Author Topic: Homemade Insulin?  (Read 13831 times)

Fred_47460

Homemade Insulin?
« on: November 19, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »
Hi Gang

I've read a lot posts from folks who are diabetics and scared shitless that if TSHTF they are toast. I remember from the fiction book "Lucifers Hammer" that the really smart dude had a way of making his own Insulin. I did a little searching and found this Youtube video about a scientist who made insulin during WW2 so that his wife could survive. I'm providing a link to this video....and if I were diabetic....which I'm not....I would do a little research on this topic.

Don't ever just give up !!     

Insulin and Diabetes: The Story of Eva Saxl

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
Re: Homemade Insulin?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:15:53 PM »
Fred, thank you for the information and thank you for the disclaimer.  

It should not have to be said, but remember folks, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN with things like this.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:25:00 PM by Darkwinter »
The Goatpocolypse is near

Fred_47460

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
Fred, thank you for the information and thank you for the disclaimer. 

It should have to be said, but remember folks, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN with things like this.

Definitely DITTO on the consult your doctor. I would hope that folks wouldn't try this kinda thing just to save money on scrips. But if there is no other way to keep you or a loved one alive after some kinda apocalypse do your internet research now. I will accept absolutely NO responsibility for YOUR actions!

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:52 PM »
What a great video! 
I have been doing some research on my own for a bit about trying to make homemade antibiotics and insulin.
This was very inspirational!

Thanks!
Doc K
'But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.'

"All the world's problems can be solved in a garden."  - Geoff Lawton

Check out my blog: Temperate Climate Permaculture

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 07:53:19 AM »
What an amazing video!

That Victor Saxl saved four hundred lives as a result of his efforts to keep his life alive.

Are there any resources on the internet, or elsewhere, that explain specifically the insulin production process (in a simplified manner we may be able to adapt, not the commercial/industrial means)?

Just as most of us do, I know some friends and family members that would definitely benefit from this type of skill in a post-SHTF situation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sign up for TSP Forum Newsletter with updates and interesting forum threads: http://eepurl.com/iipvo

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
I, too, would like to know how to make insulin.  I am not diabetic but do know some people who are. 
Even if there were no cause to try to produce it ourselves (I hope & pray), the "receipe" could be on hand if my hopes & prayers aren't answered.
"The hurrier I go, the behinder I get"

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
My mom is on Lovenox.

Know how to synthesize LMW Heparin without pig intestines and hundreds of chinese ladies with very small hands and sharp knives?
You can't run away on a world that's round.
You're only comin' back to where you'll be found.

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
An absolutely amazing video! I have done some research on alternative methods of making insulin(they used water buffalo pancreas) and for him to make it under war conditions is absolutely astounding(it is not a simple process).  Thanks for sharing this with us. 8)

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:53:02 PM »
My mom is on Lovenox.

Know how to synthesize LMW Heparin without pig intestines and hundreds of chinese ladies with very small hands and sharp knives?

Eat a shit load of garlic.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
Heard about the garlic - gotta figure out how to keep her INR above 3.0 though. I think I run into the Resveratrol/Wine problem at that point - needing pounds and pounds and pounds of garlic to get the right effect, like having to drink tens of liters of wine to get a few dozen mg of Resveratrol.

I'll definitely look into it more closely.

One more reason to keep working on putting my wet lab together.

Did you know you can order custom genes and vectors on the internet? A couple grand and I could theoretically brew beer with any protien I wanted in it.

The only problem is getting that protien out... which involves yet another custom gene on the transcript and a zinc finger assay, then a specific protease.

Also there's the question of how the hell I know how to do this outside of academia...

*dies in a fire*

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:35:46 AM »
like having to drink tens of liters of wine to get a few dozen mg of Resveratrol.

I, sir... I volunteer to test this on my body.

Offline DivineMomentsofTruth

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
Would a Coldfinger work in helping to reduce the tonnage of garlic one would pressumably need to consume ..... into an extract of conciderable less quantity ?

just curious ....cuz that would be a piece of cake.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:39 PM »
if it truly were SHTF, as long as it's after next june/july, I'll have my wetlab set up, on solar, and I'll just be able to brew up whatever I need in yeast or bacteria, then extract it. Insulin and Heparin are proteins, so it's FAR easier to dose a bacterium with a vector and grow the hell out of it than to try and run something like an organic synthesis reaction with sh*t tons of hydrocarbon reagents.

Something like aspirin or caffeine, that's more likely to be an organic chemistry thing.

Either way, I'll have the equivalent of about $100K in equipment, and should be able to make everything I need to run the lab, in the lab. It'll take a ton of automation, but within a year I should have a nice library of primers and a selection of recombinant microbes frozen back for use in a pinch. I'll keep you posted on these projects as they mature, and I might even set it up as a nonprofit research group so we could all contribute a small amount (20 bucks?) with the promise of a Post Apocalyptic ROI. I think the most expensive/complex thing to get would be a sequencer, but I'd really only need that if I was going to be working on something crazy like a vaccine. Seriously doubt that's where my research will go, but we'll see.

And yes, in case you were wondering, I am Iron Man Tony Stark.

If you're interested in what got me started thinking about building my own lab, check out:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/282/11/1021

If you have further interest in that research, or what the hell they're talking about, just PM me. It's so simple it's obscene. And again, yes, THIS beer can cure HIV. (they used yeast to produce the protein).

Cheers

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:35 AM »
Would a Coldfinger work in helping to reduce the tonnage of garlic one would pressumably need to consume ..... into an extract of conciderable less quantity ?

just curious ....cuz that would be a piece of cake.

I suspect that would be very difficult and expensive to test. Assuming you could come up with a way to produce a garlic tonic with a consistent level of whatever garlic has that thins blood, you would have to test animals and then some people with thrombophlebitis or a-fib who would agree to stop taking their lovenox or coumadin. Then you'd need to do regular blood draws and find a way to test their INR.

You'd risk killing someone if you made your anti-coagulant garlic potion too weak or too strong. It would probably be unethical and illegal for non-doctors to do this save for the event of a complete breakdown of society where life was on the line  :-\

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
I agree. Manufacturing your own pharmaceutical replacements is rather dangerous, and even post-shtf, shouldn't really be a #1 consideration.

IIRC, heparin is made from pig intestines, so it might be a better strategy to find a source for the actual feedstocks, get them as close to the medication form as possible (i.e., sterilized intestines vs. a whole, live, pig) and THEN it'll still be a pain in the butt, if not dangerous as hell, to get your formulations right.

Insulin's a bit different since you can coax yeast or bacteria into producing a protien you want, and almost nothing but the protien, so it's much easier to extract, purify, and meter a dose.

One other problem with heparins is you need to do blood tests to check your PT and INR (heparain vs. warfarin/snake venom vs. rat poison) so you'd have a whole other suite of problems to deal with in terms of not knowing you had a high or low dose until you had clinically significant symptom presentation.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
Great video, and great thread!

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:27:56 PM »
There is a reference to a book: Beckman's Internal Medicine from a Wikipedia entry about Eva Saxl.  I cannot find the book, but it is said to describe the method

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Saxl

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/48/12/2270

The above article is posted for information value only and is not intended for any other purposes.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/48/12/2270

The above article is posted for information value only and is not intended for any other purposes.

Fantastic!  Great article.  +1  Thanks!

Doc K
'But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.'

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »
I remember " Lucifer's Hammer" An excellent book and I recommend it to anyone preparing for bad times. It is an excellent read and one of the best fiction books out there concerning end of the world scenarios and how people would really react during this situation. There is a segment in there about a man who is diabetic and he mentions using sheep to create insulin for his diabetes ( an insidious disease) This book contains almost every aspect of what would happen during an end of the world type emergency. You want to know how to prepare? This book will give you the scenario and from it you will be able to understand what it really takes.

Offline 2mommas

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 02:44:13 AM »
I have a neice who has been  a brittle diabetic, since age 5.   We were discussing her need for insulin, in the event of a disaster situation.    She expressed her concern more,  for the need  to have something  that would prevent  hypoglycemia.
She said she had thought about it and decided  that she  could suffice with some peanut butter, and some karo syrup in her backpack.   If food supplies are  short,  then this might be  an important issue.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 07:03:28 AM »
I have a neice who has been  a brittle diabetic, since age 5.   We were discussing her need for insulin, in the event of a disaster situation.    She expressed her concern more,  for the need  to have something  that would prevent  hypoglycemia.
She said she had thought about it and decided  that she  could suffice with some peanut butter, and some karo syrup in her backpack.   If food supplies are  short,  then this might be  an important issue.

As mentioned previously, in a long term situation, insulin will be a very hot commodity.  Many people will die without access to it.  In a short-term scenario, especially for only a few weeks (and a person has access to insulin) then foods to prevent hypoglycemia will be vital as well.

Doc K

Offline Mom of 7

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
It feels really really cheesy to even tell you about this product, but honestly I would be remiss in not telling people who are insulin dependent and want to prepare for long term survival.  Yes, I do sell it, and that's why I feel cheesy telling you. BUT......this product is helping diabetics get off their insulin, metformin and diabetic pills. It's helping people to get off their cholesterol medicine, their blood pressure medicine, and their reflux medicine. I have local members of our state militia group using this product and it's working.  They are getting off their meds and are stock piling this product.

It works by leveling your blood sugar and helps you to lose weight. It's safe for everyone, even very old people on many many medications.  It's made of all natural ingredients and it's an easy to consume drink (not a shake) that you use once a day. I have incredible testimonies in my family and that is why I am sharing it here in this forum.

If you want to learn more, you can visit the website at www.plexusslim.com/37040  and please forgive the fact that I do sell it.  I would tell you about it even if I didn't.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
Could you please tell us what is in Plexus Slim, and link us to any evidence based medicine documentation that you have? Thank you I am very interested in this wonder product if it does in fact do all that you say, and if it has been proven to work by accepted scientific standards.

Offline Mom of 7

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
I would love to tell you about the ingredients in this product. I did extensive research before putting my father-in-law on this product because I was worried about contraindications. I was "SOLD" after the first 2 ingredients, I was MAD when I finished my research.  Mad at our failed medical system, at the doctors who can't see past prescription medication and at patients who won't take their medical care in their own hands and do research.   

My husband and I are both in the medical field, I am a Cytologist and he a Physical Therapist. We are also a couple of redneck yahoo survival nuts  :)

This product was created by Dave Brown, a Mormon in Salt Lake City and a friend of his who is a chemist. It was created to help diabetics become less insulin dependent.  They were going thru the FDA approval process when they discovered in their clinical trials the number one side effect was weight loss. They pulled their FDA application and decided to go the all natural route and market it as a weight loss product that is safe for diabetics.  There is a video under the testimonial tabs at my website goplexus.com where Dave Brown tells about the product.

Indredients: You only have to go as far as Wikipedia to be amazed by the ingredients and I'm not sure how much detail you want.

Chlorogenic Acid - This compound, long known as an antioxidant, also slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal.   http://www.ajcn.org/content/78/4/728.full

Cirtrin K - comes from Garcinia Cambogia- which in the past has been used for edema, constipation and rheumatism. It is also used as an appetite suppressant and can be bought in any health food store. The help of getting off excess fluid is the part of this product that really excites my husband because the majority of his patients have 4+ pitting edema, even thought they are ALL on Lasix medication.

Alpha Lipoic Acid - this ingredient in my opinion is the rock star! The research is far and wide and could never be discussed here in such a way to really educate the many different things it does. Every man woman and child needs to be on this supplement in my opinion. So even if you aren't interested in Plexus, go get some of this and get on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_lipoic_acid

Oxypregnane steriodial glycoside - aka P57- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P57_(glycoside)

Amino Nicotinate GTF - aka GTF Chromium http://www.springerlink.com/content/d1411823505k9p87/

Beet root - Another "rock star" ingredient http://jap.physiology.org/content/110/3/585.extract
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beetroot

Grape Skin Extract - (Resveratrol) Yet another wonderful ingredient that much has been discovered about, there is so much excellent research about this ingredient, I can't do it justice in this forum.

This product is sweetened by Stevia and Lo-han, both natural sweeteners.

Let me challenge anyone interested in this product and what it is doing, to do their own research.  Don't listen to me.  You can find the entire list of ingredients at the website.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »

One other problem with heparins is you need to do blood tests to check your PT and INR (heparain vs. warfarin/snake venom vs. rat poison) so you'd have a whole other suite of problems to deal with in terms of not knowing you had a high or low dose until you had clinically significant symptom presentation.

In regards to lovenox and heparins- There are no real indications for long term usage of the drug, so it wouldn't really be an issue-
The only indication that might apply is prophylaxis in cancer patients with a central catheter, and if that's you in the SHTF, you have a lot more to worry about than blood clots...

peace-
JCM

"like so many others, wonders what heck is up with the inflatable goat thing"

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »
Many insulin "dependent" diabetics are Type 2 diabetics and could actually control their insulin levels through healthy choices.  Proper diet and exercise can wean most Type 2 off medication all together.  Many natural compounds found in different foods can help you meet your goals.