Author Topic: On the fringe?  (Read 2146 times)

TheDuke

On the fringe?
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:30:41 AM »
When I was in college I was in charge of taking care of the lab rats when we were on vacations. We fed them some brand of "Rat Chow" that came in pellets about an inch and a half long and about as big around as an average pinky finger.

I remember the Professor talking about how they were made of corn and vitamin powder and that they are edible, and that he knows people that munch on them while feeding the rats. I wonder if these would be good to buy and store in big sealed buckets for emergency rations to take on hunting expeditions for on the go snacks (right out of pocket) or even as bait for game (like rabbits).

Whenever I suggest this to any people that I know that are relatively survival minded, I get that "you're crazy" sideways look... maybe it's concern for my misstep over the razor's edge into tinfoil-hat-wearing craziness.

millerized1

Re: On the fringe?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:00:43 AM »
Just goes to show that the person who WANTS to survive, will find ways of doing so.

I'd check expiration dates and nutritional information, and factor in costs on said products.  IF they store for ungodly amounts of time and have a pretty good nutritional value, and are cost effective then (ME) I would store them....

but...that said, just how much of that original money could have gone into honest to goodness food, instead of rat bait.  Freeze Dried food with it's 20-30yr shelf life has GOT to taste better than rat bait.

(if you've got rats that you're growing for prep protein, then by all means stock them some post-teotwawki chow.)

Of course, my wife says I'll eat damn near anything...my mom says I used to eat dog biscuits and cat food...so...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: On the fringe?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
OK.. I have to post this link now...
http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

It's about a guy that tried to live off of only monkey chow for a week.... It's good reading... And good watching the video diaries.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:44:33 AM by Archer »