Author Topic: Need help asap Afghan  (Read 2959 times)

coffecat

Need help asap Afghan
« on: October 28, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
My 85 yr. old mom gave me afghan in strips to put together.  It is a wide strip of large squares she made and sewed together with yarn.  one strip on each side of rows of small squares she sewed together.  two strips - one for top and bottom of small squares sewn together.  I need to get these together.  I spent 2 nites burying knots and loose ends etc.  Did the best I could using tapestry needle.  I know NOTHING about knitting.  It is all knit.  How do I put these together and do I use Yarn.  I did figure out how to match up the 5 pieces putting knit next to pearl. Joining the stips what kind of "sewing"?  What kind of stitch. Thanx if you can help !!  C.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Need help asap Afghan
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
I have never done a knitted afghan, but on my crocheted afghans, there are two ways to join pieces.

you can sew it together - get a large, dull needle, thread it and sew the pieces together

I prefer crocheting them together - I think it holds better and looks nicer.  basically just a chain stitch through the edges of the pieces

here are a few sites to get you started in finding a better answer:
http://www.needlepointers.com/ShowArticles.aspx?NavID=924
http://www.simplyknitting.co.uk/resources/simplyknitting/eg8.pdf

coffecat

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
You are a big big help !!!  I like the first grafting I saw.  Then I tried to view the kitchener stitch and just laughed.  I actually am going into WV this winter at some point and staying overnite with my newest son-in-law's mother - I know that sounds weird but she is lovely person and can crochet fantastically.  She is going to teach me to crochet.  I do not understand the tutorials at all or print directions.  Now I can put this afghan together !  Many thanks !!  C

coffecat

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:57:41 AM »
Started last nite and it looks nice but is going to take forever !  The knitting is not "loose".  Very hard to match up these squares, especially the small ones, each seam to each seam.  The outside border of this afghan is rough.  Might have to sew blanket binding on all around.  Any suggestions - maybe a good blanket stitch?? C

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »
I do not knit, so I do not have a knitting suggestion for you, but when I do a crochet blanket out of squares, I usually crochet of single crochet around the edges, going around 3 times to help even things up.

and I know what you mean about the difficulty of matching seams.   :)

coffecat

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
It looks pretty good  washed and dried it ouside and then fluff in the dryer.  Turned out pretty well - am not going to hesitate to take a needle and regular matching thread and repair some "interesting" stitches that caused small holes.  One of the wide border pieces had instead of one square knit, one square pearl, had 2 of each side by side.  But only one border.  Oh well, got it done.  Have not decided on final all around border yet.   Thanks for all your help and will take a picture and see if I can get it one here.  C