Author Topic: Natural antibiotics?  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Natural antibiotics?
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
Can I ask a dumb question?  I don't know anything about natural healing. 

If SHTF, there will be a need for antibiotics.  What are some natural things we can use to fight infections?

Offline cougar

• Survivor
Re: Natural antibiotics?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Heavy G, check this thread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6107.0
Several good options mentioned...but as with all such things, caveat emptor (buyer beware)...or i guess it should be user beware.  Don't believe everything you read...but some good things to look at.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
There are many herbs that have effective antibiotic properties. Among them garlic, oregano, olive leaf, goldenseal, just to name a few.  But nothing has the bacteria fighting effect as a healthy immune system.  In fact many of the herbs that are used to fight infection do so by stimulating the immune system so that the internal mechanisms of the body are target the bad guys and take them out with sniper accuracy. 

Of course, there are times when prescription antibiotics may be necessary.  Because antibiotic drugs have been prescribed so frequently, there are now many strains of bacteria that are antibiotic resistant.

The best course is to boost your immune system at the first inkling of illness and avoid the heroic effort that may become necessary by letting things get out of control.

herbdoc

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »
Herbdoc,
I have a question about echinacea. I have been taking it off and on along with an echinacea/goldenseal combo for a couple of years. It helped me get rid of a nasty tooth infection some time ago. The bottles always say not to take for any extended amount of time. Is it true that I cannot take a daily dose of echinacea? Is it also true about other herbs (for example St. John's Wort)? Or should I only take the echinacea when I start to feel yucky? I have been taking it steadily for about three weeks now because so many people I work with have been sick and coming to work anyway. I haven't caught any of it so far.

Offline herbdoc

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
It is true as a general rule to rotate what you take herbally.  This is why nature has seasons and all food it not harvested as the same time.  The body does acclimate to what it is exposed to and it loses it punch.  Kind of like the elderly woman who always wears the same perfume and can't smell it so much anymore so she puts on more and more.  As a general rule, take something (echinacea, st. Johns wort, goldenseal) 6 weeks on, one week off.  Once your immune system is sufficiently healthy, then just load up when you feel something coming on or as a preventative if an illness is on the horizon (like maybe this new mutated version of the swine flu from Norway).

herbdoc

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
herbdoc, thanks so much for the reply. I find hebal remedies facinating and am learning more and more about it every week. Thanks for being on board and sharing your knowledge with all of us.

(and norway can keep their flu. I don't want it, although I would not complain if my ex got it. Wait did I say that out loud? Sorry....)