Author Topic: Any Pheasant Hunters?  (Read 7774 times)

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
Any Pheasant Hunters?
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
Any Pheasant hunters here?? I've been out a few times this year and a few in my freezer.

Offline Steve W

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Any Pheasant Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:18:37 PM »
This year I've not made it out, though usually I get a chance to take pheasants a couple times each Autumn & Winter.

Only the Grouse is more prized in my bird jacket's game pocket!

Good hunting Outdoorsben!

sarahluker

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »
It's been a long time but my husband used to hunt pheasant and he would give the feathers to my mother who used them to make beautiful wreaths.  I don't remember personally eating the bird though. 

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
Yes & I am stoked.

Heading to Wakeeney, KS for opening day. This is my second year with a group of guys (10 this trip) that have been hunting this area for over 20 years. With some good dogs, enough people & a couple flankers (me), we get a lot of birds. The hotel we stay at has an indoor cleaning station, and the revolving walk in hunting access (WIHA) program KS started a few years back makes public access hunting phenomenal. Ut doesn't get much better.

I'll let you know how it goes & maybe post some picks.

Them birds make for some good eats. Does anybody have favorite recipes they would like to share?

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
Going on my second trip in two weeks - Hanston, KS.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:15:15 PM »
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zpheas.html - there is a recipe link. Also, allrecipes.com have a few.

The feathers are also useful for tying flies if you are a fly fisherman.

Offline Mr Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
I went out this weekend with two of my buddies for the first time in years. 15 minutes into the hunt all three of us had a bird. We ended up with five total for the day. Now if only my buddy would train his Brittney Spaniel to not maul the bird when it hits the ground.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
I went out today with the group. We limited out in 45min. Was a good morning. 4 roosters and 2 hens.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:50:40 AM »
I hunt them quite a bit. Grew up in South Dakota where they are crawling all over. Still go back and hunt on our land back there every year. Great eats!

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
Putting a trip together for early next month with dad, brother and bro-in law. Really excited - I do not have access locally to good bird hunting grounds. This will be a guided hunt for pheasants & chukars - while not my ideal backwoods scenario, should still be a good day.

Any recommendation on shot size - I will be using a 12ga single.

Offline monger20

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
Just got back last night & the crock is simmering a pheasant/quail pot pie mix.

The hunting was good but the weather not so much. As a group we got over 20 roosters & a handfull of quail. We were only able to hit a fraction of your usual spots because of the road conditions. The dirt roads of Kansas get extremely slick in spots. We were lucky not to end up in a ditch.

All in all a great trip & one thing is for sure, upland bird hunting is growing on this elk hunter.

joeinwv,

I had a mixed bag of shells. I loaded 6's, 5's & 4's. The 4's were good for the long shots but the tight group was not worth it in my opinion, & if your going for chukars at the same time I would recommend the 6's.

Happy Hunting

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
Just returned from a pheasant hunt.  Started off using #6 but found myself using #4 before hunt was over.  Weather was just about perfect!

Offline Stonebear

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 07:10:05 AM »
Outdoorsben,

What areas are good for hunting them in Mass.? I know the Ringneck was introduced and is still stocked in some places, I would see and hear them all the time growing up here in Mass, but haven't seen a wild bird in 5-8 years. Its a shame, I think with the return and growth of some of the predator species like fishers and coyotes, the feral populations have taken a serious toll.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »
Outdoorsben,

What areas are good for hunting them in Mass.? I know the Ringneck was introduced and is still stocked in some places, I would see and hear them all the time growing up here in Mass, but haven't seen a wild bird in 5-8 years. Its a shame, I think with the return and growth of some of the predator species like fishers and coyotes, the feral populations have taken a serious toll.
I live out in the western part of the state. Region 7 if you're looking at the MassWildlife areas. I hunt up north in the montague/northfield area. I know there are pheasant stocked closer to me but there are A LOT of people in the woods there for archery deer and pheasant. I hunt Bennet Meadows WMA, Pauchaug WMA, and the Montague Plains WMA. Me and a few friends want to head east to the cape and islands for some quail hunting, but that won't be until next year.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
I shot a Ringneck on my very first hunting trip. It's been awhile. I'm going to start hunting again next year. We probably go for grouse more than pheasants. I want to get back into everything. Good times coming.

Pat

Offline teton traveler

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
I went last year and got one. The problem that I have here in my part of Idaho is the wildlife management areas where they stock the pheasants, they put so few there compared to the number of hunters that unless you have some other spot where there are a lot, your chances of getting more that one or two aren't very high. I do have to say that it was a blast, haha, when I got mine and they are beautiful birds. I plan on using the tail feathers to tie some flies.

Offline EODtech256

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »
I love pheasant hunting.  Unfortunately I haven't been in a two years due to deployments.  It really sucks being station in South Dakota with some of the best
pheasant hunting in the nation and not being able to get some tasty birds.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 12:18:14 PM »
Used to a lot when I was a kid.  Kind of got away from it and more into turkey, bear and deer hunting.   That got boring so I started exclusively carrying a bow.  Hmmm  maybe pheasant hunting with my stick bow?  That has possibility's.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
I tried to get a few this morning, while on our Kansas deer hunt. I got my deer last weekend, but had to walk out draws for the rest of the family. I jumped a little thicket using my hammered double barrel 12 ga, and didnt hit a darn thing. About 10 got up out of there, most roosters.
Later in the morning, we hit a thicket and got nothing but hens up. I was using my .410 that time. We have enough snow here right now, they are getting up pretty much in your face.
Hoping to get back down there and get some around Christmas time or New Years.

For you guys going back to Kansas for hunting, you should head up around Norton. Monger was real close, being in Wakeeney. Lots of WIHA land around Norton, and I still go down there and hit nothing but WIHA stuff, unless I go to our deer land.
RipT

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 04:52:29 AM »
 I wish I could answer that, but I haven't seen a true wild pheasant in this part of Ohio since '87. I've been to "preserves" and canned hunts, but the wild ones are history. I can at least have the fond memory of my last pheasant shoot being a double...both jumped within 10 yards of each other.