Author Topic: Challenge Coins  (Read 23096 times)

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
Re: Challenge Coins
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
madcap - they would use the same die for both coins, but it won't look the same (because the silver coins won't have color added to them).  Also, the option may be there eventually, but not right off the bat.  3 people telling me that they might be up for "a" silver coin doesn't justify the expense that it would be to make 50 or 100 (or more), when you consider that a hundred (or more) people said that they wanted t-shirts, and the t-shirts are not selling.  At all.

Now that is a concept ;)

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 04:32:51 PM »
Sis - I hear ya!

Its always a small percentage of those expressing interest, who actually pull the trigger and become purchasers... Disappointing, but the way of the world. TShirts, Silver coinage, RSVPing to my holiday party this year (and every other.)

Do what you think is right, and please do not misinterpret my chiming in trying to be helpful, with second guessing you, nor a lack of gratitude and appreciation for the incredible amount of effort you put into this initiative (amongst your many others here!)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »
Do what you think is right, and please do not misinterpret my chiming in trying to be helpful, with second guessing you, nor a lack of gratitude and appreciation for the incredible amount of effort you put into this initiative (amongst your many others here!)

Heck no, I don't see anything you say as a lack of gratitude, or whatever.

I guess I was just kind of being irritated that so few people are buying tees.  But maybe they'll buy the MSB tees.  They seem to like those more anyhow.  Maybe if I put an ant on them, more people will fall in love.  :D

As for the silver coins - I REALLY want to do this.  REALLY.  Let's see how the challenge coins do, and if they work out, then after a few weeks, I'll put an order in for silver coins.  Sound fair?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
Heck - I guess if nothing else, I'll end up with lots of extra silver in my collection, right?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »
If you do pull the trigger on silver coins, hopefully it will be trading at a low when you purchase the blanks.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I hope so too.  I'll keep an eye on silver prices.

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »
Heck no, I don't see anything you say as a lack of gratitude, or whatever.

I guess I was just kind of being irritated that so few people are buying tees.  But maybe they'll buy the MSB tees.  They seem to like those more anyhow.  Maybe if I put an ant on them, more people will fall in love.  :D

As for the silver coins - I REALLY want to do this.  REALLY.  Let's see how the challenge coins do, and if they work out, then after a few weeks, I'll put an order in for silver coins.  Sound fair?

Good call on the ANT ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:05 PM »
Oh for goodness sakes!!! You people are all ant crazy!

If I put an ant on the sleeve of the regular TSP t-shirt (the one that's in the store now), will you guys buy it?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »
Heck, while I'm at it, I may as well put an ant on the MSB t-shirt sleeve (the one opposite the "MSB" sleeve).

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 07:47:32 PM »
Can we have sheeple on it somewhere with a big slash mark through it? J/k. :D

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:36 PM »
Why would you ban sheeple?

They make such great postapocalyptic compost!

I'm waiting for the official post-apocalyptic TSP cardboard sign.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »

Concept art presented as a visual aid for future product planning. All rights reserved, (c) OrionBlade 2009

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2009, 09:14:48 AM »
Concept art presented as a visual aid for future product planning. All rights reserved, (c) OrionBlade 2009

I like it.  Inexpensive cost of raw materials.  Easy to find workers experienced in production of similar items.  Obvious value as a collectible.  Brilliant!

;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
I just got a PM regarding the challenge coins asking why we don't have a contest for art submission where we let you guys create the design for the coins.  The answer to this is no.  Not happening for 2 reasons:

1. We arent paying royalties to an artist.
2. We aren't interested in getting sued over the rights to the design down the road.

If you hate the challenge coin design, that's fine.  Maybe there is something we can do to change it.  But in the mean time, all art needs to be produced by us.

PS- orion, this has nothing to do with your joke.  It is a complete coincidence that your post is right there above this one.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »
Understood. I've dealt with IP rights before, and I'm a coniving SOB when I need to be. I hereby relenquish all rights to cardboard signage herein depicted to the public domain for all commercial and non-commercial uses, public and private.

I do have to warn you all, however, that I am the originator of "cosmic synch" so if I post about something that you're dealing with and it seems like a coincidence, be wary - end times are near!!!

:-p

I would, however, like to offer at some point to cast an oversized version for you. Since it's already your artwork, it would be simple as hell to do a transparency transfer to wax, carve it out by hand, and cast a big version of the medallion if y'all ever do an awards thing like for dirt time or something. I'm still trying to build my portfolio, so something pretty (done at metal cost) on my website is worth more than 80 bucks in my pocket for an hour's worth of work. My buddy and I have some experience with plating, so it would be pretty simple to do gold/silver/bronze too!

Just a heads up, though, when I post an idea here, unless I note it IN the post, consider it public domain, and feel free to copy it and improve - I'm very open source about most everything I work on. I'm a consultant - I don't make things, I just make 'em better ;-) (usually with a hammer...)

Orion

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »
Understood. I've dealt with IP rights before, and I'm a coniving SOB when I need to be. I hereby relenquish all rights to cardboard signage herein depicted to the public domain for all commercial and non-commercial uses, public and private.

LOL!!!  You are so gracious.  :D

I would, however, like to offer at some point to cast an oversized version for you. Since it's already your artwork, it would be simple as hell to do a transparency transfer to wax, carve it out by hand, and cast a big version of the medallion if y'all ever do an awards thing like for dirt time or something. I'm still trying to build my portfolio, so something pretty (done at metal cost) on my website is worth more than 80 bucks in my pocket for an hour's worth of work. My buddy and I have some experience with plating, so it would be pretty simple to do gold/silver/bronze too!

We may take you up on that, but if we do, we will insist that you charge more than just the metal cost.  Can't be exploiting our members.  That would be kind of awful.

We'll talk about it later.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 09:08:50 AM »
Ok, ok ok, you can pay for shipping too...

:-p

Or I can cover shipping and the ladies of the board can take advantage of me...

;D

Offline Artos

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Ride life bareback
    • CPT Caveman's Cave
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
This is the one we had struck for our company coin.  The artwork was done by one of my soldiers.  Im sure he would be happy to do a concept for a 4 day pass...which I just happen to be able to grant...

Another option for something would be a custom poker chip.  We got those from the MND-N deputy commander in lieu of coins for our work in Balad Ruz. 

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »
Nice CPT CAVEMAN!

TW

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Vurruh Pretteh.

Vurruh Pretteh indeed.

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
love it, normally we get our coins doen in mass and sell em at $5 a peice - but our squadron subsidizes a portion of it and we don't turn any profit.
front looks stellar, ant on the compass rose on the back works for me. Work on a "1 for $10, 3 for $20" deal and you'll probably get more takers.

zendog

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
Wow!  The challenge coin looks great.  I have always been a fan of these for causes and events.  I also loved the idea of an ant on the reverse side.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 01:16:16 PM »
Prepper Saint - Yeah, they're a little more than that for us, but then the dies (dyes?) cost a lot to have created on top of the individual coin price.  Believe me, we aren't trying to hurt anybody (and we want them to sell).  We're still talking about prices.

Zendog - Thank you!  I'll work on a better ant today and tomorrow.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
I'll probably order a couple at that price when you post the final design.

I'll keep one and put one in a level five geocache.

;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
I'll probably order a couple at that price when you post the final design.

I'll keep one and put one in a level five geocache.

;D

LOL!  We haven't decided on prices yet.  They will probably NOT be 3 for $20.  We'll figure it out, though.  We'll do something good for you guys for very reasonable prices.  :)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
Have you thought about plastic poker chips imprinted with the same or similar design?

I'm thinking that would be a KICK ASS giveaway item that we could order five or ten of each, and pass out at events/functions when we run into someone that is interested in prepping.

Also, along the same lines, what would the rules be about having some vistaprint cards printed up as giveaways?

Think y'all could toss together an approved design with the website/forum address on it? I'm putting a link up on my blogs, but a physical card would be much better for "hey, man, if your'e into backpacking and all that... check this site out!"

Just a thought.

Maybe even toss some of the sponsors links on the back too :-p

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2009, 01:22:50 PM »
Have you thought about plastic poker chips imprinted with the same or similar design?

I'm thinking that would be a KICK ASS giveaway item that we could order five or ten of each, and pass out at events/functions when we run into someone that is interested in prepping.

Also, along the same lines, what would the rules be about having some vistaprint cards printed up as giveaways?

Think y'all could toss together an approved design with the website/forum address on it? I'm putting a link up on my blogs, but a physical card would be much better for "hey, man, if your'e into backpacking and all that... check this site out!"

Just a thought.

Maybe even toss some of the sponsors links on the back too :-p

I thought about it, then dismissed it.  Now I'm thinking about it again.  I'll seriously consider it, if you guys really want poker chips.

As for the card, you're welcome to print out your own cards for free (or whatever ink and business card paper costs).  there's a thread about that somewhere here on the board where we tossed some ideas around.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
Ant head coin:

better?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 08:34:09 PM »
sept... now he sorta looks like a kitty cat... with shovel ears and whiskers.  *sigh*

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
Shiny!

I think it needs some minor tweaks to be a good coin design.  Like, the spades should be clearly behind the head (i.e. not raised as high from the background).  (So that he doesn't become a kitty cat.)  Also, I'm not sure about the fine outlining especially around the antennae -- that may be too thin to be minted.  Check with your coin guy about how thin the thinnest features can be.

But it's a very cool design.