Author Topic: What is cheaper....  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
What is cheaper....
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »
Drying clothes on drying racks with a fan blowning air on them or using a dryer?   ???

Rook

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: What is cheaper....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:59:24 PM »
Making heat takes more power than turning a fan.

Offline mckeyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
you need to compare how long it takes run the dryer to how long it takes to dry on the rack with the fan. It may be cheaper to run a fan but it may cost more if the time to dry is significantly greater.
Sounds like the perfect problem for a spreadsheet.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
We pay about 8 cents per kilowatt hour.  I have a fan that is 100 Watts, so I could run it 24/7 for about $5 per month.

I don't really need to run the calculation for the dryer to have about a 95% confidence interval that the fan is cheaper.

sarahluker

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
I hang all clothes straight out of the washer on tube hangers.  The only things I dry are my husband's nomex, towels and jeans.  It's cheaper and the clothes last for years that way.  I have clothes that look next to new that are years old. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
I've been hanging most of our clothes to dry all summer and found that I did, for sure, reduce our electricity usage from last year to this year by doing it. I didn't bother with the fan, though. As the weather has cooled, however, I am finding it just is taking too long for clothes to dry by hanging them. I still keep the drying rack full, but find myself using the dryer to keep up with demand.

Offline Rookinde

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
Well we hace found that drying rack is saving money. To keep from getting a back log while the clothes is drying, we all do our laundry on different days.

Rook