Author Topic: Is this worth it?  (Read 3851 times)

Aiedz

Is this worth it?
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:15:02 AM »
A buddy from work turned me on to program his church runs. The church owns a cannery and 3 times a year they go and can food for storage. I am not really sure about food prices at all, and i figured that you guys would be the best to ask about it. Here is the price list:

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/121874_Fall2009WE_HomeStoragePriceSheet_pdf.pdf

your thoughts would be of great help

aiedz

endurance

Re: Is this worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »
Those are great prices, probably about a third cheaper than you'd pay retail.

One note, their claim to 30 year shelf life on dry milk is way overstated.  My experience is about five years comfortably, but no way more than ten.  I bought ten cases in 1992 and I drank it exclusively until about 1996, going through about 2/3rds of it.  I'd mix it up the night before, stick it in the refrigerator and in the morning it was ready to drink.  It would last about a week in the refrigerator before starting to sour.  In 1998 I resumed drinking it again, opened a new can and what I found was that after I mixed it, it would go sour in 3-4 days rather than a full week.  I stopped drinking it because of that until post 9/11, when I wanted to try out some of my preps again, so I opened a new can and while it tasted good the next morning, it would be sour in 2-3 days after mixing.  I threw the rest away.

That was my experience, not sure if it's a common one or not or limited just to the brand I purchased.  My storage during some of that time was not ideal, with some pretty serious temperature fluxuations, so that may have played a role, too.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
Those are great prices, probably about a third cheaper than you'd pay retail.

One note, their claim to 30 year shelf life on dry milk is way overstated.  My experience is about five years comfortably, but no way more than ten.  I bought ten cases in 1992 and I drank it exclusively until about 1996, going through about 2/3rds of it.  I'd mix it up the night before, stick it in the refrigerator and in the morning it was ready to drink.  It would last about a week in the refrigerator before starting to sour.  In 1998 I resumed drinking it again, opened a new can and what I found was that after I mixed it, it would go sour in 3-4 days rather than a full week.  I stopped drinking it because of that until post 9/11, when I wanted to try out some of my preps again, so I opened a new can and while it tasted good the next morning, it would be sour in 2-3 days after mixing.  I threw the rest away.

That was my experience, not sure if it's a common one or not or limited just to the brand I purchased.  My storage during some of that time was not ideal, with some pretty serious temperature fluxuations, so that may have played a role, too.

the milk could have been used in baking.  That is my primary dry milk usage.  Maybe cuz I don't drink milk, lol.  seriously though, there is an article I read recently, and I did a search on it:
http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/51562/Home-food-storage-lasts-30-years-or-more.html

Aledz, the LDS family food canneries are a great resource.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has been encouraging food storage for over 80 years, and a lot of research has been done on how and what to store.

endurance

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
Well, I've since restocked, but I plan a much tighter rotation schedule regardless of what the experts say. 

Aiedz

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:27 PM »
Thank you both : ) I am a little put off by church events, but i think i will be making an exception.

endurance

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »
I'm not an organized religion oriented guy, but my experiences with LDS folks have been nothing but positive.  My first wife's family was LDS and they were some of the most decent people I've ever been privilaged enough to meet.  Losing them was a harder blow than losing her.

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
  Losing them was a harder blow than losing her.

Priceless.... :D

I haven't been to one of the LDS canneries yet, but I plan to.  So long as they don't try to proselytize we'll all get out of it alive.  I know the mormons I've known have never tried to push their religion on me.  I worship god in my own way, usually by enjoying the things in life he made for me.  Especially the fermented things.   ;)

-Brian