Author Topic: Uses for plastic and metal coffee containers  (Read 19230 times)

Offline JJM

• Prepper
Uses for plastic and metal coffee containers
« on: November 04, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »
I was wondering what uses folks have come up with for those coffee containers.  I've got some in the garage with various fasteners and nails.  Any other good uses?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Uses for plastic and metal coffee containers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
Good question... I, too, have an abundance of them with (as yet) undetermined usefulness...

Stop by the intro thread and tell us about yourself when you get the chance...  welcome to the forum!

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
I use the plastic containers as scoops for sweet feed and dog food. The handle works well. I also re-use them for reducing my 25lb bags of sugar and other dried goods into more manageable sizes (they sell sugar in them too).

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
vicious,

Have you used the coffee containers for sugar, etc.? I would think it might be difficult to get the coffee smell/taste out of the plastic containers...

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »
I have a bunch of them that I use to store brass (cartridge cases) in various calibers and in various stages of preparation.

For instance, in .223 -

one for brass just home from the range
one for brass that's been cleaned
one for brass that's been resized and deprimed
one for brass that's been cleaned again after resizing
one for brass that's been trimmed, deburred, chamfered, primer pockets cleaned
one for brass that's been primed and is ready to reload

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Metal cans can be used for hiking redneck cooking pots, "mini" buckets, and anythign that might otherwise melt plastick.

the plastic ones I fill with a mixture of vinnegar and water for a few days then a mixture of water and baking soda for a few days ((repeat if coffe smells remains)) then I just wash them after that and use them for storage of odd items (i have a few filled with grass seed, a few filled with milorganite )

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:33 PM »
I have used the coffee ones for both sugar and flour. I must admit, the first time I filled them I could still smell the coffee, but as of now I just smell what's in them. I never did notice any taste transfer, but I'm not overly sensitive to tastes. The wife and kids haven't had any issues either. I really like having the ability to break down to useable sizes and keep them lidded containers. Of course,YMMV.

vicious,

Have you used the coffee containers for sugar, etc.? I would think it might be difficult to get the coffee smell/taste out of the plastic containers...

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:15:16 PM »
I have used the coffee ones for both sugar and flour. I must admit, the first time I filled them I could still smell the coffee, but as of now I just smell what's in them. I never did notice any taste transfer, but I'm not overly sensitive to tastes. The wife and kids haven't had any issues either. I really like having the ability to break down to useable sizes and keep them lidded containers. Of course,YMMV.

I like the useable size for sugar storage as well.
I put a large freezer bag in before adding the sugar. That way I have a double seal. If I ever start using Mylar and vacuum I'll do it that way.

I also use my old coffee cans to start seeds. I poke a hole in the bottom for drainage.
The plastic lids are handy for mixing some kinds of epoxy on because most of the time the epoxy will peal off after it dries. Also you can cut a little paddle or squeegee from the lids to mix and apply the epoxy.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Great ideas... Thanks! I'll try the vinegar and then soda mixtures...

sarahluker

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
I use them for storing sewing items, craft items etc.  The plastic frosting containers are really great for this.  You can also use them for gift containers.  Take the tags off and use some ribbon and maybe cover the lid with scrap paper.   The larger ones are good as canisters for the pantry.

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:29:24 PM »
get a can opener that makes the triangle shapped holes for like juces and things, put as many as you can in a can and get a heater candle put it under it and you have a stove.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
In a similar vein, I've used them cut down as cheap/disposable coal savers in my forge - lets you build a taller pile of coals over the tuyere (tweer) instead of having a monster huge pile. Good for getting higher temps without building a bigger fire - just gets taller and forces the air blast straight up through the coals.

Also not bad with a bunch of holes punched in the bottom and sides for a charcoal starter - toss a newspaper donut in the bottom with a dash of lighter fluid, put a handful or two of charcoal on top, then light through the holes in the bottom/side. Let it sit for a bit and flame out, and toss some more charcoal on top. Once it's nice and crackly/glowing, throw it on the forge or into the grill.

I've used the same can but forewent the transfer to the grill, and cooked two hamburgers on top with an old toaster oven rack as the grilling "surface". Worked great, and lasted for three or four uses with hot dogs and the like.

I have a can that I use right now as a small drop-quench tub - it's shallow enough that you can reach in with a hand to pick out the parts when they're cool, whereas my large wash tub tends to get charcoal dust and ash in the bottom, along with pollen, leaves, and critters.

Also for blacksmtihs, the smaller metal cans with plastic lids work well for borax (welding flux) and the larger cans with snap-on plastic lids, but metal bodies, work great for storing metal parts with a spritz of oil that would normally eat through a plastic baggie or gum up the plastic containers.

YMMV.

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:56:25 PM »
We use ours for feed and water for the dog.

Also, they make great "slop" cans.

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
plastic ones i have filled half way with sand and use as outside ashtrays. Metal ones i have used as a camp stove and a candle. I also use both in the garage for storage of small items. I have been using mason jars in the same fashion, both in the garage and in my house.

The mason jars are really helping me with my organization. Instead of all my random stuff thrown into a drawer, i have a special mason jar for everything. one for pens, one for pencils, one for tacs, gum, matches, you get the point.

-newb<--------<----------
                                     \
                                      ------<-----------Robin Lee Patton

Offline TigerDragon

• Prepper
  • Observation, Awareness, Planning, Action
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
http://www.zoellerforge.com/coffee.html Could be a fun project for the metal ones :)

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »
http://www.zoellerforge.com/coffee.html Could be a fun project for the metal ones :)
+1 great DIY I book marked that!
 8)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Those work great! Perfect for heat treating or forging small items. Great for jewelry. I have one made from a soup can too.

I just thought of something - you could use the large plastic ones for washing a change of clothes! Socks and undies, a few drops of soap, and half-fill it with water. Leave it to roll around in the back of the car, or just give it a good shake, and you're set. Not sure if a pair of jeans would even fit, but it's not half bad for delicates ;-)

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 07:07:52 PM »
Squirt some great stuff foam into one and and a loop to hang from a tree - makes a great archery target.   Yea they hold brass also

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
We use metal coffee cans for
-scoops for chicken feed
-change:  pennies in one can, other coins in another can
-holding twisties for plastic garbage bags
-holding paintbrushes
-various small hardware items

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Squirt some great stuff foam into one and and a loop to hang from a tree - makes a great archery target.   Yea they hold brass also

Dewd.

Yer a freakin' genius!

+1

Offline DaneBerg

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
Metal coffee cans and the bigger whole tomato cans can be used in your garden to keep the roots of plants with evasive roots, like the mint, from taking over your garden.
Take the can and drill 6 1/8" holes in the bottom of the can. Fill it with your soil and put your mint plant into the can, pack the dirt down on it and when you plant the plant into your garden, put the top of it only up to about 1/8 - 1/4" above the top of the soil. When you water it, water will still drain, but the root ball will remain within the mint plant. If your plant ever gets huge, you can pull the can out, trim the root system or split it for a second plant, and put it back in the ground.

Smaller soup cans as well as yogurt containers also make excellent seed starting cups for your survival vegetable garden in preparation before the last freeze in your area.

Cheers,
DaneBerg

Offline ExZ

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »
As a concrete filled weight?

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
i use the plastic ones with handles to keep a few pounds of rock salt and Sand outside the front and back door incase of ice. works ok for use as throw away paint can when doing trim or touchup with a brush

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
I've found that the plastic containers from weight-gain/weight-loss/muscle-builder powders are great for dry goods storage.  They are usually of decent size, yet small enough to be easily handled.  I buy a lot of dry goods in bulk and then repackage into these containers.

Just let some of your friends that use this stuff know that you need them. Maybe they'll ditch the habit of throwing the containers away.  Who knows, they might even get on board with the idea of re-using them for food storage...and there you have it, another prepper is born.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 10:21:15 AM »
I keep one of the plastic coffee cans in each car filled with rock salt.  I duct tape the lid on.

If I had a larger supply of them I'd make use of them for screws, nails, etc.  But I no longer drink coffee and the guys at work that do drink it get fresh beans.

For what it's worth, I stopped drinking coffee when I finally realized that I was getting caffeine withdraw symptoms any time I was away from work for more than 2 days.  I decided that if something big would happen, I wouldn't want to have to deal with withdraw on top of the stress of the situation.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
There's always "De-caf".  ;D

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
I've found that the plastic containers from weight-gain/weight-loss/muscle-builder powders are great for dry goods storage.

We used one of these Muscle Milk containers as a cookie jar for years.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
As a concrete filled weight?

Remind me not to piss YOU off...

:-p

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »

You da' Man!!I like a person who says to heck with nuts and bolts, go straight for comfort! ;D