Author Topic: Got my gear - fricken cool!  (Read 2680 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Got my gear - fricken cool!
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:18:40 PM »
Saturday I got my two hand helds, two remote sensors and a base station.  All I can say is really fricken slick and cool gear.  We tested the radio range at just under a mile with good reception.  The base station can receive a bit beyond what the hand helds can.   

Right now one sensor is just on the ground at my front door, set it at an angle so the cat won't set it off.  I will mount it to a stake behind my front bushes.  I will set up the other one to monitor the back gate in the back.  I am also going to play with the range function to see if I can cover a longer area in the front with out having my neighbors set it off.

In the end I have to say the way security and communications are tied together is just very slick, extremely easy to use out of the box and quite effective.  I think we will sleep better at night with the basic access to the property monitored.  It is really kind of overkill for a my suburban lot but when we move to the BOL it will be extremely useful on the 5 acre plot.  At that point I will be buying two more sensors.

I just wanted to give direct feedback on fast shipping, good product and items that do exactly what is claimed by the vendor.  I will be doing a youtube review of the gear as well soon,

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
Re: Got my gear - fricken cool!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:34:13 PM »

I am also going to play with the range function to see if I can cover a longer area in the front with out having my neighbors set it off.

If you want to narrow the detection beam you can make a slit using a couple of pieces of electrical tape on the inside of the round port on the front. With some experimentation you will be able to tune your beam width quite a bit. Then you can change the internal range setting to the desired amount.

You will also see some range increase as you either a) get the units onto higher terrain (such as your BOL), or b) add an external antenna to either the base and/or the motion sensors. Suburban locales have a lot of metal in them (vehicles, metal in the houses, etc.) and this can absorb some of the signals. Getting the antenna(s) up higher will increase range by helping to send the signal over local obstacles (which is the best method of increasing radio communications range).

- Rob