Author Topic: Challenge Coins  (Read 25439 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Challenge Coins
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2009, 07:52:05 PM »
You guys are too much.  ^_^

Truik, I was told the size of the coins, and I've quite honestly completely forgotten what it was.  I'll let you know tomorrow after I talk to the coin dude.  :)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:18 PM »
Awesome. The coin looks great.

Post a link when you get the pre-order going!

Thanks.

:)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
Awesome. The coin looks great.

Post a link when you get the pre-order going!

Thanks.

:)

I thought I had the price set, but hang on just a tick.  We're debating civilly on the matter.  Shouldn't be more than a few minutes before we get it situated.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2009, 08:50:17 PM »
Tick...Tick...Tick

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
LOL!  OKAY okay okay.  They're AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER!

They are 2" coins (I just went through my old emails to check the size), antiqued copper (or was it bronze?  Dang it, I forget now...) and we're selling them for $8.00 a piece.  You can find them here: http://survivalpodcast.net/store/coins.html

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
$8.00 each?!

I ordered three.

That's awesome.

Thanks!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2009, 09:02:50 PM »
It's just about what they cost us with shipping.  It really ain't all about the benjamins here.  :)  Thank you for your order!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
You could have sold them for $10 each and it still would have been a great deal.

I would consider giving yourself a decent profit margin. Of course, I can say that having already ordered mine.

;D

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »
You could have sold them for $10 each and it still would have been a great deal.

I would consider giving yourself a decent profit margin. Of course, I can say that having already ordered mine.

Dido. I just ordered 2 and will likely order a couple more at a later date, but for now, I couldn't wait to put my order in. I couldn't believe that they are going for only $8. Who knows. Maybe you could have them pre-ordered for a period of time at this price, then raise the price later as a promotional deal. Thanks for getting them through so fast. I couldn't believe it when I looked and they were already available when you had finalized the design only a few minutes earlier.
THANKS!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »
Just available for pre-order, mind you, darlin'.  I won't have these in my little fingers until the beginning of February.

THANK YOU for helping me get the design finished.  It's forum members like you two that make this whole damn thing worth while.

But you should understand - this isn't about profit-margin.  In the long run, we'd very much like to make this our life (since TSP is already our family).  But for now?  This is about making dang sure that there is a couple available (TW and I) who are capable of giving the forum members what they want, and making sure that the products don't come from, like, Tijuana or whatever.  :)

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
Well, my American-made challenge coins already have plans (even though they won't be here for a few weeks or more).

One of them is going to be a prize for the FTF (first to find) in a geocache I am going to make with a TSP theme.

The 2nd one is going to a buddy of mine.

The third one is mine! All mine!

So, what are you guys doing with YOUR challenge coins? Stocking stuffers? shotglass coasters?

Hey! Do we have TSP shot glasses?!

(Sorry. I must have had that planted in the back of my head when you said "Tiajauna".)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »
Well, my American-made challenge coins already have plans (even though they won't be here for a few weeks or more).

One of them is going to be a prize for the FTF (first to find) in a geocache I am going to make with a TSP theme.

The 2nd one is going to a buddy of mine.

The third one is mine! All mine!

So, what are you guys doing with YOUR challenge coins? Stocking stuffers? shotglass coasters?

Hey! Do we have TSP shot glasses?!

(Sorry. I must have had that planted in the back of my head when you said "Tiajauna".)

I highly doubt they'll be stocking stuffers, since we won't have them till February.  :D  But hell, if y'all wanna stuff, like, valentines stockings with challenge coins, GO FOR IT.  ;D

No - we don't have TSP shot glasses.  God only knows we don't need MORE motivation to drink.  :D :D :D

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2009, 08:04:34 AM »
Just preordered a couple for me!!! They look awesome SW!

Offline RadioKrafter

• Prepper
  • Get Lost, We'll Find You...
The History of the Challenge Coin
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
Very cool idea on the TSP Challenge Coin as well as an offer of kudos to all the hard work which went into it.

Challenge Coins have special meaning and a place in military history that all may not be aware of.  The origin of the Challenge Coin have dates back to WWI.  There is also specific protocol as to their use.  While I don't always carry my Command coin, I make darn sure that sure on several military social occasions such as "wetting downs," and "dining outs" its in my pocket.  Its fun to initiate a coin check and just a fun to hold yours up if someone else initiates one.

Enjoy the History of the Challenge Coin

RadioKrafter

------

During World War I, American volunteers from all parts of the country filled the newly formed flying squadrons. Some were wealthy scions attending colleges such as Yale and Harvard who quit in mid-term to join the war. In one squadron a wealthy lieutenant ordered medallions struck in solid bronze carrying the squadron emblem for every member of his squadron. He himself carried his medallion in small leather pouch around his neck.

Shortly after acquiring the medallions, the pilot's aircraft was severely damaged by ground fire. He was force to land behind enemy lines and was immediately captured by a German patrol. In order to discourage his escape, the Germans took all of his personal identification except for the small leather pouch around his neck. In the meantime, he was taken to a small French town near the front. Taking advantage of a bombardment that night, he escaped. However, he was without personal identification.

He succeeded in avoiding German patrols and reached the front lines. With great difficulty, he crossed no-man's land. Eventually, he stumbled onto a French outpost. Unfortunately, the French in this sector had been plagued by saboteurs. They sometimes masqueraded as civilians and wore civilian clothes. Not recognizing the young pilot's American accent, the French thought him a saboteur and made ready to execute him. Just in time, he remembered his leather pouch containing the medallion. He showed the medallion to his would-be executioners. His French captors recognized the squadron insignia on the medallion and delayed long enough for him to confirm his identity. Instead of shooting him, they gave him a bottle of wine.

Back at his squadron, it became a tradition to ensure that all members carried their medallion or coin at all times. This was accomplished through a challenge in the following manner: a challenger would ask to see the coin. If the challenged could not produce his coin, he was required to buy a drink of choice for the member who challenged him. If the challenged member produced his coin, the challenging member was required to pay for the drink. This tradition continued throughout the war and for many years after while surviving members of the squadron were still alive.

The fighting men and women of the 48th Intelligence Squadron proudly continue this tradition.

A 'Coin Check' consists of a challenge and a response.

1. RULES:

a. The challenge is initiated by drawing your coin, holding it in the air by whatever means possible and state, scream, shout or otherwise verbally acknowledge that you are initiating a coin check. Another, but less vocal method is to firmly place it on the bar, table, Or floor (this should produce an audible noise which can be easily heard by those being challenged, but try not to leave a permanent imprint). If you accidentally drop your coin and it makes an audible sound upon impact, then you have just "accidentally" initiated a coin check. (This is called paying the price for improper care of your coin."
b. The response consists of all those persons being challenged drawing their coin in a like manner (other organizational coins are invalid). You must produce a coin with YOUR UNIT'S LOGO on it.
c. If you are challenged and are unable to properly respond, you must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and the group being challenged.
d. If everyone being challenged responds in the correct manner, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for all those people he challenged.
e. Failure to buy a round is a despicable crime and will require that you turn-in your Coin to the issuing agency.

2. Coin checks are permitted, ANY TIME, ANY PLACE'. (Keep OPSEC in mind, be smart!)

3. There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to those clothed or unclothed. At the time of the challenge you are permitted one step and an arms reach to locate your coin. If you still cannot reach it -- SORRY ABOUT THAT!

4. A Coin is a coin. Coins attached on belt buckles are considered "belt buckles." Coins on key chains are considered "key chains." Coins placed in a "holder/clasp" and worn around the neck like a necklace are valid and are considered a coin.

(IN THE MEAN TIME, BUY A ROUND, YOU CHEAP SKATE).

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:17:00 AM by RadioKrafter »

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2009, 08:36:52 AM »
Just available for pre-order, mind you, darlin'.  I won't have these in my little fingers until the beginning of February.

I can wait until February to have the privilege of carrying one on me at all times. It will be a well designed constant reminder of the way of the modern survivalist. The other will probably be put up somewhere in my house for all to see. Who knows, it could start some interesting meaningful conversations. I could impress people with my extensive knowledge of Latin (which consists of two phrases now).

COGITO ERGO SUM FORMICA!
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
Re: The History of the Challenge Coin
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
Very cool idea on the TSP Challenge Coin as well as an offer of kudos to all the hard work which went into it.

Challenge Coins have special meaning and a place in military history that all may not be aware of. 

Thanks!  :)  I read that history when we first started talking about challenge coins.  I was hooked as soon as I read it.  It's a fantastic way to "prove" loyalties.  :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
Alright guys, just got off the phone with the coin guy.  He wants to make a few changes to the coins (VERY cool changes).  Nothing major is changing, and nothing is being deleted.  I'll show you guys the final artwork (from THEIR art department) at the end of next week, when I get it.

The coins, however, are ordered.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fred_47460

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2009, 01:26:31 PM »
I guess I was just kind of being irritated that so few people are buying tees.  But maybe they'll buy the MSB tees.  They seem to like those more anyhow.  Maybe if I put an ant on them, more people will fall in love.  :D

Those shirts are for midgets......I'm "3XL Tall"

As for the silver coins - I REALLY want to do this.  REALLY.  Let's see how the challenge coins do, and if they work out, then after a few weeks, I'll put an order in for silver coins.  Sound fair?

I'd love a silver....or a Gold challenge coin. I'd actually carry the thing with me daily.
However, I know you're probably going crazy with all the folks saying "I want this", or "I want that". It's a big task getting something like this up and running on a limited budget. Thanks for your efforts....this is gonna be really cool....I would suggest, however, that for the immediate future you cut your hair VERY short.....it'll be harder to grip when you're wanting to pull your hair out! ;D

Fred

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
Alright guys, just got off the phone with the coin guy.  He wants to make a few changes to the coins (VERY cool changes).  Nothing major is changing, and nothing is being deleted.  I'll show you guys the final artwork (from THEIR art department) at the end of next week, when I get it.

The coins, however, are ordered.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited to see what they will look like.
Thanks again for everything!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
*sigh*  Okay.  I have (HAVE) to raise the price to $9 a coin (otherwise we'll be paying you to take the coins).  This has nothing to do with me playing games or any of that nonsense.  This is our coin producers going, "um.. you added color to the other side.  That costs a dollar more per coin."

I'm sorry, guys and gals.

Those of you who have already ordered coins, THANK YOU.  Your pricing will not be changed by us.  But from here on out - they're 9 bucks a coin.

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »
$9 is a good compromise between $8 and $10. I certainly wouldn't want you to be loosing money on this. I hope they sell like wildfire.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
We just added a deal where if you buy 6 of them, you get $5 off, and if you buy 10 you get 10 bucks off.

We also just added another special deal.  I started a thread about it here on the TSP Gear shop board.  Go check it out!

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2009, 04:05:49 PM »
Those of you who have already ordered coins, THANK YOU.  Your pricing will not be changed by us.  But from here on out - they're 9 bucks a coin.

I'm sure I'll be getting a few more in the future and that's still a great deal for challenge coins.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
It means "I think, therefore I am an ant"

My wife confirms your Latin is correct.  :)

Hey, with the bigger font, could you get that apostrophe in "DON'T"?  Because I know your supplier wants more last-minute changes.  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »
My wife confirms your Latin is correct.  :)

Hey, with the bigger font, could you get that apostrophe in "DON'T"?  Because I know your supplier wants more last-minute changes.  ;)

Your wife is awesome.  :)  But then, we knew that.

I don't know if I can get the apostraphe in "don't" - because the font is so much smaller (to fit all the words), but I'll press him and see what I come up with.  There are going to be a few additions to the coin as well, which I'm super excited about, but I don't want to spoil them by trying to render what he told me, just in case it doesn't look the same way when their art department finishes with it.

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2010, 04:24:04 PM »
I was a good little boy, and used some of my christmas money and got 6 coins ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:41 PM »
The Challenge Coins are SOLD OUT!

I think I'm going to lose my way over the price when the next batch comes out.  Seems these won't quite cover the fees, and would never pay back the die costs.

Don't expect the price to go up MUCH.  But it will go up next time around.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
The Challenge Coins are SOLD OUT!

I think I'm going to lose my way over the price when the next batch comes out.  Seems these won't quite cover the fees, and would never pay back the die costs.

Don't expect the price to go up MUCH.  But it will go up next time around.

That is AWESOME, Sis!

You do have a great coin design. And you should definitely raise the price to make sure you are definitely covering ALL your costs and still making a decent bit of the "other" type of coin for yourself as well.

I will be ordering some more when I receive my original order and see how the final design came out.

Are the "package" deals still good? What was it...six or more?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Are the "package" deals still good? What was it...six or more?

I don't know...  Probably some kind of discount for bulk orders will apply.  :)

Offline oscar.45

• Prepper
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
I went to order some coins today and I see their sold out  >:(.  For all of you who got them I hope you enjoy them :D

Will there be a second run or something new for the future?

Jerry