Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1918808 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 08, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
Welcome to Autumn Wolf & RightGone!

Autumn - you should consider coming to Dirt Time in 2010 in Wyoming.  I'd bet that Jack will probably be making an appearance (though, no promises of course).

Right Gone - I've noticed a LOT of new lurkers.  Glad you decided to make the jump and start posting!  :)

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #631 on: August 08, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
Hello,

I'm a 29 year old male, married with a 14 month old little boy, and number two due in early March.  We live in North Central Illinois in a small, rural subdivision (it is a HOA, and I can make Jack look like a fan of them).  I found the podcast around March of last year - Jack was featured in a newspaper article that ended up everywhere, might have gotten it through Lew Rockwell.  I've owned guns since I got my Mosin as a wedding gift, and have been in charge of our garden for a couple of years, but beyond that, no experience with Prepping or Survivalism.  I'm learning more everyday, and after reading "Lights Out", I hope I never really "need" it.

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #632 on: August 09, 2009, 04:08:12 AM »
Hi all;
  I"m Brian and I live near Portland in Oregon.  I am 39 and have recently (in the last cople of years) started getting into the preparedness scene.  Have a small battery of firearms (could use a couple more), but not nearly enough ammo (ammo is non-existant still unless you get there the day of delivery).  I'm slowly collecting items for my go-bag and have a plan to get out of town into a more rural location in about 4 years (assuming the property values start going back up).  It took a while but the wife is just beyond the rolling her eyes at me stage and is actually getting on board with getting more self-sufficient and being more prepared.  I've even gotten her to start scanning in her photo albums so we can put those on a thumb drive to keep in the go bags.

Greetings from Oregon,
Brian

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #633 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:21 AM »
otowner98 and Pukwudji:

Welcome.  You'll get a ton out of this forum and the podcasts.  Poke around the Around the Campfire section for boards like "What's Your Job" and the regional boards to let people around Illinois and Oregon know you're around.

Then post lots.  I find that I learn lots by posting and no one gets mean with replies (if they do, let a mod know).

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #634 on: August 09, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »
Hi all;
  I"m Brian and I live near Portland in Oregon.  I am 39 and have recently (in the last cople of years) started getting into the preparedness scene.  Have a small battery of firearms (could use a couple more), but not nearly enough ammo (ammo is non-existant still unless you get there the day of delivery).  I'm slowly collecting items for my go-bag and have a plan to get out of town into a more rural location in about 4 years (assuming the property values start going back up).  It took a while but the wife is just beyond the rolling her eyes at me stage and is actually getting on board with getting more self-sufficient and being more prepared.  I've even gotten her to start scanning in her photo albums so we can put those on a thumb drive to keep in the go bags.

Greetings from Oregon,
Brian

Welcome aboard!!!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #635 on: August 09, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
Welcome everyone.
Great to see all the new faces.
Well...
I can't actually see your faces... But you get it.

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #636 on: August 09, 2009, 07:27:08 PM »
Hey all!  I saw this thread and thought I would introduce myself.  I have been listening to the podcast since january.  I grew up in the country where we hunted, fished, had gardens, and even raised animals.  We lived next to a woods so I spent most of my summers playing in the woods.  When I was 17 I enlisted in the marines and spent the next few years in the infantry.  After deciding to get back to civilian life, I moved to the city and got my degree in mechanical and architectural design. I am currently an electrical designer but I have experience with HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, and process design.  I plan on getting more experience designing solar systems.  Being that I am living in a city with my wife (total city girl, lol) it has been hard to incorporate alot of the preparations.  Some of my other interests including flying (single engine planes currently) running, biking, and martial arts. 

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #637 on: August 09, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone who gave us a warm welcome and for your kind words about berkey's.  The last 4 years of selling the berkey systems have been incredible years of helping others, and we really enjoy it.

theberkeyguy

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #638 on: August 10, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »
Welcome, Klonus!  Make yerself at home.  :)

Offline Northplow

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #639 on: August 10, 2009, 03:16:51 AM »
Thanx to all of you.
LGM30. I'm currently working on the Sikorsky s76 c+. Nice little aircraft. But i'm also certefied on the Boeing 737, Beech 200/b200 and the Dolphin.

The prepping communitys in scandinavia is steadely growing. The last 30 years peoples in scandinavia has been relying more and more on the goverment and all different types of wellfare programs. The result is that allmost all of the population under 40 dont know how to take care of them self. I guess there are not a big different between scandinavia and US on that issue. Righ now we are experiencing a decline of tax incom i the system. This results in redused capacity and quality on health care, schools and all the other traditional govermental run institutions.
But, as I said, prepping is growing. The movement is still "young" in it's mind, so there is an wide spread focus on what survivalist and prepping really is. Sombody focus on wilderness survival, other on peak oil and PAW. I guess the most off us, even inside the prepping/survivalist cummunity, is so "spoild" by having all sorts of benefits that it is hard to see outside the box, to see that it is possible that the goverment wont or can't take care of the people during and after a crisis.

Another differenceis that in scandinavia we have stricter rules concerning carrying weapon, so the focus on firearms is not at all a hot topic. We concentrate more on self sufficiency and building a system (personal / local and national) with more redundance towords crises of different kinds.

The bad side of the development in  society is a growing govermental control of everything you do or think. It is just the same trend as all over the world right now.

My personal goal is to be so self sufficient and prepped in all way that im capable to support my family with food, shelter and safety if the world changes to the worse. That does mean that i'm not planniing to be totaly self sufficien at the moment, but I will have the possibilityes i"if times get tough".
I live on a farm with 97 hectar (400 acres i think) so i have plenty of space to grow and live.
I'm learning to farm with horses, learning to preserve food, growing food, building wooden structures, forestrywork, blacksmithing and so on. I'm working my butt of to pay the morgage on the farm, we have all paid for cars and no other financial obligations then the farm (who actually pays for it self by selling timber, but somone must cut the timber, and thats me...)
I have always been a prepper, but its just the resent years I have had the possibility to actually live it out in the full.

Well, the conclution must be that 75% of the people is sheep. To bad isn't it?

Best regards to you all.
From Sweden and Norway: Nothplow.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #640 on: August 10, 2009, 07:22:40 AM »
Great to hear about your situation in Sweden and Norway, Northplow... I visited Gothenberg about 10 years ago (when I worked for a Volvo Truck subsidiary) and had the chance to make a short trip to a friend's cottage away from the city (I suppose you would say it was in the fjords?). What a beautiful country... and how wonderful to have 400 acres for your family!

Thanks for sharing... hope to hear more from you and how things are progressing in your country.

Dr Falken

« Reply #641 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »
Good Day to all.  I thought I'd introduce myself, I'm a 40 year old male, transplant from Northern Illinois to God's Country, Southern Indiana!  I've a LTCH, just took a Defensive Pistol class last week, been shooting some USPSA.  Me and the wife have 6 acres outside of town on a southern exposure.  Heard about the Jack's pod cast off of Indiana Gun Owners Forum, were I spend way too much time.  I've started doing some preps and hope to continue...we're better off them some but have a way to go, so I look forward to what I can learn and contribute to this forum!

Offline Menhir

• Prepper
« Reply #642 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome

Morning Sunshine, je vois qu’on peut parler un peu français ici, merci, c’est fantastique..

BerserkerPrime, sorry for your wallet, thank you for your warm welcome, congratulation for having survived the strikes and the CDG airport..

As far as my family prep after the last civil unrest in the Saint-Denis district, it gave me a good excuse to my wife to buy another gun!! ;D a short barrel IJ43 BAÏKAL shotgun, which I consider as one of the best home defense gun in a liberal anti-gun urban area like ours..this may be debated though with my fellow international TSP listeners in a next topic I would like to post soon...OK? Besides that, my wife and my kids took me more seriously when I was talking about home invasion plan, avoidance or awareness at school and in the everyday life, they also stopped calling me a paranoic..

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #643 on: August 10, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
I just recently discovered this thread and Jack with his podcasts. I am a 32 year old single mom worried about the future of our country for the sake of my son. I was recently introduced to the concept of "survival" and being self sufficient. I would like to learn what I can about planning this, and how it can be done with a single mom's income with no experience with guns, hunting, or raising animals, and some of the ideas with alternate forms of energy and homesteading, although gardening is something I am an old hat at. I just started listening to Jack today and have already decided I like him. Thanks for talking with us Jack.

Offline eno

• Prepper
« Reply #644 on: August 10, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »
Hi! I've been listening to the podcast for about 3 months now, and finally decided to join the forum. I'm a 44 yo single mom as well. I live in North Carolina, in a condo. Now that my kid is in college, I can start hunting for a homestead without worrying about schools.

I grew up in the country with parents who were prepared for the little things - short power outages, hurricanes, and such - and could handle most situations. I started prepping seriously over the past year, primarily because of the economic uncertainties. I started reading some different things about personal finance, which led to the Mises Institute ideas about economics, and from there to the modern preppers' space. I really like Jack's practical advice; a couple of years ago, the only "preppers" I knew of were either tinfoil hats or criminals :).

I have many of the usual goals for self-sufficiency, and several of the basics are checked off, but the next steps - gardening, solar energy, etc. -  really depend on having a homestead. When I lived on some land, I always had a garden, but that's been years ago now. Time to get back to it!

I look forward to learning more from yall!
Terri

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #645 on: August 10, 2009, 04:50:51 PM »
WELCOME TO EVERYONE!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #646 on: August 10, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »
Welcome ENO. Good to have another north carolinian in the house.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #647 on: August 10, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
Thanks for the update Northplow.  Sounds like you're in the same shape we are over here.
Keep fighting the good fight!

Offline Kiko ninau

• Prepper
« Reply #648 on: August 10, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
Hello. Just another intro post... I've been a long-time lurker on this and similar forums. I began listening to this podcast during its first week when it was brought to my attention on either ETS or Zombie Squad. (Don't hold the ZS thing against me!  ;D) I found Spirko's message and common sense approach a breath of fresh air - the podcast started at a time when I was increasingly uncomfortable with some parts of the survival world, at least the online portion of it. Like I said, I'm a long-time lurker. I don't expect that I have much to contribute, but want to have a login in case there's something I can contribute to. With the way some things are going in this world, I certainly can't go wrong by opening some lines of communication with other folks.

Himarker

« Reply #649 on: August 10, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »
Just started lurking on the forums after I recently began listening to the podcast.  I am a 32 year old LEO in Alaska.  Started learning and doing a lot of prepping since I became aware of how bad the economy actually was last year.  Glad to be on the forums and happy to answer any questions people have about Alaska, not sure if there are many Alaska folks on the forum.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #650 on: August 10, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
Wow!  Lots of new folks checking in, that's great. ;D

Welcome to everyone & it's good to see others waking up & signing on to self-preparedness.  I'm proud of you all & look forward to hearing your various experiences.  It's good to have you all on board.

Offline Greenthumbelina

• Prepper
  • Peace, Love, & Home Protection
« Reply #651 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:47 AM »
Well, what can I say. This site beats the crap out of Myspace.

I was fortunate enough to be raised to some extent as a 'prepper', my parents being sort of back-to-the-land folks. We were also very poor so learned to make do with what was available.

I am looking forward to meeting many of the like minded people I am guessing are a part of this forum. I don't know what 'region' I am in, but I hope there is a get together here soon.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #652 on: August 11, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
Just started lurking on the forums after I recently began listening to the podcast.  I am a 32 year old LEO in Alaska.  Started learning and doing a lot of prepping since I became aware of how bad the economy actually was last year.  Glad to be on the forums and happy to answer any questions people have about Alaska, not sure if there are many Alaska folks on the forum.

Welcome Himarker!  We are out numbered, but never out classed :D!  Check out region 8 (I think).  We look forward to your inputs.  Check out Heavy G's 'Best Of' thread if you get a chance.  

Berserker Prime

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #653 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »
Off topic a bit but what's the link to Heavy G's "Best Of"? I haven't had any luck finding the thread.  ???

Offline N5DWI

• Fledgling Prepper
    • QRQ Central
« Reply #654 on: August 11, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
You wanna know about ME?

Well, I'm 67 y.o. and have been a survivalist since my mid twenties.  I've never NEEDED any of this stuff, and, actuarially speaking, likely never will.  But who knows?  The way things are going, it may very soon be VERY needed.

The Old Mother Earth News in the Sixties is what got me started. They used to be very good, but although the quality has slipped off a lot, they're still useful in some areas

I've got my Bug Out Location pretty well set up.  It's virtually inaccessible to anyone who doesn't know it's there.  I think (hope) it's not even too obvious from the air.

After 40 years of this stuff, I thought I knew it all.  Then I stumbled across the Survival Podcast and discovered that there were still large gaps in my knowledge, training and thinking.  I realize that I have a lot left to learn.  In fact, the more I learn, the more I realize just how deficient I am.

Many thanks, Jack, for getting this whole thing off the ground.

John, N5DWI (good on QRZ.COM)

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #655 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »
Off topic a bit but what's the link to Heavy G's "Best Of"? I haven't had any luck finding the thread.  ???

Right here:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #656 on: August 11, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »

Glad to be on the forums and happy to answer any questions people have about Alaska, not sure if there are many Alaska folks on the forum.

We have several Alaskans.  Berserker Prime is one. 

Check out the regional boards; Alaska is in Region Eight I want to say. 

And to everyone else: welcome big time.  It's so cool to have you here. 

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #657 on: August 11, 2009, 11:03:19 PM »
Wow, lots of new folks checking in. Greetings everyone.

Greetings from Oregon,
Brian

Glad to see another Oregonian on here. Welcome from down here in Eugene.

Offline ZUPIII

• Prepper
« Reply #658 on: August 12, 2009, 08:15:46 AM »
Hi, my name is Joe and I'm from NW Missouri. Started listening to TSP in June of this year because I happened to find myself driving a 50+ mile commute everyday (Shawnee, KS to St. Joe) and I needed something new on my iPod. WOW. Great show, so perfect for where I'm at in my life right now. We just bought our first house, and after living in apartments & rentals for the last 15 years, the freedom and peace of mind is amazing. I have made some impressive little gardens on patio decks at our last few places of residence, and now I have some real dirt of my own! Can't wait to get the house painted so I can concentrate on the making the yard productive.

I've got a couple of firearms, but have put off getting my Conceal Carry until I establish residence in Missouri because I just couldn't afford to pay for it twice. I love fishing and bird hunting but I may go for deer rifle season this year because I would like to get some experience field dressing etc.

Professionally, I work with dogs and cats so if you need any training advice I'm always willing to help. I have mostly worked with rehabbing troubled dogs/cats and more recently puppies and basic obedience.

Joe Z

Offline carpus

• Prepper
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #659 on: August 12, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm Tim from Central Illinois. Just recently started listening to TSP. I went to a small town highschool, enlisted in the Marine Corps, and started working in Corrections after that. I've been frequenting "survival" boards since '01. Hope to learn something soon (I'm sure that wont be a problem)