Author Topic: Best Types of Lanterns  (Read 34508 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Best Types of Lanterns
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »
Very cool collection. What does the 220 conversion mean?

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 04:42:35 AM »
military lanterns in thier original configuration are not very good lanterns because of thier design.  also, the generators are expensive and fragile being made of aluminum.  you can take the guts out of the tank and up to the burner tubes out and replace it with regular coleman insides from the 220 series lanterns.  That is what I have done to this one.  It retains the cool colors, tank with accessory tube, and the outward appearance of a military lantern witht he added benefit of being more usable.

greg

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 07:54:46 AM »
I have so many lanterns too.. I do alot of cleaups of estates, so i have propane, white gas, kero.. 3-4 stoves.. I just cannot pass them up.

I would also love to know burn times on lanterns.

Kero i know is the longest, I have a Dietz one that must be.. 40 years old, and they are quite amazing. Cutting the wick is very important, must use super sharp shears to get it perfectly flat, or with a very slight dome shape, for maximum light. Even though they seem nice, the $4 wall mart kero lanterns.. well you get what you paid for.. I filled one and lit it in my cabin, and woke up to a giant puddle of kero in the middle of my dining room table. I would stick to the antique ones or the new remakes at http://www.lanternnet.com/ The technology was quite amazing, the shape was designed so a circular flow of air would keep them bright and burning.. I keep these around because i have a kerosene heater at my cabin, and like to have several ways of providing light.

Propane is nice, and i typically always grab the propane first because the "north star" ones seem to put out the most light and click and they are on.. i have the starter wheels on my white gas, and i just cannot get them started as fast as the pezio startes on my north star. (these mantles are more difficult to come by tho).

Also we used to do alot of night fish spearing with a coleman lantern with a shade. We used to have one that had a chrome shade, with a handle so you could hold it at the side. very cool. was great for smelt netting at night, could be an advantage for food gathering for us on the great lakes.

Offline USAFRaven

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
I'm a lantern fan as well...
I have:
1 Coleman Dual fuel powerhouse 2 mantle,     Brightest One I own about equal to a 100 watt bulb
1 W.T. Kirkman Kerosene lantern                  This and the Dietz are about equal at 12 -15 Candlepower
1 Dietz Blizzard Kero Lantern                         same as above but with a thinner glass globe.
1 Coleman Northstar Propane                        close to the above dual fuel very bright
2 Coleman Powermaxx butane lanterns           small and bright with electric start  about 60-80 watt bulb
1 Coleman Propane griddle/stove
1 Coleman Liquid fuel stove.
and arriving today via UPS is a Brand new Coleman Kerosene lantern and 20 #11 mantles.  Review to Follow
side note--the Coleman website is pretty good with there mantle prices, comparable to our local Wally world and Dicks sports.

Next on my list is The Coleman Dual Fuel Northstar lantern and a Coleman Pinnacle Propane Lantern.  I hear from reading candlepower forums, That the Pinnacle is he brightest Coleman makes at about a 160 watt bulb and the dual fuel Northstar is a close second.

I really want to pick up an Alladin Lamp but I think its more of a novelty for survival SHTF situations due to the fact that they are so expensive and require a wick and a very fragile Mantle, as well as the chimneys that are fragile too. The allure of a 60 Watt kero lamp is appealing though.

My Apt Provides me a garage so I'm able to store about 20 Gallons of White Kero, and about 20 Coleman Propane cylinders.  Home Depot sells White Kero for a ridiculous 38.00 for 5 Gallons, but I found a local Hess Station that sells White Untaxed Pump K-1 Kero for about 2.20 a gallon here in NY.

Offline marauder

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 07:54:12 AM »
The SVEA 123 will burn anything....and for most people that means the stove itself.  Don't light that sucker anywhere near your tent or tarp.  I spent 7 years working customer service at one of the bigger outdoor mail order outfits. One person a week would call complaining about that stove blowing up on them.  Yet, they did have a small but devoted following.  I was never a big fan, but did use them on occasion.  If you want real multi fuel capability at a safer more reliable platform, the MSR XGK is a great stove.  It will burn anything.  Not much flamer control on those stoves though.

Most of you probably know this, but be careful of using Coleman fuel that has been sitting around for more than 2-3 years.  It separates out and you get large amounts of sediment. That will gunk up your appliances to the point of having to replace generators, etc.  The Coleman Fuel Filter is a handy few buck item that is great to have.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
The SVEA 123 will burn anything....and for most people that means the stove itself.  Don't light that sucker anywhere near your tent or tarp.  I spent 7 years working customer service at one of the bigger outdoor mail order outfits. One person a week would call complaining about that stove blowing up on them.  Yet, they did have a small but devoted following.  I was never a big fan, but did use them on occasion.  If you want real multi fuel capability at a safer more reliable platform, the MSR XGK is a great stove.  It will burn anything.  Not much flamer control on those stoves though.

Most of you probably know this, but be careful of using Coleman fuel that has been sitting around for more than 2-3 years.  It separates out and you get large amounts of sediment. That will gunk up your appliances to the point of having to replace generators, etc.  The Coleman Fuel Filter is a handy few buck item that is great to have.

Good advice!! Another good survival item to keep on hand is some silk. You can use it to filter gas for your car also in a protracted SHTF scenario.
These guys used it to filter gas while on an ATV ride through Mexico. http://www.quadtrek.net/html/accueil_eg.htm

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 01:33:22 PM »
The Svea is no more dangerous than any other pressurized gas appliance IMHO.  You have to understand how these appliances work.  Vaporizing the fuel is the name of the game.  If they are in proper working order, they are some of the lowest tech items out there and last the longest compared to others.  I'd bet that most of the folks that called in complaining about the stoves "blowing up" had no idea that heat is needed to pressurize the tank and vaporize the gas inside.

Offline Q_Dog

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:35 AM »
I personally like the 1lb. propane tank lanterns. Not only can you use the tanks for the lantern, but I also have a little portable heater, a one burner propane stove, and I can also put a torch tip on it and use it as a torch. Great versatile uses for the tanks.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:35 AM »
Complete newbie question here. Which fuel is safe to burn in a lantern indoors?

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
I prefer the hurricane lamps (old fashiond).  They take standard lamp oil.  Throw off good light, durable.  Check out Leaman's Non Electric catalog.  They have a great selection. 

BP

Offline USAFRaven

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 01:19:53 PM »
WT. KirkMan also make great oil/kero lanterns.

http://www.lanternnet.com/  I think the quality is a little better then the newer Dietz lanterns as well...

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
Complete newbie question here. Which fuel is safe to burn in a lantern indoors?

If the appliance is running properly, you can use any of them inside.  Coleman made parlor lamps (I have several) that are basically lanterns.  one thing to keep in mind, older houses were more drafty than newer homes today.  You may want to crack a window close by, but there are many collectors like myself who burn them inside all the time.  YMMV.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
BTW, on stoves, if you can find a Svea 123 backpacking stove, buy it. They are small, built well, and will burn anything you can pour into it.
Thanks, never heard of that one. Who says an old goat can't learn new tricks. :D

Offline ridgerunnersurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Pine Home: Woodland Survival
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
I love the Dietz Kero lanterns for most things...another really great option is one I just found in the Lehmans catalog called the Homesteaders Light.
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Lanterns___Homesteader_s_Light___1001835?Args=
Im really interested in getting this light as it has the expanding reflector features and the 14hr burn time is not too bad either.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:04:17 AM by ridgerunnersurvival »

Offline hal

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 04:14:42 AM »
One particular type of lantern that hasn't put in an appearance on this thread--the LED lantern.  Coleman makes those, too.  Here's mine:

It runs over 100 hours on a set of three AA batteries (I've had mine three years and I'm still on the original set.)  It's compact, makes no noise aside from the click of the switch, and it does not require combustion to function. 

This particular example is nowhere near the level of quality or performance of the better LED models, but at ten dollars a piece, they're so cheap that you can afford multiple extras for family and neighbors. 

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 05:40:02 AM »
I love the Dietz Kero lanterns for most things...another really great option is one I just found in the Lehmans catalog called the Homesteaders Light.
http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Lanterns___Homesteader_s_Light___1001835?Args=
Im really interested in getting this light as it has the expanding reflector features and the 14hr burn time is not too bad either.

I'm right there with you on the "regular" Dietz kerosene lanterns, ridgerunner; we used one at our deer camp last year and loved it...great light and easy on fuel. The one you have a link to looks very interesting as well. I may add that one to the inventory.

Thanks! 

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »
One particular type of lantern that hasn't put in an appearance on this thread--the LED lantern.

I have a Coast LED lantern like this one:

http://www.coastportland.com/product.php?prodid=926&prodnums=¿947¡186¡1030¡1053¡1052¡1054¡946¡926¡243¡282¡940¡943¡280¡264¡263¡1109¿&mastCat=2&catid=2

It has been on about 10 camping trips now.

Also this one is good:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/se3dln.html

It has been on about 4 camping trips now.

Rechargable batteries for all of them which I charge in the vehicle or on the solar panel.

Offline templar223

• Survivor
    • GSL Defense Training
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
I'm a flashaholic and found these and wrote a gear review article about them for GunNews Magazine late last year. 

Hope you find it helpful and interesting.

John

New lanterns are a quantum leap forward

Lanterns, new and old. From left, the new AA lamp, the D-cell lamp, an incandescent 6v lantern and a propane monster. The Garand bayonet on the bottom is for scale. Yes, my bathtub is clean.

(GunNews Magazine) - Emergency / camping lanterns have made a quantum leap forward thanks to recent advances in LED lighting technology. Today’s recreational campers can purchase a very bright, long-lasting lantern that weighs a fraction of the propane lantern that we and our parents have used for decades. Today’s lantern is safer, smaller, quieter to use.

Ray-o-Vac has released a pair of CREE-equipped lanterns for campers and those wishing to have a safe and effective light in case of an emergency power outage in their home.

The CREE LED is a recent improvement in LED technology that burns bright while sipping battery current. These Ray-o-Vac units have numerous useful features including both “high” and “low” settings, clips on the bottom to hang them in a tent and a readily removable globe for virtually omnidirectional lighting.

The AA-powered unit (less than $20 at Farm and Fleet) weighs in, loaded with alkaline batteries at 7.6 ounces. Ray-o-Vac brags that it emits 70 lumens on its highest setting and will run on its “low” output for up to three days. Reading was not at all difficult with this unit operating on low when placed next to the book.

The D-powered version (about $30 at Farm and Fleet) is substantially heavier with batteries at 1 pound, 13.8 ounces, according to Pitney Bowes. Ray-o-Vac claims it has a 300 lumen output on high, and will run for 150 hours on “low”.

The old dual-mantle propane lantern (which goes for about $30 at many retailers) weighs in at 4 pounds, 5.5 ounces (minus the base ring) and offers adjustable brightness and will run for up to 8-hours on a reduced setting. My Coleman gas lantern, running at full-tilt, emitted about as much light as the D-cell LED Ray-o-Vac, albeit a much warmer color.

The great advantage of these new LED lanterns is their size, weight, burn time, safety and cost of use. With propane cans running nearly $3 they are comparable to the cost of a trio of alkaline batteries, however the battery powered lantern will last days, not hours like the incandescent battery lanterns and D-cell batteries are much smaller and safer to transport than propane bottles. There is no risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning or burns with the LEDs, which can be used safely inside a tent or home for extended periods of time.

So, regardless if you’re a weekend warrior at the campground or just wishing to be prudent about having some backup lighting in case of power outages or emergencies, check out these Ray-o-Vac lanterns at your local Farm and Fleet or Ace Hardware.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Thats interesting.  I have wondered about the feasibility of storing batteries vs storing fuel.  How many batteries fit in the same size storage as the single propane tank or 1 gallon can of white gas?  Seems to me that LED with lots of stored batteries may be the better option.  However, what is battery lifespan (In storage) vs White gas lifespan (in storage)? 

Having just received a couple of white gas stoves and lanterns, i'm new to the whole gas powered camp equipment thing.

Thanks for the review.

Doc

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2010, 02:05:19 PM »
Doc, lithium AAs and CR123s can store for 10 years with extremely little loss in power. Alkalines have a storage expiration date of 2016 and beyond if you find fresh ones. so 6-7 years can be expected. I personally do not store alkaline AAs in seldom used lights or radios. I only use lithiums or low self-discharge NiMH batteries for that. CR123 lights I keep batteries in all the time also. D flashlights should be checked twice a year but honestly I haven't had a D-cell leak on me in ages. I even have 6Volt lantern battery lights and Haven't had a leaker in years. AA and AAA are a different animal, i've had quite a few leakers but the PROCELL Duracells and Energizer Industrials i've never had a problem with.

Keep Batteries in an Ammo can or a plastic ammo can in the basement or someplace cool and rotate stock with the ones you keep around the house and you shouldn't have any problems

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »
There is something nice about an old school propane or gas lantern though. especially in the fall/winter.

The new LED lanterns can't be beat for runtime and cost if you buy batteries in bulk and watch prices. Light output is close to gas/propane and the companies have been getting better with the light color which is as important as output because of how our eyes see color/brightness. For emergency lighting Streamlight and Pelican have both updated their lightbox style rechargable lanterns to include LED lamps that put out almost double the lumens for twice the runtime on SLA internal batteries. Something for storm preparedness for those of us in Tornade/Hurricane zones

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Great,  I think i'll work on both.  Now that I have the the white gas equipment, i'll stock some fuel (Got plenty of spare parts now).

Batteries are another item.  I only have about 25 AA and 35 AAA stocked up (about 4 to 6 month rotation on AA and 1 year on AAA) and no others (Nothing that uses any other batteries).  Are CR123's worth the price?  I've haven't done some comparisons (as I have nothing that uses the 123's) and I don't know if they are worth the price differential.

Thanks JerseyVince

Doc

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
A cpl on line stores sell Cr123s very reasonably compared to local stores and HD or Lowe's which hose you on a 2 pack. That said CR123s do have a place in Flashlights and lanterns, Cloeman makes a packaway CR123 lantern you could store or keep in a BOL with batteries in it and it would be ready in a sec if needed so you could get yourself settled,they even have AA lanterns and with lithium's could be a good pack away loaded lantern also. Flashlights are different, there are many new ones that use AAs and are led that could be called tactical and are very bright i have them and use them too but I also have Surefire and Streamlights in CR123 that are really Tactical and compact that can blind the shit outta someone and be used as a searchlight if needed.

I think of those as a Smith & Wesson .357/38 revolver when you need it to work the first time, everytime Surefire or Streamlight. A Streamlight Polytac in Cr123 is about $40 at most stores like cabelas and puts out 120 lumen's and its only slightly thicker than a Minimag.
Just my opinion Doc, there are many possibilities out there today for lights, but Coleman Surefire Maglite and Streamlight cover most situations IMO

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
  Doc,
   I have 80 gallons of white gas stored in 1 gallon cans, some of it 10+ years old and it burns flawlessly. A bonus to the gas lanterns is they put off heat and burn forever at the same brightness from beginning to end. Surprisingly 80 gallons doesn't take up as much space as you would think, I would guess mine takes up about a 4x4 cube. Oh and I have never paid a penny for any of it. I can also use the gas to cook on, kinda hard for a battery to do that. I have never been a big battery fan, stick with the gas and I guarantee you'll be happy..

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
I can definitely see the benefit of keeping both around.  Thanks for the info.

Offline xpertgreg

• Prepper
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 08:00:05 AM »
I'm a lighting fanatic.  Flashlights, pressure lanterns & stoves, wick lanterns, alladdin lamps, propane, I have it all.  all of them have their place.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
greg are you a member of candlepower forums? if not you'd like it.