Author Topic: can you make your own bullet molds  (Read 9979 times)

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
can you make your own bullet molds
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:34:08 PM »
can you make your own bullet molds at home?

i have assess to a full sized kiln

if you can, any one have any suggestions on making custom rounds maybe slugs for a shotgun?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: can you make your own bullet molds
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:07:28 PM »
I've never seen a bullet mold made from anything other than steel, brass or aluminum and they are milled.

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
well how about turning one on a lathe?

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
I've seen a bullet mold made from graphite. The mold was made by turning a male plug on a lathe, then cutting it away so as to make it a reamer/mill bit. The bit was then used to cut a half-mold into the faces of two graphite blocks, which were then lined up and could be poured and parted.

All told, a project like that will take you several days. You'll need access to a lathe AND a mill, and you'll burn up 15 bucks worth of lathe cutter, about another 15 bucks on the drill stock for the male plug/cutter, and easily 50-60 bucks on a block of graphite large enogh to make a multiple bullet mold out of, since it's not very conductive and you'll have to pour the lead and let it cool for a while.

then, when you find out your bullets are a teensy bit too big for your caliber, you'll have a 10,000 dollar hospital bill after having your face put back together.

Buy a bullet mold for 30-60 bucks brand new.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=732706

And get someone to show you how to do it, start to finish, and do it that way before you go off trying to change things around. If it wasn't explosive, projectile, and weapon related, I'd tell you to go have a blast.

no pun intended.

but since this is some potentially dangerous crap, my best advice is to go by the book and get it down pat, and then branch out from there.

Onion Blade.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm not a machinist, would only put my eye out if i tried something like that.

I have seen a thread where someone tried it although i don't remember what he used.

edit: there's your answer but i'll still dig out the thread and post link

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
Took a minute to find and not quite as detailed as I remembered, but here you go:

http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6554

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »

And get someone to show you how to do it, start to finish, and do it that way before you go off trying to change things around. If it wasn't explosive, projectile, and weapon related, I'd tell you to go have a blast.
i already know how to pour and reload my own bullets. Thanks for the input.
im not trying to make anything amazing im just trying to make molds that i don't already have.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 04:21:41 PM by shangrily »

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »
*breathes again*

OK, if you have some experience, then go right ahead. You'll need a mill though.

There is a youtube video I saw a while back where a fellow made shotgun slugs for non-rifled barrels by drilling a few holes in a piece of hardwood, putting it on a metal plate, and poured the lead in. It's rather surprising, but the wood doesn't really burn, it just chars in contact with the lead - there's no oxygen in the mold, so it just outgasses a little hydrogen/oxygen/nitrogen/water vapor and turns black.

Believe it or not, the chinese, and even the U.S. used laminated oak plywood for heat shields for unmanned spacecraft back in the day. The original CORONA satellites would snap photos on actual film, and dump the canister out the back of the satellite for recovery. The canister had an oak heat shield that did not burn, but charred just like the bullet mold in that video. Turns out that it takes so much energy to vaporize everything but the carbon that you wind up with this layer of high pressure, high energy plasma that doesn't conduct heat very well - it would take several hours to actually burn through even a half inch heat shield made of oak. Add oxygen to the mix, however, and you're through that sucker in a few seconds ;-)

Anyhow, i'd try slugs first, since the diameter and shape aren't all that tight on tolerances, and maybe just use an existing slug to take your measurements. If I find the video again, I'll post a link.

Offline mtnbkr

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:20 AM »
Unless you feel the need to do the work yourself, these guys can make a mold to your specs: http://www.mountainmolds.com/

They even have an online app to facilitate the process.

Chris

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
*breathes again*

OK, if you have some experience, then go right ahead. You'll need a mill though.

There is a youtube video I saw a while back where a fellow made shotgun slugs for non-rifled barrels by drilling a few holes in a piece of hardwood, putting it on a metal plate, and poured the lead in. It's rather surprising, but the wood doesn't really burn, it just chars in contact with the lead - there's no oxygen in the mold, so it just outgasses a little hydrogen/oxygen/nitrogen/water vapor and turns black.

I'll add my 2cents... use a very fine grain hardwood!  The finer the grain, the less your mold would be effected as it charred...

I agree, it'd be sweet to make one on your own, but the guys that do it spend upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars on this equipment to do it right... unless its for a low tolerance application like a muzzle loader... well, I'd start there... they seem to be more "forgiving"