Author Topic: Ladies ...Gift ideas?!  (Read 8403 times)

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
Ladies ...Gift ideas?!
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »
Hey everyone it is rolling around to that time of the year again... Christmas and being with family and giving and sharing. SO I was hoping everyone would share their craft gift ideas or store gift ideas especially if they are grasshopper to ant related.

One though was like Jack mentioned getting silver for the family but I don't think my family would really get as much from that YET anyways. SO then I thought about books or magazines seeing as how there is a lot of good knowledge out there to share with them and our family knows we are poor so we don't expect anything except getting together. ANy thoughts?
below is one of the magazines I thought about getting for the women in my family one of the writers is a Gila Hayes who is a co owner of Firearms Academy of Seattle near us and has loads of knowledge to share.

http://www.womenshooters.com/index.html

I will post more when I have more ideas but I am REALLY INTERESTED in everyone else's ideas.

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ladies ...Gift ideas?!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »
I have a friend who is a gardener, but not a prepper.  However, she is very good at giving of this type.

She makes small bottles of tea from her garden, and gives them as gifts.

Several years I have given rosemary wreaths for people to hang in their homes.  It was a rather messy business, but it was well appreciated.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:58:45 PM »
Hello fellow lady preppers! I am knitting socks and fingerless mitts for Christmas. Asked my children and their families if they would be offended if I gave gifts that have purpose and they said heck no. So I ordered emergency radios from cartpusher; one for each daughter/family. Oddly, my grandchildren are very excited about me making them socks! There may be some cans of food; rolls of toilet paper; tubes of toothpaste, boxes of Kleenex, and I think everyone will be very happy about that!

I plan to put most of my extra check (sick days not used) in my savings account. My son-in-law was laid off for several weeks, thankfully was called back to work, so we decided as a family that none of us needed to spend much for gifts. We will get together, exchange small gifts and eat up a storm. Food is always good and is better shared!  ;)

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
OH I almost forgot last year my husband was pretty creative and went by safeway every week to the bakery to get their empty buckets that had been filled with butter or frosting and filled it with prep stuff to get our families started. ALso added things like mylar sealed bags of flour and sugar unfortunately I don't think that it converted them yet lol we constantly tell them about tsp and they are pretty like minded not dumb well most of them but they haven't really started to prep...yet. 

Offline Ann

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:02 AM »
OH I almost forgot last year my husband was pretty creative and went by safeway every week to the bakery to get their empty buckets that had been filled with butter or frosting and filled it with prep stuff to get our families started. ALso added things like mylar sealed bags of flour and sugar unfortunately I don't think that it converted them yet lol we constantly tell them about tsp and they are pretty like minded not dumb well most of them but they haven't really started to prep...yet. 

oooooooh!  "A Preppers Christmas"...I rather like that!  That is a GREAT IDEA!  +1

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
oooooooh!  "A Preppers Christmas"...I rather like that!  That is a GREAT IDEA!  +1

my SILs husband's family did something similar.  they got an inexpensive back pack and put in hand warmers, glow sticks, a hand crank powered radio/flashlight/emergency beacon, a water bottle w/ built in filter straw and a few other things.  i think they spent about $30-$50, but gave some really essential items.  even if the people don't jump on the prepping wagon, at least they have some essentials.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
Handmade Paper

Follow the instructions in the link below for making handmade paper. When you lay the paper out to dry, insert flower and/or vegetable seeds randomly in the wet pulp. After the paper dries, you can fold the paper like a greeting card and write your own verse on the paper. Be sure to write a note on the card that the paper contains seeds. When Spring comes, the entire card can be planted in the garden. Your Christmas card can be displayed for the season then flowers and/or vegetables enjoyed the next year.

If you don't want to use it as a Christmas card, the paper with seeds can be given as a gift by itself.

You can use paper towels or toilet paper and add pieces of bright colored construction paper. Remember, the instructions say to use a mixture of long and short fiber papers.

This is a great project to do with kids. Also a nice gift for a kid to start their own little garden or to get a grasshopper to plant their first garden.

Note: There is a short ad at the beginning of the link -- followed by the instructions.

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/making-handmade-paper/6107.html

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
soccer grannie 
That is an amazing idea and very unique I truly had not thought about something like that.  Lots of creativity!

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:58 PM »
Mrs. ElyasWolff,
I'll have to give the credit to Carol Duvall. She's a great craft teacher. I really miss her tv show. I googled her name and it came up on lots of sites. She's one of those who knows how to make crafts out of every day items.  This is something I could do to help our grandson make his Christmas gifts. He can draw pictures and make up verses for the cards. The seed cards just may be what everybody gets for Christmas from us too.  :)

amanadoo

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:32 AM »
Handmade Paper

Follow the instructions in the link below for making handmade paper. When you lay the paper out to dry, insert flower and/or vegetable seeds randomly in the wet pulp. After the paper dries, you can fold the paper like a greeting card and write your own verse on the paper. Be sure to write a note on the card that the paper contains seeds. When Spring comes, the entire card can be planted in the garden. Your Christmas card can be displayed for the season then flowers and/or vegetables enjoyed the next year.

If you don't want to use it as a Christmas card, the paper with seeds can be given as a gift by itself.

You can use paper towels or toilet paper and add pieces of bright colored construction paper. Remember, the instructions say to use a mixture of long and short fiber papers.

This is a great project to do with kids. Also a nice gift for a kid to start their own little garden or to get a grasshopper to plant their first garden.

Note: There is a short ad at the beginning of the link -- followed by the instructions.

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/making-handmade-paper/6107.html

Wow! This is an amazing idea! I had read about making paper at home before, but I was thinking it would be a lot of work for me, and not very useful for the receiver (which I insist on in gifts). I have given away pots of salad mix, patio tomatoes, etc...but this is SUCH a great idea. I will definitely be trying this this year for a few extra special friends.

Otherwise, books and hand-sewn items are always my go-to Christmas presents. I like making things at home, because it forces you to slow down and really think about the other person while you do it. It's kind of selfish, really, because it's so meditative for me :)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »
I'll have to give the credit to Carol Duvall. She's a great craft teacher. I really miss her tv show. I googled her name and it came up on lots of sites. She's one of those who knows how to make crafts out of every day items.  This is something I could do to help our grandson make his Christmas gifts. He can draw pictures and make up verses for the cards. The seed cards just may be what everybody gets for Christmas from us too.  :)
Nice idea Grannie!  I too miss Carol Duvall - she always had great simple ideas.

For Christmas gifts to our close neighbors and our Pastors family I am making them a small basket of herb vinegars from our garden and homemade vanilla I've been steeping as their families like to cook and for their kids I will include a mason jar with S'mores cookie mix (it's so cute - you use Peeps, crushed graham crackers, red & green M&M's and then they can mix and bake).  For my girlfriends I am making everyone a bar of homemade soap - you can add cornmeal, herbs, ground coffee, etc. to a simple soap and everyone thinks it's something really gourmet special - hoping a few will ask why I make my own (prepper alert)!

The DH is the big problem - any guy suggestions along the lines of homemade?  Last year I took all our old slides from our honeymoon (when we got married digital cameras did not exist) and bought a slide converter ($65) and downloaded them to the computer.  Then I printed them and made him a scrapbook - no one had seen those pictures for 20 years since they were slides. A few years before that I made him a simple book on the computer with assorted pictures of us, with song quotes and writings that described the fun life I've had with him (used a photo copy of a Grateful Dead Book - Long Strange Trip (his quote for our life) for the front and photo shopped our picture in place of the Dead  - he LHAO). Also have made him a quilted wall hanging which looked like a special place down by our BOL (a specific mountain with a bear, elk, and eagle on it).  I'm outta ideas - help!!!!

As for my mother (who has everything and does not appreciate anything paltry I could make and or purchase for her)  I may purchase school supplies through Samartian's Purse that go to needy school children in the US.  SP also has other options of purchasing chickens or goats that go to needy families in Africa, Mongolia, etc. but thought I might try to stay more local, not sure yet.

But I am getting the best Christmas Present ever as daughter confirmed yesterday that indeed she is having a baby due June 18th!   And the best news is there is only one baby (she's been on fertility drugs due to a medical condition and twins run in my side of the family so we worried she might have several babies tucked in there and she lives far from any family). Her dh has had cancer and with her medical problems they didn't know if they'd ever have kids.  So it's the best present ever as it will be even more fun over the years to have a baby around.  Maybe we need to start a thread with pics of the kids and grandkids - there's a thread for our pets - and kids are far cuter. 

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:22 AM »
I like soy candles bundles in Ball/Mason jars myself. Everyone loves them, they are generally non-toxic and can be pretty versatile if you know to how showcase the item. Make a 'reflector' that can double as a signal mirror, make the label wrap around and include things like 'Sanitation Charts' and 'Ways to Reuse This Jar'. Bundle it with a refillable lighter, a lid with a mesh so the jar can be reused as a sprouter with a small pouch of alfalfa seeds. The possibilities are endless really. Plus they are so decorative and ubiquitous they can be a way to stealth prep a gift.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »
Ebonearth I love mason jars in any form but that sounds great all of your ideas. THank you very much for sharing.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
I've received gifts of Mason jars with all the dry ingredients for cake, cookies or home made bread. You add the wet ingredients and bake. The recipe was attached around the jar neck with a piece of twine or ribbon. Some had the recipes written on recipe cards, others on a piece of brown paper bag (edges cut with pinking shears).

We could make up some jars with dry ingredients, throw in an O2 absorber, tape the recipe to the jar and add to our stored foods.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »
I've received gifts of Mason jars with all the dry ingredients for cake, cookies or home made bread. You add the wet ingredients and bake. The recipe was attached around the jar neck with a piece of twine or ribbon. Some had the recipes written on recipe cards, others on a piece of brown paper bag (edges cut with pinking shears).

We could make up some jars with dry ingredients, throw in an O2 absorber, tape the recipe to the jar and add to our stored foods.

Hi Grannie - We must think alike!  I did this a while back when I quit using box mixes of any kind and some days seem so hectic that if I wanted to make brownies or cookies I didn't feel like I had the time to start from scratch.  I spent one morning doing up jars of cowboy cookies, brownies, white choc chip macadamia cookies, oatmeal craisin cookies, etc. and I even did some to take to the BOL. They come in so handy. BUT I didn't think of the O2 absorbers - thanks for that idea!!  I didn't think of bread either  - do you have any bread in a jar recipes - those would be nice too!

A place I found some recipes is http://www.giftinajarrecipes.com/14/snack-gift-in-a-jar-recipes.html
Blessings, TBM

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
TBM: I never heard of Cowboy Cookies, you oughta post it in the recipe board. As far as 'bread in a jar', I'll look through my recipe box and books and post some easy breads.

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:01 PM »
My wife is into the herb-holistic thing so I thought she might like a set of these:
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/graphics/cork_top_bottle.jpg
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/glass_bottles.html

Ants store right.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 11:12:41 PM »
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/graphics/cork_top_bottle.jpg
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/supply/glass_bottles.html
Just wanted to say that I also love Mountain Rose Herbs and order from them constantly. Some of the freshest product around and well packaged.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 08:29:39 AM »
I was supposed to be sleeping in today but instead woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep my mind kept working. But on a good note it made me think of some gift ideas but they are starting to fade from my mind as I really wake up.

So the idea I remember with more clarity is something I did in first grade with the rest of my class. I miss those early grades when it was more crafts than anything else... anyways back on topic. The project was taking fall leaves between wax paper and ironing it and therefore preserving the leave and then framing it. So my idea is taking plants from the backyard and first pressing it dry then use the same method to preserve them and from there you can do a couple of different things ... one: frame it and put the name of the plant on the frame so you have art and knowledge.... two: make a book by placing a page on the backside of the plant with name and description of uses of the plant and binding them all together. I am sure there are more options with those but had to share before it faded away.

Also I am thinking of going on amazon and getting herb books one for each close family each a different book so that we can rotate and share the knowledge.

If I had children I would involve my children in the first gift idea obviously so they can learn about nature.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 08:33:51 AM »
Looking over at the christmas tree I had another idea for the pressed plants ... orbaments depending on the size of the plant obviously but you could cut the pressed wax into a circle and glue ribbon on both sides around the edges and make a loop at the top to hang the ornament.

Or even making drink coasters with the name on top and uses on the bottom.

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »
Still sitting in front of the tree and thought of another extension to that last idea instead of pressing plants as ornaments you can go to local craft store and buy clear ornament balls that open up and put dried herbs inside then write in some metallic or white paint or ink the name and properties of the herb around it horizontally so it even looks decorative this would especially be pretty with lavender.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
Has anyone tried the Wildcraft game by LearningHerbs.com?  It goes on sale Dec 1st and you can also find it other places, just google it.  My oldest daughter would love one for her family, not sure about others.   

msgrubbyfungus

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »
Happy post turkey day!

I love all of these ideas! So, I try to give whole family gifts; needless to say, it can be challenging to find gifts that the kids will find "cool" but that the adults will enjoy as well. Fortunately most of my friend's children are in the "science is cool" phase. So this year I'm giving mushroom kits - weird science and dinner all in one!

Enjoy your weekend,

Kate