Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1916548 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
Hi Coyote Spirit!   :-*  Miss you!  :)

Offline John McCann

• Prepper
  • A knifeless man is a lifeless man.
    • Survival Resources
« Reply #781 on: September 01, 2009, 08:46:44 AM »
The Wise Wizard is being too kind.  I'm just a countryboy trying to do good.  But... The Wise Wizard and Sister Wolf (AKA: Beer Babe) are the best.  They have become friends of the heart in a very short time.  We will miss them.

Coyote Spirit

Offline dion

• Fledgling Prepper
  • proud to be Pole
« Reply #782 on: September 01, 2009, 09:57:41 AM »
hi,

i came from Poland, Central - East Europe. i'm nearly 30 years old student living in capital city - Warsaw, interested in global issues like peak oil, financial crisis, overpopulation, global warming, deforestation etc which implicate my interest in financial self-defence and survivalism. been listening to the TSP for about 1 month.

dion

ps. sorry for my English, it's not my native language  ;)

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #783 on: September 01, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »
Welcome Dion. I think your English is just fine. Glad to have you join us.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #784 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

i came from Poland

Thank you for Solidarnosc.  The Poles greatly helped bring down communism in the 1980s.  Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. 

Offline TexPrep

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #785 on: September 01, 2009, 01:59:22 PM »
Been listening for about 8 months now, finally decided to join another forum.  Howdy from H-town.  8)

sarahluker

« Reply #786 on: September 01, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
Welcome from another houstonian! 

IdahoJohn

« Reply #787 on: September 01, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
Hopefully I'm doing this thing right.  I'm not much for forums, but I figure this one is well worth my time.  I'm a student at Idaho State.  Hopefully I'll be heading up to Moscow Idaho in a year for grad school.  My wife and I have been prepping now for about two years as much as a couple students can.  I've been listening to the show for about month.  I look forward to getting to know everyone on here.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #788 on: September 01, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Welcome Idaho John!  You're right - this forum is WELL worth your time.  :)  Tell your wife to join the forum as well - we don't bite too hard, and we need all the ladies we can get!  :)

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #789 on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »
Welcome Dion! I'm sure you will do well; it is in our Polish makeup to overcome. My grandparents came over and started a dairy farm in 1929 (the year of the crash and following depression).

We look forward to what you have to say.

Offline ExpatBen

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Modern Self Protection
« Reply #790 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here.  I've been listening to The Survival Pod Cast for about 3 weeks and really enjoy it.  I love the idea of being prepared and self sufficient, during good or bad times.  When I lived in California I had a couple days worth of food and water and a simple plan to leave the city with ammo and guns.

Now I live in Texas and would like to have a better plan, and the threat of storms is more real.  In LA it was just riots, and it would be over in a day at most.  Here it could be weeks without any help.  I don't mind, and enjoy the challenge. 

I'm really looking forward to learning more and starting some water reclaiming stuff and small gardens right here in the middle of Shertz/Cibolo urban area.

Later,

Offline Flyerman

• Prepper
« Reply #791 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
hello fellow preparers/hunters/gatherers

very new to the whole 'awakened' lifestyle. been educating myself on all the different areas of preparing, or as many as i can, with a 2 yr old and 6 week old, thank God i have a great wife! anyway, we live in Central Texas, so anyone who knows of a survival group that meets out here, please let me know, as i can sure use some help and advice on all my questions. if you belong to one, i could be persuaded to give you some excellent homebrew in trade!

i have my first question in the primitive skills section,anyone who knows the answer, please help. ty

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #792 on: September 01, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »
Howdy guys and gals...

I'm Aaron (aka Gray Ghost). I am a business owner in Houston, TX. 34, live with girlfriend, no kids... that I am aware of. I'm a CHL holder with a fair amount of firearms experience whether it's handguns, shotguns, or rifles. All tactical unfortunately. Trying to find ways to balance that with hunting knowledge. I am about 6 months into learning about preparedness. It all started with a random book from my favor author and a CERT course. For the last 6 months or so I have been working through a long list of acquiring knowledge and skills on an almost daily basis. It has been a fun journey that has really opened my eyes to a lot of things I used to take for granted and never stopped to really think about.

A friend I met through another forum on this topic introduced me to The Survival Podcast. I have been listening to the PodCast for about two weeks now trying to play catchup. So far I really like it and feel that it has given me a more productive direction in my preparedness.

Jack, thanks for taking the time out of your life to pull together not only the great Podcasts, but also this site and forum. I know how much work it can all be.

compconsultant

« Reply #793 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:48 PM »
Hello, I've been listening for about the last month.  I started at the beginning.  I am at episode 56.  I'm from Minnesota.  I'm married with two children a boy 4 and a girl 6.  We home school.  I've become a hardcore libertarian, not like Jack's fake libertarianism  ;D.   

I'm a banker by trade.  It's time to get prepared. 

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #794 on: September 01, 2009, 10:32:21 PM »
Great to "see" all you new folks!  Can't wait to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Welcome!

BP

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #795 on: September 01, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
LOTS of newbies today!  WELCOME to all of you!!!!!  :)

RexFelix

« Reply #796 on: September 02, 2009, 12:35:52 AM »
Greetings All, Im a veteran of DS / DS and a firm believer in preparing for whats coming. Finally at a point where I can do it and want to do it right. So investing BOL and resource stocking and Off the Grid power options. So any pointing in the general direction will be greatly appreciated :)

Offline dion

• Fledgling Prepper
  • proud to be Pole
« Reply #797 on: September 02, 2009, 06:08:50 AM »
Thank you for Solidarnosc.  The Poles greatly helped bring down communism in the 1980s.  Thank you.
Welcome to the forum. 
i'm too young to be a recipient of these words but it's nice to see that Americans are interested in this subject. You have to know that it wasn't first time when the Poles fight with commies. if You're focused on this case please read an article at Wikipedia called Polish–Soviet War 1920. You can also look to the history of polish-russian conflicts at Wikipedia. btw. did You know that
Quote from: Wikipedia
last known anticommunism partisan was killed in an ambush as late as 1963, almost 20 years after the Soviet take-over of Poland.
these people are called "Cursed soldiers" and probably no one heard nothing about them outside my country. many Poles doesnt heard nothing about them.

but the most important thing in this moment is the point of beging of WWII. i know that for the American people this war begins on 12/7/1941 but, from the global point of view, it was initiated by German Nazist aggresion on Poland. They launched the War on 09/01/1939 and, a few days later, on 09/17/1939 Soviet Union stabs the Poles in the back by invaded us from other side. Poles celebrate 70th anniversary of these events now.

sorry for this monologue but here, in Poland, we heard sometimes about the articles in american magazines with sentences like "polish concentration camps". please, read the informations from the hyperlinks above and think who was a victim and who was a slaughter.

ps. worth to know that we've an event called "Warsaw Uprising" - a scream for freedom on August-September 1944. between 150,000 and 200,000 civilians was killed by Nazists (about 16,000 Polish insurgents was killed) and Soviet Army standed across the Vistula River and do - nothing. my city was destroyed in 80% and new buildings stand on dead bodies - literally.

Quote from: dudekrtr
Welcome Dion! I'm sure you will do well; it is in our Polish makeup to over come. My grandparents came over and started a dairy farm in 1929 (the year of the crash and following depression).
We look forward to what you have to say.
ok - one question - could You explain me sentence "Polish makeup to over come"? i think that it's some kind of pharasal verb that i don't know.

my grandfather comes to PL from USA as a child so he's got american citizenship. unfortunately, my family fail and i don't inherit citizenship (we've a 'law of blood' not a 'law of soil' so it was possible). but i feel 25% American ;)

i don't know what You're looking for, i think it's a lot of differences between Your style of life and my style of life so my advices will not work in US (for example - did You heard about pickled cabbage? You've polish ancestors so You can heard but i think that many other users of this forum will say 'bleh, how can You eat that') . also, i'm not a highly skilled man. my style of life is correlate to TSP style. live frugal (not cheap), no debt, have some food for unexpected cases, stay prepare. i live in the center of the biggest city in this country so i don't have many possibilites (like garage to store food). ups, i forget that the biggest polish city is Chicago ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #798 on: September 02, 2009, 09:51:19 AM »
i'm too young to be a recipient of these words but it's nice to see that Americans are interested in this subject.

You're a pole, right?  I'm guessing that the thank you was more to your country (with you as our ambassador) than anything else.  And I echo it.  Thank you.

And yes, we Americans are interested in any country that is doing or has done good things.  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #799 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:42 AM »
Greetings All, Im a veteran of DS / DS and a firm believer in preparing for whats coming. Finally at a point where I can do it and want to do it right. So investing BOL and resource stocking and Off the Grid power options. So any pointing in the general direction will be greatly appreciated :)

Welcome RexFelix!!!!  Is "DS / DS" Desert Storms one and two?  Are you Army, Marine, Navy, Airforce or Alphabet?

In any case, thank you VERY much for your service.  *big hug*  WilderWolf (my hubby and I) have a hell of a lot of respect for those who put their lives in harm's way for us.  If you ever make it to our neck of the woods, the drinks are on us.

Hunter5117

« Reply #800 on: September 02, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Figured I'd do the intro thing. Wife and I are confirmed preppers for about 5-6 years. Been bug-inners until this past spring when we purchased a 32 acre heavily wooded property (aka BOL)  about 2 hours from where we live (mid-West metropolitan area) and have been planning our eventual retirement to that location. We are into home-cookiing and baking from scratch, hunting and shooting (not so much the wife although she can shoot and handle a gun well enough to defend herself), camping, fishing and most other outdoor activities. Now that we have the room we will be starting a garden next year at the BOL. I already hang out at a couple of the other survival forums and am looking forward to taking part in this one as well.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #801 on: September 02, 2009, 10:43:12 AM »
Welcome, Hunter!  Here at Sietch WilderWolf, we do scratch baking too.  Lots of fresh bread here (and we have the bellies to prove it!) :D

Offline Laiph

• Prepper
« Reply #802 on: September 02, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »
Hi - I've been listening to TSP for about 6 months.  I'm a mom, wife & general surgeon.  We relocated to north Louisiana from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  I've always been prepared for storms but wanted to take my preps up a notch & found Jack's podcast on iTunes.  My husband is somewhat skeptical about my new "hobby" but coming around a little as he's watched our debt getting eliminated (lol).  My dad (retired military, fisherman, hunter) couldn't be happier that I'm finally interested in learning to shoot.  Really looking forward to getting involved with the forums.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #803 on: September 02, 2009, 09:46:48 PM »
WELCOME TO THE FORUM LAIPH! Come post on the Louisiana thread in region 5!

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #804 on: September 03, 2009, 06:37:53 AM »
Laiph:

Welcome.  We have several medical professionals on the forum.  We really count on you guys (which means men and women here on the West Coast) to help us with information on medical things.  Of course, we like your thoughts on all topics.  But most of us know tons about gardening, guns, etc.--but medical is a big hole in our knowledge bases.

It's a two-way street.  You'll learn a ton from us.  We're a fun bunch of non-wackos so learning here is easy.  I've learned so much here without even trying.  Great knowledge just soaks into you from this forum.

wyrdone

« Reply #805 on: September 03, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
Hello all,  Im a prepper here in VA, caught the TSP online one day and really found it a great tool thus far. Jack has ignited alot of ideas off iin head and has me wanting to try some new things to help make my situation at home better for myself and my family. After listening to the podcast for acouple of months I decided to check out the forum. Im looking forward to learning from you all. I will bring to the table whatever I can when I feel like Ive got a good grasp of the material here on the forum.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Wyrdrone!  WELCOME!  Glad you could join us!  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:24:30 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #807 on: September 03, 2009, 12:21:32 PM »
Hi - I've been listening to TSP for about 6 months.  I'm a mom, wife & general surgeon.  We relocated to north Louisiana from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  I've always been prepared for storms but wanted to take my preps up a notch & found Jack's podcast on iTunes.  My husband is somewhat skeptical about my new "hobby" but coming around a little as he's watched our debt getting eliminated (lol).  My dad (retired military, fisherman, hunter) couldn't be happier that I'm finally interested in learning to shoot.  Really looking forward to getting involved with the forums.

We 'floated' up to the S'port area after Katrina, too... just moved to TX last summer. We have many friends (and at least one TSP forum member friend) who are still over there. Glad to have you on the forum!

Offline Preppernation

• Prepper
    • "Prepper" Nation
« Reply #808 on: September 03, 2009, 05:44:13 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm just getting started on the forum. As they say "Long time listener, first time caller"... or I should say long time lurker, first time poster! Anyway, hello and I'm looking forward to getting to everyone!

Prepper

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #809 on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »
Hi,
Brian here, near the Rockford metroplex in Northern IL.
Wife 2 kids, preps are under the family radar as best as possible but I have a months worth at most times.
Most of my things are "camping quality" as leaving the house with a 2 kids under 6 would be difficult at best.  No real retreat other than plenty of family in a "normal" 1-3 hour radius, and if things got really bad and we had the gas to make it, we could probably squat on a ranch in Montana that a relative owns.

That is about the worst of it.
Brian