Author Topic: Black forrests DO cobbler  (Read 2329 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Black forrests DO cobbler
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
For a group camp out we had a pot luck dinner, I made bean hole pinto beans and Black Forrest Cobbler. I'll get to the beans later. Hear is the cobbler.

12 Dutch oven (DO)
24 charcoal briquettes
heavy duty AL foil
2 cans cherry pie filling
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup walnuts
12 oz lemon lime soda (I used sprite, but 7up works fine)
2 Hershey chocolate bars broken into smaller pieces

Start at least 24 briquettes. I start with around 35, just to make sure in a chimney starter.

Line DO with AL foil. and lay out pad of foil to cook on, neither of these are required, but the foil in the DO makes clean up alot easier when dealing with sweet foods.

2 cans of cherry pie filling in bottom of lined DO (save a few for the top). Mix in about 6 oz of sprite to thin it out a bit

Mix 2/3rd (or a little more, just save some for the top) of walnuts in with cake mix and sprinkle about 1/3 over pie filling and lay down some chocolate. sprinkle some of the sprite to help moisten the cake mix using between 3 to 4 oz per layer

Repeat

Place last of the mix and top with chocolate, cherries and walnuts

Using 24 briquettes, place 9 around the bottom edge with none in the center (three between each leg)

Place the rest(15) on the top in a checker board pattern. I will usually wait for about 5 minutes so that the bottom get hot and the filling starts bubbling up through the cake mix

Cook for about 45 minutes. The 24 coals in this arrangement will give you about a 350F oven. About every 15 minutes rotate the DO 1/3 turn clockwise and lid 1/4 counter clockwise to prevent hot spots

DONE! a few dry spots on the top, but that was just the very top layer.

It went fast!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Black forrests DO cobbler
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:55:51 PM »
  Awesome post!!!! Great pics...

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Black forrests DO cobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »