Author Topic: Help me assemble a first aid kit list for a new show  (Read 46168 times)

Offline Altered Mental Status

• Prepper
Re: Help me assemble a first aid kit list for a new show
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
Keep it simple, if you are not trained on how to use a piece of medical equipment then you should not be carrying it. You have several different types of kit, a IFAK, a trauma type kit, a large group type kit, all will require different items......

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2009, 01:25:18 AM »
I finally used celox and it worked great on an obnoxious, though heavily flowing, venous bleed in a multisystems trauma patient. Since the product comes in granules you have to pour it into a 4x4 gauze before applying it to the wound. In this case the bleeding stopped almost immediately, and stayed that way until someone at the receiving ER decided to rip it out. At that point it started bleeding again.

I work in a rural system on the Oregon Coast, but I believe even the busy systems in Portland are carrying a similar product too. I have not used it, and as far as I know there have been no confirmed cases of a blood clotting agent being used in a legitimate life threatening bleed in the US. It seems to be a product that everyone just carries for the hell of it. If anyone has heard of it being used on a legit life threatening bleed I would love to read about it, but so far all we've been able to find is a study done with sedated pigs, and a case review of a Navy Seal being stabbed in the hand (not a life threat).

When I attended a class on these products the doctors really didn't have much to say, other than "give it a try!" There's just not enough anecdotal information on blood clotting agents yet. There is another thread in this forum that talks about the military's clotting product, and how it's being pulled for further study.

The doctors I talked to also recommended celox be used on non-life threatening bleeds in some circumstances. For example, if I have a multi-systems trauma patient with a nasty scalp injury, and I have other things to attend to, I can throw the celox on the scalp so I can free up an extra set of hands that would otherwise be holding direct pressure all the way to the hospital.

Regardless, I still think it sounds like a good "for the hell of it" item to have in a survivalist's first aid kit. The packet is lightweight and doesn't take up much space. I plan on getting one for my personal kit soon.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
KytoStat comes as a gauze pad. Same stuff - shellfish derived chitin micro lattice that provides platelet aggregation sites and turns blood into a coagulated gooey jello-like mass.

I have one of those down at the house specifically for my mom, since she's on Lovenox (Enoxiparin - low molecular weight heparin)

A quick, potentially dumb scenario/question - you're out in the woods and your buddy has  a horrific bleed. Your blood type is A, and his is B. No coagulation aids available, and your "sterile" kit just fell in the mud and all your 4 by 4's or a large portion of them are contaminated. Do you use the contaminated junk, or do you bleed (your blood, assuming no potential for blood borne diseases) on the wound to initiate clotting due to conflicting cell surface antigens? Would this be a viable last-ditch effort, or is the coagulation rate from incompatible blood types too slow to stop a bleed? Would you risk something other than a blood borne disease (i.e. your blood getting into the buddy's blood stream and causing anaphylaxis or something of the sort) My thought would be to bleed on one of the clean 4 by 4's, and press that over the wound, thus creating a clot within/on the gauze that would work rather alot like KytoStat.

Just a thought.

Holmes

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Duct tape and some paint stur sticks.  and a glow stick.  small bottle of antibacterial soap. vasoline. sharpie marker. wound clenz spray bottle. steri strips.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »
http://www.craigmedical.com/Blood_typing_kit.htm

How about a few of those and some lancets, along with a cheapo blood glucose test kit - cheap ones at walgreens for 20 bucks or so, and a pack of lancets is about 10.

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:18 AM »
http://www.craigmedical.com/Blood_typing_kit.htm

How about a few of those and some lancets, along with a cheapo blood glucose test kit - cheap ones at walgreens for 20 bucks or so, and a pack of lancets is about 10.

Orion - while I agree the ability to type blood for members of your group is an important prep I don't think you meant to include this as an item in your FAK. If you are part of a survival group (or family) then by all means you should test everyone and record their ABO type in their team medical record in the event you need to transfuse someone (you do have tranfusion sets in your team aid kit right?). However, this can be accomplished via a quick visit to your Dr now while it is covered by insurance and your dollars can be spent elsewhere. If you expect to add members to your group after TSHTF AND you have the ability to transfuse (equpiment and skill set) then by all means buy a dozen typing kits to keep in your group kit - just not in your IFAK.