Author Topic: List of survival magazines and some details. Help wanted here.  (Read 23695 times)

Sneak

List of survival magazines and some details. Help wanted here.
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »
I would like to semi-compile a list here and maybe add from your replies and stack them up here if my teeny brain remembers.

This is sort of a must have in mine/your opinion motley assortment.

Here is what I have so far and many of them.
D= In PDF (ebook) or digitized that I have seen (I may have missed some).

*Organic gardening
*Back Home
*Backwoods Home (A must have) (D)? I have a hard copies of most but was able to obtain PDF copies.
*Backwoodsman (A must subscribe to  have)
*Wilderness Way (A must subscribe to have)
*Countryside (A must have)
*Mother Earth News (D)
*Home Power (D)
*Prevention and many Rodale products I like.
*Birds and blooms (my beard is huge and so is my love for birds and bees)

*Poultry, Rabbit and Goat raising magazines (please list some)
*Tractor restoration magazines
*Any other alt energy mags I missed (several)
I leave it like this for now and if I can not edit after this post in a few days than moderator(s) please step in if possible.

We all know that knowledge is power.

New issue out now.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: List of survival magazines and some details. Help wanted here.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
I'll sticky this to the top to see if we can generate some interest.

If you like just post another reply with an updated list, or you can PM a  mod/admin to add to the list you've already created.  We have something like this with survivalist fiction going in The Repository

Maybe if enough people chime in on this thread we can compile it into a comprehensive list like we did the books.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
There's the online magazine Modern Survival written by the original editor of American Survival Guide.

Were you looking for existing/still published mags or ones from the past, or both?

I can also add in Survive! magazine as one of the no-longer published magazines.

The Professor

Sneak

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
It does not matter. I figure this is a long road. Maybe when it's finished (partially) we can add links to subscriptions. These (to me) are like gold coins. I think any gardening books that show veggies will also be in demand, if EMP happens, computerized printing presses and layout grids will be fried! Buy some old production gear for printing if you have money to spare. You just might make some money printing disaster zines with gardening articles. I always liked old press printed books better anyway excluding all our favorites!

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
There's the online magazine Modern Survival written by the original editor of American Survival Guide.

Were you looking for existing/still published mags or ones from the past, or both?

I can also add in Survive! magazine as one of the no-longer published magazines.

The Professor

I was about to mention American Survival Guide. Is that magazine still around? Or has Modern Survival taken it's place?

Offline Crimson Wolf

• BANNED
  • Survivor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
ASG became Preparedness Guide or some such and went toes up soon afterward.

Modern Survival is put of by the editor of ASG, if I recall correctly.

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
I've heard that the late Mel Tappan's wife Nancy is going to return to doing a survival periodical, but I don't recall where I heard the information and can't find a link.  Mel Tappan is something of a "grandfather" of the modern preparedness movement, so it would be interesting to see what results from his wife's efforts, and I apologize that I don't have a link to share.  :-[

Offline dustyz

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:45:31 AM »
I know this was posted a bit ago, but I've just started my search for a better magazine subscription.

Right now, we only get Mother Earth News. As good as some of the articles are, they tend to be a little bold or indirectly related to our small goals. I want a magazine that focuses more on small objectives in more detail, and less on the vague final picture. A magazine that really breaks things down, and doesn't try to explain how to "build a home for $10,000" in 3 pages.

Preservation, rainwater harvesting, simple lost homesteading skill-sets, raising small livestock, gardening, etc.

Which would you recommend? Backwoods Home looks interesting outta the list you posted...

Thanks!

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »
Preservation, rainwater harvesting, simple lost homesteading skill-sets, raising small livestock, gardening, etc.

Which would you recommend? Backwoods Home looks interesting outta the list you posted...

Thanks!

You got it!  For homesteading, Backwoods Home Magazine is tops for me.  Been a subscriber for over 10 years now and haven't seen anything that is as well rounded and as a bonus, we hold a lot of the same views/values.

Offline Mullers Lane Farm

• Survivor
    • Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »
I'd like to add the magazines:

Small Farmer's Journal

Rural Heritage

These are magazines geared toward animal power.

endurance

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned it before now, but Ron Hood's new magazine Survival Q Magazine is out now (three issues so far) and looks great.  I just got my first issue a couple weeks ago and it's well put together and even has articles by Jack every issue.  Interesting format, too.  Every issue covers one topic in depth.  I think the first one was Fire, the next was Shelter, then Water, etc. with a variety of experts putting their spin on the topic.  Reminds me some of the early ASG.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:08:48 PM »
I like Backwoods Home and BackHome but I have a very strong bias.   ;)

J

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:04:34 AM »
Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned it before now, but Ron Hood's new magazine Survival Q Magazine is out now (three issues so far) and looks great.  I just got my first issue a couple weeks ago and it's well put together and even has articles by Jack every issue.  Interesting format, too.  Every issue covers one topic in depth.  I think the first one was Fire, the next was Shelter, then Water, etc. with a variety of experts putting their spin on the topic.  Reminds me some of the early ASG.
Ron has stated the the latest issue of SQ has just gone to the printers and should begin getting into our hands the middle of Sept. This is the Survival Kis issue and should be the best one yet!

Offline goathollerguy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »
Countryside is still my favorite but BackHome and Backwoods Home are close 2ds. But just Googliong and Binging my current interested topic really makes them less valuable except I like print over computer screen.

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
Grit

Pioneer living

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »
I would have to argue that the BEST magazine available today is the Small Farmer's Journal.  It's a quarterly publication that costs $37/yr and is filled with tons of great stories and helpful information about running a small farm.  The Spring Issue is out now, and you can buy back issues. . . .  Click on the links I included to see if it's right for you.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:49:46 AM by nelson96 »

Offline Prepper Press

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Prepper Press
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
A lot of magazines have been, and are being, replaced by blog-type sites (for better or worse).

PP

Offline skorpionsting

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
self reliance illustrated magazine and digital versions available

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
Urban farm magazine.  www.urbanfarmonline.com   Lots of good info on gardening and raising small livestock.

edit: archer: changed to link
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:31:42 AM by Archer »

Offline DanielBoone

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline tc556guy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
It does not matter. I figure this is a long road. Maybe when it's finished (partially) we can add links to subscriptions. These (to me) are like gold coins. I think any gardening books that show veggies will also be in demand, if EMP happens, computerized printing presses and layout grids will be fried! Buy some old production gear for printing if you have money to spare. You just might make some money printing disaster zines with gardening articles. I always liked old press printed books better anyway excluding all our favorites!

Old thread but if OPs still around and has digital copies I'd like to get copies and will send along copies of stuff I have digitized myself