Author Topic: Solutions From Science  (Read 2866 times)

badbeamer

Solutions From Science
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but I figured since Jack has them as an advertiser now, I'd comment on them.  I ordered the solar generator kit and also their Survival Seed Bank this fall from Solutions from Science  (www.survivalseedbank.com) and (www.mysolarbackup.com).

The Solar Generator is really neat.  It's definitely something we can use camping, just for the hell of it, or in a crisis situation.  The panel is nicely constructed and easy to set up in just a few minutes. It was a LOT of money, but after pricing a couple of places on the web and the ease of use, it was worth it for me.  I am single and female, and most of the time I go the hard route doing the DIY and I just didn't have the time to really dig in and research solar options.  I do craft shows and I thought about using it when I do those in the future. (Vendors camping out the night before OR use it even during the show itself where I normally would pay an extra $25-50 for a booth with power access.)  ;D

After conditioning the battery as the manual suggests, I ran a lamp w/one of those spiral bulbs for about 3 days on it...a regular light bulb at 65 watts drained it in about 8-9 hours.  My usage will most likely be light duty during a power outage for running nebulizers for Respiratory issues, the ability to have a light in the dark, and also run the basic necessities such as a blow dryer, blender, toaster, etc. 

Solar Panel is very light and sturdy.  The battery pack (the generator) is HEAVY!  I lift weights and am in excellent shape, so toting this thing may not be for someone who has a back issue.

I purchased the survival seed bank too! It's in a nice PVC pipe and the packets are nicely packaged inside in mylar bags.  They also email you a link to download a HUGE pdf file about using your seeds in a crisis.  Hence no crisis for me, I can't comment other than how well packaged and also the selection of seeds are really nice and are things that I would actually grow in a larger garden than what I have now. (Very similar to what my grandparents grew when I was a kid!)

That's my 2cents on a review.  If this needs to go elsewhere, please let me know!!