Author Topic: Toilet paper producers must think the general public is DUMB  (Read 6616 times)

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
Toilet paper producers must think the general public is DUMB
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
Ok, I realize that this is not earth shaking news or even really worthy of a posting................but, went to the pantry to pull out a pack of TP this morning. Quilted Northern. Now it is printed in pink and part of the profit goes to the Susan Komen foundation, which as a breast cancer survivor, I always buy pink in October or pretty much any time that it is feasible. Package says 12 double rolls = 24 regular rolls, blah blah, HOWEVER, the dang roll is 1/2 inch shorter than the roll I just took off the roller.  ??? What the heck is that all about?? Did they short the rolls just in the pink packages or are all the rolls gonna be short now? It just stinks that the prices stays the same or increases and the product shrinks.

Same for cans of tuna, many of them have gone to 5 ounces instead of staying at 6 ounces AND the price increased. Don't they know that all the recipes in the world for tuna say to use a 6 ounce can, geez.....................

Ok, I feel better now............no I don't I don't like it when manufacturers poke fun at me by shrinking the product and charging the same money or more.

It is a great big toilet paper tin foil hat conspiracy................... ;)

Just felt the need to rant a bit. I am better now. ;D

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Toilet paper producers must think the general public is DUMB
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
It's a hidden part of the new health care reform.  If the paper isn't as wide, we'll all need smaller butts to use it properly. You'll be forced to exercise to achieve this.  It's geared to help solve America's obesity problem.    :D

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »
It's a hidden part of the new health care reform.  If the paper isn't as wide, we'll all need smaller butts to use it properly. You'll be forced to exercise to achieve this.  It's geared to help solve America's obesity problem.    :D

Thanks for that, I laughed out loud sitting at my desk all alone in my office. ;D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »
And how about potato chips. You open those big bags and there like only 10 chips at the bottom.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
Ok, I feel better now............no I don't I don't like it when manufacturers poke fun at me by shrinking the product and charging the same money or more.

They aren't poking fun of you. They're simply responding to the fact that humans respond in predictable ways.

Marketing studies have found people respond better to $9.99 than $10.00. Rather than change prices higher, they make quantities smaller. Manufactureres and retaielrs are simply responding to the same monetary inflation pressures everyone else is.

Offline Kd5ddo

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:06:11 PM »
Even the girl scout cookied went to smaller boxes and increased the size of the interior packaging AND reducing the count by a few cookies to reduce costs.  Didnt notice a difference until we pulled one out of the freezer and it was a 1/4" shorter... A QUARTER INCH!!!  Who do they think they are?!?! :-P

Offline wookie in the forest

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
Smarter than the average american that 's for sure. I mean how long till the general public figures it out?

Can't blame them though they got to get it while they can, er, while we have the money.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
This has been bugging me all summer. I only shop once a month so the price differences are really noticable, and then when I put on can (or roll  ;) ) next to another, sometimes that's noticable. So, I've been doing some checking in my own pantry and I believe between the smaller packs and the price increase we are looking at about a 20% increase in cost since spring. To me, that's a huge thing!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
Yeah!  What does a 3 pound "can" of coffee weigh now?  It's been going on for quite a while.  Less product, higher price.

ADK Don

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:01:57 AM »
Anyone seen a "half-gallon" of ice cream lately? If it's even "ice cream" anymore it's now 1.5 quarts. A lot of it isn't even "ice cream" anymore, it's a "frozen desert".

As for the toilet paper, I work for a paper producer. Most of our business is making private-label products for all the big stores. (Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target, etc.) We are doing very well right now because most people have switched to private-label products to save some money and that is what we primarily do. The big brand names are struggling now while the store brands are selling more then ever before. We do not have any say in product size or price. Wal-Mart tells us what size rolls they want and we bid on that business based on their specs. If the Wal-mart rolls got smaller it's because they told us to make them smaller. If Target or Wal-Mart makes their rolls smaller then the other will follow suit very soon afterward. It's like the airline pricing, one lowers a price and the others copy it.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:33 PM »
I agree. Its like they think the generall American public is stupid and will not notice that while the price has not changed the quantity of their product has decreased. Ingles has done this with their sugar, Walmart has done this with their oil, and so on, and so on. I have seen this with various products lately. Now toilet paper? Holy $hizah! But remember folks...we are in recovery. The recession is over! There is no inflation. Things are getting better.

What I find cute is that Biden is calling it a Depression.  :D

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 05:13:25 PM »
I am not sure that it is an issue of the intelligence of the general public, of which we are all members.  It would seem that we are all aware of this situation but are currently short of options.  If you notice that the packaging is smaller what do you do? Go without or grumble to yourself while you give them your money.

Good businesses make decisions based on what will bring them the most benefit.  Apparently some decide that a repackaging price increase will bring in more benefit than a price increase alone.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
...Good businesses make decisions based on what will bring them the most benefit.  Apparently some decide that a repackaging price increase will bring in more benefit than a price increase alone.
This is the only way to be. Their costs are generally increasing too. They have to pass it along or perish.

This is no longer necessary due to computer chips in vending machines, but years ago when vending machines were strictly mechanical, it was difficult to change the amount charged for the products in the machine. Every product in the same machine would have the same price.

In candy, back in the good old days, pure cane sugar was the sweetener of choice. Like all commodities, the price of sugar varied. When the price of sugar went up, the size of the candy bar got smaller. When the price went down, they grew again. This allowed vending machine operators from having to change the amount the machine accepted for the product. Competition prevented the size from remaining small, because each manufacturer wanted to give as much value as possible and be profitable to keep you from going to a Nestle chocolate bar from Hershey and so on.

A little simplistic, but basically that was the deal.

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
I noticed this the other day as I went to buy a 5lb bag of sugar. They are pretty rare these days, everyone's gone to 4lb bags of sugar. If you buy the name brand to get 5lb's, you pay about $2 for that last pound...no thanks, I'll take the store brand any day of the week when faced with those choices.

Kara

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
I've noticed this too, but this isn't anything new. I remember back in the early 90's when my kids were babies. One day I went to the store to buy diapers and, lo and behold, there were fewer in the package but the price is the same.  Sometimes I have to walk down the isle where they keep diapers and formula and I always look at the prices on the way by. I don't know how people afford to have babies these days and buy that stuff. I'm guessing that is part and parcel of the reason why breastfeeding and cloth diapers have come back into popularity.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »
I noticed this with bacon two years ago.  All of a sudden, that $2.99 pack of bacon was 12 oz instead of 16.  I've been noticing it more and more.  It seems like each time I buy bread, the loaf is another ounce smaller.  That is why they keep saying the price of consumer goods is not increasing.  It's not but the packaging is shrinking.  I've even noticed with clothing, the materials are of inferior quality compared to a year ago. 

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 03:03:40 PM »
Another change I noticed recently was in frozen chicken breasts. Everyone knows that some come in 2.5 pound as well as 3 pound bags. What I saw the other day was that the "2.5" pound bag was now 2.375 - 1/8 pound less and for more money. These are the bags with the weight printed on them, not the onces that are weighed and labeled individually. Are they really saving that much more eliminating that 1/8 of a pound?

I miss my chicken coop.  :(

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
Back to the topic at hand folks  ;D

Scott's 1000 sheet rolls last forever - the other ones like day or two!  But its not comfy.. :-[

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
Well, yes, Scott does have a huge long roll, but isn't it one ply and I know for sure that it isn't soft on the ole bum!  ;)

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »
Not only that, but it comes in a much lower grit number now; guaranteed to make you.....uncomfortable  >:(

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
All we use is Scotts. I never noticed any problem. But some say I am a hard ass. ;D