Author Topic: Yesterday's fun.  (Read 1899 times)


  • Guest
Yesterday's fun.
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
It was truly a beautiful morning. The ground was covered in freshly fallen leaves, slightly wet with dew. The feeling of the refreshing cool crisp air and sounds of birds just a singing. With the wife and kids still a sleep, I headed on out to feed and water the animals. One of our rabbits had had another litter over night and was busily tending to them when I got out there. I was feeling great, energetic and ready to go. After finishing up the chores and since the family wasn't up yet, I decided to grab my favorite .22wmr rifle and head up the hill into our woods.

 At the top of the hill I managed to spooked a couple good sized whitetail does that were bedded down about twenty yards away. As I watched them bound away I excitedly thought about firearm season opening this coming weeked. Once they were gone out of eye and ear shot, I headed on into the woods. Since the majority of the leaves have now fallen, visibilty was quite good. It didn't take long to spot a couple bushy tails scampering around the forest floor about eighty yards in. I made my way slowly over in their direction. Stopping every so often to look and listen as I went.

Once I was about fifty yards out one scurried up the closest tree while the other decide to run off. It took a couple minutes but the treed squirrel finally stopped on top of a large horizontal branch. Presenting a perfect stationary broadside shot. I took aim on the head, breathed slowly holding it half way through the exhale and pressed the trigger. The shot hit him just behind the jaw in the neck. For a moment I got worried as he stayed on the branch and I thought he was gonna be stuck there. Fortunately he twitched a couple of times and out of the tree he came.

So after retrieving him I was back on the hunt for the other one. After roughly ten minutes or so, I found her(I suppose it could have been an entirely different squirrel too though). She was perched high in a tree about eighty yards out. So I braced against a small tree. Again focused on my breath and trigger control and fired the shot. Unfortunately, she had moved right as I was  pressing the trigger(yeah... thats the excuse, lol) and I missed. Luckily she ran part way down the tree facing me and stopped and with the second shot she was on the ground.

Having other things around the house needing my attention, I decided that was enough for one morning. Everyone was up when I got back home and my daughters, as always, were excited to see the squirrels. I look forward to the day they are big enough to go with me, as do they. Maybe next season. Hopefully I'll be posting some deer pics this weekend if all goes well.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

  • Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • *
  • Posts: 5705
  • Karma: 542
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Yesterday's fun.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 05:00:18 PM »
Nice shooting, well done.

Sounds like a good day.


  • Guest
Re: Yesterday's fun.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
Thank you sir! It sure was.  :)