Author Topic: Best Types of Lanterns  (Read 34377 times)

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Best Types of Lanterns
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
 I have been using a Coleman Propane lantern for night fishing and camping for awhile, but always wanted to try the gasoline lanterns. I ended up getting a good deal on four more lanterns, an old Montgomery Wards gasoline lantern, a Coleman fuel lantern, and two more Coleman Propane lanterns. After pricing Coleman fuel I looked for alternatives ($8+ a gallon). It seems there are a lot of problems associated with burning anything but the Coleman fuel in the lanterns. Gunk builds up when you burn gasoline. The high price of the Coleman fuel seems to make propane cheaper to me, especially if you refill the small cylinders. Anyone use these enough to know of the best type? Anyone try a different fuel other than Coleman fuel in the lanterns?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Best Types of Lanterns
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
   I am a Coleman fuel lantern addict!!! I think they are the Bees Knees. I have over 80 gallons of Coleman fuel for my 10 lanterns and have never paid a penny for any of it. Call your local recycling center /Dump/ Hazmat facility and see if they will give you fuel for free. That is what I did and have been given all kinds of stuff. They save Bar oil, Wd40 cans, paint and I have even been given Coleman stoves and Lanterns for free. I have never had any problems with them gumming up and some of the fuel is twenty years old, burns like the day it was made.
   I don't think you can go wrong with Coleman fuel lanterns the older they are the better. I have never been a fan of propane camping gear.
PS Whatever route you do chose don't forget to stock up on extra mantles.

Some freebies I got...

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
 That is a really good idea on contacting dump locations to get fuel, I bet you could get all kinds of good stuff if they will let you have it. I will have to check on it. I wasn't worried about the Coleman fuel gumming up the lanterns, I was talking about gasoline. Have you ever done a price comparison between the fuel needed on Coleman fuel VS propane? Thanks,

Offline scaryjc

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Coleman fuel.

coffecat

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
Nobody BUT nobody has a workbench that neat  !!!!    C.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »
Not one that's worked on, anyway.  ;) Look, no grease or stains of any kind! And look how clean the floor is. OMG!

iceman

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
That looks like Hank Hill's garage.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:29 AM »
I love kerosene lanterns for everything. But then I'm a fat, bald, old guy that liked old things as a kid. I just never got used to these new high falluting propane and gas lanterns.

Pat

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:00:46 AM »
Gas lanterns new? How old are you? I've got some from the '50's.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:13:05 AM »
Ya, ya, I know. I'm only 43, but I grew up with grandparent raised during the depressive who loved antiques. I didn't see a gas lantern or stove until my teens. And even then I wonderred why people throught those noisy contraptions were so special. To me a beautiful wood fire and a kerosene lamp were all I would ever want.

I do use gas grills, etc. but I prefer to cook on a wood fire and read in the glow of a kerosene lantern. I'm 43 in years, but long for a time long past.

Pat

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:22 AM »
I gotta agree with you about living in the past. But some day these will be the 'Good ole days'. We have a couple kerosene lanterns, but they are more for decoration.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »
When I lived in ND with the EVIL EXWIFE CREATURE, I bought used lanterns all the time. I hope that some are still packed up from my last move. But in the woods I think a fire is all you need.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 02:53:56 AM »
I've scored at garage sales. Buying a new Coleman lantern will cost $60. I don't think I have ever paid more than $5 at a yard sale.

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:08 AM »
I went to whole town yard sale this year and it was Coleman heaven. I picked up several including one new in the box for $15.  While I do have some Coleman fuel. I use gasoline nowdays the newer gasoline  much more resembles Coleman fuel than the leaded gasoline they produced when I was a kid. I have never seem any downside to this as far as maintenance.  YMMV

Offline Bill4

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Follow my Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 02:13:28 PM »
I am a propane lantern guy myself.  I have a gallon of the coleman fuel sitting in my garage, that I have not used for many years.  A small propane cylinder packs easier in a camping tote and is IMHO just more convenient for me.

+1 to more mantles!

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »
How long will a lantern burn on a pounder propane bottle?

Offline scaryjc

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:48 PM »

This picture was taken when I first built the shop.(hence the clean workbench)

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:23 PM »
I've got a few propane lanterns. They seem to travel better than some others.
An old lantern that I even packed on horses had to be primed with alcohol. I think that it ran on Coleman fuel?
The propane lantern can be tank tree. That elevates it off of the floor to head height, lighting more area. In my case the wall tent.
I have a propane tree, and big bottle. I can drag them into the house if needed/
Also a small candle lantern will fit in your pack if you might be stuck out all night?
M

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 12:17:03 PM »

my oldest lantern circa 1915

thermos lantern

my military lantern converted to 220 guts

my Bernzomatic collection

grandad's 237 Kero burner

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

coleman lamps

Sears made by Coleman

extras

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
at any given time I have 40 lanterns and 20 or so stoves.  I like to tinker with them a bit.

Greg

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
We have propane, kerosine, oil lanterns, oil lamps and candles. They all have different benefits. I like candles in the bug out bag. I like oil lamps the best. We use oil in the oil lanterns too. You can get these at walmart for 5.00. This oil will not have fumes as other fuels do. Oil lanterns have wicks at walmart for cheap to stock up on. We use propane in camping stove, lantern, heater,etc. This is versatile because you can move non spillable fuel to and from each unit. We have learned that the kerosine has fumes and spills, so we are moving from using it. So we stockpile for propane, oil for lamps and lanterns along with wicks. I notice that many have too many kinds of fuel and devices and cannot concentrate the stocking of fuel and wicks adequately. Interesting subject......thanks.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
I think you can burn oil in kerosene lanterns. I could be wrong. Does anyone know for sure?

Pat

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
lamp oil and kero will both work in wicked lamps and lanterns.  Coleman pressurized, mantled lanterns use coleman fuel or unleaded in a pinch.  The 237 I posted the pic of above is a Kero-pressurized lantern. 

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
Thanks. I was pretty sure that I used oil in kerosene lanterns years ago. I just wanted to make sure that it is ok. I almost bought a pressurised kerosene lamp once, but had a higher priority at the time. I do have a pressurised stove(MSR) that will burn kerosene with a replacement part. I liked the idea of being able to burn anything. Thanks again.

Pat

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
lamp oil and kero will both work in wicked lamps and lanterns.  Coleman pressurized, mantled lanterns use coleman fuel or unleaded in a pinch.  The 237 I posted the pic of above is a Kero-pressurized lantern. 
Good information......thanks.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 05:32:27 PM »
About different types of lighting. My husband said the Kero-pressurized lantern is bright light. Do you happen to know what lighting is the brightest? Just curious.

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
well, the brightest lantern I have seen are the 500cp petromax and colemans.  The 237 Kero lantern by coleman is very bright, but pressurized kero lanterns are finiky to say the least.  As for indoor lighting, Aladdin lamps are hard to beat for lighting.  they are wicked, but have a mantle as well.  They are bright like a 60 watt bulb.

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »
BTW, on stoves, if you can find a Svea 123 backpacking stove, buy it. They are small, built well, and will burn anything you can pour into it.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 07:25:42 PM »
Good info thanks!!!