Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1940274 times)

Offline EagleNewB1984

• Prepper
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #900 on: September 10, 2009, 06:02:21 PM »
Alright, fine.  The definition of geek for me is I am the entire IT department for my company and all of it's subsidiaries.  I do desktop support and repairs, Server Admin, DB admin, Network Admin, VOIP admin (phones), Alarm system/card access system (building security), product development and anything else that talks in bits and bytes.  Professional geek is a lot easier to type and doesn't sound so pretentious.

Offline ECACE

• Prepper
« Reply #901 on: September 10, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »
Hey all, been lurking around the forum for a couple months and posted a couple times, but never properly introduced myself.
Name is Eric, ECACE is just my initials forward then backwards.  I see I am amongst other geeks.  That is a good thing.

I am a father of two, daughter just turned 9, and my son is 2.  They are probably the main reason I got back into the prepping mentality.
Like many others, I was brought up with the "Prepping" mindset, it was just the way we lived.  We always went camping as kids too.
We couldn't afford to go on a vacation somewhere special, but we didn't know any better.  My mom taught us all to camp and how to take care of things.
We also grew up doing gardening.  That was how many of our summers were spent.  Someone let our family use about 1/4 an acre to garden on.
And again, like many others, life happened, and I got away from it all.  After being married and getting a house and... you know how it goes.
Now I am getting back into gardening!  I had a fresh tomato when I got home from work tonight!  Good way to end a long day!

I've got much further to go though.  One point that Jack pointed out in the probability matrix was if something happened to me would be more likely than the regional or global. 
That has been something bugging the living daylights out of me.  Wondering what would happen with my wife and kids if something happened to me.
So hearing him talk about it was the final straw and I am happy to say I got one of the things off my list...Life Insurance.
I just needed to get off my but and do it!  So that it one thing down.  A second thing I now have is my solar oven.
I had wanted one for the longest time, and after a series of very good circumstances, I got a Global Sun Oven basically for free!
So I am enjoying learning to cook with it, and if things go bad, then I will have another way to cook for my family.

I am also building up my food storage in bins in the basement.  And already we have had a handful of times where we are making diner and realize we are out of something.
And sure enough, we had it in the storage.  So, go down to the basement, finish diner, then next time we go to the store, we pick up extra of what we used.  It just makes sense, doesn't it?
Lastly, I have picked up Mels new sq foot gardening book, and will try SQG next year for the first time.  I have always done rows or sections of a flat garden.
After reading the first couple chapters, I am hyped!  Being in Wisconsin, I need any extra gardening season I can get, and it looks like that will work.

Very wordy, I know, just my intro as I don't get to post too often, I do a lot more reading instead.  Last thing, occupation is an Electrical Engineer, and am also a Amateur Radio Op (KA9ZYU).

Great to meet you all, and hope to post more often.

E

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #902 on: September 10, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
Welcome Eric and all you other sickos that want to improve your lives and conditions! ;D

Offline Darth Tater

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #903 on: September 11, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »
Hey guys.  I'm new to TSP, and was directed here by a friend.  The podcasts are a tremendous resource, and I'm learning quite a bit. 

I work overseas, and have horrible DL speeds, so this will hopefully be another good source to keep learning, when I can't get the podcasts. 

I feel more than adequately prepared on the home and family defense fronts.  I've been working on prepping with food storage and short term supplies.  I'm looking forward to learning more about alternative energy sources, gardening, permaculture, and the like, with an eye towards a more sustainable lifestyle.

Darth Tater

Offline Flite

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #904 on: September 11, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
Hi guys, Jack's podcast has made its way down as far as New Zealand. I'm 33, married with two children (and one more on the way). I'm a financial planner who moved as many of my clients as would listen out of stocks in early 2007, and I'm considered a little wierd by my colleagues as I often include gold and silver in my recommendations (seems to be a good move so far ...).

Still fairly new at this prepper thing but it all makes good sense to me ...

sarahluker

« Reply #905 on: September 11, 2009, 06:08:17 AM »
Wow, a wise man.  Welcome. 

Offline badger

• Prepper
« Reply #906 on: September 11, 2009, 06:42:15 AM »
Howdy,

I'm 'Badger' since I'm following TSP from Central Wisconsin.  I'm married with two small children . . .  I found the show after searching iTunes for 'heirloom gardening'.  I've always been into prepping but now that I've learned a bit about organizing the process I will say that I feel better about where we are at as a family.  I work as a manager in a grocery store and can attest to how quickly the shelves will run dry if there is ever a hiccup in distribution.  Jack's advice to store extra food, and store the things you'd eat anyway are words to live by.

Keep up the great work, I love the show and will be joining MSB very soon.

-Badger

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #907 on: September 11, 2009, 08:06:55 AM »

I work as a manager in a grocery store and can attest to how quickly the shelves will run dry if there is ever a hiccup in distribution. 

Thanks, badger.  You've inspired me even more to kick food storage into higher gear. Welcome.

Speaking of welcomes, I must admit that all you great new people have overwhelmed us mods.  We used to be able to say "hi" to every new person on the Intro Thread.  We still do for many.  But there are just too danged many of you.  Good!  We love all you new people and truly look forward to learning from you and sharing knowledge.  So consider every single one of you thanked for joining and warmly welcomed.  Every single new Intro Thread post makes me happy.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #908 on: September 11, 2009, 12:27:47 PM »
Welcome aboard the SS TSP Darth Tater (kickass callsign!), Badger, and Flite!

Darth Tater, after spending 15 months in Turkey, I can understand slow DSL speeds! :-\  Hope you can get what you need from the TSP!

Berserker Prime

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #909 on: September 12, 2009, 05:46:12 PM »
Thanks, badger.  You've inspired me even more to kick food storage into higher gear. Welcome.

Speaking of welcomes, I must admit that all you great new people have overwhelmed us mods.  We used to be able to say "hi" to every new person on the Intro Thread.  We still do for many.  But there are just too danged many of you.  Good!  We love all you new people and truly look forward to learning from you and sharing knowledge.  So consider every single one of you thanked for joining and warmly welcomed.  Every single new Intro Thread post makes me happy.

LOL!!!!  I remember when I started listening to Jack back when His show was like a little over 2 months old.....LOL!    I also remember being able to go throught the forums with ease and able to keep up with the Survival Podcast Forum times......   And now, I'm worried because I just cant keep up. :D   
Guess that is actually a good thing...  Welcome..... ;)

Offline JohnnyUtah

• Prepper
« Reply #910 on: September 12, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
Wanted to introduce myself and say, What a great resource.   I found TSD while looking up some food prep info. 

I am a 35 yo RN in an ER, married with 2 little ones.  Never really thought about finding like minded folks on the interwebs, but I'm glad I did. 

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #911 on: September 12, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
Greetings all!

Found TSP a few months ago.  Almost caught up with all the podcasts starting from #1.

Me: Mid 30's.  Married.  2 little boys.  Active duty United States Air Force physician.  Grew up in South FL and lived through many hurricanes.  Always had a preparedness mindset, but had very little direction and almost no guidance.  In my early 20's, I moved to the Mid-South of the U.S.  Started my own business, taught myself to fish and hunt and garden.  Decided to go back to school and became a physician on the military's dime. 

My wife is partially on board... honestly, she keeps my feet on the ground.  She grew up in South FL too, so she sees where I am coming from.  Since having our two little boys, my wife is becoming more and more of an ant.

Our preps are in the early stages.  I have read and read for many years about a lot of the topics on the forums here, but have had little opportunity, courage, and motivation to put it into practice.  I have just started to apply the knowledge I have gained over the years, mostly from the prompting by Jack.  I am just starting to formulate my 5 year plan to get outa dodge and start my homestead.

It has been so refreshing to find TSP.  I finally can put in to words what I have felt for a long time: I have been an ant, surrounded and distracted by grasshoppers for too long!  I am not the only ant out there!  Thank the Lord! 

I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe I can share some knowledge when and if I can.

See ya around!

Doc K

Goatdog62

« Reply #912 on: September 12, 2009, 07:50:39 PM »
hey, a doctor! You could come in handy. Welcome Doc K!

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #913 on: September 12, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
welcome everyone! glad to have ya'll apart of the community! glad we have a doctor. W00T! now we can ask him all our awkward questions instead of Jack or Sister Wolf. :)

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #914 on: September 13, 2009, 06:48:49 AM »
Hi guys, Jack's podcast has made its way down as far as New Zealand. I'm 33, married with two children (and one more on the way). I'm a financial planner who moved as many of my clients as would listen out of stocks in early 2007, and I'm considered a little wierd by my colleagues as I often include gold and silver in my recommendations (seems to be a good move so far ...).

hmmm, invest in something besides paper - how odd, hehehe
Welcome to the forum.  It will be interesting to see a New Zealand perspective sprinkled around the topics.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #915 on: September 13, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »
welcome to all the new folks. Jump right in.

The Wilderness

RobUSA

« Reply #916 on: September 13, 2009, 12:11:46 PM »
Hello everyone My name Is Rob I reside in southern Oklahoma and I have been into being prepared for a while I was a boy scout may have started then but I know these days that it is very much needed and I look forward to learning from everyone and bringing whatever I can to the table would love to know what zone I'm in so we can have a dirt time around here, love the Pod Cast think its great anyone in my area give me a shout, I have a group of friends that I have gotten into preparedness and my boss is already a member here

WE WILL SURVIVE WHATEVER IS THROWN AT US

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #917 on: September 13, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
Welcome Rob!!! Awesome all these new peeps.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #918 on: September 13, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
welcome Rob. glad to here you have a good support group in prepping. it can be rough if you're all alone. :)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #919 on: September 13, 2009, 08:40:22 PM »
Hi Y'all (We don't really say Y'all here in Colorado but it fit!)  My name is Barb and yes I live in Colorful Colorado.  I am married to my best friend (together 33 years) and we love TSP and feel like we finally met some folks with like minded ideas. I have been canning this week - and am up to 90 lbs. (yes that is pounds) of green beans I have canned and there is more to pick.  Garden has been awesome in spite of being hailed out earlier this summer. Weather is cooling and hopefully the tomatoes will turn before it's too cold.  Enjoy reading all the posts and especially enjoy the kindness I see from the mods (Sister Wolf and others).  You all seem like great people and hope to get to know you more.  I saw where there may be a Dirt Time 10 and we hope to attend this one.  I love the post where you are asked, "what have you done to prep this week?" It's a great reminder no matter how far you think you are there is always more you can do. I will try to remember that later this week when I am canning more green beans.  Have a blessed day.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #920 on: September 13, 2009, 09:03:14 PM »
Welcome to the boards everybody.

I look forward to reading your experiences.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #921 on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Enjoy reading all the posts and especially enjoy the kindness I see from the mods (Sister Wolf and others).  You all seem like great people and hope to get to know you more.  I saw where there may be a Dirt Time 10 and we hope to attend this one.  I love the post where you are asked, "what have you done to prep this week?" It's a great reminder no matter how far you think you are there is always more you can do. I will try to remember that later this week when I am canning more green beans.  Have a blessed day.

Hey TBM!  Kindness from me?  I'm sure there is a lot of snickering going on in the background with that statement.  Careful with that - you'll have me wrapped around your finger if you keep bein' nice to me.  ;)

Seriously, you have stumbled upon the best group of survivalists that exists on the internet, and you (and your best friend!) are most welcome here in our little "pod".

Much love and big warm fuzzy hugs from me and my polar bear (that'd be "The Wilderness" here on the forum),

Sis

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #922 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
Welcome TBM!  Glad to have you and your's aboard!

BP

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #923 on: September 14, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »
I agree with the rest of the mods, growing by leaps and bounds means trying to catch everyone to say hello and welcome gets harder and harder. Welcome all you new folk!

Offline tdavis

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #924 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »
hey guys this is Tyson out of Idaho started listening at episode 203 and thought I should introduce myself. I was looking for wilderness survival, found this podcast and fell in love keep up the great work Jack.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #925 on: September 14, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »
Welcome to the pod, Tyson!  :)

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #926 on: September 15, 2009, 05:29:21 AM »
Good morning,
   Hmmm, where to begin?
   I'm a married, homeschooling mom.  New to TSP (just started listening last week) and prepping. 
   Although my grandmother could grow and can food and make clothing, the art was largely lost in my family.  I got into gardening a few years ago, just a few edibles in pots on the patio.  I can sew a bit, can't can at all.
   I'm here to learn all I can and help others if possible.  I have wanted to increase my gardening/sewing skills and learn to can for awhile now, but the possibility of very hard times ahead lends a new urgency.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #927 on: September 15, 2009, 08:14:47 AM »
Welcome Kayzonara!  I love the fact that your homeschooling and as far as canning etc, you'll find tons of resources here!  BP

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #928 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »
I add my welcome too Kayzonara.  I am a canner and love it.  I think it's too cool to take whatever was grown in our garden, wash it and stick it in a jar and can it.  I don't worry about refrigeration or freezers going down and if need be you can open it and eat straight from the jar.  PLUS you have the control of what you put in there - no additives, no chemicals just wholesome food.  Good luck - if you have questions fire away! TBM

clockworkowl

« Reply #929 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »
Wow what a resource this site is! I'm a 38 year old auditor with a wife and kid who is sick and tired of being fed up with the bozos in Washington. I's so sick of arguing politics, I could yack.

I finally decided to spend my time and energy on something I can actually do something about. I am starting a garden based on the square foot method and Jack's advice. I am also working on some other basic preps based upon the guidance I've found on this site.

I hope to contribute here when I have a chance.