Author Topic: Product Ideas  (Read 23668 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Product Ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
These are all awesome ideas.  I've been thinking about variations on the BOB of the month club, Orion.  I love the idea, but I'm not sure it would sell, and it would require me being pretty darn sure that such a thing would sell before we created it, due to the continued cost of such a thing on our end.

It's a really cool idea, though, I'll give you that much.  :)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 02:54:46 AM »
*high five*

Great minds think alike.

If you set it up with a simple database, you could automatically keep track of subscribers' account balances, and their "queue", and have it make a weekly report of what to order. I don't think anyone would mind if there were a bit of lag for the initial order, since once it got rolling there would be a fairly constant balance-driven interval between shipments.

In reality it's more of an escrow or layaway system. I was just thinking of it from the angle - don't spend more than X per month on Y commodity or project - this would automate it, and let you select items to invest in. I had actually thought of it in terms of buying silver - like if there were a way to automatically buy roughly 30 bucks of silver every month (two or three rounds, depending on spot and all that) then it would make things much easier, and I'd just get a shipment of five or ten rounds every two or three months. Google does something similar with thier AdSense system - even though you earn per click or per view, you only get a check when your balance reaches a multiple of 100 bucks.

Anywho, when I get my welder and 3-axis mill all set up the way I want 'em, I'll be turning out a few projects that I might throw at you. Gently, of course. ;-)

*ponders gasifiers for small engines*

Offline onesureshot

• Prepper
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
How about blank spiral notebooks with Val and the URL on the front? They should be pretty inexpensive, have a wide range of uses and if they show up in schools, it will get the kids interested and hopefully steer the next generation on the right track.

Receiver hitch covers

Reusable grocery bags

Reverse print, TSP message displaying laser pointer to be used by aiming at the back side of teleprompter glass so the message is displayed the correct way on the front, and the speaker reads the TSP message without realizing it? ;D I really want to hear Obama tell America to live the modern survival lifestyle... lol

Offline onesureshot

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
One more idea for the guys in the service, or us prior service types that still like our mil-spec gear, subdued color patches, t-shirts and hats.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »
I need to go graffitti bombing again - we could totally put the TSP logo and URL on the side of a building for 20 or 30 minutes during an evening rush hour.

WEWT!

Another thought - what about one of those super powered green laser pointers with some custom messages?

You could just aim it up at the clouds at night, and indicate your need for rescue in a SHTF situation. talk about beam-riding!

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Open the cage and let the tigers out!!!
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »
How about blank spiral notebooks with Val and the URL on the front? They should be pretty inexpensive, have a wide range of uses and if they show up in schools, it will get the kids interested and hopefully steer the next generation on the right track.

Receiver hitch covers

Reusable grocery bags

Reverse print, TSP message displaying laser pointer to be used by aiming at the back side of teleprompter glass so the message is displayed the correct way on the front, and the speaker reads the TSP message without realizing it? ;D I really want to hear Obama tell America to live the modern survival lifestyle... lol

BUt the school administrators would have the student expelled and force to have a psychological exam for being a free thinking anarchist

Offline Lenwood

• Prepper
    • Lenwood Leather
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
Books! I already have a literal ton of books but perhaps a good idea would be a series of short books. Even down loadable on everything from tearing down an AR to simple ways to test your soil... It could be called the WTSHTF Library.

People could have the whole set on hand as a reference WTSHTF.

I work in the publishing world so I am always thinking in these lines.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2009, 12:47:42 AM »
We're working on that right now, Lenwood.  We're going to start publishing them next year.  :)  I just bought Adobe InDesign (along with adobe acrobat pro, and dreamweaver, and photoshop, and fireworks, and and and....), and it's SO COOL for creating ebooks, and e-newsletters (complete with flash videos, etc).  We've already started thinking along these lines.

One of the things we're seriously tossing around is the idea of "classes".  Say, a SHORT ebook on the subject (like a pattern, or instruction manual), and then set up a live chat on the subject once a week with the person who wrote the book.  Stuff like making soap, or canning fruits, or knitting, or (insert prepping skill here).

And the rest of the ideas are for ebooks - exactly like what you mentioned, lenwood.

Offline onesureshot

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »
I thought I had already posted this, but maybe I stuck it in a different thread, how about "tactical" or subdued color t-shirts? I am a tshirt guy, but usually only wear black during the cooler months. Maybe a tan shirt with OD green / black print, and / or an OD green shirt with tan / black print?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2009, 05:30:10 PM »
OSS, you DID post this in another thread, but I'm glad you posted it again here, because I loved the idea when I saw it, and then sorta forgot about it with all the other stuff that we're doing day-to-day with the business.  We'll definitely draw something like this up, and see how it looks.  :)

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
How about one of these Wenger Rangers with the Val Head logo(and/or Ant) on the handle!

http://www.wengerna.com/ranger

Offline onesureshot

• Prepper
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
OSS, you DID post this in another thread, but I'm glad you posted it again here, because I loved the idea when I saw it, and then sorta forgot about it with all the other stuff that we're doing day-to-day with the business.  We'll definitely draw something like this up, and see how it looks.  :)

Alright, I am losing my mind here. I just looked at this thread again, and my first post about the subdued items is 5 posts above the last one. I swear it was not there when I posted earlier. Apparently I needed more coffee earlier today, lol.

One more idea for the guys in the service, or us prior service types that still like our mil-spec gear, subdued color patches, t-shirts and hats.

Offline johndayton

• Survivor
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2009, 06:28:38 PM »
What about having the option for long sleeve tshirts? Just would like to be able to support TSP during the cooler months also.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2009, 06:29:32 PM »
What about having the option for long sleeve tshirts? Just would like to be able to support TSP during the cooler months also.

This is also a fantastic idea.  Maybe the next item will be a subdued hoody?

MightyRunt

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 07:16:38 PM »
How about one of these Wenger Rangers with the Val Head logo(and/or Ant) on the handle!

http://www.wengerna.com/ranger

Or one of the Leathermans instead ::)
http://www.leatherman.com/

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
Or one of the Leathermans instead ::)
http://www.leatherman.com/

This is something we've been considering big time.  The problem (right now) is that multitools and SAK type knives cost a LOT to have produced and even more to purchase.  If your target audience already has those items, they won't purchase another one, even if it's got the company logo engraved on it.  They'd be a lot more likely to purchase 5 of everything else in the store, and save a little money.  :)

But maybe a little one (like the leatherman squirt) would be okay.  It's totally on my list of "pitch to forum members to see if they bite".  :)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »
what about the little bitty keychain multi-tools?

I've seen 'em for 3 or 4 bucks, and they're quite useful.

There's also a company that makes electric marking devices - I saw a fellow that uses them to mark 1911 frames and slides that he does custom work on. "So and So gun works" etc... you just wet the pad with salt water, and flip a switch, and the unit engraves the logo onto your part. The engraver can be used with multiple designs - you apply the mask separately.

Justinicus

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
A couple of the folks mentioned survival-friendly gear, and I couldn't agree more.  Marketing for the podcast and the forum are excellent ideas of course, but I personally have a shopping list of gear I'm slowly acquiring.  A lot of this can be branded or even modified and sold by the Gear Shop.  I would imagine that it's much more challenging to get some of these items made, but if I could get them through the TSP Gear Shop, I'd certainly prefer it!

Leather sheaths come to mind -- there's a group out there that makes high-end aftermarket sheaths for popular knives, adding better attachment and retention options than the factory sheaths, and adding firesteels.  If so inclined, you could do something like that, making them to order.  If not, I imagine you could source some simple, quality sheaths and stamp or brand them with the appropriate graphics.  I purchased a hand-customized knife from a fellow on YouTube who purchases custom-made blades from the Svord company and then adds his own very simple scales and plastic sheaths. I think he buys the blade blanks in sets of 20 or so. I love knowing that it was the labor of love of someone I respect, and it's one of my favorite knives. The manufacturing challenges are (relatively) minor, and stock on hand is kept low.

What about selling non-branded outdoor gear?  Another guy I found through YouTube, who was later interviewed on TSP, runs a very interesting online shop, selling gear he would or does use himself, in addition to his own designs.  Would it be possible to sell the gear used and trusted by some of the fantastically experienced folks on the forum?  This would presumably involve buying in bulk and keeping some stock on hand (and the associated financial investment), but I know I would be fine with a "group buy" type of system, getting enough buyers together for an order of something in particular, but doing it through the Gear Shop so that people I know and respect are earning the profit on it.

-Justin

Offline lovebug6133

• Prepper
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
I know that its not a product persay, but maybe we look into using items made in the usa for the gear

Offline BIG-TARGET

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
How about Pokerface CDs??
http://www.pokerface.com/

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
I once had some stuff embroidered and once you paid for the design, you could pretty much embroider anything - hats, shirts, bags, etc.

In that vein, I'd think along the lines of a long-sleeved work-shirt (not just t-shirts), maybe a polo shirt (for that slightly more dressed up look than a T), etc.

I also think the silk-screened shopping bag is a good idea (if you eat what you store and store what you eat, odds are you're going to the store from time to time anyway...).  There are TONS of these out there, though, so I'm not sure about demand.  I'd go with canvas over nylon - JMHO.

Early on Jack challenged listeners to keep a journal of what they eat out of their pantry for a week or two.  Maybe a journal/notebook that could perform that function, but also include room for one's inventory of equipment, consumables, skills, etc.  Might help some of us organize our thoughts a little better. :)

Here's another vote for the window decal - either the ant (stealthy) or the actual TSP logo (better advertising for Jack, but some might question the OPSEC - kind of like NRA stickers tell folks to follow you to find guns).

Will let the wheels keep turning and see what else I come up with...
-N

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:49 PM »
Nadir, a specialized journal is a great idea!  I love it!  I wonder how well it would sell, and how inexpensively I could have them produced....Could also do an "ebook" version that allows you to input stuff, like an adobe pdf that allows you to fill it out and save it filled out.... Gonna have to look into this very seriously.

A plain ol' ant window decal is a great idea.  I've had SO MANY PEOPLE go, "okay.  What is the ant about?" when I wear my hat.  I say, "the ant and the grasshopper - you know the story?"  and within an hour or so, they want a hat.  :D

We looked into the shopping bags, and because we would be purchasing relatively few of them (100 or 200), they would cost US more than they cost you to buy them at the grocery store.  I saw that and was like, "nobody's gonna go for this."  But if we had canvas bags, with a silkscreened ant on it?  How cute would that be?  and how appropriate, right?

As far as embroidery goes, the company we went through for the hats treated us SO well, that we'll probably only ever go through them from now on for anything we have produced, clothing-wise.  The company we went through for the patches didn't treat us well at all (they charged us twice, then took back one of the charges after a week or so, then sent us receipts like 3 different times, and ... it was just a mess all the way around), so we'll be in the market for another patch company soon.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
Mash, the colors could be brown for us ants and green for the grasshoppers. That way we know which color to eat first.

Mamabear - only green ones - we're not into cannibalism here at TSP! ;D ;D ;D

SW - How about "karma cards"?  I saw a post somewhere this morning and now I can't find it.  But what I mean is something you can hand someone that would have TSP podcast information on one side and maybe general survival information on the other?  Something small like a business card or playing card size that you could hand out in a store or at your workplace?  I tell people about TSP and then I have to find a piece of paper and write it down, etc. for them.  Someone posted something about this calling them Karma cards (I think) anyway I think something where you could spread the word would be good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:48:43 PM by TwoBluesMama »

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
Mamabear - only green ones - we're not into cannibalism here at TSP! ;D ;D ;D

SW - How about "karma cards"?  I saw a post somewhere this morning and now I can't find it.  But what I mean is something you can hand someone that would have TSP podcast information on one side and maybe general survival information on the other?  Something small like a business card or playing card size that you could hand out in a store or at your workplace?  I tell people about TSP and then I have to find a piece of paper and write it down, etc. for them.  Someone posted something about this calling them Karma cards (I think) anyway I think something where you could spread the word would be good.

Found the post after I posted this - usually how it goes!

Anyway check out http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7006.msg74929#msg74929
it was Jokerswild who had this idea.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
I've seen those cards done by the Sierra Club - has the Ten Essentials on one side and some Sierra Club info on the other.  Helping the recipient out on the one and pitching them on the other.

The Sierra Club ones were on plastic (not quite as rigid as credit cards - more like milk bottle thickness) and were business card sized.

Interesting idea!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Custom playing cards with a TSP logo and URL (and ants, of course) on the back?

A very brief Google search suggests a wholesale cost of about $3 to $5 per deck for a simple 2-color design.  Dunno if that would end up too pricey after the Gear Shop's markup, though.

It would be more fun if we could redesign the other side of the cards too, but that would probably get really expensive.  The Aces could have ant heads, Kings and Queens should probably be grasshoppers or other such vermin (Down with Kings and Queens!), and I think we already know what the Jack should be.  8)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
I think an inventory management software package might be really cool. A lot of stuff is out there that we adapt to prepping needs, or many of us create our own in Excel.

So, either a really kick ass application, or maybe just a very user-friendly Excel template, designed with the Prepper in mind.

You could indicate what your priorities are, and it would pre-fill a bunch of items that are generally thought of as essential for that type of priority. Also fill out qty of people you're prepping for, and your estimated duration of event.

Example: You check the "priorities" section and fill in "TEOTWAWKI". It comes up with all kinds of things, one of which would be heirloom seeds.  Now, had you checked off "Short Term Power Failure", heirloom seeds would not be on your list.

You then go in and fill out your inventories based on this, and it displays where you're at vs your goals.

Of course the interface would have to be all tacti-cool so we really feel good about things.   :)

It might also help facilitate a common inventory method, which would really help people ascertain where they're at, or where they're at in relation to others (such as comparing notes at a Meet N Greet...).  This also means it does a good print-out job.

We gotta have some programmers on the site...    8)   ;)    8)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
We do have some programmers on this site.   ;D

You guys have the COOLEST ideas.  I don't think an excel sheet will work, because you can make it as user friendly as you want, and some people still won't have excel (I, for example, have open office, and half the time, the macros that are written by my professors to calculate grades in excel, don't work in open office).

It's gotta be a program.  Tacticool would be super easy - that's just a matter of graphics, and word choices.

Also - along the same lines - we could do a hard copy version in a book that you can fill out on your own, with formulas for success throughout.

I would give anything to be a hardcore programmer right now.  But that's okay.  My dad is a code poet.  I'll email him right now.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
It's gotta be a program.

And it's gotta run on Windows, Mac, and Linux at least.  (Not to mention the IPhone, MS-DOS, and the Commodore Amiga.)

Interesting idea.