Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1991359 times)

Offline PeerGynt

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #810 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:51 PM »
Hi!

My name is Greg and I live out in Phoenix. I started listening to the podcast from the beginning about a month ago. I'm only up to about 75 so it'll still be a while til I am current.

I just recently got interested in the survival mentality and preparedness and I'm starting to take the first steps towards bringing down my dept and getting some food stores and skills in place.

I'm also new guns and farming so I'm eager to learn about those topics as well.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #811 on: September 03, 2009, 08:46:46 PM »
Welcome Preppernation, bubtech and PeerGynt!  Sounds like you all came to the right place! 

BP

Offline MikeBoxwell

• Prepper
    • Solar Electricity Handbook
« Reply #812 on: September 04, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »
My name is Michael Boxwell and I found this forum as one other forum member wrote a review of one of my books, The Solar Electricity Handbook, on this site.

I'm not here to blatantly advertise my book, however. I've been looking around the site and I like what I see. Congratulations to everyone for making a great little community here.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #813 on: September 04, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
Hi All,
I'm a typical mid 20's prepper based out of New York City who's heart is upstate in the woods. My interests include camping, hunting/marksmanship, computers, carpentry, theater, and just about everything else you could imagine. I'm a Chapter officer with Zombie Squad Chapter 007 and have been active there for about a year and a half now. I also volunteer with the local Red Cross as part of their field communications unit (Ham operator for 5+ years). So... that's about it for me. Hope I can contribute here.
-D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #814 on: September 04, 2009, 02:01:35 PM »
Welcome MikeBoxwell . Thanks for writing the book. Now I need to go back and read the review.. I think I missed it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #815 on: September 04, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
Hi All,
I'm a typical mid 20's prepper based out of New York City who's heart is upstate in the woods. My interests include camping, hunting/marksmanship, computers, carpentry, theater, and just about everything else you could imagine. I'm a Chapter officer with Zombie Squad Chapter 007 and have been active there for about a year and a half now. I also volunteer with the local Red Cross as part of their field communications unit (Ham operator for 5+ years). So... that's about it for me. Hope I can contribute here.
-D

Out Of Order - you sound like you're gonna fit RIGHT in here!  Welcome to the pod!  :)

firemann816

« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
Hello All
I;m firemann816 -
I live in the Southeast and am new to survival & prep.

Professionally I am in I.T. but I change careers every 10 years or so.
I was a FF/EMT with an agency in Brevard County FL from 89 to 97 and volunteering for two years prior.
Was the time of my life and we did the
'hope for the best, prep for the worst' thing there.

I come from the foil hat / anti-NWO / 9/11 truth crowd.
I felt like since you believe all this stuff is coming down and it is being done by collusion,
what are you going to do about it?

Survival / prep / self-reliance.
'there seems to be a glitch in The Matrix'
I want to be ready & protect those I can.

All the best to everyone here, and thanks Jack for a great show -
I download and write it to a memory stick and listen in my car on my commutes & drives.

I'm interested first in
precious metals, solar and learning food production & storage.

Regards,
firemann816

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:50 PM »
Welcome firemann816
precious metals, solar and learning food production & storage.
We have some really good threads on this stuff.
Also, if you haven't done it yet, check out Ready Made Resources.
http://readymaderesources.com/
They have a free downloadable catalog that has tons of info on solar. Great stuff and great info.

Also for all the other new people, I want to welcome you.
There's way to many to name, but welcome to all.
It warms my heart to see so many people taking an active interest in their future.

Offline CdnGuy

• Survivor
« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »
Hello there! I stumbled on to TheSurvivalPodcast through iTunes Store and I AM HOOKED! Well, I wasn't completely hooked until I heard Jack talk about Permaculture. I studied permaculture about 10 years ago and was convinced that this is one of those ideas that could change the world for the better. Survivalist, voluntary simplicity, gourmand, farmer, I don't care what your genre is. Permaculture is something everyone should be doing in some way. Thanks Jack.

I'm also a contributing writer for the Canadian Preppers Network and hope to get something going on podcast wise, targeting Canadians, in the very near future.

Glad to be here.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #819 on: September 04, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Welcome everybody.

CdnGuy, if you get that podcast going make sure to post a link so we can check it out. ;)

texasrugger

« Reply #820 on: September 04, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
Hey everyone!  My name is Jeremy, I'm 33 and I live in La Marque, TX.  Just this side of the mainland from Galveston Island.  Been listening to The Survival Podcast for awhile, but upon becoming a father just 2 months ago, have finally started to do something and not just listen anymore.  Been reading alot of books about permaculture and have gotten the wife involved in buying more food when we go to the store in order to start having some supply on hand.  I've outfitted both cars with 72 hour kits.  Stuff I should have done before, but at least I'm finally getting it done. 
   My major area of concern is firearms.  I must say that I'm pretty ignorant about the whole.  I'm working on that though.  A friend from work's husband is what some call a 'gun nut' and we're going to start going to the shooting range he is a member of every Sunday to help me get better acquainted with handguns and rifles. 
    In other words.  Be patient with me.  I've listened to alot of podcasts and read alot of books, but have almost zero practical experience and will probably have more questions than answers.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #821 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
Hey everyone!  My name is Jeremy, I'm 33 and I live in La Marque, TX.  Just this side of the mainland from Galveston Island.  Been listening to The Survival Podcast for awhile, but upon becoming a father just 2 months ago, have finally started to do something and not just listen anymore.  Been reading alot of books about permaculture and have gotten the wife involved in buying more food when we go to the store in order to start having some supply on hand.  I've outfitted both cars with 72 hour kits.  Stuff I should have done before, but at least I'm finally getting it done.  
   My major area of concern is firearms.  I must say that I'm pretty ignorant about the whole.  I'm working on that though.  A friend from work's husband is what some call a 'gun nut' and we're going to start going to the shooting range he is a member of every Sunday to help me get better acquainted with handguns and rifles.  
    In other words.  Be patient with me.  I've listened to alot of podcasts and read alot of books, but have almost zero practical experience and will probably have more questions than answers.
Glad you're here Jeremy.  Welcome to the forums, & I'm sure you'll find plenty of folks who are eager to help out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:41:53 AM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #822 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
Hey everyone!  My name is Jeremy, I'm 33 and I live in La Marque, TX.  Just this side of the mainland from Galveston Island.  Been listening to The Survival Podcast for awhile, but upon becoming a father just 2 months ago, have finally started to do something and not just listen anymore.  Been reading alot of books about permaculture and have gotten the wife involved in buying more food when we go to the store in order to start having some supply on hand.  I've outfitted both cars with 72 hour kits.  Stuff I should have done before, but at least I'm finally getting it done. 
   My major area of concern is firearms.  I must say that I'm pretty ignorant about the whole.  I'm working on that though.  A friend from work's husband is what some call a 'gun nut' and we're going to start going to the shooting range he is a member of every Sunday to help me get better acquainted with handguns and rifles. 
    In other words.  Be patient with me.  I've listened to alot of podcasts and read alot of books, but have almost zero practical experience and will probably have more questions than answers.

Excellent!  Welcome to the forum, Jeremy!  Questions are MOST welcome here!  :)

Offline Locomoco

• Survivor
« Reply #823 on: September 05, 2009, 02:12:45 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I'm Mel from Seattle.  I grew up in Hawaii and still consider myself an island boy at heart.  I've been lurking for several weeks now as a guest to this forum and like what I see!  I started getting into the prepping mentality thru EDC'ing and I look forward to learning more from all the great people here!

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #824 on: September 05, 2009, 03:48:39 AM »
Hello all! I am also a new member from Hawaii! :)

I have been listening to Jacks pod cast for several months now and love what i hear. I am not new to be somewhat preppared but wanting to learn more from you guys and being a true survivalist.

appreciate all useful info and hope to contribute.

Aloha!

Offline Hawaii Guy

• Prepper
« Reply #825 on: September 05, 2009, 03:50:06 AM »
Hey locomoco what island from???

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #826 on: September 05, 2009, 07:33:35 AM »
Welcome to all the new folks. There is a lot of good information and great people here!

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #827 on: September 05, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »
Hey people.  New member, long time listener here in Missouri.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #828 on: September 05, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »

My major area of concern is firearms.  I must say that I'm pretty ignorant about the whole.  I'm working on that though. 

You've come to the right place.  We have a great thread from whatzhizname (that's his user name) on firearms 101.  It's here:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4704.0

No one here is that "gun store guy" who mocks you for asking questions about guns or acts all knowledgeable just to be a jerk.  A good chunk of the people on the forum are new to guns; we love that and try to help by giving out some good info.

There are plenty of threads on the Firearms board like "Getting my first gun-what should I get?" and that kind of thing.  We even have the boards broken down to handguns, rifles, etc.

I encourage you and everyone else needing info on this topic to get a free, non-jerky, and trustworthy education here on TSP.

Offline Locomoco

• Survivor
« Reply #829 on: September 05, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »
Hey locomoco what island from???

Howzit Hawaii Guy,

I'm from Oahu.  Kalihi Valley!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #830 on: September 05, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
Hey people.  New member, long time listener here in Missouri.

I love your avatar!
What a Good Dog!
(because there is no Bad Dog) ;D

Offline PeggyMD

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #831 on: September 05, 2009, 05:19:40 PM »
Dear All,

I’m been listening to The Survival Podcast for about the past month. I am Baby Boomer prepper, single woman, late 50‘s with three daughters, ages 23, 20 and 19, and a family practice physician in solo practice in Maine.  Three years ago I realized I could never fulfill my dream and retire in my current home due to annual property taxes of almost $6000 (and it is too huge with a large lawn) and started to look for a more economical community.  After finding five acres of hilltop privacy, complete with farm fields, only 30 minutes from my office, I explored energy efficiency for building a new home to further minimize economic needs during a potential Social Security less future. 

In January I googled “survival” and found Survival Blog, now my usual daily reading after news in Drudge Report.   My previous focus had been political, starting after 9/11, but after the 11/08 election, I became nervous about our country’s future.  In early August, after another evening of net search, I found The Survival Podcast.  Great site!  The grasshopper and the ant is much saner than the all guns and ammo approach, and I hope to become more involved in networking.

Preps in 2009:  got my first handgun, took two intro courses, and now belong to the local shooting range; have pulled out my pressure cooker canner from the 1970’s and canned lots of meat, and a few fruits and veggies; got and learned to use a dehydrator; have 1 ½ years of stored canned and dried food; tapped my maple trees and now have a year or more supply of maple syrup after boiling in my kitchen until the wallpaper rippled multiple times; have experimented with lots of veggie gardening (after many years of flowers and landscaping, and indoor African violets on every window sill), and plan a root cellar in the basement sand pit left 13 years ago for a bathroom we never got around to installing, when we built this house…until I move to the hilltop.

Enough for now.

PeggyMD

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #832 on: September 05, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »
WOW
A whole bunch of new members. Welcome all and jump right in.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #833 on: September 05, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »
Welcome all!

PeggyMD, Your input would be very much appreciated!  Please stop by the Medical thread during your travels and feel free to contribute your expertice.  We have a lot of medics/EMTs, but I think you may be our first Doctor! ;D.  We also have a dentist (AKDentist) that sets us straight on dental issues. 

I hope you find this a sane and helpful site! 

Berserker Prime

Offline 918victor

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #834 on: September 05, 2009, 05:53:21 PM »
Howdy All!

New member from Dirttime 09. I met a lot of great people from the pod cast there so I thought I would drop in and say hello.  I dont know most of your screen names so feel free to PM me. It might take me a while to put the name w/ the face. I was the one with the Ridgeback.

I live in Norcal and have a small tree care business. My interest generally fall under the catagories of freedom and adventure.  I like fishing, building, fishing, gardening, fishing, hunting, shooting, camping, fishing, hiking, kayaking, freediving, foraging. I like learning new things, seeing new places and meeting new people.

Nice to meet you all

Matt

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #835 on: September 05, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
I love your avatar!
What a Good Dog!
(because there is no Bad Dog) ;D

yeah, she poses well.  Nice bunny but is it singing or screaming?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #836 on: September 05, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
Howdy All!

New member from Dirttime 09. I met a lot of great people from the pod cast there so I thought I would drop in and say hello.  I dont know most of your screen names so feel free to PM me. It might take me a while to put the name w/ the face. I was the one with the Ridgeback.

I live in Norcal and have a small tree care business. My interest generally fall under the catagories of freedom and adventure.  I like fishing, building, fishing, gardening, fishing, hunting, shooting, camping, fishing, hiking, kayaking, freediving, foraging. I like learning new things, seeing new places and meeting new people.

Nice to meet you all

Matt

So, I hear ya like fishing....;D

Welcome to the forums everyone.

PeggyMD it sounds like you've jumped in with both feet.  Good for you!  Make sure you keep us updated on your progress & struggles.  We like to offer encouragement around here.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #837 on: September 05, 2009, 07:16:25 PM »
Howdy All!

Nice to meet you all

Matt

Aarrrrrr!!!!  North Western Seamen unite!  west-siiiiiiide!!!!

Welcome, Matt!  I was the one with the scrappy ridgeback mix who wanted to fight with your Ridgeback.  Welcome to the Pod!  :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #838 on: September 05, 2009, 07:17:45 PM »
PS - That abalone looks delicious, Matt.

Offline Ironhead

• Prepper
    • TSP Chat
« Reply #839 on: September 05, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
Hi everyone.

My name is Chris. I was lucky enough to be number 3000 to join this forum!

I'm 38 yrs old and live in Arlington, Texas - just a couple of miles from Jack. (We don't know each other and we've never met).

My wife and I have been prepping by getting out of debt, stocking up and working to become self sufficient for a few years now but TSP is inspiring us to really get focused and be more creative. I lurked here a while before joining and I've learned a lot from you folks. Thank you very much. Now that I've joined I'm looking forward to asking some questions and hopefully making a contribution.

I'm especially interested in face-to-face networking in this region. Hit me up!