Author Topic: New to reloading. Is this a good way to start?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
New to reloading. Is this a good way to start?
« on: August 25, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »
I've never reloaded, but after listening to Jack for the past 9 months, decided to give it a try.  I have a buddy that is getting rid of a bunch of stuff from his wife's family. 

Here's the goods:
2 Mayville Engineering CO, Inc (MEC) 650 5 station presses (for shotgun),
2 RCBS - Rock Chucker Supreme single stage presses (for pistol or rifle),
I also have 1500 shot shell primers, a boat load of shot, powder, shells, wads...

He wants to trade for 20 ga autoloader for his son (~$400). 

It seems like a good deal, except the MEB 650's are .410 and 28 gauge.  I don't shoot either, and from what I've read, it's hard to convert these to 12 ga..

I plan on mostly reloading rifle and pistol, but would like to have a shotgun shell press, too.  My thoughts are to to make the deal and then trade or sell the two MEC reloaders and get a 12 ga.

Should I go ahead and make the trade, or just buy a starter kit for the rifle/pistol reloading and let him sell this to someone else? 

Any and all thoughts and input are welcome.

Offline Craig67

• Prepper
Re: New to reloading. Is this a good way to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
The Rockchucker is an excellent press and RCBS has good customer service in case you do manage to break something. Its great for loading precision rifle ammo but pretty slow for pistol ammo. You would want a turret or progressive press for pistol ammo.

Reloading shotshells (Birdshot) is not economical, bulk from Wamart is cheaper. You can save on buck and slugs, but be prepared to cast your own slugs. Lee makes a slug mold that is pretty inexpensive.

HTH,

Craig

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:57:58 AM »
If you can sell the 2 MEC's and unneeded extras for $200 then it's a good deal.

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I think I'll take the stuff and sell the MEC's.  I'll look at a progressive for pistol ammo. It should be simple since I shoot mostly 9mm and will want to reload .357 and 38 special once in a while.

Offline kernal_panic

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »
I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

Buy a lee classic turret press. Its a semi progressive machine. you can use it like a single stage press when you are still learning how to reload but in full operation you can do 200 rounds an hour on it.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »
Did you get the .410 press? I have been looking for one for awhile now. Send me a note if you did. I may even have a spare 12 ga loader to trade ya.
RipT

Offline ubergeek

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Numquam non paratus
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
Sounds like a pretty decent trade to me, one that I would probably take. Sounds like you also might already have some interest in the 410 loader too.

I have a RCBS Rock Crusher supreme and it's a great press, although pretty slow. I pretty much use it for processing brass and precision work. I use a Dillon 650 to reload most of the other stuff I shoot in high quantity, like 9mm, 45 acp and .223.

Sounds like you're getting a good setup to get started with.