Author Topic: Puxing PX-777 and M538-HT  (Read 3665 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Puxing PX-777 and M538-HT
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »
Rob I am about to order some stuff from you and while a bit specific to me I think it may be useful to all.

My set up will be two hand helds, a few sensors (not sure what yet) and a base station.  Now you sent me a Puxing PX-777 and I know it runs on MURS freqs but should I still buy a second M538-HT due to privacy codes and what have you? 

How do the two work together and what limits are there to that?

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
Re: Puxing PX-777 and M538-HT
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
Rob I am about to order some stuff from you and while a bit specific to me I think it may be useful to all.

My set up will be two hand helds, a few sensors (not sure what yet) and a base station.  Now you sent me a Puxing PX-777 and I know it runs on MURS freqs but should I still buy a second M538-HT due to privacy codes and what have you? 

How do the two work together and what limits are there to that?

Good question, Jack.

Any MURS capable radio can receive the alerts from the sensors with one caveat. The MAT and MAPS sensors transmit a sub-audible data stream in addition to the voice alert. This data stream turns on an icon on the Dakota Alert base and hand held radio's display to show that the unit has been tripped. On some radios this data stream will interfere with the privacy code (PL or CTCSS) of non-Dakota Alert radios. The effect is that the voice alert will sound choppy as it will cut in and out as the data stream interferes with the decoding of the privacy code.

The work around is to set the non-Dakota Alert radios to have no privacy code on receive. This allows the radio to hear all traffic on the channel and not just the traffic with the code turned on. If you set all the Dakota Alert radios to the desired privacy code and the non-Dakota Alert radios to just transmit the privacy code then all units will communicate together and receive alerts. The Dakota Alert radios will only hear traffic that contains the proper privacy code.

Some radios are more tolerant of the privacy code interference than others even within the same brand. The bottom line is that any MURS capable radio will work, some will need the workaround.

- Rob