Author Topic: First Deer Hunt - Advise Wanted  (Read 4799 times)

Offline danguyer81

• Fledgling Prepper
First Deer Hunt - Advise Wanted
« on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
Hello all! Sad story, my dad never took me hunting and doesn't know the first thing about it. Boo Hoo right?

Between a full-time job, full-time student, and not having a mentor, I have never gone.

Anyway, I live in a truly phenomenal area for hunting deer (Northern Idaho), I am buying a tag this weekend and I am going to hunt this fall. I have a rifle that will work (a .270) so I am not worried about that. Here is the extent of my knowledge:
1. Walk around quietly looking for deer 2. Positively identify my target 3. Shoot it 4. Gut it and drag it out 5. Cut it up.

Can anyone point me to a good source or give me some solid info. Maybe what I have is enough and I can just learn as I go?

Thanks in advance...

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
Re: First Deer Hunt - Advise Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »
youtube?????????? ???

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
Any local resources like guides or a hunt club or something? There's no substitute for going out the first few times with somebody who knows what he's doing.

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
Up there lots of students will go hunting. Ask them about the area, and for pointers.
Best of luck.
Most of all make it fun. Have a positive memorable experience.
M

Offline Skip

• Prepper
  • Hello!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:20:12 AM »
Like the other dude said, get a hunting buddy.
Maybe you and your hunting buddy could do some small game hunting and that will get you used to the feeling of "the hunt"
Target practice practice practice.
As for the cutting up part, its almost an art, it will deffinittly help if you have someone who knows how to help you.

Good Luck Dude.
Happy Hunting!

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:44:40 PM »
Learn where the trails are. If you are walking, good luck.  If you decide to perch, get prepared to sit for a looooooong time and see nothing.  Everything you hear will sound like a deer, but they will really just be squirrels and birds with an occasional 'possum.  Maybe it's different in ID.  ;)

If you do happen to get a clean shot (and make sure you are a GOOD shot, or you will injure the poor animal without killing it,) wait.  If it doesn't fall immediately, you will have to track.  Sometimes thirty minutes, so you don't run it.  We don't gut ours immediately (or even bleed it,) but bring them back to the house first so we can wash them out with the hose.  Can't tell it hurts the meat any. 

IdahoJohn

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 02:59:01 PM »
Best of luck to you!  I'm heading out for my first bow hunting trip tomorrow.  I have a friend who is taking me out so like others have said before me the best advise is to find someone who knows how.  If you are down in southeastern Idaho I can get you set up with people to teach you since I'm in Pocatello.  Good chance I'll be up that way in a year or so and I'd be happy to help then if you're still looking for someone.  If you really have a hard time finding some help, I can ask my dad if he knows anyone who could give you hand (he lives in Pullman).  Let me know.  kleijohn@isu.edu

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
I bought a good book entitled "Butchering Deer" Author= John Weiss, it made a world of difference for me on how to field butcher and then cut it up back at camp/home/garage.

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »
A couple main things     
1  Remember your backstop behind what you are shooting at. Be sure of the target and the backstop.
   A 270 can kill at 3 miles away.
2  Deer have the best eyesight remember that. It's Damn near impossible to sneak up on a deer.
3  Time spent scouting is hunting without the weapon. Enjoy it!
4  Scouting pays off when hunting season opens because you will be in-place when other hunters
    are pushing deer around.
5  Hunt with a partner. It's safer and more enjoyable for the average person.

Best of luck! It very well may be some of the best memories you will make.

IdahoJohn

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 11:43:17 AM »

2  Deer have the best eyesight remember that. It's Damn near impossible to sneak up on a deer.

Best of luck! It very well may be some of the best memories you will make.

Sooooo True!  This weekend I had a deer come over a berm 10 ft from me and I couldn't even draw back without spooking it.  It didn't notice me until I started to draw, and then it was gone like lightning.  I should have set up a little farther back.

Really good points Uncle Bob!

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »
Uncle Bob hit the nail on the head.  90% of deer hunting is done before the season ever opens.

That really won't help you a whole lot right now.  So in that case.

1.  Look for signs of deer.  Tracks and droppings are good signs.  Rubs are a good sign as well.  Rubs are places on trees where deer have stripped the bark with their antlers.  Usually there are two things nearby.  A) a low hanging branch where they have rubbed a gland near their eye.  B)  a scrape.  A scrape is an area on the ground where the deer has removed all leaves and litter.  The scrape will be round or oval in shape.  The deer will then urinate on another gland on its hind legs to mark its territory.

2.  Find sources of food.  I don't know what deer in your neck of the woods eat but around here they eat acorns, corn, soybean, etc.  

3.  Find out where deer bed.  You will find oval depressions in the ground where the foilage has been flattened.  

4.  Put yourself between any of these spots.  Deer are predictable.  I like to put myself between a food source and a bedding area.  The deer will forage during the low light hours of the morning and then return to bed usually around mid-day.  The largest buck I ever killed was a 8 point that scored around 140.  I killed it with a muzzleloader at approximately 1pm.  He was returning from a neighbor's corn field and into the thickets.  I had a 30 second window to place my shot and did.  Bucks will also check their scrapes intermittently.  This is sometimes the only way to nail a wary big buck.  Funnels are also nice.  Funnels are land features that make a deer do certain things.  Breaks in fences and trails will help you narrow down the best spot to take a shot from.

5.  Study your deer once you've killed it.  Examine the stomach contents and gather intelligence.  Are the horns worn from fighting?  

6.  NEVER and I MEAN NEVER shoot the first deer you see unless you are hunting for meat only.  I've never seen a big buck that wasn't preceeded by several does first.  The bucks are smart (or not gentlemen) and have no problem letting the lady take the first bullet.  Many a one that got away was 50 yards behind the one that didnt.

7.  Aim just rear of the apex of the front shoulder.  Its hard to miss the heart or lungs if you hit close by.

8.  Don't chase the deer down.  Shoot and then blend back into your surroundings and wait unless a follow up shot is warranted.

That's my advice.

ENJOY!

J

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »
+1 for KYdoomer he hit the nail on the head.

Also wind plays a huge role in hunting. You want to make sure you're downwind of most any animal you hunt.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »

Also wind plays a huge role in hunting. You want to make sure you're downwind of most any animal you hunt.

Oh, good point. 

Offline Stonebear

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
Here are some books that are a great for the beginner or the pro:

"Strategies for Whitetails" by Charles Alshemier
"Whitetail Strategies-A No-Nonsense Approach to Successful Deer Hunting" by Peter Fiduccia
"Aggressive Whitetail Hunting" by Greg Miller
"Whitetail Wisdom -A Proven 12-Step Guide to Scouting Less and Hunting More" by Dan Schmidt
"Deer and Deer Hunting" by Robert Wagner
"Whitetail-The Ultimate Challenge" by Charles Alsheimer
"Bowhunting Forests and Deep Woods" by Greg Miller
"Hunting Big Woods" by Hal Blood

Nothing can replace a quality mentor, but, like anything, it comes down to getting out there and doing it. If you're dedicated and willing to learn from your mistakes, you can be successful relatively quickly. However, don't be discouraged if you don't bag one right off, I can pretty much guarantee you will not and this is what makes it worth it.
Advice:
-Become an expert in the behavior and life-cycle of your target game.
-Put your time in scouting before the season starts. If you learn the land and pattern the behavior of your target, you will be able to put yourself in the right place, at the right time to seal the deal.
-Be proficient with your weapon. Gun or bow, practice how you play. Don't shoot of the bench all off season and think you can walk into the woods and rip off a snap shot at deer 100 yards off through the woods. Set up some clay pigeons at any given distance and practice off hand snap shooting. When you can proficiently break them move them further out. Give yourself only a few seconds from pull up to fire. If you can do this well, all other forms of shooting will feel easy. If you are a bow hunter, shoot with the clothes on that you wear hunting or from elevated positions. Or be sure to shoot at low light. ETC...The point is, you want to be well practiced at what you will face in the field.
There are many different strategies or methods to hunt deer. Try to figure out what is best suited for your environment and which you enjoy. Example: Are you a sitter or still hunter?
Talk to other guys that hunt in your area and ask questions.
Good Luck!!

Offline ZedHead

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »
Stonebear, thanks for the book suggestions. I have added them to my wish list. ;)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 01:30:19 PM »
My usual whitetail routine is pretty set:

Sneak into woods at 0'dark thirty, jump 2 deer, find a nice spot to sit and hide, get cold and fall asleep, wake up to deer staring directly at me while rifle is out of reach. On the off chance that I do get a buck in the scope, I like to give the trigger a Herculean pull before I remember to take the safety off.

As above, the most successful hunters spend time over the spring, summer and early fall observing and tracking the habits of the deer they will shoot in the winter.