Author Topic: How do you start?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Dylboz

• BANNED
  • Senior Survivalist
How do you start?
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »
I really would like to start hunting, but I have no idea where to begin. Obviously, I have to buy a license, but I want to take a deer or elk, and maybe a javelina, too. I figure I need a friend, someone who knows what to do to help me out, because I can't really afford to hire a guide. Since I don't know anyone in Tucson who hunts (I'm sure they're here, I just don't know them) I'm going to ask you guys here. So, any Southern Arizona hunters who want to help a guy get started putting wild meat in his freezer?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: How do you start?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:42:54 PM »
Since you need a license, you will be contacting the DNR in some form... I do not know about your state, but I assume they offer some version of an NRA or other Hunter Safety course. Take it and talk to the instructor.

Find a good gun shop / shooting range - talk to people and ask around.

Deer is a good place to start - hold off on the elk hunt for a while, as it will take some additional planning and resources. It's a big animal.

Offline Dylboz

• BANNED
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
Just listened to Jack's show on squirrel hunting. My little dog Fifi is a perfect feist, and she wants so badly to learn stuff, old enough that she's not a total spaz, and she actually hunts pack rats in my back yard, so she has the instincts. Also, my buddy has a beautiful Marlin .22 LR with a great scope that he got in a trade for his old VW van, and he's never even loaded it up. He got two .22's, actually, a semi-auto and the bolt action Marlin. He wants to keep the semi-auto (think it might be a Weatherby or a Winchester, not sure), but that Marlin takes me back, it was the first rifle I ever fired, it was my stepdad's gun. Anyway, I think he'll sell it to me, scope and all, for $100. Seems like a great way to get started. Kinda like when I was a kid and shot at little birds with my pellet gun (until the day I actually HIT one, a pigeon, and had to put it out of its misery with a huge rock, and I cried all the way home).

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »
...but that Marlin takes me back, it was the first rifle I ever fired, it was my stepdad's gun. Anyway, I think he'll sell it to me, scope and all, for $100. Seems like a great way to get started. Kinda like when I was a kid and shot at little birds with my pellet gun (until the day I actually HIT one, a pigeon, and had to put it out of its misery with a huge rock, and I cried all the way home).

I've got a Marlin bolt 22 and I love it... I grew up with that... as a result, I can't stand the way a 10/22 stock feels with iron sights... Anywho, $100 is a great deal for the gun alone assuming its in decent condition.  As for your pigeon, I had the same experience with a squirrel  ::) 

As for the rest of the hunting... start with small game... it's a lot cheaper and you're more likely to be successful.  This was my first year deer hunting and I never saw a live deer the whole season (only road kill, what a waste!).

Oh, make sure you get your hunting license... as posted in some other threads, the DNR could have you looking for a new gun, if not a new vehicle* if they catch you with a gun in the woods without a license! (*any equipment used for hunting)
~CRCJ

Offline Dylboz

• BANNED
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
The update on this story is, my buddy took the Marlin out shooting and fell in love with it, so it is no longer for sale. He might part with the Winchester, but I'm not that interested in it. We'll see next time we hit the range. And thanks for the tips!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:51 AM »
Try to talk to a few of the fellows at the gun store.  THere is one here in town that I drop into once in a while, and I know a few of them a bit...we've spoken about hunting and what not, in addition to the daily deal (I always seem to miss the free samples..)

Your are sure to find someone in the store that can lend you advice, sugguestions, and maybe even be able to slip into a hunt with one of them.  Just ask to see if they would be willing to spare some hunt time to show you some tricks, tracks, and etc.

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »
I'm sure there are several experienced hunters here that would be very helpful with questions and tips.

A suggestion I would have is to also join an on-line hunting community like huntingnet.com, it is a hunting only (all types) messageboard that has great tips and discussions. You should be able to find several Arizona hunters that would take you under their wings and show you the ropes, possibly on private land. You may also try to find an Arizona outdoor messageboard community that would offer the same opportunity.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 02:46:39 PM »
Get a 10/22 - you will end up with one sooner or later anyway. I have the sporter stock, not the short carbine - so it is more like a 'real' rifle length of pull.

If you want to spend a little money, a bolt CZ452 is a great gun. The Ruger 77/22 is very nice, but pricey.

Dick's had a Savage w/ scope for about $225 recently - it was .17HMR, but .22 should be similar or less.

Also, don't discount the humble air rifle - aim, breathing, trigger, site alignment - all the same skills.

walker

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
The best advice I can give someone new to hunting/shooting is to purchase either a Marlin model 795 or a Ruger 10/22.  Marlins are deadly accurate right out of the box, are cheaper than the Ruger, and I love the four Marlins I own.  You can get into a model 795 for around $150.  Then choose to purchase a cheap X3 scope or put some iron sights on it from Tech-sights, either way should cost under $75.  I like iron sights for quicker shots on rabbits at under 30 yards, but some folks prefer scopes for teaching new shooters.

The next step is the most important.  Go sign up for the next Appleseed shoot near you, you will not only learn plenty of marksmanship and American history, but meet lots of folks who love teach newcomers how to shoot and hunt.  The program is not about hunting, but most of the folks I have met at Appleseed shoots do spend time hunting, and you will make some new friends after shooting together for two days. http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

I would also endorse going to a Hunter Education class as mentioned above, I recently went to one with my daughter (and I have hunted for over 20 years) and I still learned a few things, particularly where are good places to hunt small game locally.

Once you get the basics down with hunting small game with a .22, you can quickly work up to hunting larger game with something like a .308.  Each species takes a little different technique, but that is the joy of hunting... it will take a lifetime to savor all the critters!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:34:42 AM by Archer »

Offline YOOJ

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
As far as learning how to BE a hunter, not simply what gun to shoot at what game, you do not have to wait for hunting season to go spend time in the woods and observe the goings on and figure ot the habits of whatever critters you may be stalking.  There are most likely some non-game species (varmints or non-native wildlife) which your state does not regulate the taking of, and will have no closed season or limits or firearm restrictions. 

Get familiar with the area you think you'd like to hunt.  Look for deer sign.  Stop and listen to the surroundings - take not eof how long it takes for the noises to start happening again after you enter the area and get settled.  Birds squirrels and bugs and other critters will start going about their business again after a little while and they feel things are "normal" again.  Walk through an area slowly and quietly and scan the fern patches and brush for the telltale "mask" of a deer - it may be the only thing that clues you into the fact that you aren't alone.  It's amazing how well deer blend into their surroundings except for the white patches around their face.  They will also stand completely frozen in place wondering if you've spotted them, only moving either when you avert your gaze or make a deliberate move or gesture in their direction.

it doesn't take much to learn to road hunt - drive the roads, look for deer, get out and shoot.  But you will gain so much more skill and enjoyment from learning to be a rifleman and a woodsman. 

If I were to have a desire to learn the art of hunting on my own not having friends or family to bring me into it, I would start with small game and varmints, and I would absolutely take a hunter safety course.  Talk to as many local gun shops and sporting goods stores and get as many opinions on hunter safety/education sourses as you can, they are not all created equal, and some are simply designed to "meet a requirement" while others will really teach things to someone willing to learn.

Enjoy and good luck.  If you ever find yourself in Oregon I'd be happy to get you out on a hunt.