Author Topic: Almost free local long distance in us and canada phn service from anywhere  (Read 3958 times)

batfire

Hi Folks,  About a year ago i found a site on the internet called www.magicjack.com while i was searching for frugal ways to save money.  I usually don't believe these adds but it really got my attention.  Well to make long story short i bought the service.  Here's what i got,   i decided to take the platinum program which was for 5 years of service.  I received the modem which is only 3"x11/2' wide that plugs into my usb port.  It auto downloads and sets it's self up.  You plug the phone plug into the back of it and you have voip phone service.  Total cost to me?  I think it was 39.95 for the device and 59.95 for the 5 year plan.  Total out of pocket expenses 100.50.  That's for 5 years of phone service NO MONTHLY FEE NO NOTHING.  This is one of my best investments ever.  It paid for itself in 2mths. leaving 58mths of free service.  The service has been great and since i travel from time to time (full time rver)  I get my wifi for free at the RV parks and phn service too.  I highly recommend this device if you really want to save money.  It use to cost me 50.00 a month just for phn service us and Canada.  That's 600.00 a year!  Total savings in 5 years 2900.00. :o  Just a thought.   ;)

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: Almost free local long distance in us and canada phn service from anywhere
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
AT&T recently aquired Bellsouth (monopoly-much?) and they recently let me know that I can have DSL service without having to have a land-line home phone. This is great. I use Skype and the offer they have on calls is astounding. I do not remember off the top of my head, but it is a great way for me to save some money. I barely use my home phone and more often I use my cellphone. I will be able to save 30 something dollars off every month!!!  ;D Anyone else that has AT&T might want to look into it as well. They start allowing that in October. I can't wait!  :D

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
In our area we can already have DSL without phone service by bellsouth/ att now.  I ordered my magic jack last Friday so hopefully we can get it this week.  We are going to try this with our company to see if it works since they all carry their lasptops everywhere, all the hotels we book for them offers DSL so hopefully this will be an alternative to expensive cell phones. 

batfire

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:55:27 PM »
Majic jack now uses ATT network for there service which is very cool and I can't tell the differnce in sound and voice quality of a regular land line.

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:33:10 PM »
I received my magic jack and it works!!!! I'm not computer savy but it was extra easy to connect. 
Sound quality is great, and I only have one thing that bothers me with it.  I have to dial the area code on everything but that's
a small, very small problem.
I recommend it. 

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 01:05:54 AM »
Yeah, it's almost unbelievable, you actually do get something for almost nothing.

I've been using my magicjack for a couple of weeks now.  It's hammered home the point that it's time to upgrade the old computer though.  I have so little memory left on my computer that there is a little lag time from when the phone rings & I pick it up to when I can actually here someone on the other end.  I know that's strictly a problem with my computer though because my neighbor has one & hers works beautifully.  No lag time & sounds exactly like phone service should.

batfire

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »
Now if we could find free internet.   When I travel with my bus most of the RV parks have free wifi so magic jack works great on the road anywhere in America or Canada. 

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Just looked it up and they are offering a 30-day free trial.  The device is $39.95 plus shipping which gives you one year of service.  Additional years are $19.95.

Right now, you cannot port your current number over but they expect to be able to 'in the coming months.'

There is also a FAQ outlining the E911 capabilities.

I am all over VOIP, we have two lines in our house right now.  Our residential line is through Comcast which has proven 911 capability in our area.  My biggest fear would be one of our kids having to call 911 and either the power is out or the 911 service doesn't get their address.  They are too young to be able to use the cell phones or remember our address especially in distressing times.

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
a buddy on mine has that and he has a vriginia phone number living in upper northwest n.c. so when i call him i have to pay the long distance charge. that cheap bitch thank god he doesn't live that far away. but he seem to like the service

Offline lonestar

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 07:24:40 PM »
How about phone numbers, from what I understand you can basically pick a number from any area code to use as yours.  Is that correct?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »
How about phone numbers, from what I understand you can basically pick a number from any area code to use as yours.  Is that correct?
Basically. 

When you're setting it'll ask you your location etc.  Enter whatever you want.  Keep in mind though, if you do that & you don't use a local number your 911 service won't work.

Offline bj

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
I just purchased MagicJack a month ago, works great if you are not downloading a lot of files at the same time.  I would highly recommend it.