictures of how many fish he can catch with a net, that is. ;)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #569 on: August 02, 2009, 11:50:55 PM »
It was a proud moment, thanks for cutting me slack! ;D