Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1915015 times)

eric89

Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #690 on: August 16, 2009, 02:01:46 AM »
Hi,

My name is eric.  I am currently attending college in Texas, just getting my feet wet into survivalism/prepping.  Ancestors were western North Carolina mountaineers who helped found Western Carolina in Cullowhee, so learning about how they lived off the land has been my revival over the past 6 or so months.  Hopefully once I get out of school I'll be able to dive much deeper.

Hope to learn information from this board, but right now is off to listen to Jack's podcast about young survivalists. Cheers!

-Eric

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
« Reply #691 on: August 16, 2009, 09:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the welcome SW! It looks like I joined a bit too late to find out about DT09, I guess I'll have to wait for another time to meet my newly found TSP brethren!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #692 on: August 16, 2009, 10:44:18 AM »
Hi,

My name is eric.  I am currently attending college in Texas, just getting my feet wet into survivalism/prepping.  Ancestors were western North Carolina mountaineers who helped found Western Carolina in Cullowhee, so learning about how they lived off the land has been my revival over the past 6 or so months.  Hopefully once I get out of school I'll be able to dive much deeper.

Hope to learn information from this board, but right now is off to listen to Jack's podcast about young survivalists. Cheers!

-Eric

Welcome Eric.

I went to Western from 1983-88. Great place back then.

Wicked Libertarian

« Reply #693 on: August 16, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob and I'm living in East Central Indiana. I'd consider myself more of a homesteader than a survivalist even though the two have huge overlapping likenesses.

I've been a hobby gardener for a few years but now I'm more into what I call "production gardening", trying to up the percentage of food that I provide for my family. My garden is only 25X50 right now (funny; my coworkers and friends don't understand why anyone would need a garden that big...lol), I'll soon be adding countless raised beds, fruit trees, grapes, berries, chickens, and an aquaponics system to our one acre lot. We have 4 beehives, a pear tree, a cherry tree (that needs a pollinating cohort), 6 varieties of hops, and a huge black walnut tree.

As you can tell from my screen name I'm a libertarian. I'm not a card carrying member and probably never will be considering the party's abandonment of it's core philosophies. Watching Bob Barr's shenanigans during the campaign was embarrassing! 

I hope to acquire some friends here both online and geographically. Support is always a huge help!!
Thanks everyone, especially you Jack!

Rob aka Wicked Libertarian

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #694 on: August 16, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
Welcome everyone!

There are so many of you guys and gals joining (YEAH!) that we can't say welcome to each of you.

But we think it every single time we read a new intro posting.

You'll love it here.  No hassles, no crazies, no crap.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #695 on: August 16, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
no crazies

??? What? I resemble that remark, thank you very much  ;D

Welcome Wicked Libertarian , Montanabound , and Eric.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #696 on: August 16, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcome SW! It looks like I joined a bit too late to find out about DT09, I guess I'll have to wait for another time to meet my newly found TSP brethren!

DT10 will be in wyoming (just a quick jaunt east and a little north for you!), and we'll be going to that one too.  Check it out when we update the DT website (check it RIGHT AFTER the end of August) to get yourself a spot.  ;D !

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
« Reply #697 on: August 16, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
I'll for sure check out DT10, thanks for the info, and thanks everyone again for the welcome.

WVSanta

« Reply #698 on: August 18, 2009, 04:27:10 AM »
Hello from the mountains of West Virginia
Been living a life always trying to stock up on things for winter because my work always slowed. I have never had time for the computer until recently. I was told about this by a friend so here I am. I am a licensed Ham Radio operator and you will probably find me in that section the most. I do believe we can help the world be a better place by helping to teach people to be better prepared. I have been a heavy equipment operator most of my life but also spent many years doing aerial and underground construction for the cable TV and telephone systems.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #699 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »
Welcome to all the newbies from another newbie!

Offline rmarrs

• Prepper
« Reply #700 on: August 18, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
Hello,

I'm Ryan, I live in SE Michigan and work in Detroit.  I try to learn a new skill, or do something out of the ordinary every day.  I started listening to the show a couple weeks ago, and am almost caught up with the shows (I think I have 10 left).  My drive to and from work allows me the opportunity to listen, along with my job. 

I like to be self-sufficient, but I'm not a prepper.  I just paid off my smallest credit card in an attempt to get past consumer debt using the snowball method.  I enjoy survivalist shows, including The Colony (even if they act like morons).

I have a BOL, which is a about 100 acres, family owned, and very primitive.  I just recently purchased a camper for the property, and have been spending lots of time engineering things for the property, including a lean-to shelter for the wood, a septic system, a hand-pump well, a battery bank for power, etc.  I will eventually purchase land into the collective, but right now I'm focused on debt relief. 

I've got my first child on the way and we're due February 25th.  I imagine this is going to put a damper on all my fantastic plans, but we're very excited and eager to raise a family.  Down the road, when I can afford to move, I plan to raise chickens and possibly goats, but where I live now, it wouldn't be possible. 

I've posted my home-brew septic system in the project how-to forum, so feel free to check it out, make suggestions (it's already buried, so don't be offended if I don't modify it right now... :)

Magnm38

« Reply #701 on: August 18, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
Hi how's it going everyone? I like the idea of a call sign, so I'll go with that for now. It's Magnm38. I'm actually not new the the forum here. Got on a few months ago, but kind of fell off the board for a little bit.

I originally made a post showing my BOB at the time. Though most of the stuff shown there is still with me, I have diversified the bag I use now, and sort of split it into 2. Now I have an external frame pack that can hold up to 4900 cu cm, or so. It holds most of the stuff show there pretty good, but there's not much room for anything else. Trying to cut things down a bit and leave some things out so I can fit more in there, like warm clothes and what not. Also, after rethinking the system, I think what that big frame pack may end up being used for is a big bag to throw everything into a car or something like that, and not necessarily something to lug through the backwoods getting the heck out of dodge. It is pretty heavy, and I like the idea of traveling light, so I can bolt if need be. So now I have a nice military-like backpack and a matching messenger bag to go with it. That will likely be what I use now. Then I can pick and choose what I take from the big bag. I'll likely post pictures of the stuff later. Anyway, for anyone who wants to know, that's the system as it stands now.

Well I just wanted to make a post on here to properly introduce myself, since I don't think I did before. I plan on being a regular on the forum here as much as I can from now on. I happened to find Jack's podcast by just doing a search on itunes one day. I've really gotten into this whole idea of survivalism and how it applies to every aspect of your life. I originally was interested in just outdoor and wilderness survival mentalities, but with the help of Jack and others, I have realized that there is so much more to true survivalism than just in the great outdoors. So now I have decided to live my life with this stuff in mind. I have to say, so far, there are no draw backs, some buddies and I have a ball with it, and I just truly love it!! Since I'm out of school now, I plan to make some long-term investments in some land, a truck, most likely a camper or sorts, as well as all kinds of preps that everyone here talks about. Being out of school, I have to worry about paying off my student debt soon, so that will be my main focus for getting out of debt. But still would like to make these investments sooner than later if possible. For now though, it's the bags, tools, stocking up on storable foods, water, and the constant vigilance on what's happening in the world. This is the status quo for now.

I'd love to make connections with like-minded people on here to learn new ideas, contribute some of my own, and even establish a network of friends in the survival and prep world. I have a couple friends now that are minded in this stuff, or at least some parts of it. But more is better. Anyway, thanks again for everything you do, Jack, you're a true leader in this old, but also very new way of thinking, and you're definitely making more leaders in your stead.

Magnm38

Hye

« Reply #702 on: August 18, 2009, 08:17:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been listening to Jack for close to six months now and although I have not joined the forum (until now), I have been taking heed to the survival philosophies he espouses.  Some things I have done are:

- Building a square foot garden
- composting
- built a pantry and stored several months of food for my family
- stocked up on my ammo
- paid off the remainder of my mortgage

...some future plans are:

- purchasing a pressure pot for canning
- bow hunting

...One thing I'm thinking about trying, but I'm not so sure I have the stomach for:  Eating squirrel!

...long term plans

- Solar panels on the house
- building/buying and maintaining a chicken coop.

Wish me luck!

zombie_hunter

« Reply #703 on: August 18, 2009, 09:00:17 PM »
greeting fellow podcast listeners!

my name is dan and i live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.  preparedness is a must in the concrete jungle and i'm taking steps to become more prepared.  the podcast has challenged me quite a bit and i recently started a small garden on my patio.  i'm also working on storing up food and water as well as being a more education in case times get tough or even if they don't :) 

Offline red-rider

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #704 on: August 19, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »
Hello everyone!

Just saying Hi!

I have been interested in survival stuff since I saw how unprepared the folk down in LA were for Katrina.  I am enjoying catching up on the podcasts, and really like the permaculture stuff more than I expected too.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #705 on: August 19, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
Welcome red-rider, hye, and zombie hunter, magnm38,  and rmarrs. Sit back, learn, and help us learn when you can.

Offline KC8SON

• Prepper
« Reply #706 on: August 19, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

Guess I should throw out an intro since I'm presenting at the Region 6 get together.

Originally from MN, travelled to Chicago, IL; Charlotte, NC and then Columbus, OH before coming back home.  Used to be interested in prepping back in the late 70's and early 80's.  Got married and had my focus changed.  Got divorced a couple years ago and changed my focus back. 

Some of the skills I've developed over the last couple of years include:
Ham radio - I have my General License.
Medical - I teach for the Red Cross (CPR, First Aid and Wilderness First Aid) and got my EMT Dec 07 and my WEMT Mar 09.
Wilderness - got my Search and Rescue Tech from NASAR and apprentice instructor.
CERT instructor  (Community Emeregency Response Team)

Skills I'm working on:
Hunting - both archery and firearm.
Fishing - I think this is one that I'm ALWAYS gonna be working on.
Gardening - challenged by my current lack of space.
IDPA - always wanted to do this and finally getting to the point of being able to pull it off.

Guess that's about it.  Looking forward to meeting people in Iowa next month.

de KC8SON

Offline edppcli

• Prepper
  • Life, Liberty, Personal Property
« Reply #707 on: August 19, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »
Hi All
Just wanted to introduce myself, been around at a few of the other boards (same username) but stumbled across Jacks podcasts and thought I would like to check out the forums. For those that don't know me I'm a Canuck, ex Army on the prep path since pre Y2K presently working on my doomstead while keeping one foot in the 9-5 world.
Cheers
Ed

bski213

« Reply #708 on: August 19, 2009, 06:09:18 PM »
Hello,

I am Brian, found the show interesting, so I decided to start participating in the forum. 

Offline mecha_buddha

• Prepper
« Reply #709 on: August 19, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Hey everyone.  The podcast was recommended to me an I have been listing to it for a little while.  I'm in Canada, and really interested in Permaculture (less of the hippy aspect more of the useful aspect). the goal is to get a little tract of land and start tinkering.

Offline danguyer81

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #710 on: August 19, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
Hello All,

My name is Dan. I am a happily married hard-working 28 year old. I live in North Idaho About an hour south of Coeur D' Alene and an hour west of Montana. I have been listening to the podcast for about six months now. I am a full-time student and a full-time employee so I have not really taken the time to get to know you all in the past. Jack keeps talking about this forum so much I figured it was time to join the family. I am not over-familiar with forum type discussions but I figured this is a good place to start. I am a former infantryman but I have since let a lot of those skills become rusty. I am fascinated by independent thinking and independent living. This community combines those two things in a meaningful way. I planted my first garden in late spring and it is a small disaster but I already learned a lot. Before I used to think gardening was for retirees...Jack has turned my viewpoint on that 180 degrees.

My dream is a paid for house on paid for land that COULD be completely self-sustainable but WILL NOT be out of choice (I still like watching football and buying beer at the store).

Thanks for having me

P.S. Anyone else had a chance to watch "Special Ops Mission" on the Military Channel? If not...check it out...great show.

Justinicus

« Reply #711 on: August 20, 2009, 05:07:35 AM »
Howdy folks! I've been listening to TSP for a couple months now, and finally got around to joining up.  My name is Justin, and I live in the DC suburbs, so it's a challenging transition to make when your yard receives no direct sun, property values are psychotic, etc.  I figured this was the place to come for more information and inspiration!

-Justin

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #712 on: August 20, 2009, 05:48:06 AM »
Welcome KC8SON, edppcli, bski213, mecha_buddha, danguyer81, and Justinicus.

You have such different backgrounds and situations but one thing in common: living a better life, if times get tough or even if they don't.

I'm not a forum kind of guy.  This is the only forum I really am active on.  Most forums seems a little weird to me and seem to exist for the enjoyment of a few people on them.

Not this one.  We love hearing from everyone because the main goal of is to share information.  There is nothing you can't learn here.  I have learned so much.   

The more you post, the more you learn.  Trust me.

983tzero

« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Trevor and my family and I are starting out preppers. Started listening to Jack on his second day of broadcasting. I was in the US ARMY 3RD ID, I served one tour in iraq, I speak several foriegn langauges, always looking for new friends so please contact me! Thanks and God Bless

duradster

« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2009, 12:40:57 PM »
Hello,

My name is Rich.  I am from the four corners in Colorado.  Been listening to and enjoying the show for about 9 months.  Because of the TSP, this is our first year to have a garden and I'm eating home grown tomatoes, cucumbers and jalapeƱos on my salad today.

Thanks,
Rich

Offline Texasbound

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »
Hello,

My name is Rich.  I am from the four corners in Colorado.  Been listening to and enjoying the show for about 9 months.  Because of the TSP, this is our first year to have a garden and I'm eating home grown tomatoes, cucumbers and jalapeƱos on my salad today.

Thanks,
Rich

Welcome Rich,

I'm on the NM side, but same area.  PM me and we can get together sometime.

duradster

« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Trevor and my family and I are starting out preppers. Started listening to Jack on his second day of broadcasting. I was in the US ARMY 3RD ID, I served one tour in iraq, I speak several foriegn langauges, always looking for new friends so please contact me! Thanks and God Bless

Hey Trevor,

Thanks for your service.  I truly appreciate it!  We had a vacation in Venice FL in early summer right down the road from you.  Beautiful area. Spent a lot of time driving back and forth from Busch Gardens and going to North Jetty beach.  Talked the wife into going to the original Hooters too.

Well, I guess we are the newbies here.  :)

cya,
Rich

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
Welcome 983tzero, duradster, et al!

Talked the wife into going to the original Hooters too.

Awesome! Should be a cinch getting her to go along with prepping; maybe you can give the rest of us some pointers!  ;)

duradster

« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2009, 06:58:26 PM »
Welcome 983tzero, duradster, et al!

Awesome! Should be a cinch getting her to go along with prepping; maybe you can give the rest of us some pointers!  ;)

Well,  getcha two teen boys,  it's amazing the number of "arguments for" going to Hooters that they can come up with.  :P

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #719 on: August 21, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
Well,  getcha two teen boys,  it's amazing the number of "arguments for" going to Hooters that they can come up with.  :P

Well, I've got all girls, so I'm SOL on that one  :(