Author Topic: Intro Thread  (Read 1937150 times)

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Intro Thread
« Reply #960 on: September 19, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »
I will get the statistical stuff out of the way first. I am 36 year old male living in Manitoba. I am married and have one child.

I stumbled on the podcast about 6 months ago and have been generally impressed by Jack's clear thinking and sensible approach to prepping.

By way of background, I have spend time working in international development, academics and the military, plus a couple other things for a bit. From my time overseas with both the military and working in international development, I have developed an appreciation for how fragile the systems of support are, and how many things could interfere with them.  I also got to see how little we need to be comfortable and happy, and that community often matters more than stuff.  I have been prepping in a haphazard way since my 20s, and have felt for quite awhile that there is something wrong with modern society.  Listening to Jack has helped give me more focus on what I need to do. Compared to many of you I am just a beginner, when it comes to this stuff. While I feel pretty comfortable with my wildness survival skills, I realize that I need to learn a lot about gardening, canning and some of the more domestic skills.

I have rambled long enough, I think I will shut up and learn for a bit.

Welcome Rand...with a name like that I bet you never get lost!...  :D

NFlaGator

« Reply #961 on: September 19, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
Greetings all,
Enjoying the site.  Found it by accident (looking for the book - How to survive the collapse of civilization - still looking by the way, lol).

Hubby & I are in north Florida as the name implies.  Moved up from the Tampa Bay area in 2005 to escape the rat race, to open rural space, (nice little 4 acres, 15 miles from coastline). All the kids, 3 mine, 5 his, all grown, last one left for college this year.

I work remote for a software company.  Hubby is self employed Jack of all trades - master of all. (What a catch!) ;)
Stocked & prepped for various disaster scenarios, could survive most for at least a month.  Always room for improvement.
Frequent the Talley gun shows, (can you ever have enough?).

Getting ready for a little vacation in the RV at the end of the month.
Hope to learn a bit and share a bit.

Offline Granny Miller

• Prepper
    • Granny Miller - Smallholder's Daily - Granny Miller's  Homestead, Garden & Pantry & American Home Canning
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
Hi all  :)
I'm an old, grouchy burned out blogger.

I've been living a life of deliberate self reliance in rural Pennsylvania for a really long time.
I think I have probably just about seen and done it all.

Well maybe not.

I had too much common sense to raise alpacas, ostriches or live in a teepee  :D
when I had my big chance.

My main purpose for visiting this forum is to be of assistance to the young 'uns & pass on information that was freely given to me many, many years ago.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #963 on: September 19, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
Hi all  :)
I'm an old, grouchy burned out blogger.

I've been living a life of deliberate self reliance in rural Pennsylvania for a really long time.
I think I have probably just about seen and done it all.

Well maybe not.

I had too much common sense to raise alpacas, ostriches or live in a teepee  :D
when I had my big chance.

My main purpose for visiting this forum is to be of assistance to the young 'uns & pass on information that was freely given to me many, many years ago.

That's awesome, Granny! Cuz' we are one HONGRY bunch of young'uns!  :-*

sarahluker

« Reply #964 on: September 19, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
Granny, It looks as though you can by your avatar.  Hope to pick your brain a bit as I am just starting to can.  Welcome to the group.

Offline Dadgumit

• Prepper
« Reply #965 on: September 20, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
Howdy all. New to the podcast, new to the forums, new to the discipline. I started making a BOB (didn't know to call it that at the time) and started googling to figure out what to put in it, and here I am. Really excited about learning, I feel like the survivalist/self sufficiency idea has been floating around in my head without a name for a long time.

I am still reading a lot and kind of looking at where to begin etc... but really appreciate the perspective I am getting from the 'cast.

Offline Mom of 7

• Prepper
« Reply #966 on: September 20, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
I'm new here too!  I have 7 children ages 18, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6 and 4.  Four boys, three girls.  I found Jack's podcast doing a search on iTunes and I've been hooked ever since.  We are involved in Boy Scouts (my 18 y/o earned his Eagle Scout earlier this year) and we love the primitive living skills. 

We lived thru Katrina in rural Mississippi and were 10 days without electricity and 11 without running water, 2 months without landlines!  It was a nightmare and I often joke that I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder because of it!  I was nursing a 6 week old baby and was constantly worried about Dehydration!  NEVER AGAIN I say!  Everything Jack says has hit home with me like a resonating GONG! 

We have been planting useful trees, square foot gardening, started building breeder rabbit cages, have a chicken coop and greenhouse in the making!  I live in a community that is a farming community however not very self- reliant when it comes to emergencies.  Katrina was a real hardship. I listen to the podcasts and can't wait to hear the first 200 after I join the Brigade! 

Jack, keep up the most excellent work you do and I say "hats off" to the moderators!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #967 on: September 20, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »
Holy cow, Mo7! Lots of babes.  :)

I don't think it's a joke that you might have been a bit traumatized by Katrina.  It was a heck of an event.

To ALL of the new people: Thank you so much for joining our forum, and we sincerely look forward to getting to know you all better!  73s and 88s to you all!  :)

Offline vgun

• Prepper
  • Born to be riled
« Reply #968 on: September 20, 2009, 02:31:37 PM »
I all--Found this site via another forum. Did some lurking for awhile and this looks like a great site.
 I'm 59 years old.
I've been into situational awareness for as long as I can remember--I was born in Camden NJ ;D
I started carrying an EDC/GHB back in the 70's.
I was never really prepped the way I am now but I've always been prepped to some degree.
Back a few years ago, while surfing the web I found some stuff on survival and joined a couple forums and that's when I realized that other folks did this too.
Cool --I'm not a wierdo (of course that can be opened for debate) ;D
Looking forward to learning some stuff here and giving input when I feel that I have something to offer.
Thanks for the great site

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #969 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:31 PM »
Welcome All!  Hope you find this forum as inciteful and helpful as I do.

BP

evliath

« Reply #970 on: September 20, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »
Greetings ya'll,

I discovered the podcast after hearing about it from the self-sufficient homestead crew, and I downloaded every available ITunes episode before I headed over for a long business trip to the UK.  I've listened to at least 30 of them, and it's killing me to be here in the UK and not able to actually DO anything in my yard.

Right before my trip I had already selected a 15 acre wooded lot about a half-hour east of our favorite host's bug-out location, and now I want it even more but I can't see the darn thing until next week when I'm back.  UGH!!!

Anyway, now that I'm registered I'll be searching the forum on ideas for partially clearing the forest in small chunks as I want to terraform it over the next few years before we move out there.

Fortunately for me, my wife had already adopted several permaculture principles without realizing what she was doing--our garden now has lots of various plants in it, and she's been pressing me to dig up the azaleas and move them somewhere else so she can plant useful things.  Very nice.

I'll be joining the brigade when I'm back in the good ol' USA.  Man I miss the place.

Thanks for the awesome podcast.

Offline spencerz

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #971 on: September 20, 2009, 05:11:28 PM »
Hello all,

I have been listening to Jack's podcasts for a couple of weeks now and he definitely makes me want to be prepared for whatever may happen in my family's life.  I am a Software Developer in the Piedmont Triad Area of North Carolina.  I am going to night school to get my MBA as well.  Also, my life is about ready change from a family of 2 to a family of 3 as my wife was due with our first child (a boy) 2 days ago!  Maybe it's some sort of paternal instinct or something, but I feel like I need to get more prepared and all.

I guess I will have to search the forum's for some advice on how to convince my wife that I'm not a little bit crazy for wanting to store up some food and water.  I brought it up once and didn't get such a good response.

Anyways, I hope to stay active here with the group.  And thanks to Jack for the excellent podcast.  I hope that you can turn the site/podcast into a sole source of income for your family.  I think you deserve it for how much you have given to the community.

Sincerely,
Spencer

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #972 on: September 20, 2009, 05:18:05 PM »
Welcome guys!  :)

Offline swirb

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #973 on: September 20, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
Howdy Folks been listening to the podcast for a few weeks it is nice to find a balance between people who live in complete denial that we live in a plastic illusion and those who arehidden in a bunker waiting armageddon

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #974 on: September 20, 2009, 06:51:24 PM »
Hi all, been listening to Jack since basically the beginning and lurking here for a while.

By profession, I'm an automotive worker (Quality Manager).  Its pretty obvious from my screen name where I live. 

I've been gardening ever since I've had a home of my own and was raised on a polyculture farm.  I've been a hunter, fisher and shooter just by proxy of where I grew up.  I've got a month or two of food, ammo, etc. on hand and am gathering more at every chance. 

I've not really done much noteworthy to contribute to the movement of Modern Survival except that I have an article on fishing for food that is slated to be published in Backwoods Home.

Nice to meet yall.

Goatdog62

« Reply #975 on: September 20, 2009, 08:28:05 PM »
Hi all, been listening to Jack since basically the beginning and lurking here for a while.

By profession, I'm an automotive worker (Quality Manager).  Its pretty obvious from my screen name where I live. 

I've been gardening ever since I've had a home of my own and was raised on a polyculture farm.  I've been a hunter, fisher and shooter just by proxy of where I grew up.  I've got a month or two of food, ammo, etc. on hand and am gathering more at every chance. 

I've not really done much noteworthy to contribute to the movement of Modern Survival except that I have an article on fishing for food that is slated to be published in Backwoods Home.

Nice to meet yall.

That article is something I'd like to read. Welcome KYdoomer.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #976 on: September 20, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
First post for me  ;D

My name is Chad,  I live in southern California... very long growing season :), 31 years old.

I have been listening to Jack for about 5  months now.  I found the TSP while looking for a podcasts from conservative minded hosts.  I chose TSP because of the avatar I saw attached, the wolf by the streams edge.  I tend not to frequent too many forums, busy with life, work, and what I have always done (though at the time I didn't know exactly what it was) prepping/survival minded living.

I work for a manufacturer based in southern Cali.  Sales,

I have been working my own garden for about 4 years now.  Much of which, due to space constraints, has been in barrels and pots around the pool.  I actually started ripping up portions of the lawn (before I heard Jack talk about removing the non productive grass :P ) last year for more room.

*** Never forget those who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom ***

Offline Mortie

• Prepper
« Reply #977 on: September 20, 2009, 10:30:04 PM »
Hi, I go by Mortie, and I'm an under-employed writer and editor in the Denver, CO area.

My wife and I have always lived a simple lifestyle compared to most, and we come by the prepping mentality naturally. We had to look out for the needs of the tenants in an apartment building we used to manage in 1999. It was a good dry run for thinking through many issues, and we are glad now for the experience we gained.

I would love to connect with other preppers in my area.

Offline beagle

• Prepper
« Reply #978 on: September 21, 2009, 06:13:32 AM »
first post to the forum, although i've listened to about 90% of shows.  figured it was time to chime in and add another listener from michigan to the list!!  the areas i want to learn about the most are gardening (bought the square foot book-waiting for spring to start) , food preps (storage / dehydrate), and debt reduction (the hardest one!!)   the semi wake-up call for me was the power outage a few years ago, the fact that we barely had any food in the fridge, and a half a tank of gas with about $20.00 cash. 

I look forward to learning alot here!!  and hopefully giving more than i receive!!

-Beagle

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #979 on: September 21, 2009, 07:33:46 AM »

I guess I will have to search the forum's for some advice on how to convince my wife that I'm not a little bit crazy for wanting to store up some food and water.  I brought it up once and didn't get such a good response.

spencerz: The thread Flip That Spouse is what you're looking for.  It's here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.0

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #980 on: September 21, 2009, 09:53:18 AM »
That article is something I'd like to read. Welcome KYdoomer.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can send you a copy tonight.

J

Offline Top Ward

• Fledgling Prepper
  • "This we'll defend"
« Reply #981 on: September 21, 2009, 11:58:23 AM »
Hi All,
I'm Pete and I'm a long time lurker...first time poster. Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I've been a "prepper" since my teenage years, ever since I saw "The Omega Man" on an afternoon movie matinee (for the younger folks that would be "I Am Legend" without computer graphics). I'm good to go with my wilderness skills, but as the years go by I've realized that going for a walkabout after a SHTF event wouldn't be practical. So, I started thinking towards "bugging in" before knowing there was a term for it. After listening to some of the podcasts I've realized I have a LOT to learn about gardening and canning/preserving. I'm planning for my first garden in years for next spring (I HATE weeding, after 22yrs in the military my knees aren't what they used to be). Looking to install a wood stove this fall/winter as time and expenses allow.
What I'm bringing to the group is a little ;) experience with firearms and other things that go boom. I'm a contract engineer (non-degreed, I worked my way up from starting as a meter reader) for electric utilities. Done a little dog training, sailing, DIY stuff around the house and I've been active with scouting in the past.
I still need to flip my spouse as she thinks I'm suffering from heavy metal poisoning from wearing my tin foil hat so much lately, but I looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Offline Valleymom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #982 on: September 21, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »
Hello!  I just stumbled onto this forum while researching how to get started with food storage. We can and freeze, but I want to do more to be self sufficient.  It looks like a great site and I'm excited to start reading all this info!

I'm in WA, homeschooling mom of 5 kids, and looking forward to learning from you all!

Andrea

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #983 on: September 21, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
BIG welcome to Pete and Andrea!  Look forward to hearing more from both of you!!! :)

HOUNDDOG

« Reply #984 on: September 21, 2009, 02:10:18 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm new here. Great place. I'm from So. Il. Five miles off of Rt.13. Ready and waiting. Been into preparedness going on 20 years now.  ;D

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #985 on: September 21, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
Hello!  I just stumbled onto this forum while researching how to get started with food storage. We can and freeze, but I want to do more to be self sufficient.  It looks like a great site and I'm excited to start reading all this info!

I'm in WA, homeschooling mom of 5 kids, and looking forward to learning from you all!

Andrea

A hearty welcome to you, Andrea; WOW! 5 schooled at home! Bless you, my child!  :D

Offline sclindah

• Prepper
  • Garden Harvest
    • Harper Happenings
« Reply #986 on: September 21, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
Hi, my husband and I are from the Upstate area of SC.  We live in at the end of a subdivision on an acre lot.  We have been preppers for several years but never really called ourselves this until listening to Jack! 

We have always believed in food storage and being self-sufficient and prepared for whatever may come.  We feel that is the most important insurance we can have.  We believe in being out of debt and are currently debt free.  We have had a garden and in our young marriage and poverty days we canned all fruits and vegetables and that is basically what we ate!   We have gottne more affluent  but still had a garden but as our children left home, had kind of had smaller gardens and put the canning jars and canners away!  That was until last summer before the meltdown.  We felt that we needed to get back at it and then the meltdown happened!  Boy am I glad we are out of debt and have our house paid off!  But we still have talked a lot of what we need to do so we can be more self-sufficient.  We have doubled the size of our garden.  We currently put everything into raised beds.  We have 15 beds of vegetables and 12 beds of berries.  This past spring, we picked 28 gallons of strawberries and have enjoyed some of our raspberries this summer for the first time.  We have grape vines and about 15 fruit trees.  We need to learn how to take better care of our trees for more yield but have started getting a little fruit. 

We decided this summer to start a greenhouse and so my hubbie is in the middle of building a 16 x 20 foot greenhouse. Our backyard is on a hill so we had a lot of dirt work done to make a level place and also terraced an area for another 12 raised beds for next year. 

We had a great garden this year and are still having a lot!  We had many bushels of tomatoes, green beans, squash, both winter and summer, just dug up 2 bushels of sweet potatoes today, cucumbers, peppers gallore, eggplant, and currently have some broccoli starting to head up and a lot of lettuces and cole types of crops!  We love how we are eating well and know where our food comes from! 

I've done a ton of canning meats and other new things this year including various pickles, bean salad, butter, and even some pineapple zucchini!  It's great to know othes feel as we do about being prepared for no matter what comes so we are not afraid but ready!

We don't have a bug out place but feel this is our place and as we retire in the next five years, we will be prepared to take care of ourselves.

I'm glad to be here!  I'd post some garden pics but I'm not sure how to do that yet!

sarahluker

« Reply #987 on: September 21, 2009, 06:59:22 PM »
Wow!   Welcome.  There are alot of us who would love to have an acre lot.  You are very blessed to have the land and a spouse who is working along side of you.  Hope to learn from your experiences.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #988 on: September 21, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
Welcome sclindah. We're in the CSRA and we're hoping to have a Meet & Greet in Columbia soon.

Arcticman

« Reply #989 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:33 AM »
Hello from Anchorage Alaska. I am 50 years old married man with three kids (grown) and seven grandkids. I was in the Army for six years and been in security and law enforcement since 1978. My wife and I both have our BOB in our cars and been in the prep mode for about 10 years. Always looking for new information and contacts. Just found this sight tonight. Working on the kids to get them more ready should the SHTF. Its a slow process but we have  family plan at least. Which by the way is a living document changing as we get older and the grandkids change schools etc.