Author Topic: This Flu Season, Walk through the Fire with Reishi and Astragalus  (Read 3529 times)

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates

All information is given for entertain purposes only. No medical advice is given.I am not a doctor health professional!

kiteflyer

http://www.naturalnews.com/025056_reishi_astragalus_herbs.html

Offline Sid

• Senior Survivalist
Re: This Flu Season, Walk through the Fire with Reishi and Astragalus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
Here are a couple of  doctors that say 5,000IU of vitamin D3 per day will substantially reduce your risk of colds and flu.  Plus there are many other benefits.

Dr. John Cannell on vitamin D

Dr. Joe Prendergast on Vitamin D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »
I remember learning in microbiology that excess Vitamin D causes skin cancer.  Sorry I have no references.  But I do remember hearing that.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:45:29 PM »
I remember learning in microbiology that excess Vitamin D causes skin cancer.  Sorry I have no references.  But I do remember hearing that.

I know the sun gives us Vitamin D when you are out in it. Maybe that is where they are getting that? I wouldn't think you would get skin cancer because of injestion. I would think it would have to be over exposure to the sun or not enough skin protectant like Vitamin E. Who knows really. Maybe I will look it up in a bit after I make some Spaghetti for Joy.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »
Maybe I will look it up in a bit after I make some Spaghetti for Joy.

Mmmm, basgetti.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
I've never heard of too much vitamin D causing skin cancer.  In fact, low vitamin D may be seen in some cancers.

As for vitamin D and colds/viral infections.  The largest study to date (with 19,000 people enrolled) saw that those with lower vitamin D levels were more likely to have recent colds/viral infections Vitamin D and Upper Respiratory Infections
It appears that it is the low vitamin D that makes a person more susceptable.  But we can't say that for sure.  We also cannot say that taking vitamin D pills will reduce your risk of getting a viral infection (like a flu pandemic).  

Also note, vitamin D is one of the fat soluble vitamins (along with A, E, and K).  So it is possible to overdose on vitamin D.  It stores up in your fat cells.  All the other vitamins are water soluble and your body will get rid of excess in the urine.

For me, the bottom line is will vitamin D help reduce your risk of viral infections?  Maybe.  Will taking supplemental vitamin D pills hurt?  Only if you take way too much.  Currently, the daily recommendations are 400-600 IU (international units) of vitamin D per day.  This will likely be increased to 1,000-2,000 IU per day in the near future.  5,000 IU (as recommended in the videos linked above) is probably okay to take.  There is some research to show that it takes 40,000 IU per day to be toxic.   Vitamin D Toxicity

Hope this helps.
Doc K

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:55:30 PM by Doc K »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:58:55 PM »
I've never heard of too much vitamin D causing skin cancer.  In fact, low vitamin D may be seen in some cancers.

Maybe that's what it was.  Shoot now I don't trust my memory.  ;)

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:43 PM »

Well here in Texas and In The South there is a widespread outbreak of Swine Flu. If you have not prepared you might as well get ready to have the flu! Good luck!

kiteflyer

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/updates/us/

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
Great link Kiteflyer!

I have said it before in other posts:  I live in the SE U.S., and we are getting slammed by the "swine flu".  I am diagnosing about 2 patients a day on average with it.  And that is from the patients that make it past our Flu Nurse Hotline (these patients are usually treated from home and told to stay on home quarantine).  The local area is having a hard time keeping up with Tamiflu for the children unable to take a pill or inhale Relenza (the other anti-flu med that works to treat H1N1).

Actually, my oldest son has it now, and I am on Relenza prophylaxis since I am a healthcare worker.

We aren't even in flu season yet!  ???

Doc K

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
No real problem with too much D. I saw a report a month or so back about an error, by a patient who was making up his own, and made a calculation error of 1000 times too much, and suffered no effects after stopping it when discovered after a couple months at that dosage.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:33 PM »
We have been taking 8000 I.U. of vitamin D3 daily for the last several weeks in hope of staving off the flu. So far so good. We have been exposed at least twice. In each case, we were visiting with friends and then the next day, one or more of them would come down with the flu. In both cases, each one tested positive for H1N1.

As I stated on another thread, I have never had a flu shot of any kind at anytime. I have not had the flu since I was ten. That is 45 flu free years. I plan to keep this record intact. (mice, men, all that.)

I have 2 small children, one has asthma, and is high risk. He usually has the normal flu shot, but with the hurry up on this one, we have elected to pass. We did have him vaccinated for pneumonia, though, since in, at least, several of the fatal cases of flu, pneumonia was the actual cause of death.

The long story is filler for the fact, that at least so far, the D3 seems to be working.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »
The pneumonia vaccine given to kids is for bacteria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumococcal_conjugate_vaccine

The reason that pneumonia takes out people who have the flu is the opportunistic bacteria jump in while the body is fighting the virus.

If it's a virus causing the lung infection, that's a different game altogether. There is a chance of fighting off the bacteria with antibiotics, but the viral infection is a much tougher nut to crack.